Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

blugu64 posted:

:lol: get a job and a haircut
i forgot some GBS posters are dead-on-the-inside alcoholic Gen X'ers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
we've got hair all over our face // and we're praying at steve job's grave // millenial *you only live twice hook*

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What kind of person doesn't wear a suit/equivalent to an interview? :staredog:

Excluding fast food or warehouses or the kind of places with pinball machines in the lobby I guess?

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 21, 2015

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Strategic Tea posted:

Excluding fast food and the kind of places with pinball machines in the lobby I guess?

And they wonder why they have a hard time finding work when that is considered appropriate.

Act like you want the job.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Excluding fast food or warehouses or the kind of places with pinball machines in the lobby I guess?

YOLO

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Accretionist posted:

edit: ^^^ OnShift did nothing wrong.

Depends on where you are in the country. Where I'm living now, it'd be fine. Where I grew up, she'd be rejected for dressing like teenager.

The other part of this is that if she was being interview as a UI developer she might have to, you know, interact with the client. If OnShift is doing management software for Old Folks homes that is a lot stuffy old people she would have to be meeting with where dressing professionally is even more important.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BexGu posted:

The other part of this is that if she was being interview as a UI developer she might have to, you know, interact with the client. If OnShift is doing management software for Old Folks homes that is a lot stuffy old people she would have to be meeting with where dressing professionally is even more important.

Hey buddy, she is brilliant and gonna change the world. Clients can go gently caress themselves if they want to pass on the opportunity to work with her, for totally superficial reasons like her appearance.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

BexGu posted:

She's dressed to run the coat room at a nightclub.

Even engineers shave and put on a collared shirt for interviews.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pandemonium posted:

What the hell. That's the North Quad at Oberlin. Looks like, poo poo I forget the name of the dorm, Noah, maybe? God drat the current batch of Obies suck!
lena dunham graduated from oberlin

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Sorry but interview girl is fine. When you grow up and get into a real company outside of the industry of burgers and fries, you will see.

whatever "real" company you work for is poo poo

and i would dress nicer than that for a burger and fries interview because im not 15 and i know the importance of first impressions

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
She's dressed okay as far as I can tell. Neutral clothing, no weird accessories. She wouldn't have gotten poo poo about her clothes here..

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well kids there are like, different sorts of workplaces ya know

Some of them would be appropriate to wear a suit for, others actually wouldn't. For example I once applied to a production studio and literally no one in that entire building wore anything fancier than a designer tshirt. Something neat but not overly dressed up was the best fit for that place

I've also worked at more corporate places where pretty much everyone is in at least a dress shirt

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Can we all agree that if the adjective "skater" is the best descriptor for your clothes, you're under-dressed?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Some of them would be appropriate to wear a suit for, others actually wouldn't. For example I once applied to a production studio and literally no one in that entire building wore anything fancier than a designer tshirt. Something neat but not overly dressed up was the best fit for that place

I've also worked at more corporate places where pretty much everyone is in at least a dress shirt

Yeah guess which one the company that does scheduling for old folks homes is.

jneer posted:

Can we all agree that if the adjective "skater" is the best descriptor for your clothes, you're under-dressed?
Not if you work at the skate park see haha gotcha

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Some of them would be appropriate to wear a suit for, others actually wouldn't. For example I once applied to a production studio and literally no one in that entire building wore anything fancier than a designer tshirt. Something neat ibut not overly dressed up was the best fit for that place

Nobody is going to mind that you overdress for an interview but underdressing can hurt your chances.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

notZaar posted:

Nobody is going to mind that you overdress for an interview but underdressing can hurt your chances.

I'm not sure coming into an interview in full top hat, tails and a cane will work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stinky_Pete posted:

Yeah guess which one the company that does scheduling for old folks homes is.

And remember, the company is not in California, where most of those pictures are from, but Ohio.

In California, no one wears suits unless they're doing it ironically, going to court (rarely even then unless they're a lawyer)/funeral/wedding, or going to an interview. That is not the norm for the nation.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Listen

Only "Rich as gently caress" people are allowed to underdress in professional settings

Even Steve Jobs wore suits and poo poo before he made his billions

If you NEED this job and have to go through an interview, you're a loving plebe and you have to play by the rules, and the rules do not include you dressing like a hot topic bargain hunter

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zzulu posted:

again, interview clothing says "this is how much of a poo poo i give" not "this is what i plan to wear every day i work here"

i really don't think you can overdress for an interview, even for the most free spirit casual workplace, because all it does is indicate how seriously you are taking the interview, it really shouldn't "express" anything about you, that's what your personality is for

i really can't imagine anyone not hiring you because you dressed too professionally for an interview

jneer posted:

it's just a style of skirt

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

notZaar posted:

maybe a checkered hat and cape, and a pipe + magnifying glass. makes you look like you know what you are doing. chicks dig that. (and please cover your knees, when you walk around interview places)

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

waitwhatno posted:

maybe a checkered hat and cape, and a pipe + magnifying glass. makes you look like you know what you are doing. chicks dig that. (and please cover your knees, when you walk around interview places)

That's how I got my job as Detective.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dress for interviews in a way that is appropriate for the company, going to an interview for a corporation that does support for old people means you need to dress conservatively and professional. FFS it is a corporation, they aren't testing your fashion choice, it's to see if you can present yourself in a way that wouldn't embarrass the company in front of everyone else.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

I'm not sure coming into an interview in full top hat, tails and a cane will work.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Also the last thing a Corp wants in employees is "People who are going to change the world" who seriously believe it

Just do your job bitch

If anything she confirmed the interviewer was right

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:negative: he wore that ridiculous thing for him. :(

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

just playing some smash at the office smash tourny #venmo.

These kinds of work places all depend on the company. I remember all of those stories about 90s DotCom start-ups before the bubble and how people with a ton of money and little business experience would turn their work place into "fun zones" and blow way too much money on all this bullshit and go belly-up a year later or dissolve entirely. I think there was a story about John Romero doing dumb poo poo like that and obviously going bankrupt. Obviously the image is just a bunch of people playing vidya in a cleared out office room, but obnoxious millenial start-ups blowing money on arcade game machine and foosball rooms and hammocks are no different than their predecessors.

Anyway, except for a few of these places (like Instagram), I feel like a lot of these online "hip idea" companies have their flash in the pan (if they make it far) and then close up when people shift to something else.

It would take a category 5 hurricane to get that brick of hair to slightly move. I think putting so much product into the hair has to accelerate or cause balding of some sort.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haier posted:

It would take a category 5 hurricane to get that brick of hair to slightly move. I think putting so much product into the hair has to accelerate or cause balding of some sort.

99% chance its just pomade and his hair isn't hard at all

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The thing that I hate most about his hair is that it's straight-up shaved from a clear line on the sides. It looks like he has mange.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

mr. mephistopheles posted:

99% chance its just pomade and his hair isn't hard at all

This is not the look of a Dapper Dan man.
Clearly he uses FOP.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Stinky_Pete posted:

The thing that I hate most about his hair is that it's straight-up shaved from a clear line on the sides. It looks like he has mange.

I just now noticed he has a suit jacket and tie on. The rest was so distracting I never noticed before.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

JB50 posted:

I just now noticed he has a suit jacket and tie on. The rest was so distracting I never noticed before.

It's the usual attire for those interested in bare knuckle fist o cuffs.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ghlbtsk posted:

This is not the look of a Dapper Dan man.
Clearly he uses FOP.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

VendaGoat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXn6sM4uX7c

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

millennial.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mS-F4k4TnY

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Haier posted:

These kinds of work places all depend on the company. I remember all of those stories about 90s DotCom start-ups before the bubble and how people with a ton of money and little business experience would turn their work place into "fun zones" and blow way too much money on all this bullshit and go belly-up a year later or dissolve entirely. I think there was a story about John Romero doing dumb poo poo like that and obviously going bankrupt. Obviously the image is just a bunch of people playing vidya in a cleared out office room, but obnoxious millenial start-ups blowing money on arcade game machine and foosball rooms and hammocks are no different than their predecessors.

Anyway, except for a few of these places (like Instagram), I feel like a lot of these online "hip idea" companies have their flash in the pan (if they make it far) and then close up when people shift to something else.

Isn't there a part of it that's like trying to incorporate the japanese salaryman mindset? Someone explained it in the yospos tech bubble thread, how google was studying the salaryman culture in order to get workers to sacrifice for the company. It's something like the company wants you to internalize your role as an employee and make it part of your identity, so they have all this goofy poo poo there because they want you to 'work' there for 15 hours a day, and voluntarily on weekends, for no extra pay. And these dumb millenials eat it up.

As opposed to older generations, for whom the 5 o'clock whistle means they can go back to their actual lives. It's part of the reason there's an age bias in the tech industry.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

red19fire posted:

Isn't there a part of it that's like trying to incorporate the japanese salaryman mindset? Someone explained it in the yospos tech bubble thread, how google was studying the salaryman culture in order to get workers to sacrifice for the company. It's something like the company wants you to internalize your role as an employee and make it part of your identity, so they have all this goofy poo poo there because they want you to 'work' there for 15 hours a day, and voluntarily on weekends, for no extra pay. And these dumb millenials eat it up.

As opposed to older generations, for whom the 5 o'clock whistle means they can go back to their actual lives. It's part of the reason there's an age bias in the tech industry.
And look how well that's working out for Japan. A stagnating economy partly due to population decline. Plus, you've got those pesky labor laws, but I guess those can be changed with the right kind of lobbying.

I don't think that will work easily in a western culture and without a guarantee of lifetime employment. But as labor will get increasingly devalued, who knows?

E: as far as dumb millennials eating it up, you might have a point. Their lives have been so structured even "play" got penciled in. It'll be interesting how this culture will collide with the social justice culture.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 22, 2015

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-bEiBxIj0 :morning:

naem
May 29, 2011

It's interesting to contrast a 25 year old with the programming skills to earn $200k at say Google, and a 25 year old with a degree or two in a more traditional field who struggles to find work and lives at home and is trapped in retail part time struggling. I've known people who were in group B after law school

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The ads walk among us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
The dress is fine. The problem is that there's a fat chick in it.

• Locked thread