Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

When will then be now?

Tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have negotiated presents for and from my family, so we always know what each other is getting, because - shock horror - gifts aren't actually what Christmas is about.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

That's a Ugly Christmas Sweater party winner if I ever saw one.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"Well, it's round, has a bunch of squirrels and it has 7 billion people on it who aren't paying me rent..."

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

9 Chickweed Lane

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is such bullshit; nobody ever calls for the store hours. They just walk up to the doors 10 minutes after closing, rattle the door, and yell for you to open because they "just need one thing".

Ugh. I was out with some friends one night having a good time when they decided to take the party home, but first we needed to make a booze run. So we went to the local liquor store which had just closed. I felt like the biggest rear end in a top hat ever when my friends got the people inside to let us in just to get one thing. And then I felt like an even bigger rear end in a top hat when, after running aimlessly up and down the aisles a couple of times, my friends suddenly decided that we already had whatever alcohol we needed at their place. "I am so, so, sorry," I said to the employees. They said it was ok. But I saw the frozenness in their smiles, the complete lack of any happiness in their eyes. It wasn't ok. It wasn't ok at all.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

This comic strip sounds too intense for my young grandchildren. Maybe, if they had some cute pets, and some of the strips were just them looking at the cute pets and saying, "gosh, it's our cute pet!!" Do you think that would be all right?

Look here, patriot, this country is at war and you are sounding dangerously like you might not care about our troops. You better put one or more of those pets in an American Flag bandanna.

Wowee! Piraro just debunked all of religion with that incredibly astute and original observation!

Luann

I guess it was a one-woman show.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Ew! Peter, now is not the time! There are lives at stake!

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I love how we saw nothing of what was going on. Were there people there? What was the show? Did anyone else perform or show off art? Is it like a dinner theater? :iiam:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
TJ made tater tots with fuses stuck into them.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love how we saw nothing of what was going on. Were there people there? What was the show? Did anyone else perform or show off art? Is it like a dinner theater? :iiam:

Maybe it's purgatory/Narnia after they all died in a train crash, and this horrid strip is ending.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Inspector Danger

I'm sure somebody will figure it out right away, but no, I did not edit out any clues.

Deep Dark Fears

Yes, make your child more anxious about the problem, that's sure to solve things

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

For some reason, I'm reminded of this:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

I'm sure somebody will figure it out right away, but no, I did not edit out any clues.

this one goes out to all those children who have memorised sherlock holmes' apartment number

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

dordreff answered it already, but I like the fact that drilling the safe is impossible, nope, dynamite is the only option.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is guest written by James Allen.
I like the foreground bird in the second panel, but if it were actually Jackelrod's Mark Trail there would have also been an extreme distance shot and one where it looked like an animal or building was talking.

Ghostlight posted:

I have negotiated presents for and from my family, so we always know what each other is getting, because - shock horror - gifts aren't actually what Christmas is about.
So why bother with them at all?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (December 23, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Four (November 23-25, 1953)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Not as great as the week off they're getting between Christmas and New Year, with no plan on how to maintain interest after opening night, no actual staff to be seen, no sign of bookkeeping at all. They didn't have to worry about paying for any renovations and they are still poised to be losing at least $20,000 per month. They really need to just sell it off and cut their losses.

...I don't know why I always get so frustrated with Luann, it's just so insufferable and consequence free and I can't stand it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

dirksteadfast posted:

...I don't know why I always get so frustrated with Luann, it's just so insufferable and consequence free and I can't stand it.

Remember, this is the same strip that had someone commit arson and insurance fraud, then get away scot free.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

Luann sits in some kind of uncanny valley of blandness, where it's exactly dull and inoffensive enough to drive you right up the loving wall.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 22, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

dordreff answered it already, but I like the fact that drilling the safe is impossible, nope, dynamite is the only option.

And why are documents worth millions kept in that safe instead of temperature and humidity controlled archives?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tiggum posted:

So why bother with them at all?
Because it's a good cultural framework for getting the extended family together, having a good meal, and a chat. A tradition, one might say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BigDave posted:

Remember, this is the same strip that had someone commit arson and insurance fraud, then get away scot free.
I don't know if it makes it better or worse that that was actually voted on by the GoComics audience. The people who cared enough to vote actually wanted him to get away with it.

Ghostlight posted:

Because it's a good cultural framework for getting the extended family together, having a good meal, and a chat. A tradition, one might say.
You can do all the rest without presents though (or just presents for the kids).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BigDave posted:

And named the successor the "Cafe Kablooey".

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

That is impressive! She was such a troll before.

Big Ben Bolt (Originally printed in 1955, for anybody who wants a little time context.)

I hope Ben's story isn't boring you, Mr. District Attorney.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 11/02/14

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

For some reason, we are in reruns this week. Enjoy this clunker from 2008.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

They'll be cleaning up ping-pong balls for weeks.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

"The last thing he did was set his safe combination to 221B. That has to be a clue. Alfie, book Sherlock Holmes for murder one, and prepare room 101."

What kind of Inspector Danger comic is this, anyway? Where are the four suspects, only one of whom stands to get rich off of the documents and who therefore must have murdered the writer, knowing Inspector Danger would find out the combination?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

My Lovely Horse posted:

"The last thing he did was set his safe combination to 221B. That has to be a clue. Alfie, book Sherlock Holmes for murder one, and prepare room 101."

What kind of Inspector Danger comic is this, anyway? Where are the four suspects, only one of whom stands to get rich off of the documents and who therefore must have murdered the writer, knowing Inspector Danger would find out the combination?

The good inspector is too busy embezzling funds from a dead author's estate to pin a crime on a patsy today.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Doesn't this run contrary to the old chestnut about "No we don't hide the good stuff in the back room"?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015

And then he realized he put his foot in it...

Berke on Facebook (one hour later) posted:

Bloomers-- the Vader misspelling was a tough editing call, as that's how it came over from Garfield's creator. In the end, BB had too much respect for Jim Davis to alter his work. --mgt.

In my headcanon, he's referring to Darth Vader's non-union Mexican equivalent.

Skippy (October 23, 1928)

Peanuts (January 7, 1969)

Looks like the Eternal Rerun Machine is skipping over the 1968 Christmas week sequence. That's a bummer, because I know how much you people love complaining about Snoopy's intensely detailed fantasy life.

Funky Winkerbean

And then the dog hangs itself.

Meanwhile, Rip Haywire is TOTALLY GOING THERE.

Thimble Theater (July 10, 1929)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Better turn around. You're in the Wrong Place Comix.

Pooch Café

If that cathedral wasn't named for St. Francis, he never would have gotten past the front door.

Ballard Street

Ha ha, [current presidential candidate] must be the chair! What a bunch of clowns those [political party]s are!

Lost Side of Suburbia

Pretend I carried on the above joke by labeling the mooks 'Debt' 'The Refugee Debate' 'San Francisco Housing Bubble' and 'Vriska.'

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Apologies for these updates coming in late, I has a busy few days at work and a very specific creative process. My hand is experiencing fibromyalgae and I've had to bring in guest artists, my kid is sick, my brother just came out, my parents became vegetarians, and my dog got diabetes and not the good kind.

A3G

Everything is coming together and we are rapidly approaching our climax.

Due to artist error the above two strips had to be hastily rewritten. Also, please note the immersion you experience from today's strip due to the blurriness. I hope you will be able to better empathize with Greg, who has lost his contacts and is having to wear a backup out of date prescription.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The tension of A3G has me scooting forward near the edge of my seat!

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

EasyEW posted:

Pogo (December 23, 1957)

My grandma had Alzheimer's and was staying with my aunt. She called the dog Pogo, and nobody knew why for years until I stumbled across the comic strip.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Woah, meta.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Retail[/b]

Doesn't this run contrary to the old chestnut about "No we don't hide the good stuff in the back room"?
Maybe Cooper was hiding it for himself to buy after his shift, but thought instead he'd give it to this woman for her "kid" in a "true meaning of Christmas" gesture thing. That would make the joke's punch a little stronger, but I suppose that much subtext would be difficult to fit into a one-shot strip.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

Mandrake apparently didn't think of that and was just going to let his guests drive up and die in one of his many deadly booby traps. "Why don't my friends visit when they say they are?" he used to wonder. "I'm so lonely :("

F Minus

Mary Worth

"You know the apartment isn't that small we can hear you in the bedroom from the kitchen."

Rex Morgan MD

Better not let Sarah hear you all talking about how perfect the new baby is. She may get jealous, and an angry demon child is something you do not want.

Secret Agent X-9

If meeting him is Wong he don't want to be white.

Apartment 3-G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW7Op86ox9g

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley Today we learn where Grampa Skeezy got his hankerin’ for long pork.

Heavenly Nostrils Picture, if you will, a constipated unicorn:

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I checked and this is real :psyduck:

• Locked thread