Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Agreed, there are so many non enterable places. As it will be my first game mod I don't want to go overboard and make everything opened up. Just ones that look blatant or perhaps a little hidden. I might also try to add sewer systems to each of the main cities. If I get REALLY decent at doing it, and that's a bit if, then I will try to link the sewers too.

On the other hand, I'd say there are a ton of enterable places too- Downtown and Cambridge are both big enough with enough marked and unmarked locations that it gets kind of maze-y. Not to say there should be fewer...but I'd probably look at the smaller towns/suburbs (not sure what Bostonians call them) to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

On the other hand, I'd say there are a ton of enterable places too- Downtown and Cambridge are both big enough with enough marked and unmarked locations that it gets kind of maze-y. Not to say there should be fewer...but I'd probably look at the smaller towns/suburbs (not sure what Bostonians call them) to start.

I am definitely talking about the smaller places. Concord, Lexington, Malden and the like are where I had the idea. I'd quite like to make the places on the outer edges of the map be a bit more accessible. I feel like they'd not see as much destruction as a major city would.

I always liked the expanded interiors project from 3 and New Vegas. As well as World of Pain. I'm inspired by them!

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Sylink posted:

Advanced Zones is good. More spawns is poo poo that will gently caress your save, just a weekly reminder to not use that mod.

Is More Spawns another dirty cell editing mod? I'm using it, no problems so far, but only installed at the weekend ...

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

kilinrax posted:

Is More Spawns another dirty cell editing mod? I'm using it, no problems so far, but only installed at the weekend ...

Yes, More Spawns directly edits world cells, which will gently caress your poo poo up.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also people in this thread reported it would cut their framerates to a third or lower of what they usually got.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Amstrad posted:

Yes, More Spawns directly edits world cells, which will gently caress your poo poo up.

So what would you recommend to up the combat difficulty? Something like Remove rubberbanding and High_Level_Scale?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

kilinrax posted:

So what would you recommend to up the combat difficulty? Something like Remove rubberbanding and High_Level_Scale?

I personally don't play the game for difficult combat so can't really give any recommendations. I'm sure someone else has an opinion on it though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm curious how difficult it is to make actual new dialogue stuff. Like I don't think the voiced protagonist is really an issue because there are plenty of generic dialogue repurpose. But it feels like the little cut scenes might be really finnicky.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm curious how difficult it is to make actual new dialogue stuff. Like I don't think the voiced protagonist is really an issue because there are plenty of generic dialogue repurpose. But it feels like the little cut scenes might be really finnicky.

The little cutscenes can actually be broken out of at any time, its just a different camera angle really. If you talk to someone who is allready talking the camera will switch to that angle and lock you in.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Settlement nerds- I decided to put a room above the north entrance/collapsed wall at The Castle...but I can't think of what to put there. I'm probably going to just make it a bar, but any better ideas? It feels like a glass walled bar on top of Minuteman HQ would really be asking for trouble.

What mod are you using for the glass wall / window things?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I want the Atom Cats to be their own faction and have a rockabilly radio station.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

What mod are you using for the glass wall / window things?

snap n' build- greenhouses. It basically adds the greenhouse assets from Greygarden to the settlement build menu. It's great for adding something unique to your settlements and will generally play nice with the other wall/floor/ceiling elements in the game. Sadly the normal rectangular greenhouse wall is like a foot or two shorter than the wood/metal walls, so it tends to look bad if you just throw a singe greenhouse wall into a building.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

In my non settlement-building mod wishlist, I'd like it if someone figured out how to change the Combat Zone and the Racetrack in to something other than another place you kill raiders at. I don't even need it to be fancy and you get to bet on fights or whatever. Sadly I imagine you'd need new voice assets to make it all work.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Damnit,, I have reduced to & exported the postman uniforms shoes as an .obj but I cannot import them into nifskope.

staberind fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 23, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I want the Atom Cats to be their own faction and have a rockabilly radio station.

Anything is better than vending machine liberators or vending machine worshippers who live in a metal balloon

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

staberind posted:

Damnit,, I have reduced to & exported the postman uniforms shoes as an .obj but I cannot import them into nifskope.

Yup, current limitation due to a change in the format unique to Fallout 4.
If not for that change we could be getting custom meshes into the game already.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

In my non settlement-building mod wishlist, I'd like it if someone figured out how to change the Combat Zone and the Racetrack in to something other than another place you kill raiders at. I don't even need it to be fancy and you get to bet on fights or whatever. Sadly I imagine you'd need new voice assets to make it all work.

Is there really nothing else going on a the racetrack? In my first playthrough I slaughtered everything, but I've been avoiding it in my new playthrough with the hopes that I would get an interesting quest or something there...

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

greatBigJerk posted:

Is there really nothing else going on a the racetrack? In my first playthrough I slaughtered everything, but I've been avoiding it in my new playthrough with the hopes that I would get an interesting quest or something there...

I'm pretty sure there isn't :(

Since it's not a marked location nobody will ever ask you even to go kill them.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

I'm 99% sure I've been sent to the racetrack to murder assholes.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

greatBigJerk posted:

Nothing. You show up, raiders shoot you, you kill them and possibly the robots. No quests, no settlement to be had, no interaction. Wasted opportunity.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

boneration posted:

I'm 99% sure I've been sent to the racetrack to murder assholes.

Seconding this. I had already wiped out fast eddie or whatever, and had the surviving bots just wander around slaughtering whatevs for the *because I can*

Dienes posted:

Nothing. You show up, raiders shoot you, you kill them and possibly the robots. No quests, no settlement to be had, no interaction. Wasted opportunity.

On the other hand, that leaves it relativly free for [whatever group you choose] to turn it into a pleasure/thunderdome, maybe get some revenue from betting on races, fights or robopimping.

Amstrad posted:

Yup, current limitation due to a change in the format unique to Fallout 4.
If not for that change we could be getting custom meshes into the game already.

Well, some people are managing to put crap in. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6044/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D6044&pUp=1 but you have to console it in,
also, Caliente and the gang have a beta of bodyslide up on loverslab already, however, as expected, conformulating clothes meshes to work with them are still W.i.P.

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 23, 2015

jred250
Sep 7, 2003
F Zero Novice

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm really curious on this point because I'm curious to see how you can implement more than 4 options in dialogue. In the past Bethesda games, you could have a bigass list of dialogue options for any NPC, but how do you weave in new options without overwriting existing options? To even tackle the issue, you would have to have another mod that allowed for a different layout and more selectable options, but now this theoretical mod is going to be a minimum requirement for any mod that adds new dialogue options for existing NPCs. What a loving mess you made for modders to sort out, Bethesda.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah adding anything to the game that would involve dialogue (new quests, skill checks for things that aren't charisma, new options for existing quests etc) runs into a pretty serious wall from the combination of voiced player character, 4 option dialogue limit, and the redundancy of those options where very often 3 (or even all 4) of them lead to the exact same thing and the NPC's response dialogue is the same for each option as a result.

You could possibly get around the voiced played character with either a huge amount of effort spent stitching lines together (will probably sound janky no matter how good you are at it) or just the assumption that your new lines will not be voiced and the player will have to use the silent PC mod if they don't want it to be inconsistent with the rest of the game. Neither is a great solution though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I read Nexus mods was hacked a week or so ago, and some of the mods had harmful code injected or something? Is that all cleared up now

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/12675/

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Note that unless you use the same password everywhere and it is also a lovely password you are probably safe. It takes a long time to crack good passwords and most crackers will simply grab the easy ones from these types of hash dumps.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is it possible for a mod to reduce the number of times characters cycle into the smoking animation? It's really bad and some NPCs (Desdemona, Piper) do it to the point of utter distraction.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Is it possible for a mod to reduce the number of times characters cycle into the smoking animation? It's really bad and some NPCs (Desdemona, Piper) do it to the point of utter distraction.

The best way I have found is to leave piper in her house and shoot desdemona in her bitch face.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Sylink posted:

Note that unless you use the same password everywhere and it is also a lovely password you are probably safe. It takes a long time to crack good passwords and most crackers will simply grab the easy ones from these types of hash dumps.

It depends a lot on their hashing scheme. Current gen GPUs can calculate around 10 billion MD5 hashes per second, so even "strong" passwords for a normal person (say 9-10 random characters) get cracked fairly quickly.

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 23, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Is there a mod which allows the PC to get full XP when their companion kills something they haven't damaged? I've been giving my companions some crazy good weapons but unless I do damage to the enemy, I don't get the XP for the kill. What I would like to happen is, like, I get jumped by four Raiders - Hancock takes two out, I take two out, we move on. But as it is if I were to do it that way I'd get half the XP from the encounter since if I don't actively engage all four enemies then anyone hancock kills gives me no XP.

I guess they did it that way on purpose to try to make sure people don't just arm their companions with fat men / missile launchers / whatever and take the 'companions can't hurt you' perk to let the AI do all the fighting for you but it seems dumb to penalize the player for decking out their companion with really great poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

It is a marked location and I've gotten a "go kill the raiders" settlement quest for it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Using Homemaker I for some reason cannot access the Wooden Walls tab. I googled and saw a few other people with the same problem but didn't see any fixes.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
It turns out there's a cap on the number of Workbench categories. A few mods have added 'build blockers' that remove their categories whilst leaving their content- might be worth checking for.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
I got Homemaker and there are no Christmas lights, dang :( I just wanna string some lights along my porch. Is there a mod that'll play nice with Homemaker and OCDecorator that adds light strings?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I really hate that there are multiple mods that do the same things but there isn't one that incorporates all of them.

SSEx
Homemaker
Snap and Build Greenhouse
NX Pro Farming
Alternate Settlements
Expanded Settlement Buildings

Why cant they all just be in a single package, the only one that eve adds new assets is Alternate Settlements. For the life of me I cant get them to all be installed and play nice together.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Would it be possible to let the automatic laser musket be modded without the GECK? Went from super excited to super disappointed when I got it and then found out it can't be modded. Makes no sense for when you get it too, my plasma gun was doing double the damage when you add in its ballistic damage while also being much faster and easier to use.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

REJOICE ye Unwashed Goones, the First Edition of CBBE for Fallout 4 is here and barbie-doll plastic as ever!

:nws:http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15/:nws:

EDIT: \/\/\/ poo poo! Sorry, edited for tags

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 24, 2015

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

REJOICE ye Unwashed Goones, the First Edition of CBBE for Fallout 4 is here and barbie-doll plastic as ever!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15/

For anyone who doesn't already know what that is its NWS.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone encountered an issue with fallout mod manager where you did the fo4 config updates and mod manager still acts like you haven't done the required updates to the config?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Eonwe posted:

Has anyone encountered an issue with fallout mod manager where you did the fo4 config updates and mod manager still acts like you haven't done the required updates to the config?

Which mod manager are you using? If its Mod Organizer then it uses its own ini files, and you would need to run the config app through it, which it cant currently do unless its a 64bit exe.

• Locked thread