Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

James Baud posted:

You're making the standard mistakes here of assuming that a) everybody commutes to downtown Vancouver and nowhere else and b) that toll cheapskates are that big a problem during rush hour. As a former New West resident, I can readily attest to it being off-peak casual trip drivers who dodge tolls, most commuters want to get where they're going ASAP. You can find traffic by hour stats for every bridge somewhere on government websites that support this. We'd always take the Port Mann even though the Pattullo was closer/more convenient just to get places faster at peak times.

Anyway, regarding Richmond-Vancouver bridges and Knight/Cambie themselves for those downtown commuters who do exist: With the tunnel bottleneck removed, the fastest way to get downtown with the cheapest parking from everywhere in South Surrey and points west will likely be to zip over to the Canada line and ride the rest of the way in.

you are wrong in so many ways. if you're in south surrey there's no way you're going to drive forty five minutes to bridgeport to catch a train downtown when there's one fifteen minutes away at king george

also, there's nowhere to commute to from south surrey/south delta via the george massey that isn't somewhere in vancouver or that isn't more easily reached via the alex fraser. maybe if you're in ladner or tsawwassen you might take the george massey to east richmond/queenborough but you know on a tolled bridge all those tsawwassen residents are going to take the south fraser perimeter road to the alex fraser for free

also, you still haven't addressed how they're going to remove the bottleneck. where are five lanes of bridge going to go when they make landfall on the north side of the river? are they going to widen 99 up to the point the east west connection splits off? if not, the new bottleneck is going to be when you try to merge those five bridge lanes down to three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Speaking of driving under the influence in Canada

quote:

Ste. Anne police report that the driver will be charged with impaired driving and refusing to provide a breath sample in relation to the operation of a Zamboni.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 9, 2022

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

CLAM DOWN posted:

They apparently "left room" to expand all the platforms to support 3-car trains, which blows my mind because wasn't the drat thing at capacity like 6 months after opening?

The Canada line isn't at capacity. At a few months of operation they hit the ridership they needed from a funding standpoint to not be losing money. It was years early. You might be thinking of that. It's a smaller capacity line than the other skytrain lines, but not that stupidly small.

They can still add more cars right now, and then do the 10 meter extension. They are at something like 6000 people per hour per direction. The maximum without getting creative is about 15,000.

The annoying thing at the moment is apparently that the operating contract that was part of the PPP included a schedule for when train frequency/quantity would be increased in the future. If translink wants to deviate and add extra trains outside of that schedule they have to pay an unreasonably high fee.

Edit: You may also have heard people talking about being at something like 90% of capacity, but that's with a given train count rather than an overall system design capacity.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 22, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

also, there's nowhere to commute to from south surrey/south delta via the george massey that isn't somewhere in vancouver or that isn't more easily reached via the alex fraser. maybe if you're in ladner or tsawwassen you might take the george massey to east richmond/queenborough but you know on a tolled bridge all those tsawwassen residents are going to take the south fraser perimeter road to the alex fraser for free

Except the Alex Fraser in rush hour is literally a parking lot, with almost daily accidents and/or broken down trucks, it's a loving shitshow.

SubCrid TC posted:

The Canada line isn't at capacity. At a few months of operation they hit the ridership they needed from a funding standpoint to not be losing money. It was years early. You might be thinking of that. It's a smaller capacity line than the other skytrain lines, but not that stupidly small.

They can still add more cars right now, and then do the 10 meter extension. They are at something like 6000 people per hour per direction. The maximum without getting creative is about 15,000.

The annoying thing at the moment is apparently that the operating contract that was part of the PPP included a schedule for when train frequency/quantity would be increased in the future. If translink wants to deviate and add extra trains outside of that schedule they have to pay an unreasonably high fee.

Yup, that's the figure I was thinking of, thanks. That schedule for frequency increases is dumb as gently caress, why on earth would that be a thing (me knowing nothing about train construction contracts).

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Yeah but as someone doing that *I* can factor in that that lowers my options and increases my expense for rental options. Also bus commuting can really suck when it gets to the point you need transfer

E:way to go phone app telling me there was no new stuff.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 22, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Perhaps the problem is with serving concurrent sentences for multiple homicides.

Leaving aside the fact that it would be an absolutely silly waste of time and resources, what stops a Crown from prosecuting him for one death, sentencing him to five years, and the second he's out on a day pass hitting him with the second one? Judge's rules or somesuch?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 9, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The Right Wing Media thread is leaking into Canada. I think this counts as an act of aggression.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 26, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This reminded me of Omar Khadr. Did the Liberals under Trudeau ever take a position on Khadr or talk about him during the campaign at all? I'm curious if the government's stance towards him will have shifted at all or if the Liberals like everybody else just kind of hope if they never talk about him he will vanish into thin air.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 9, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Leofish posted:

The Right Wing Media thread is leaking into Canada. I think this counts as an act of aggression.

I don't know who that guy is, but going by the picture I expect he's an utter knob.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Looks like the Liberals will be repealing some of the Conservatives' anti-union legislation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

Perhaps the problem is with serving concurrent sentences for multiple homicides.

Leaving aside the fact that it would be an absolutely silly waste of time and resources, what stops a Crown from prosecuting him for one death, sentencing him to five years, and the second he's out on a day pass hitting him with the second one? Judge's rules or somesuch?

It comes down to the crimes being similar, possibility of recurrence, and mainly the judges discretion. Indirectly if our sentencing rose sharply (possible happen given Harper's judicial appointments) this would tax our already overburdened prison system very heavily.

I personally would want that person to serve more time but Drewjitsu will obviously mention that serving 5 times the sentence handed out doesn't help rehabilitation and just burdens our prison systems. I feel like I'm turning into a conservative complaining about small irks in our judicial system and its freaking me out :tinfoil:

vyelkin posted:

Looks like the Liberals will be repealing some of the Conservatives' anti-union legislation.

Don't unions have to file something similar for union members to see? I don't understand why the public would care about a unions personal business.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also, John Ibbitson has a lengthy writeup about the battle-to-come within the Conservative Party over whether to choose a party from the PC side or the Reform side that has a few good insights, including the point that once generational change happens in Ottawa voters never go back to someone from the previous generation (or, at least, not in the next election), so 43-year-old Trudeau coming to power means it's highly unlikely the other parties could win by picking old people with old policies. To my mind (and to James Moore's as well, who's interviewed in the article), that's a recognition of shifting social values in the electorate: young people are significantly more pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage, etc., and trying to fight against that demographic change is a losing proposition. The question is whether the soc-con wing of the party is willing to give the PC wing the authority to shut them up about these issues forever in order to stay electable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jm20 posted:

Drewjitsu will obviously mention that serving 5 times the sentence handed out doesn't help rehabilitation and just burdens our prison systems.

He'd be right. Something in between "the same sentence for killing 1 as 20" and "20 consecutive life sentences" would be nice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
On the other hand, assume there are two drunk drivers, both of whom cause a fatal collision. One hits a car that's carrying only the driver; the other hits a minivan that has a family in it. Their actions are no different, so it's purely retributive to punish the guy who took out the minivan more harshly.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Murder charges -> death by stoning.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Leofish posted:

I'm pretty sure the US would send us flowers if Crowder came across the border and then mysteriously disappeared.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
On the other hand, assume there are two drunk drivers, only one of whom cause a fatal collision. One gets home safely; the other hits a minivan that has a family in it. Their actions are no different, so it's purely retributive to punish the guy who took out the minivan more harshly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
At a certain point more prison doesn't accomplish anything. Even as a purely punitive thing after several years you're getting some serious diminishing returns on the effectiveness of prison.

I was surprised by the serving 2/3s of the sentence though, I thought folks were still serving closer to 1/3.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Well yes when transit is completely eliminated as an option, which the BC Liberals have done, then doubling down on car oriented urban planning becomes the only remaining solution. In this case we're not overbuilding, it's all that's possible. The BC Liberals have engineered it such that this is the only viable growth strategy.

You're on the ball bringing up the ALR. This entire thing is a real estate play. There has already been efforts to undermine the Agricultural Land Reserve. Expect more of this to continue and for the BC Liberals to tie it into the housing affordability problem. The Liberals will claim that the ALR is restricting supply and causing prices to rise. The solution will be to free up land in Delta/Tsawwassen for tracts of low density single family housing.

I bet you dollars to donuts that some of the biggest donors to the BC Liberals in the previous election were major development firms ("homebuilders") who have a big interest in seeing the ALR used for single family housing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

At a certain point more prison doesn't accomplish anything. Even as a purely punitive thing after several years you're getting some serious diminishing returns on the effectiveness of prison.

I was surprised by the serving 2/3s of the sentence though, I thought folks were still serving closer to 1/3.

Pretty sure this is a legacy of ten years of Tough On Crime policies.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

sitchensis posted:

I bet you dollars to donuts that some of the biggest donors to the BC Liberals in the previous election were major development firms ("homebuilders") who have a big interest in seeing the ALR used for single family housing.

It would be interesting to have a look. I have to dash out of the house so I don't have time to dig into it, but I can say from my memory of the last time I looked at the list of BC Liberal donators, that the Car Dealers Association is in the top 3, and since there's zero restrictions on how much anyone can donate they donated a lot.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
As a disabled person who can't drive a car, gently caress the suburbs. I'm glad to be moving to a place in Surrey where the mall is 10 minutes from my apartment.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The sentencing provisions of the criminal code are not some sort of morally correct guidelines, nor are they incapable for changing. You can assume that when people talk about what they would like to see, they are recognising that the law and precedent may outline different penalties at the moment, and that they would like to see the law changed.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The point is not that the criminal code sentencing provisions are inspired by God and cannot be changed, the point is that they must, and largely do, reflect broader concerns than "what feels right to the bystanding public" or, god forbid, "what would satisfy victims or their next of kin".

I don't remember who it was ITT who pointed out that everyone recognises this when it comes to certain crimes, but quietly ignores it when it comes to certain other crimes, and which crimes fall into which group differ interestingly from person to person. Very few people are consistent enough in their principles to be Tough On All Crime or Hug All Thugs.

That said, we do ostensibly live in a democracy and the law has to reflect the will of the people to a certain extent if it is to be democratically legitimate. The fact that the people are, mostly, approaching the question from an unhelpfully narrow perspective doesn't change this. It just makes the required compromise a little trickier.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I am on Christmas break from the office. Since McCallum floated the idea of doubling refugees I did open my email inbox. Yes the racists doubled down. And I sit content knowing they are ruining their holidays by fuming about something that is completely contrary to their faith's teachings and the spirit of the holiday which does celebrate a middle eastern refugee family.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 9, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I think you missed a big part of the argument, its not the jail time its the driving suspensions that arent meeting what we would expect for the crime. We do not hand out enough (any?) lifetime bans for people driving drunk or carelessly that cause harm or death.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I feel like Trudeau and the Liberals are just trolling Conservatives at this point between pointing out they will try and make spanking illegal as per the TRC report and doubling down on refugees. I might actually start liking Liberals.

https://news.vice.com/article/justin-trudeau-wants-to-scrap-law-that-lets-teachers-and-parents-spank-kids?utm_source=vicenewsfb
https://news.vice.com/article/canada-wants-to-double-the-number-of-syrians-it-admits-to-50000?utm_source=vicenewsfb

I know Vice isn't the best source, but making the CPCs collective heads explode is a pretty awesome strategy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

I feel like Trudeau and the Liberals are just trolling Conservatives at this point between pointing out they will try and make spanking illegal as per the TRC report and doubling down on refugees. I might actually start liking Liberals.

https://news.vice.com/article/justin-trudeau-wants-to-scrap-law-that-lets-teachers-and-parents-spank-kids?utm_source=vicenewsfb
https://news.vice.com/article/canada-wants-to-double-the-number-of-syrians-it-admits-to-50000?utm_source=vicenewsfb

I know Vice isn't the best source, but making the CPCs collective heads explode is a pretty awesome strategy.

Thats how they pull you in. Then after the safety period the next thing you know your health care funding is slashed, every crown corporation is sold off to foreign owners, and the time for low taxes ends (but only if you make less than 90k annually).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

I think you missed a big part of the argument, its not the jail time its the driving suspensions that arent meeting what we would expect for the crime. We do not hand out enough (any?) lifetime bans for people driving drunk or carelessly that cause harm or death.

Driving bans do get handed out, though they don't work in all cases for ex Roger Walsh

quote:

[18] Quant à la sentence la moins onéreuse appropriée, dans la présente affaire, Monsieur Walsh, vous avez plaidé coupable devant moi pour la dix-huitième (18e) fois à une accusation d'avoir conduit en état d'ébriété et cette fois avec des conséquences extrêmes, soit d'avoir tué Madame Anee Khudaverdian.

:smith:

Another gripe is that I feel like ignition interlocks for repeat offenders is not really a solution.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

DariusLikewise posted:

Actually it's kind of lovely that our incompetent, corrupt and selfish political class can manipulate the majority of the voting population with stupid culture war issues.

The entire western world is in the process of slowly but consistently downgrading living standards, the environment is falling apart, and democratic national sovereignty is basically impossible because of how international trade and investment rules have been structured. Any political party that isn't addressing those issues is part of the problem. Insofar as the Liberals get away with not focusing on those issues - either by ignoring them or by taking ineffective half measures - it's a bad thing.

All these "conservatives are mad" articles are the political equivalent of eating comfort food. It's an acceptable indulgence from time to time but if you keep doing it then it becomes really self destructive. The people loving this country up live in Rosedale not rural Alberta.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Furnaceface posted:

Thats how they pull you in. Then after the safety period the next thing you know your health care funding is slashed, every crown corporation is sold off to foreign owners, and the time for low taxes ends (but only if you make less than 90k annually).

Yeah, but I think this time will be a bit different because of the Internet being more advanced that it was in the early 2000s. it will be a lot harder to get away with the shittiest policies simply because social media can seriously gently caress you if you don't play ball. The Liberals could get away with that junk more because it was harder to report to a large group until well after the fact. Now the second anyone does anything stupid, Facebook and Twitter explode.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stretch Marx posted:

Yeah, but I think this time will be a bit different because of the Internet being more advanced that it was in the early 2000s.
                            /

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

sitchensis posted:

lol as if it's the city planners that make these decisions

I'm in city planning. We basically have to rubberstamp all the lovely cookie cutter sprawl that comes our way. If we don't, the politicians get pissed and we lose our job. Just look at how Jennifer Keesmat in Toronto basically had to toe the line RE: Scarborough subway after saying publicly (in her opinion no less) that it's a total loving waste of money. When you are a civil servant in a municipality, being outspoken is a good way to get shitcanned.

BTW as an urban planner there are at least twenty other people knocking down the door to do your job, and your job is to implement the will of your city council (because they, notionally, represent the will of the constituents of the city).

If the will of city council is to approve more lovely cookie cutter sprawl, then that's your job. Oh sure, you can make "recommendations" in a staff report, but at the end of the day council makes the decision. And if more than half of council has its pockets lined by developers, welp, have fun in the 'burbs.

This is 100% accurate - urban planning isn't SimCity, it's all politics *and institutional inertia. You inherit the mistakes of your predecessors, get blamed for making them, and then people yell at you for not changing everything to be in line with their interests immediately.

And then there are the developers, who will promise you the moon, and then immediately ignore your recommendations once they get approval.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

THC posted:

Lmao. Would you say that you're.... cautiously optimistic? :shepface:

Not really. More people are on the internet now than back then. If your view point is only of video games and memes then it all looks the same. How many companies (that weren't part of the dot com bubble) would go under if the Internet disappeared in 2000? Now imagine how many would go under immediately in 2015. I can order poo poo from China and have it arrive within the week on the east coast. I have fibre op internet that allows me to basically watch whatever the gently caress and download whatever the gently caress I feel, whenever I feel. I couldn't do that in 2005. The best I could hope for was a lovely cable connection or dsl. Newspapers are crapping out and being replaced with their online versions as more and more people move to the Internet for their news. This has caused a knock on effect where cable news tries desperately to be more sensationalist because it can't keep up with how fast information can spread on the internet. This has caused a decay of cable news and subsequently causes more people to stop watching it.

And it's only going to change more. The Internet is too important to slow down.

I mean, right now I can almost literally watch the Syrian Civil War on Youtube. The most advanced thing in loving 2004 was World of Warcraft...

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 22, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm glad to be moving to a place in Surrey

A phrase I never thought I'd see written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stretch Marx posted:

Not really. More people are on the internet now than back then. If your view point is only of video games and memes then it all looks the same. How many companies (that weren't part of the dot com bubble) would go under if the Internet disappeared in 2000? Now imagine how many would go under immediately in 2015. I can order poo poo from China and have it arrive within the week on the east coast. I have fibre op internet that allows me to basically watch whatever the gently caress and download whatever the gently caress I feel, whenever I feel. I couldn't do that in 2005. The best I could hope for was a lovely cable connection or dsl. Newspapers are crapping out and being replaced with their online versions as more and more people move to the Internet for their news. This has caused a knock on effect where cable news tries desperately to be more sensationalist because it can't keep up with how fast information can spread on the internet. This has caused a decay of cable news and subsequently causes more people to stop watching it.

And it's only going to change more. The Internet is too important to slow down.
You're right, the internet certainly doesn't act as a vector for propaganda and disinformation and surveillance and political suppression, it's just a big ole information utopia up in here. Powerful interests got nothing on the people with Internet connections.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 22, 2015