Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

Better yet, I got #moroccan.

idgi

coffee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Munchies

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hash

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
A man tries to be hip and keep up with the youth lingo and the result is... failure to communicate. smh

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Ahh I see

o7

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

A man tries to be hip and keep up with the youth lingo and the result is... failure to communicate. smh

It's ok, Chris has that problem too.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
No one is going to be able to stuff that much food in their gut in a normal state of consciousness. :gonk:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

No one is going to be able to stuff that much food in their gut in a normal state of consciousness. :gonk:

Hence, Wing Commander

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So if you like PVP you will be punished with more PVP? lol

We can get someone a really bad reputation that gets the RP bounty hunter clubs after him. Then use that guy as bait and jump their sh*t when they attack him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spacetoaster posted:

We can get someone a really bad reputation that gets the RP bounty hunter clubs after him. Then use that guy as bait and jump their sh*t when they attack him.

Or use the lovely PVP system to get yourself tagged with a bounty and have a friend cash it in, repeat ad nauseum and you've just broken the economy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hence, Wing Commander

i think i'll stick with tapeworms thank you very much

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

I suspect with my reputation we won't even need to do anything. I wonder if CIG will have a script that automatically puts any ship with a reference to FLJK or Derek Smart into the instances from hell.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

spacetoaster posted:

Keep in mind none of this will ever be in the "game" probably.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect with my reputation we won't even need to do anything. I wonder if CIG will have a script that automatically puts any ship with a reference to FLJK or Derek Smart into the instances from hell.

I think its pretty likely anyone associated with goons is going to get hellbanned into their own private instances away from the general public.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think its pretty likely anyone associated with goons is going to get hellbanned into their own private instances away from the general public.

Either that, or our ships will be automatically re-skinned with a yellow star and a hand-grenade.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

https://soundcloud.com/bth_radio/paaarp

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Incidentally my favorite Concern thread, the one about why CIG can't unmelt VD store items even though changes make some of them unusable, hit its one year anniversary. Strangely it's one of the few threads that actually has a significantly positive "yes this is a concern" poll.

You would think that CIG would do something that would give them more money, but WTF do I know.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Incidentally my favorite Concern thread, the one about why CIG can't unmelt VD store items even though changes make some of them unusable, hit its one year anniversary. Strangely it's one of the few threads that actually has a significantly positive "yes this is a concern" poll.

You would think that CIG would do something that would give them more money, but WTF do I know.

All the yes votes are from trolls and Derek Smart alts, obviously.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's tolerated because it's just a fight between which of two ways CIG should be allowed to :a2m: their customers

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I forget, is there any cogent reason why some of these chucklefucks (Ben in particular iirc) are so virulently against the Freespace series, not-being-made-by-Chris aside? I'm playing through them again recently, and sure it's a mission-based space pew-pew not open universe, but the combat is totally on-point and it's just fun to blast few every couple of years.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Are you prepared to get yourself schlonged today or have you been schlonging us all along?

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Breetai posted:

I forget, is there any cogent reason why some of these chucklefucks (Ben in particular iirc) are so virulently against the Freespace series, not-being-made-by-Chris aside? I'm playing through them again recently, and sure it's a mission-based space pew-pew not open universe, but the combat is totally on-point and it's just fun to blast few every couple of years.

Ben blames Freespace 2 for convincing EA that space sims were dead, which prevented Wing Commander 6 from being made. That Prophecy came two years before and was poo poo, or that Starlancer came a year after and was poo poo is stuff he conveniently forgets.

Aesaar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 22, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can probably do the Lesnick challenge, but dear god not in the timeframe of a single movie. That's just insane.

I'd also probably rupture my colon making GBS threads all that stuff out the next morning.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Or use the lovely PVP system to get yourself tagged with a bounty and have a friend cash it in, repeat ad nauseum and you've just broken the economy.

Pretty much. It's how people do it for the most part in EVE, though there have been some ~interesting~ ways people exploited the system for their benefit.

https://www.themittani.com/news/bounty-hunting-crius-style

TL/DR - Player uses the in-game economy & bounty system to figure out a way to make 46 billion ISK. It was enough for CCP to give him a temp ban and fix the exploit.

The beauty of most online game reputation/bounty systems is you can neg rep bomb a target and they get screwed. Putting bounties on someone, especially if they're not big into PVP, is pretty easy and a hilarious way to get them ganked and them really mad.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 22, 2015

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

o7

Amazing as always!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

Food for thought, would building the game in Unreal Engine have made things any better?

It depends. However, they would have had better support right off the bat, in terms of all the third-party tools out there, more talent with UE experience than CE etc.

For the original "vision 1.0", CE or UE would have done just fine. It's when he went crazy and right on to "vision 2.0", that things went awry because that's when they started hitting the serious engine limitations. And according to my sources, since day one, engineers kept warning him about the mistake they were making.

The thing is that when he did the partnership with CryTek and they built the demo, movie etc he was committed to using the engine. Which was fine; had he stuck with the original plan.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I wonder if there was anyone internally who told Chris why Crytek was a bad idea from the start. and I wonder how long that person lasted.

Word is that several engineers told him. But hey, everyone needs the paycheck and to be a part of the dream (that's now a nightmare they can't wake up from).

FYI; this is a public statement from Petar Kotevski (one of the original programmers of CryEngine in my Facebook feed.

quote:

"As one of the original programmers of the CryEngine, I can say that the network update of various pockets of activity was perfectly doable even in 2004. Not sure where he is going with network persistent cups of coffee (and how that could be usable, or justifiable in a design sense), but that would also not be a problem - since I presume they would be client side only anyway."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Word is that several engineers told him. But hey, everyone needs the paycheck and to be a part of the dream (that's now a nightmare they can't wake up from).

FYI; this is a public statement from Petar Kotevski (one of the original programmers of CryEngine in my Facebook feed.

quote:

"As one of the original programmers of the CryEngine, I can say that the network update of various pockets of activity was perfectly doable even in 2004. Not sure where he is going with network persistent cups of coffee (and how that could be usable, or justifiable in a design sense), but that would also not be a problem - since I presume they would be client side only anyway."

So what he's saying is that CryEngine has no problem with having the network update pockets of activity as opposed to the entire global zone? In other words in 2004 it would have been doable to have the network update the space around Port Olisar while not wasting bandwidth talking about what's going on at a comm buoy, which according to CR is the problem right now?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

The way 2.0 is shaping up it's looking less and less like the engine would be an issue though. I think they'll run into pure content issues / the impossible feature list that they've set themselves much sooner.

Oh yeah and crappy experimental tech like grabby hands and the Realistic Head-bob (tm).

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Headbob makes me puke. Bleh... Motion blur is stupid as well.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So what he's saying is that CryEngine has no problem with having the network update pockets of activity as opposed to the entire global zone? In other words in 2004 it would have been doable to have the network update the space around Port Olisar while not wasting bandwidth talking about what's going on at a comm buoy, which according to CR is the problem right now?

AION IS an MMO that is to this day rather successful in its home country, uses Cryengine just fine and at the time had one of the largest continuous PVP zones in any MMO. The game ran great all things considered given that you could have 300+ people fighting in a particular part of the zone during sieges.

I dont think its an issue with the engine, its just the engineering needed to get things to work.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm a fat English goon who could probably do the Lesnick triathlon except I don't think it exists here. Not sure I could hack the movie though. Saw all the Wing Commanders are available on Origin the other day (I was buying the Command and Conquer ultimate pack), I was in no way tempted.

Apparently Elite Dangerous is screening trailers before The Force Awakens here: Croberts must be pissed!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I thought about how to solve that in these sorts of games, and did come up with an interesting idea: Make the bounty not set by the player, but rather, a calculation of about half the ship they are in current's worth; balanced so it always costs far more to repair & replace parts than to collect the bounty.

Would result in some decent bounties, and I can't think it'd be nearly as exploitable. Obviously SC isn't talking about a system like that, just something I've theory crafted.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'm a fat English goon who could probably do the Lesnick triathlon except I don't think it exists here. Not sure I could hack the movie though. Saw all the Wing Commanders are available on Origin the other day (I was buying the Command and Conquer ultimate pack), I was in no way tempted.

Apparently Elite Dangerous is screening trailers before The Force Awakens here: Croberts must be pissed!

The Wing Commander games were great back in the day, it's the movie that stunk. As for ED trailers before SW: That's a brilliant move. I can already see the ad tag line:

"Live a life not unlike Han Solo's would have been if the empire didn't exist, he never met Luke Skywalker and the entire galaxy was devoid of any life".

Fractal Wave
Feb 7, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

I thought about how to solve that in these sorts of games, and did come up with an interesting idea: Make the bounty not set by the player, but rather, a calculation of about half the ship they are in current's worth; balanced so it always costs far more to repair & replace parts than to collect the bounty.

Would result in some decent bounties, and I can't think it'd be nearly as exploitable. Obviously SC isn't talking about a system like that, just something I've theory crafted.

I think eve was implementing something similar, where you only got paid out a portion of the bounty based on the ship destroyed and the remainder was still on the persons head (to prevent them from getting blown up in a cheap ship to remove the bounty)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Well I was going to do another write-up of PTU hilarity, but I just don't have the heart anymore. I'll write up what I did manage at least.

After 2 hours of patching, I finally logged in. I'm told that 2.1 has the Freelancer and new "Physicalized" EVA, whatever that means. I've resolved to test both of these systems. My Mission: To steal a Freelancer, fly to the Covalex shipping hub, and pack the entire cargo hold full of zero-g office furniture before flying to my space lair in the moon of Veela or whatever it's called.

Attempt 1: Spawn in, chat is full of people bitching about how broken everything is. Great sign! Go downstairs and there are like 10 people standing around the consoles- try one, can't spawn a ship, "All pads full." Go look out the window, all the pads are empty. Right, one of those nights then. I decide to fly over to the "B" pads and spawn a ship there- my goal here is to hunt for Freelancers and it's going to be hard to grab one if nobody can spawn one, but maybe I'll find one at one of the comm arrays. I jump off the landing pad and immediately notice- they've added horribly janky body-weight mechanics to EVA. Oh my god, it's like the running-around head bob but now it's in EVA form. The one part of FPS motion that I kind of liked is now a mess. Well that's great. I fly over to the B platform but apparently you need to orient yourself vertically now before you get too close, because as soon as I get about 30 feet up my character just faceplants straight into the deck. He's laying prone but he's stuck in the EVA animations and I can't loving move. I kill myself.

Attempt 2: Same deal- spawn, fly to B platform. I'm in luck! Somebody has spawned a Freelancer and either glitched out or just left it. Either way, it's mine. I land properly this time and climb inside. Taking off, I jump over to Covalex. Chat is saying that warping isn't working but I'm able to fly just fine. I get to Covalex with no issues and decide I want to put the rear end end of this ship right up against the window so I don't have to float poo poo out to it. I maneuver into position, set the camera to rear-facing external, hit the reverse thrust just a smidge... and bump into some free-floating debris and go rocketing off at 1000 km/s in a spin so violent that it actually makes me a little physically nauseous. There's no recovery- after a minute and a half of wrestling with the controls I give up and get out of the pilot's seat. The ship immediately flings me through a wall and I am left in deep space. I kill myself.

Attempt 3:
Spawn, fly to B platform, once again there's a Freelancer there. That's odd- I wonder if one is just there right now, for people to test with? Or am I just repeatedly stealing some poor bastard's ship? This one is hosed up- the landing gear are all clipping through the pad so the whole thing is bumping and grinding like R Kelly on a 16 year old prostitute. I manage to get inside- once again there's a weird free floating gun spawned in the middle of the ship. Seriously that and the landing gear seem to be issues on every ship they release- why don't they test this stuff even a little? But I get it off the pad and back to Covalex. This time I don't try to jam it up against the station- I park discreetly alongside.

I float inside and find an office chair in the lobby. Objects do seem to behave appropriately in zero-g zero-atmosphere environments, as opposed to characters- the player avatar will grind to a halt as soon as you stop thrusting but the props will move with whatever velocity is imparted to them. So I have to be very careful and subtle in my movements. My first attempt sees me hitting the chair way too hard and wanging it off the inside wall of the station. I give up on that one and grab a different chair- lucky for me there's plenty of space office furniture to furnish my future pirate lair. I maneuver this one out the broken window and caaaarefully, caaaarefully tap it until it drifts into the back of my ship, at which point my ship's gravity takes over and it clatters to the floor. Success!

Unfortunately the act of screenshotting it causes my game to crash. Oh well, gently caress it.

Mission status: 1/2 complete.

Final Thoughts: Game is not really improving in terms of stability or jankiness, but they appear to be adding more content in the form of missions and ships. This isn't really worrying to me, because it's likely that the pipelines for tech fixes and the pipeline for content generation aren't really crossing paths that often. What does bother me is that the new poo poo seems to be broken in exactly the same way as the old poo poo, and that suggests that they are not learning from their mistakes. If every single goddamn ship is going to come out with clipping errors and physics grid issues.... well I'd like to make some kind of ultimatum, but it's not like assholes are going to stop handing them money. I guess keep doing what you're doing, CIG, it seems to be working out great for you (right up until the Feds come knocking).

I already stated that what is going on in the 2.x kernel now, is precisely what has been going on in the 1.x kernel since AC was first released. So this is the on-going state of things. Right through to the inevitable collapse.

Also, imagine that if they were planning on releasing SQ42 by Summer, seeing as it uses the same engine, and it's not yet out in testing, imagine the state that one is going to be in if they ever release it this year.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

The way 2.0 is shaping up it's looking less and less like the engine would be an issue though. I think they'll run into pure content issues

Content issues have been held off for a while thanks to the frequent crashing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Yeah, Imax and a 2d screening in the UK I was at both showed a 20-30 second elite dangerous trailer.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Wasn't there something about 2.0 supporting 24 players (Citizens even thought that was ships not players), now people talk about 16 players supported. What happened with this because I missed it, they don't call them on anything and I've never seen a game community like it.

It's still locked at 16. They can't increase it and my guess is that they won't do that without some serious ramifications. They are actually counting the ships and clients (players) separately, which makes for all kinds of hilarity.

The end result is that all those multi-crew ships? LOL!!! even when they figure out the instance/grouping issue, it's going to be hilarious to see how all those people with those ships, get a crew for them into a 16 client instance.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think they mentioned how 2.1 was increasing the player count per instance but they forgot that the grouping option allows a player to see how many people are in an instance and it says xx/16 when you try to join another players instances.

^this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, and even better, people were deploying their own implementations of this as well as using the engines.

In around 2004, Eve was tracking every 'item' in local rather than 'on grid', which led to reducing the upper limit on launched drones, and making missiles abstract rather than an actual travelling object because of the sheer bandwidth needed for position updates. A few years later they had to take another crack at speed calibrations, because it was possible to fit an interceptor to hit 16km/s and that started to degrade precision in the engine and specifically grid updates.

Scale is nothing to sneeze at, but it's something that constantly crops up as a 'surprise', particularly with people that don't model the worst case scenarios.

^^^
Edit: Yeah, they're tracking people and the ships separately for positional updates, which is why people and their ships can glitch apart; missed update packets and nothing to associate the ship to the pilot. Multicrew will scale that, but imagine if they're also tracking objects in the ships.

Eve gets mentioned in here a lot, generally not because it's great, but because they've run into a lot of these issues and both fixed and avoided them. I think the best example of the above was when 'shuttle spam' was a thing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Content issues have been held off for a while thanks to the frequent crashing.

The frequent crashing is becoming better and will eventually go away. Meaningful and fun mining/agriculture/newsvan-ing/salvaging/docotoring/ship-repairs/multi-crew-gameplay/crafting/economy/career-progression/meaningful-exploration/cargo-management/e-war/ship-boarding/racing/first-person-combat/piracy/being-a-merchant/VIP-transport/bounty-hunting as well as capital ships, planetary inhabited and uninhabited but interesting locations, player controlled NPCs, hostile NPCs, mission chains, etc won't appear over night though.

• Locked thread