Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Preoptopus posted:

Goddamn wanted to post this engines carnage today but we still cant rip it open cause the "new" engine that came on a crate today is absolutely hosed with no compression and a nasty ping when you crank it over. gently caress LKQ

LKQ is the Wal-Mart of auto salvage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
That is the truth. We once had a subframe from them get delivered. We were replacing it because an accident sheared off the tabs for holding the upper control arm. LKQ sent us one with both sides having those tabs folded flat... when my boss called to complain they basically told him to deal with it. And all of this was from a body shop mercedes. This same highly rated body shop often has us put junkyard parts in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

This conversation about exploding batteries makes me feel real comfortable considering my kart has the exact same brand of battery and it sits right next to my leg on the kart.

It only happens when the battery is charging so unless your kart somehow sprouted a generator, alternator or KERS when I wasn't looking you should be fine. I'd still try not to crash battery-first though.

The Yuasa powersport batteries are little troopers though, those things have put up with bullshit from me that no small farm implement battery should have to go through.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Splizwarf posted:

LKQ is the Wal-Mart of auto salvage.

one time we had them send us 4 ecotech motors.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The issue is that the charger for those things are tied into the engine wiring, cheap as crap and all it has is a light to tell you the battery is charged to prevent overcharging. I honestly would prefer a trickle charger but you have to pull the stupid rotax ignition switch off to get to the terminals and that thing is so cheap looking I'm pretty sure it would break if I was taking it off and on constantly.

Godholio posted:

There's no way in hell I'd sit next to a battery without shielding. If you tip and it cracks, that's not going to be fun. And gently caress having it explode that close.

If you tip a kart you've got way more serious issues than a little bit of battery acid.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've driven this guy around, it's 100% battery powered. That box on top with the ZLO on it is nothing but lead acid batteries wired up together.

DSC_0040.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

At least it's not sealed off, so charging it isn't going to bite you if you forget to leave the lid open, the smaller ones (more like this) you really want to open the lid when you're charging.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You guys are making me worried about how often we've been using lkq at work to get poo poo for commercial customers. :ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Despair posted:

I've driven this guy around, it's 100% battery powered. That box on top with the ZLO on it is nothing but lead acid batteries wired up together.

DSC_0040.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

They forgot to clean the guillotine up front.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

You guys are making me worried about how often we've been using lkq at work to get poo poo for commercial customers. :ohdear:

Don't feel too bad. Anyone who expects brand new OEM quality from the junkyard is a little crazy. I'm pissed when we have a corporate account and they gently caress our poo poo up. And you can tell an employee hosed it up or just took the oxy way of getting it out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

SouthsideSaint posted:

Don't feel too bad. Anyone who expects brand new OEM quality from the junkyard is a little crazy. I'm pissed when we have a corporate account and they gently caress our poo poo up. And you can tell an employee hosed it up or just took the oxy way of getting it out.

I got a taillight from them once and specified that I needed "a couple inches of the harness as well" which the parts person at the desk understood. The man in the yard removing the tail light however, well, he decided to bring back the tail light and what appeared to be most of the wiring harness from the rear of the car. Guy at the desk took out some pliers, snipped the giant tangled mess off about 8 inches from the tail light, checked me out, and then went to a back room and started yelling at the dude.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I worked for a good salvage yard for a while. LKQ is literally the devil and you get exactly what you pay for. Cheapest bid = worst quality parts and lowest employee fucks given. If you are scared by stories about LKQ you could always just take the slightly more expensive option, aka anyone else.

The way LKQ moves into an area is they go to the yard doing the most volume and offer to buy them out for cheap. If the yard refuses, they go to the next one down the list while venomously promising to ruin the yard that turned them down by any means possible (including badmouthing, undercutting with no bottom price, and sending undercover employees into those yards for intel and "oops! so clumsy bro, my bad"). Repeat until someone sells out, consolidate, expand again.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Lkq bought the pick and pulls in my area. They actually cleaned the places up and offer wheel barrows and a frame hoists. The only downside is the prices have gone up a bit.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That no poo poo actually made me smile. I'm glad they're doing something good someplace. :unsmith:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
They used to be good when they were small. Back in the day they would meticulously take engines apart, test them, put them back together. But thats when they only had like 4 locations. I guess they dont wanna pay techs to do that sort of thing so instead they pay a forklift driver an extra 3 bucks an hour to cut through 1500 dollar harnesses, and chuck poo poo on to a pallet as is, untested zero fucks given. One of the 4 ecotechs we ordered had a straight up chunk of wood wedged under a valve. The borescope and a leak down tester is your best friend when dealing with LKQ motors. Oddly I have not had any problems ever with rear diffs we get from them. Saw an LKQ truck on the side of the highway once serves them right.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 20, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The LKQs in my area (outskirts of Los Angeles) are ghetto as hell, but they're the only real anything-goes sort of places I can find that have a fairly good online inventory, combined with searchable part prices. All the cars are up on stands too which is nice. There's lots of smaller yards but they pull the parts for you (i'm betting due to insurance) and want a premium. My closest LKQ is on dirt and has straight-up Mad Max welded-together parts carts made of random pieces. There's a junkyard-based window glass stand located permanently in the parking lot, a taco truck, lots of "no weapons/cat converter sales allowed" signs and only the most cursory of bag checks upon exit. In other words, it's pretty awesome assuming you're not out to buy a full engine or anything very expensive. It's usually full of mechanics from local small shops and everyone is weird but friendly. I am the only blonde person I have ever seen there.

One of the other LKQs has armed guards at the cattle-yard style exits - I bought a front skidplate for my XJ there and the girl at checkout couldn't find anything in the preset prices, so she charged me for a "brush guard" or somesuch at $22. I thought it was fair, but the meathead with a glock who checked my receipt got all surly with me because it "wasn't a brushguard" even though I explained the situation. He got distracted by a tweaker trying to sneak past without paying his $2 entry, so I grabbed my oily peice of metal and walked away. gently caress that one, I'm not going back.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 20, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why can't you buy catalytic converters from junkyards anyway?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

They're too valuable as scrap and loss prevention at junkyards are a joke. Unless the first thing you do is get the car up on a lift, cut those puppies out and lock em up somebody is going to find a way to hack saw em off and take them out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

Installation of used catalytic converters is federally illegal IIRC and the junkyards want that sweet sweet catcon scrapmetal money for themselves.

e:
http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

quote:

(5) What about using converters from salvage yards or junked cars?
EPA considers it a violation of the policy to install a used converter from a salvage yard or
sell it for reuse unless it has been properly tested and labeled. Similarly, it is a violation to install
an untested used converter brought in by a customer, even if the customer insists that the used
converter came off his/her vehicle.
Salvage or junk yards also would be considered liable for causing tampering if they sell
converters that have not been tested or do not meet the requirements outlined in the policy and if the
converters are subsequently installed by parties named in the Clean Air Act as prohibited from
tampering.

So basically the junkyards want to sell the cat scrap for 20 bucks themselves instead of risking a $30k+ EPA Clean Air Act fine.

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 21, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Makes sense. I just happened to be watching one of those dumb car shows on Velocity and noticed that when they got a car in they cut the cat off and drained all the oil and gas. Along with lots of signs saying they don't sell them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, it's pretty standard. Here's what my favorite shithole junkyard does when a car comes in:
- remove battery, if it's sellable or scrappable. If it's a burner car that poo poo stays right where it was, laws be damned.
- drain oil
- drain gas, maybe, if they feel like it (like 3 out of 4 cars)
- drain transmission fluid, sometimes, if they feel like it (like 1 out of 20 cars)
- cut catcon out
- remove wheels and tires if either is sellable condition or the wheels are alloys
- remove jack and lug wrench if they can be found within a 5 second search even if you didn't read the users manual

Things they are legally required to drain or remove, but never bother with:
- ABS engagement mercury switch
- coolant
- trans fluid
- diff fluid
- power steering fluid
- brake fluid
- refrigerant
- transfer case fluid

Basically they give absolutely no fucks and it shows. Fortunately, this means if I push down on a schrader valve on an AC system and it spits at me, the parts at least hold pressure! :banjo:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The best part of working in a junkyard was hearing the production crew bitch about having to cut into the fender firewall of most Chrysler stuff to get at the battery because that was the quickest way to get them out of the vehicle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Wow, yours was more conscientious than ours. Around here, if the MADEP inspector can't see the battery, it never existed so don't bother pulling it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Yeah in the UK poo poo is alot more strict. My mates yard runs something like this:

Get car with all signed paperwork, all photographed and store for up to 25 years.
Lift car onto dismantling bay.
Drain fuel with very expensive and cool cutting tool sucking and filter pump thing. Direct into tank.
Drain coolant and oil
Remove cat. (some are worth more than the whole car cost scrap)
Remove engine using minimal effort, if not saleable. This involve a forklift and some jaws of life tools.
Remove wheels. Alloys sold and steelies cut to remove tyres,
Remove Stereo, battery and any other saleable parts, Sell them to me as I eBay them for .
Lift onto truck and drive round the corner to be cubed.

The engines are removed as the quality of the steel fetches a higher price. They are all piled up in a skip and taken separately. The tyres are a loss as he pays about 3 a tyre to be taken away. All nice looking ones are sold. Normally to me as the golf has front tyre issues (I drive like a child). Alloys are sold as is if good condition or thrown in another bin as again higher scrap value. Only the Injectors and the cats are kept under lock and key.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

Wow, yours was more conscientious than ours. Around here, if the MADEP inspector can't see the battery, it never existed so don't bother pulling it.

We were part of a fairly large chain that was properly set up to drain everything as fast as humanly possible and we did sell some of the waste chemicals to a company. It was amazing to watch them work, they knew exactly what they were doing regardless of the car and just went to town cutting and punching holes, its pretty depressing to think that I'm now in an office job where people lose their mind if there's any sort of deviation from a documented process.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
On today's edition of dumb dashboards:

This is a Dodge Durango - I think it was a 2014. It asked me to press the brake pedal and push the start button. But it doesn't have a start button. And when you turn the key - you can start it without pressing the brake. What the hell chrylser? Is it just to annoy the cheap bastards who didn't buy the one with a smartkey?

This BMW had the usual lights, and some strange light in the middle. I understand it's to indicate an issue with traction or stability control - but what a non-intuitive icon!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

0toShifty posted:

On today's edition of dumb dashboards:

This is a Dodge Durango - I think it was a 2014. It asked me to press the brake pedal and push the start button. But it doesn't have a start button. And when you turn the key - you can start it without pressing the brake. What the hell chrylser? Is it just to annoy the cheap bastards who didn't buy the one with a smartkey?

This BMW had the usual lights, and some strange light in the middle. I understand it's to indicate an issue with traction or stability control - but what a non-intuitive icon!

That's stability control. Usually indicates driver has turned dsc off because it's no fun. The arrow going in a circle indicates it will allow the car to rotate. Not very confusing. Is ford's "your car is drunk" icon better?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Saga posted:

That's stability control. Usually indicates driver has turned dsc off because it's no fun. The arrow going in a circle indicates it will allow the car to rotate. Not very confusing. Is ford's "your car is drunk" icon better?

I want it to look like that sign of a car skidding with the skid marks that cross each other!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

See, usually the circular arrow icon means "engine turning over".

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

See, usually the circular arrow icon means "engine turning over".

Like when the engine mounts break?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

0toShifty posted:

Every BMW that comes into my shop ever.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

0toShifty posted:

That trifecta of DSC, brake, and ABS means a bad wheel sensor. The washer fluid is low because the check valve in the pump failed and the fluid pissed out the weep hole on the side. SES is likely failing DISA, VANOS seals, or CCV is cracked, or one of the coils failed or has a bad connection.

Can you tell I've owned a neglected E46? :shepface:

e: I'm impressed the screen to the left of the odometer isn't lit up with all the failed bulbs it has. Usually that screen is on when someone posts e46 dashboards.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

0toShifty posted:

but what a non-intuitive icon!

the same people who design those icons do the ones on your clothes tags that tell you how to wash them, too.

This poo poo:

Who the gently caress knows what any of those mean unless they wash laundry for a living?

e: so I'm pretty sure that BMW wants to be bleached with hydrogen peroxide while doing axis spins counterclockwise

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 22, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kastein posted:

the same people who design those icons do the ones on your clothes tags that tell you how to wash them, too.

This poo poo:

Who the gently caress knows what any of those mean unless they wash laundry for a living?

e: so I'm pretty sure that BMW wants to be bleached with hydrogen peroxide while doing axis spins counterclockwise

Its a large reason i couldn't hack it in art school for graphic design. Teacher would be like ok, i need 400 versions of this by Monday.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I took it as "Warnings aaaalllllll around here" *sweeping arc*

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BloodBag posted:

The washer fluid is low because the check valve in the pump failed and the fluid pissed out the weep hole on the side.

What's the solution for this? New pump? Mine does seem to go through washer fluid very quick.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Saga posted:

What's the solution for this? New pump? Mine does seem to go through washer fluid very quick.

Yep. The check valve is internal so when it fails, it's new pump time. It's not expensive and a pretty quick and easy replacement.

Link to DIY Includes part numbers too.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Yep. The check valve is internal so when it fails, it's new pump time. It's not expensive and a pretty quick and easy replacement.

Link to DIY Includes part numbers too.

Thanks, going to get me one now. Will give me something else to get on with when preventively replacing the DISA flapper assembly.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Preoptopus posted:

Its a large reason i couldn't hack it in art school for graphic design. Teacher would be like ok, i need 400 versions of this by Monday.

*cracks knuckles*

"Alright, let's do this."

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
That moment when your underneath a car on the 4 post and something shifts that is not the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Preoptopus posted:

That moment when your underneath a car on the 4 post and something shifts that is not the car.

:stonklol: