Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm guessing it's that neither candidate is white, but I dunno.

Would appreciate your actual answer though, fwiw Maoist Pussy. Surely you can understand it's a little hard to imagine the set of ideological beliefs that lead one to support Obama and Trump with roughly equal fervor. I'm genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Obama got boned by political gridlock for eight years and the results were fair-to-middling. Compromise blows.

An absolute rear end in a top hat like Trump is the antithesis to Obama's philosophy. It fits on a molecular level. Almost scary, really.

And like most democrats I've spoken to, he probably doesn't trust Hillary. At all.

Neither do I.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Both candidates are/were the likeliest within their respective election cycles to bring radical changes to the US.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I don't know, I have a feeling a lot more "change" would have occurred in the US with a McCain/Palin win, than what we got. With Obama we got status quo, but you can take a look at the House if you feel shortchanged by that.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Obama got boned by political gridlock for eight years and the results were fair-to-middling. Compromise blows.

An absolute rear end in a top hat like Trump is the antithesis to Obama's philosophy. It fits on a molecular level. Almost scary, really.

And like most democrats I've spoken to, he probably doesn't trust Hillary. At all.

Neither do I.

i think a big piece of it is that obama got some very significant pieces of policy passed (health care and gay marriage) but the average quality of life for families at or below a middle-class income has gotten worse. real wages have continued to stagnate since the 80's, low skilled "honest" work has continued to evaporate as something like 90% of the job growth the economy recovered was at the very highest levels of employment, and the 1% / corporate overlords didn't ever get paraded through the city square and publicly beheaded; instead obama was one of the friendliest (policy-wise) presidents to corporations and wall street.

trump's base is angry and willing to vote for an actual fascist because they feel betrayed. the unspoken social agreement has always been that no one would have it better than white men, and while other groups have seen relative gains in their recent social hierarchy (gay people being allowed to marry, for example) trump's base likely hasn't seen any real improvement in their social hierarchy in over a decade. when these people are arguing that we shouldn't be helping refugees from warzones until we fix our own nation's problems first, it is likely because they are indirectly referencing themselves as needing a hand.

trump is really doing an excellent job channeling all of that latent hate and frustration into a political force. whether or not it will be enough to push him into the white house remains to be seen, but all his rhetoric about how the US doesn't win any more and how we need to make america great again and how our leaders are incompetent is basically a nice soundbite version of what many people have actually experienced over the last 8 years.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kilroy posted:

I don't know, I have a feeling a lot more "change" would have occurred in the US with a McCain/Palin win, than what we got. With Obama we got status quo, but you can take a look at the House if you feel shortchanged by that.

I wouldn't even really blame Obama for that, fwiw he really seemed like he was trying to change things. I don't think anyone, except probably McConnell and Cantor expected the gridlock and divisiveness from the GOP over a black man getting the job. It's been pretty unprecedented, honestly.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Despite how necessary it (probably) was, bailing out the banks was one of Obama's biggest PR problems, and it hounded him through everything else that was accomplished. So now comes Trump and oh, does he hate him some wall street, enough to have wall street execs publicly call him mean names and back his opponents, and if someone actually hated by them has a chance at the presidency, of course the common people are going to resonate with that

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Thump! posted:

I wouldn't even really blame Obama for that, fwiw he really seemed like he was trying to change things. I don't think anyone, except probably McConnell and Cantor expected the gridlock and divisiveness from the GOP over a black man getting the job. It's been pretty unprecedented, honestly.
You need to reread my post. You didn't quite catch it.

(I didn't mean Obama is a "status-quo" President.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kilroy posted:

Would appreciate your actual answer though, fwiw Maoist Pussy. Surely you can understand it's a little hard to imagine the set of ideological beliefs that lead one to support Obama and Trump with roughly equal fervor. I'm genuinely curious.

I'm guessing accelerationism

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
anybody who thinks trump will magically bring about the End of Days is deluding themselves

I can see him as a nice hearty gently caress You vote to the entire political establishment, though. He's probably gonna destroy the GOP one way or the other, and who knows how Democrats will react over the next year to the growing possibility of a reality tv business guy having his finger on the button

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Despite how necessary it (probably) was, bailing out the banks was one of Obama's biggest PR problems

The thing is, even if everyone agreed that we 100% had to bail out the banks, the Democrats still hosed over the American people for them AFTER the fact as well. Dodd-Frank is a joke, our financial system is no-less corrupt and no mare safe/stable because of it, BUT those big banks are certainly more powerful now.

Democrats had iron-fisted control of government, so much so that they were able to pass a poo poo health-care law with ZERO GOP support and total opposition. Yet they didn't bother to use that power to break up the big banks and/or once and for all erect a wall between traditional banking and investment banking, gee I wonder why they let their corporate masters off so ea$ily.

Obama and the Democrats have unquestionably hosed over middle class America and the American tax base from every single policy angle - Healthcare, banking & finance, taxes, employment & wages, etc., etc., etc.

Their big PR problem is 8 years of loving us in the rear end. Helping poor people is certainly admirable. Helping Wall-Street and crushing small banks is not. Neither is loving the middle class raw to help both groups.

It's time to Make America Great Again.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NaQxUEfxt0

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Boosted_C5 posted:

Democrats had iron-fisted control of government
Didn't they actually have control of the House and Senate for like 27 days, due to epic levels of butthurt in the wake of Franken's election to the Senate, and also Joe Lieberman or something?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

The thing is, even if everyone agreed that we 100% had to bail out the banks, the Democrats still hosed over the American people for them AFTER the fact as well. Dodd-Frank is a joke, our financial system is no-less corrupt and no mare safe/stable because of it, BUT those big banks are certainly more powerful now.

Democrats had iron-fisted control of government, so much so that they were able to pass a poo poo health-care law with ZERO GOP support and total opposition. Yet they didn't bother to use that power to break up the big banks and/or once and for all erect a wall between traditional banking and investment banking, gee I wonder why they let their corporate masters off so ea$ily.

Obama and the Democrats have unquestionably hosed over middle class America and the American tax base from every single policy angle - Healthcare, banking & finance, taxes, employment & wages, etc., etc., etc.

Their big PR problem is 8 years of loving us in the rear end. Helping poor people is certainly admirable. Helping Wall-Street and crushing small banks is not. Neither is loving the middle class raw to help both groups.

It's time to Make America Great Again.

Every time I read your posts it reminds me of the whole poor people voting to keep loving themselves thing that goes on in the US.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Internet Explorer posted:

Every time I read your posts it reminds me of the whole poor people voting to keep loving themselves thing that goes on in the US.

If it's any consolation to you, it's an international thing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

If it's any consolation to you, it's an international thing.

Oh, good. I was worried. I mean, you have to admire his devotion.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

yeah, it's sadly hilarious because as much as trump verbally espouses vague epithets about making america great again, when you look at any of the actual policy comments he's made, or put down in writing, it's very clear he still doesn't give a poo poo about the people he's trying to wield as a political cudgel.

his tax plan is basically a love letter to the wealthy elite (with the notable exception of hedge fund managers) and he famously stated on national t.v. at the second (?) GOP debate that the minimum wage is actually too high.

the funny thing is that in a lot of respects, he is campaigning in a similar way to 2008 obama. in the same way that a junior senator with no other significant executive experience became the party nominee and eventual POTUS with a message of HOPE & CHANGE, i think it's premature for anyone to immediately discount trump's chances with MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

homeless poster posted:

yeah, it's sadly hilarious because as much as trump verbally espouses vague epithets about making america great again, when you look at any of the actual policy comments he's made, or put down in writing, it's very clear he still doesn't give a poo poo about the people he's trying to wield as a political cudgel.

his tax plan is basically a love letter to the wealthy elite (with the notable exception of hedge fund managers) and he famously stated on national t.v. at the second (?) GOP debate that the minimum wage is actually too high.

the funny thing is that in a lot of respects, he is campaigning in a similar way to 2008 obama. in the same way that a junior senator with no other significant executive experience became the party nominee and eventual POTUS with a message of HOPE & CHANGE, i think it's premature for anyone to immediately discount trump's chances with MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

#schlonged

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Are we trying to say that the bullshit these people spout up to the day they're sworn in might not be what they actually do in office?

That's new.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So Trump is chaos candidate, is it like being chaotic evil or chaotic good?

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

homeless poster posted:

i think a big piece of it is that obama got some very significant pieces of policy passed (health care and gay marriage) but the average quality of life for families at or below a middle-class income has gotten worse. real wages have continued to stagnate since the 80's, low skilled "honest" work has continued to evaporate as something like 90% of the job growth the economy recovered was at the very highest levels of employment, and the 1% / corporate overlords didn't ever get paraded through the city square and publicly beheaded; instead obama was one of the friendliest (policy-wise) presidents to corporations and wall street.

trump's base is angry and willing to vote for an actual fascist because they feel betrayed. the unspoken social agreement has always been that no one would have it better than white men, and while other groups have seen relative gains in their recent social hierarchy (gay people being allowed to marry, for example) trump's base likely hasn't seen any real improvement in their social hierarchy in over a decade. when these people are arguing that we shouldn't be helping refugees from warzones until we fix our own nation's problems first, it is likely because they are indirectly referencing themselves as needing a hand.

trump is really doing an excellent job channeling all of that latent hate and frustration into a political force. whether or not it will be enough to push him into the white house remains to be seen, but all his rhetoric about how the US doesn't win any more and how we need to make america great again and how our leaders are incompetent is basically a nice soundbite version of what many people have actually experienced over the last 8 years.

I'd give corporate america more credit for gay marriage than Obama, not that he didn't do much but rather they pushed the issue far harder earlier. Obama largely just shifted with the political and social winds on gay marriage rather than being instrumental in guiding public opinion.

Not everyone votes purely based on economic issues Marx.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

It's a loooooooong way down, Reince.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

So Trump is chaos candidate, is it like being chaotic evil or chaotic good?

Chaotic Neutral :getin:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Powercrazy posted:

Chaotic Neutral :getin:

So that's where Landerig went after he got banned?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Chaos Candidate is the coolest thing the Jeb! Campaign has come up with and it's for Trump. Goddamnit Jeb.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

This is debatable in hindsight but Obama absolutely looked like he would advocate for more change.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

Didn't they actually have control of the House and Senate for like 27 days, due to epic levels of butthurt in the wake of Franken's election to the Senate, and also Joe Lieberman or something?

The controversy comes from the fact that, in the senate, they only had a filibuster-proof supermajority for a limited time, yet still passed obamacare via reconciliation and only required 50 votes. There's a ton of populist legislation that they could have steamrolled through but I dunno, either they didn't want to look like bullies (fox news made them into this anyway) or thought their reign would last a thousand years (it didn't ).

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

EngineerSean posted:

This is debatable in hindsight but Obama absolutely looked like he would advocate for more change.
You're the second person who has taken that post to mean I was making a statement about Obama in general, rather than the specific situation he found himself in once elected. I think you're both totally right and that with a more cooperative Congress, even a Republican Congress that wasn't so terrible, he would have gone down as one of the best Presidents we ever had. I still believe that to be the case, actually, but it will be more in the sense that he managed to keep government sort-of going in the face of a Congress and an electorate that basically wanted to tear everything apart if it meant tearing him down, too.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Basically the histories of Obama's Presidency, 75-100 years from now after everyone with an axe to grind is in the ground, are going to be :smith: as gently caress.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Chaos Candidate is the coolest thing the Jeb! Campaign has come up with and it's for Trump. Goddamnit Jeb.

For real, Jeb's team coined that hoping it would stick to Trump and ruin his credibility, but a Chaos candidate is exactly what his supporters want.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kilroy posted:

You're the second person who has taken that post to mean I was making a statement about Obama in general, rather than the specific situation he found himself in once elected. I think you're both totally right and that with a more cooperative Congress, even a Republican Congress that wasn't so terrible, he would have gone down as one of the best Presidents we ever had. I still believe that to be the case, actually, but it will be more in the sense that he managed to keep government sort-of going in the face of a Congress and an electorate that basically wanted to tear everything apart if it meant tearing him down, too.

i still think the fact that the big banks got bailed out, and no meaningful consequences were suffered by any of the CEOs / shareholders, and no real regulation (with teeth, that is enforceable) was put in place, is a big black mark that overshadows whatever political theater was taking place.

i know that isn't obama's sole fault, and i know the republicans and democrats in the house / senate are just as complicit in all the shady poo poo that went down after the recession with the banking industry, but when people talk about obama's presidency in your 100+ year timeframe, i expect that to be more pertinent than the fact that the legislature didn't play nice with him.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

A big BLACK mark, huh?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

homeless poster posted:

i still think the fact that the big banks got bailed out, and no meaningful consequences were suffered by any of the CEOs / shareholders, and no real regulation (with teeth, that is enforceable) was put in place, is a big black mark that overshadows whatever political theater was taking place.

i know that isn't obama's sole fault, and i know the republicans and democrats in the house / senate are just as complicit in all the shady poo poo that went down after the recession with the banking industry, but when people talk about obama's presidency in your 100+ year timeframe, i expect that to be more pertinent than the fact that the legislature didn't play nice with him.

The Obama administration initially wanted a big crackdown on the banks in the aftermath of the recession but got talked out of it by the Treasury department.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

quote:

Went to a Donald Trump speech on acid SUPER BAD VIBES (self.Psychonaut)

submitted 2 hours ago * by flipper8088

It was a stupid idea to begin with honestly. First my friends wanted to go to the Trump rally just for fun even when they don't support his ideas. Then in the car on the way there one of my friends tells me he just got a hold of some acid and that it would be hilarious to be tripping at a Donald Trump speech, just to say we did it n that it'll be funny story to look back on. So we all just say gently caress it and drop 2 hits each. Bad idea. We walk into the place and just know that something is very wrong. The tension in the air was flowing through our bodies, everyone looked angry about something. 10 minutes pass and we all realize we must escape from this hell on earth before we lose every ounce of sanity we have left. We head for the exits, it's packed with people and security. WE WONT MAKE IT! We all agree and head back to our seats. (We could've made it we were just tripping too hard to be rational) Trump comes out and the whole building starts shaking with chants of USA! USA! USA! It was proud patriotism with an undertone of depraved violence, you could feel it. We all look at each other with the most dreadful look in our eyes knowing we just hosed ourselves into oblivion. I might post the rest of the story later when I have time

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

And that's how the next Unabomber was born.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Why would you mix a hallucinogen (acid) with a psychotic (trump rally)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kilroy posted:

In the context of asking why someone who would support Candidate Obama would now support Candidate Trump, it's absolutely more relevant to focus on the change that many of us thought Obama would bring rather than the reality of the past seven years. Kingfish hit the nail on the head, Candidate Trump looks like he'll bring more radical change to Washington than Candidate Bush, Candidate Rubio, or Candidate Clinton.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Why would you mix a hallucinogen (acid) with a psychotic (trump rally)

Gotta Hippie-flip.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kilroy posted:

Is there anything that Obama and Trump have in common, which draws you to either of them?

Hope for a better future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kilroy posted:

I am beyond ideology. I believe in greatness.

• Locked thread