Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So reading the Monster Pulse updates has me wondering.... why hasn't Violet mind-wiped everyone in Shell? Even if she couldn't clear out everyone's memory to the point where they'd be totally useless she could at least purge Abel and his friends from their memories. She must be aware of them and what they do to kids with monsters and she seems perfectly able to comb through the brains of a few people to see if they've figured out the kids aren't dead yet and are planning something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Nuns with Guns posted:

So reading the Monster Pulse updates has me wondering.... why hasn't Violet mind-wiped everyone in Shell?

Wasn't she working for them? I thought some of the nefarious things she did before being won over by the power of friendship were for Shell?

Also, three big reasons: 1. She would have to put herself in harms way to get close enough to mind-wipe everyone, plus 2. she would have to destroy all the computer evidence of herself before anyone figures out what she's done, because 3. if she didn't she would become target number one on their hit squad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Captain Bravo posted:

Wasn't she working for them? I thought some of the nefarious things she did before being won over by the power of friendship were for Shell?

Also, three big reasons: 1. She would have to put herself in harms way to get close enough to mind-wipe everyone, plus 2. she would have to destroy all the computer evidence of herself before anyone figures out what she's done, because 3. if she didn't she would become target number one on their hit squad.

I mean this is a secret organization that's got security so incompetent that children routinely break in and out, sometimes releasing more monster ghosts into the world, so it can't be too hard to get in there and destroy the computers/servers. Take Guuzy along and have him barf digestive juices on the really important bits if need be

Violet seems to have a pretty long range on her powers, too, since all of the kids were far apart when she dragged them into her dream world. I don't recall her ever working for Shell, though, but if she were and now betrayed them then she'd have even more knowledge to work with, really, and more reason to get rid of them before they inevitably come for her

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
This is a little out of left field, but I remember reading a webcomic years ago that just now popped back into my brain, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

Int terms of style, it was a dead-ringer for Dragon Ball, like, the quality was exceptionally good. It was set on an alien planet, with lots of different species, tech, etc, but the main characters were a mother and son pair who looked a lot like namekians, ie, bald head and antennae.

There was also a pair of side characters who were kids who come from a species that is betrothed at birth, and the boy carried around a small plant in a special backpack that was culturally significant somehow. (He pisses off his girlfriend/fiance by often using it as a blunt instrument). That's about all I can remember but it's driving me nuts. I eventually stopped reading after the updates slowed to a crawl, and wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't exist anymore, but hope springs eternal.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else?

Edit - some frantic googling later I found it - Life on Forbez, seems like the original hosting went out long ago and it's now just on deviantart.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 15, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Apparently having a conscience causes bags under the eyes in the world of Demon. No wonder Jimmie otherwise always seems so alert and awake.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
No I think that's the cocaine.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Monster Pulse feels increasingly like just straight-up Pokemon instead of a subversive twist on Pokemon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Monster Pulse feels increasingly like just straight-up Pokemon instead of a subversive twist on Pokemon.

It's a subversive twist on Digimon :eng101: There's a huge difference.

That said, I'm actually surprised how quickly Violet's become my favorite character in the series. The one-two punch of resolving her psychological bullshit and pairing with Julie to be the ultimate straightwoman was an inspired choice.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More SD and this is going exactly where I think it's going, isn't it? :smith:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 17, 2015

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
Looks like Boulet is doing videos again: http://www.bouletcorp.com/.
I'ts only on the french site for now, but it's overlaid with music again, so it doesn't matter.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's on the english site, you just have to scroll down.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Someone tell me Boulet at least figures stuff out on another sheet or something. Is he a drawing robot?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So in a fit of craziness I read almost all of the comics in the OP, because my sleep schedule was messed up and I needed to stay awake for about 20 hours to reset it. You guys probably don't want to hear my opinion on all of them but here's some highlights if anyone was on the fence on reading any of them (I'll stay away from the ones I disliked because I'm not all negative like that yo). Some of this might not make sense because I got pretty punchy near the end, and some of it may seem way negative but I actually have a lot of respect for all of these guys because they've done more with this poo poo than I ever have.
Beyond the Canopy: So good. Art looks very cartoonish but further examination reveals some great composition and use of line weight later on. What I liked best is that it was never really confusing what was going on, or what was the focus, and this is because of the art. The action flowed, and the characters just 'pop'.
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy: Art was rough at first, and still is in some respects (but less so), but has a lot of heart. Characters like the Master Knight and Slime King just have great, pared down designs, and the little 4th panel style jokes don't feel as pandering as they often do when others use them. Also things like the emperors and the latter golems really show how the art has improved over time.
Dead Winter: This one kinda blew me away but also disappointed in some aspects. The "kickstart my heart sequence" was awesome, as is the limited animation that gets thrown in there, which can be obnoxious elsewhere but works really well here. Characters are clearly designed and distinct. The only disappointing part me was sometimes the writing itself felt a bit mawkish, especially the internal monologues of the main character. But drat, what a world, and I love those crazy thick lines.
A Ghost Story: This one was neat because I liked the concept, the characters, and the art itself had some creepy rear end poo poo, but the main source of conflict seems to already be kind of drawn out and a bit overdone. This might be because I read it all at once, and it might digest better read less linearly. Also I want to see more John Wayne because he seems like a cool guy.
Over The Wall/Stonebreaker: Man that was cool. I was getting Jeff Smith vibes, but without the cutesyness.
Poppy O'Possum: I shouldn't really like this because I'm not really a funny animals kind of guy but again, just gushes heart and optimism that makes you want to keep reading. I like the unconventionally designed main character as well. Usually animals as racial analogues means "buckle up for some heavy-handed bullshit!" but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.
Rusty & Co: I kept waiting for this high-concept bullshit to run out of steam and... it never ever did. It was engaging and compelling right up the last strip posted.

That was it for the goony ones, no one else will care about the other ones really. I will say this: That Demon thing was hosed up. I don't think I've read a web comic that lays out a pretty whacked out premise, and I'm all like "oh man that is a cool idea" and then takes it in a totally different direction that I was expecting. And then takes it even farther until you have no idea what's going to happen next. Just amazing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Webcomics Thread 4: That Demon thing was hosed up

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Scaramouche posted:

A Ghost Story: This one was neat because I liked the concept, the characters, and the art itself had some creepy rear end poo poo, but the main source of conflict seems to already be kind of drawn out and a bit overdone. This might be because I read it all at once, and it might digest better read less linearly. Also I want to see more John Wayne because he seems like a cool guy.

aaaaa thats me!! thanks for reading!! dont worry the "main conflict" will be resolved at the end of this chapter because i too am sick of dragging it out. thanks for your nice words!!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
SPIRITS OF THE WHEAT

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SD 3-7: Good lord, we traded Tess for this.

I'm not against her going back to the fight, there won't be a story otherwise, but the least she could do is explain herself better than "I promise I have a good reason" and especially to the person who saved her life at great cost.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 22, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

SD 3-7: Good lord, we traded Tess for this.

I'm not against her going back to the fight, there won't be a story otherwise, but the least she could do is explain herself better than "I promise I have a good reason" and especially to the person who saved her life at great cost.

Given her eye glowing pink there, it's pretty clear she got a major power boost from the ordeal.

Might be tactful to not reveal that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Given her eye glowing pink there, it's pretty clear she got a major power boost from the ordeal.

Might be tactful to not reveal that.

Not exactly a class act if protecting Tess (or, worse, her own drat feelings) was the goal.

I really hope this isn't going to devolve into 'Dine dragging herself from Shadow to Shadow and being shafted by diabolus ex machina and her own pig headed attitude.

Mary has one hell of a hill to climb here between eighy-sixing the entire cast and putting Undine over so that they at least care when she's put through adversity.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 22, 2015

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not exactly a class act if protecting Tess (or, worse, her own drat feelings) was the goal.

I really hope this isn't going to devolve into 'Dine dragging herself from Shadow to Shadow and being shafted by diabolus ex machina and her own pig headed attitude.

Mary has one hell of a hill to climb here between eighy-sixing the entire cast and putting Undine over so that they at least care when she's put through adversity.

I can't really say I'm upset the rest of the magical girl team died since all they were to begin with were the most broad and uninteresting stereotypes, but I suppose that's the point of it and it all feeds back into are chilling comfort we have with turning little girls into soldiers fighting terrifying monsters etc

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thing is if Undine isn't someone I feel doesn't deserve what awaits her then the horror of the situation is somewhat lost.

The writing here is a bit wonkey. Like if Tess interrupted her mid explanation with the "I can't accept this!" shut down then Undine would be absolutely right to pull rank. As is, she's being an elusive dick about things and that kills the horror of a good person being dragged through a hell not of their own creation dead.

If Undine got dunked on in the next page it would not be horror. It'd be karma.

On a lighter note Mary's Patreon Wallpaper is Undine themed if you are so inclined.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 23, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
http://wolfpupy.tumblr.com/

I don't know what the gently caress this is or why it's been running for a good while
But it is the most unfunny thing I've ever seen. Where are the jokes? What's the point of the character being a 'wolfpupy'? Am I supposed to care about this awful little poo poo of a character???

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Did something happen to the bad webcomics thread? If not, please take this pile there.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
wolfpupy is good, actually

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think it's originally a twitter thing, which honestly seems like a better format for wolfpupy's form of humor anyways.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Thing is if Undine isn't someone I feel doesn't deserve what awaits her then the horror of the situation is somewhat lost.

The writing here is a bit wonkey. Like if Tess interrupted her mid explanation with the "I can't accept this!" shut down then Undine would be absolutely right to pull rank. As is, she's being an elusive dick about things and that kills the horror of a good person being dragged through a hell not of their own creation dead.

If Undine got dunked on in the next page it would not be horror. It'd be karma.

On a lighter note Mary's Patreon Wallpaper is Undine themed if you are so inclined.

Undine just got back from the funeral for her friends and justified or not, she probably at least partially blames Tess for what happened. I also wonder from that last bit how much she actually wanted to be on the magical girl team in the first place. That aside, I don't think either of them are really out of line here, they both just lost most of their friends, Undine nearly died and Tess probably could have died from that magic transfer. They're teenage girls, they can be jerks at the best of times and they both have every right to be angry right now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh that wasn't just a Patreon early Update.

Sleepless Domain 3-8

Yeah, I'm going to stop following SD until the chapter is done as I get the feeling that what's not working right now (for me, let's be clear) might make a whole lot more sense when this story beat is part of a chapter rather a small set of individually serialised couple of pages.

I was like this with CQ and I made a complete arse out myself about that PDQ.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 24, 2015

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Colon Semicolon posted:

I don't know what the gently caress this is or why it's been running for a good while
But it is the most unfunny thing I've ever seen. Where are the jokes? What's the point of the character being a 'wolfpupy'? Am I supposed to care about this awful little poo poo of a character???

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

god help me I chuckled

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Renaissance Robot posted:

Did something happen to the bad webcomics thread? If not, please take this pile there.

Nah, it's a good one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea looks okay to me

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

post your favorite wolfpupy comics itt

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hah, I started reading Guilded Age and was thinking at first "hey this isn't bad, but one of those names is kind of familiar??" Sure enough it was a T Campbell joint that:
- Killed off characters (or appeared to) with abandon
- Ham handed handling of prejudice/racism
- A convoluted meta plot up its own rear end

It's like you could set a watch to him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Hah, I started reading Guilded Age and was thinking at first "hey this isn't bad, but one of those names is kind of familiar??" Sure enough it was a T Campbell joint that:

Also MAJYCK.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

It is a spinoff from a Twitter.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

So I read until the end and jesus christ campbell. 40% reader mail and flashbacks in the last year, learn to end a story you loving noob.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MSPaint Masterpieces updated! I thought it had died again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dabir posted:

MSPaint Masterpieces updated! I thought it had died again.

Ferret keeps on trucking along, it seems.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In Monster Pulse news, Ha! She's spineless! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

In Monster Pulse news, Ha! She's spineless! :haw:

She's have to be to agree to wear matching jumpsuits like those.

• Locked thread