Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

KazigluBey posted:

that is fine too, it was just a request, so I think I'll keep spacetoaster on ignore, thanks. :)

I would put you on ignore to for being a weird anime lover, but it's against my religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

spacetoaster posted:

Seeing different ideas and opinions ARE scary.

"you don't like my posts because of my ~~OPINIONS~~"
*posts apparently non political garbage image with no additional explanation*

In actual news Podemos got 68 chairs in the spanish parliament while PP, the center-right ruling party, lost 64 chairs going down from a 54% absolute majority in parliament (which let them do absurd poo poo like the gag law) to barely 33%. Ciudadanos also got a good showing, so maybe we'll get to see some new politics in action this next few years or more likely these two parties will be absorbed by standard politics after shaking things up a bit on their arrival.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ekuNNN posted:

That's a bit of a strange thing to say. I don't have sheet metal blanks, and filing something like those keys accurately would take a bunch of work. On the other hand, they would be easy to mock up in a 3d program for me based on those pictures and I have access to a 3d-printer. I think you're basing what's easy or not based on your own available skills and tools.

Well admittedly I've never done any actual lockpicking stuff, but I figure it would be easier to get some .075 thick sheet metal, cut it into 4-6 inch by half inch strips, transfer the pattern to them and then grind/file/sand them to size. My experience with 3D printers indicates to me that printed objects generally have relatively limited strength when twisted, so I'd be worried about it just breaking off inside the padlock.

A 3D printed gun was seized in a police raid on a Australian methlab two weeks ago.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I've probably posted this before, but I just watched it again and loled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaxHjxOlo4

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I believe spacetoaster's image was a reference to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcTKWiZ8sI

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I believe spacetoaster's image was a reference to this:

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Some Ram Dass for you, because everyone needs a little perspective:

Other random stuff:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bagual posted:

"you don't like my posts because of my ~~OPINIONS~~"
*posts apparently non political garbage image with no additional explanation*

Yeah the lack of additional information for the image is annoying but the reference to the Sesame Score makes sense with what he said about being exposed to different opinions. Since, I guess that would drag down your score.

That whole Sesame Score is really interesting. I just finished watching Psycho Pass so I was noticing a lot of similar themes. Like a mash up of this thing and Minority Report.

Wikipedia posted:

Psycho-Pass is set in 2113. The Sibyl System is actively measuring the populace's mental states, personalities, and the probability that individuals will commit crimes, using a "cymatic scan" of the brain. The resulting assessment is called a Psycho-Pass. When the probability of a person engaging in crimes measured by the Crime Coefficient index exceeds a certain level in an individual, he or she is pursued, apprehended, and killed if necessary.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

itskage posted:

Yeah the lack of additional information for the image is annoying but the reference to the Sesame Score makes sense with what he said about being exposed to different opinions. Since, I guess that would drag down your score.

That whole Sesame Score is really interesting. I just finished watching Psycho Pass so I was noticing a lot of similar themes. Like a mash up of this thing and Minority Report.

I just figured everybody knew what that was (I just use google image search if anyone posts a photo I don't get. But I'm weird like that.). I've been exposed to it on multiple sites/forums in the last few days.

I hope it fails. I imagine a way to game the system will be discovered and it'll never really be implemented because of that.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The SpaceX Falcon 9 craft managed to successfully lift off, deliver a payload into orbit, and touch down. People everywhere are basically calling Elon Musk the King of all Cosmos. It's an amazing achievement in rocketry that will make space an order of magnitude cheaper to reach. Like everything else he does though I struggle to put into words the question about who ultimately is going to benefit from his stuff. They say he's going to change the world but how, when what he mainly seems to be selling is or will eventually end up as consumer products of things we already own (cars, power batteries, whatever)?

I'm not trying to sound deep or meaningful, I'm really asking since apparently the "D&D for newbies" thread has vanished somewhere.

I also implicitly distrust anyone whom nerds worship unconditionally but that's probably just be something I need to get over.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pierson posted:

The SpaceX Falcon 9 craft managed to successfully lift off, deliver a payload into orbit, and touch down. People everywhere are basically calling Elon Musk the King of all Cosmos. It's an amazing achievement in rocketry that will make space an order of magnitude cheaper to reach. Like everything else he does though I struggle to put into words the question about who ultimately is going to benefit from his stuff. They say he's going to change the world but how, when what he mainly seems to be selling is or will eventually end up as consumer products of things we already own (cars, power batteries, whatever)?

I'm not trying to sound deep or meaningful, I'm really asking since apparently the "D&D for newbies" thread has vanished somewhere.

I also implicitly distrust anyone whom nerds worship unconditionally but that's probably just be something I need to get over.

It's awesome. But it's not some new idea. We had this almost 30 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXcTFfV3Ls

poop device
Mar 6, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

It's awesome. But it's not some new idea. We had this almost 30 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzXcTFfV3Ls

Didn't that never leave the atmosphere?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

poop device posted:

Didn't that never leave the atmosphere?

somehow, I don't think the atmosphere is the hard part

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

itskage posted:

Oh haha i didn't watch that video the first time. Made the post seem like complete nonsense, I guess spacetoaster is actually a barely okay poster and I was the bad poster all along? My world is shattered.

That said, having watched the video, sesame credit can't be that different from the chinese state's regular services (which I suppose must have some sort of political screening), just way more efficient in using the internet as a means for automatizing and expanding it's reach. Cronyism, now user-friendly.

Also this system could lead to situations such as in the late East German regime where opposition demonstrations who sang antiquated patriotic songs ironically were put down by the police. I imagine ironic praise detection algorithms would catch the real loyalists all the time.

edit: Also, on space
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

bagual fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 22, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Get the government out of marriage. If the Quakers or Unitarians want to bless a marriage between a same-sex couple then that should be their right under allcaps GOD and no state government should get in their way.

That's his sentiment, right?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

No one. Literally no one will benefit from this, except your borderline autistic engineer friend

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

someone should remake this stencil, only have it say "gun owners" too

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Goatman Sacks posted:

No one. Literally no one will benefit from this, except your borderline autistic engineer friend

When we attempt things that have never been done before, we discover and develop new technologies that help us in ways we never anticipated.

I can't help but notice that you're using a computer full of semiconductor diodes sending information around the world through the internet to complain about this.

Here's a very small start on this, just in the modern era, for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhBNHLWj07o

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Goatman Sacks posted:

I've heard the theory that increased exposure to other cultures reduces your own's willingness to bomb them. More accessible transportation will help to make the world smaller.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Gullous posted:

I've heard the theory that increased exposure to other cultures reduces your own's willingness to bomb them. More accessible transportation will help to make the world smaller.
Yeah, but even "more accessible" spaceflight is still going to be limited to those who can afford it, so you still run into the "New advancements are going to make things so much better (for rich white people)" criticism.

Content: How 19 major corporations plan to profit from climate change. New/growing avenues include securing borders against refugees, protecting refugee camps, exploiting the newly accessible Arctic shipping lanes and oil fields, selling more AC units to deal with heat waves, selling drought-resistant crops, and ice cream.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Gullous posted:

I have a feeling that commercial space travel will only mean that CEOs will have orbital insertions as a job requirement for the near future

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Literally Esoteric posted:

When we attempt things that have never been done before, we discover and develop new technologies that help us in ways we never anticipated.

I can't help but notice that you're using a computer full of semiconductor diodes sending information around the world through the internet to complain about this.

And also benefiting from "being a adult" thanks to modern medical science reducing infant/child mortality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZu04v7_hc

Milk Based Economy
Mar 25, 2006

The Man with the Dairy...

Rules.
That has a very early 90's dystopian feed to it.

"Look on twitter!" - Howard Dean trying to defend Hillary's comments on the use of Trump in ISIS recruitment videos.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/22/morning-joe-panel-is-speechless-after-hearing-what-howard-dean-has-to-say-video/

Milk Based Economy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 23, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did you know Jesus is a major part of the Bible, you scum?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Goatman Sacks posted:

My goodness you are angry, and misinformed. Besides, there's absolutely no one saying we can't both take care of the poor and go to space. The existence of one thing does not negate the other.

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0812/the-roi-of-space-exploration.aspx

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Did you know Jesus is a major part of the Bible, you scum?

Jesus only shows up halfway into the book, then promptly gets killed off and after that is only seen in strange visions and the trippy finale episode. Hell, if the Bible was a movie, he'd be played by Sean Bean.

FlyingCheese posted:

My goodness you are angry, and misinformed. Besides, there's absolutely no one saying we can't both take care of the poor and go to space. The existence of one thing does not negate the other.

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0812/the-roi-of-space-exploration.aspx

Well, strictly speaking that's true, but the problem is that there seems to be very little mention of taking care of the poor being a good thing whereas some investor dude's company doing what the government did decades ago is hailed as the biggest thing since the Moon Landings. Therefore a juxtaposition between lauding something good but still relatively minor in the grand sceme of things and ignoring the plight of millions who could be helped right now shows how inhumane the priorities of society actually are.

Or in other words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

FlyingCheese posted:

Besides, there's absolutely no one saying we can't both take care of the poor and go to space.
We can. But we won't.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Why did 3 people post whitey on the moon on this page?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6DVdCzwy0

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Outer Space Is Bourgeois

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, strictly speaking that's true, but the problem is that there seems to be very little mention of taking care of the poor being a good thing whereas some investor dude's company doing what the government did decades ago is hailed as the biggest thing since the Moon Landings. Therefore a juxtaposition between lauding something good but still relatively minor in the grand sceme of things and ignoring the plight of millions who could be helped right now shows how inhumane the priorities of society actually are.

Or in other words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4
A launch vehicle's first stage has never before been recovered. Nobody has ever developed a reusable launcher to the point where they've actually recovered it from flight in presumably operational condition. It's really reaching to say it's been "done before".

I think it's hypocritical that spaceflight is immediately compared to fixing all of the ills of this world, why is this money not being spent on feeding the poor, as if they are somehow mutually exclusive pursuits. The hypocrisy stems from the fact that practically no other pursuit except perhaps war (justly so) is so scrutinized. Why are billions being spent on TV programs, movies, ice cream, highways, and a million other pursuits of varying importance that do not directly relate to feeding the poor or taking care of the sick? Why did you spend your money on the computer you posted this from instead of feeding the poor? Is it just that the companies that designed it spent so much money developing more powerful computers?

There is also a common perception that orders of magnitude more money is being spent on spaceflight than actually is spent that contributes to this, because it makes spaceflight look exceptional compared to everything else money is being spent on.

The Jason-3 satellite, which Falcon will launch early next year. It continues a program of sea level measurements important to research on changes in ocean circulation and sea level due to climate change.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 23, 2015

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elukka posted:

I think it's hypocritical that spaceflight is immediately compared to fixing all of the ills of this world, why is this money not being spent on feeding the poor, as if they are somehow mutually exclusive pursuits. The hypocrisy stems from the fact that practically no other pursuit except perhaps war (justly so) is so scrutinized. Why are billions being spent on TV programs, movies, ice cream, highways, and a million other pursuits of varying importance that do not directly relate to feeding the poor or taking care of the sick? Why did you spend your money on the computer you posted this from instead of feeding the poor? Is it just that the companies that designed it spent so much money developing more powerful computers?

There is also a common perception that orders of magnitude more money is being spent on spaceflight than actually is spent that contributes to this, because it makes spaceflight look exceptional compared to everything else money is being spent on.

The takeaway here is that the question never was "why is space exploration getting so much money", it's "if the government can put a man on the moon, why can't it feed the poor?" Saying that we can do both is a real copout, because one of these things is actually getting money and more importantly attention, but as for the other, well:

So the question becomes, why should any of these people give two shits about your fancy gizmos when they can't even put food on the table? You gotta offer them something in return, and so far US society has failed on that front.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 23, 2015

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Cerebral Bore posted:

ignoring the plight of millions who could be helped right now shows how inhumane the priorities of society actually are.

How out of touch with reality do you have to be to believe poo poo like this?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Seems relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerebral Bore posted:

The takeaway here is that the question never was "why is space exploration getting so much money", it's "if the government can put a man on the moon, why can't it feed the poor?" Saying that we can do both is a real copout, because one of these things is actually getting money and more importantly attention, but as for the other, well:

So the question becomes, why should any of these people give two shits about your fancy gizmos when they can't even put food on the table? You gotta offer them something in return, and so far US society has failed on that front.

Except the government spends many times more on welfare, medicare, medicaid, social security, and other anti-poverty programs than on NASA so it's not like eliminating space exploration and satellite launches will cure poverty.

• Locked thread