Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Someone help. I'm really bad at this game. I bought a viper mk 4 and spent a bunch of money (3 mil) on weapons and shields and I still get owned by npcs that aren't mostly harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Someone help. I'm really bad at this game. I bought a viper mk 4 and spent a bunch of money on weapons and shields and I still get owned by npcs that aren't mostly harmless.

You'll still get owned, it's a fact of life that some ships are better at fighting. The viper is still kind of an entry-level combat ship, and you're likely to get smoked by a Vulture, Python, or FAS if they aren't being distracted by something else like a conflict zone or your wingmates. Viper is real good at killing most other Small ships (except the Vulture), but it's still pretty easy to wear it down for anybody with medium or larger lasers mounted.

How's your maneuvering?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

deadly_pudding posted:

How garbage would you say the FPS is?
I'm running on a 660Ti while I try to get my 980Ti RMA'd, and performance goes from 60+ FPS to sub-30 on certain planets and often sub-40 from just looking at one in supercruise. This is with no vsync (which I never use anyway), no supersampling (or any other AA), and fairly modest settings otherwise. The only thing that seemed to make any difference was setting terrain material quality to low, which makes surfaces look like rear end, but usually keeps the FPS on planets from dipping below 20.

Horizons just really does not seem to like cards that aren't 9xx series.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

You'll still get owned, it's a fact of life that some ships are better at fighting. The viper is still kind of an entry-level combat ship, and you're likely to get smoked by a Vulture, Python, or FAS if they aren't being distracted by something else like a conflict zone or your wingmates. Viper is real good at killing most other Small ships (except the Vulture), but it's still pretty easy to wear it down for anybody with medium or larger lasers mounted.

How's your maneuvering?
I play on a 360 controller, I'm old and suck at video games. Not good, I imagine.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Unkempt posted:

Could it be that you've shot out their thrusters and they can't move?

No. It's a long-standing bug. Happens even when their shields are up. They spin in place for like 20 seconds praying for death.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Shine posted:

No. It's a long-standing bug. Happens even when their shields are up. They spin in place for like 20 seconds praying for death.

As a newbie who is making their bucks shooting things in resource extraction sites, I love this bug since it lets me punch up occasionally.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So what options should I turn down to make exploring planet surfaces not perform like rear end? I'm running a 970 and the moment I hit the surface my framerate drops to somewhere around < 20. Everything else runs fine though :shrug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

year199X posted:

So what options should I turn down to make exploring planet surfaces not perform like rear end? I'm running a 970 and the moment I hit the surface my framerate drops to somewhere around < 20. Everything else runs fine though :shrug:

Scroll to the very bottom of the graphics options, turn down that stuff.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

How's your maneuvering?

Eh, Viper Mk 4 (in case you were thinking it was the Mk 3) isn't really entry level like the Mk3 is. It's definitely a tier up and much more capable in every way. I'm not the most skilled pilot by far, but I could comfortably say that I'd be okay taking on a wing of 2-3 anything up to FDSes, and soloing pretty much anything but a conda.

If he's getting smoked there's something he's doing wrong.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Someone help. I'm really bad at this game. I bought a viper mk 4 and spent a bunch of money (3 mil) on weapons and shields and I still get owned by npcs that aren't mostly harmless.

Not sure what your credit budget looks like, but I erred on the side of "broke" when I put this build together, trying to stay within 1 million of the 3 mil mark you said you already spent.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/04C4B4A2D3C3D4C1b1b24240002472b59276d2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

This build should be reasonably capable of taking on anything in a Hi Res and is very newbie-friendly to fly, meaning you don't have to worry about screwing around with power settings and the only thing to remember to do is to pop a heat sink after you use a shield cell.

However, it's got almost triple the base hull strength of the Viper Mk 4, so if you didn't feel like screwing around with dealing with heat sinks and shield cells even, you could just ditch the SCB for something else and fit a Kill Warrant Scanner in place of the heat sinks and make a little bit of extra scratch instead.

Here's an alternative SCB-less build with an even stronger hull and biweave shields for faster recharge:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/04C4B4A2D3C3D4C1b1b2424000lB32b29276d2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

And if you wanted to do things a little less pure-combat oriented, you could drop that extra hull reinforcement package for a vehicle hangar or cargo rack or something. Exploring planets in a Viper Mk 4 is fun too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

year199X posted:

What resolution are you running in? Planets are fine for me on a 970 at 1080p Ultra settings.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

TomR posted:

Getting some snacks from a space 7/11

Your screenshots are good and you should feel good. :buddy: are you just flying around the bubble or are you headed somewhere in particular? Giving me the itch to go out exploring again.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

deadly_pudding posted:

What resolution are you running in? Planets are fine for me on a 970 at 1080p Ultra settings.
I think by default terrain generation is handled by the cpu? There's a slider that lets you decide how much of it gets moved off to the gpu at any rate, unless I've misunderstood things.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is flying rares around in a cosmic circle still the way to make cash?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Eh, Viper Mk 4 (in case you were thinking it was the Mk 3) isn't really entry level like the Mk3 is. It's definitely a tier up and much more capable in every way. I'm not the most skilled pilot by far, but I could comfortably say that I'd be okay taking on a wing of 2-3 anything up to FDSes, and soloing pretty much anything but a conda.

If he's getting smoked there's something he's doing wrong.

Not sure what your credit budget looks like, but I erred on the side of "broke" when I put this build together, trying to stay within 1 million of the 3 mil mark you said you already spent.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/04C4B4A2D3C3D4C1b1b24240002472b59276d2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

This build should be reasonably capable of taking on anything in a Hi Res and is very newbie-friendly to fly, meaning you don't have to worry about screwing around with power settings and the only thing to remember to do is to pop a heat sink after you use a shield cell.

However, it's got almost triple the base hull strength of the Viper Mk 4, so if you didn't feel like screwing around with dealing with heat sinks and shield cells even, you could just ditch the SCB for something else and fit a Kill Warrant Scanner in place of the heat sinks and make a little bit of extra scratch instead.

Here's an alternative SCB-less build with an even stronger hull and biweave shields for faster recharge:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/04C4B4A2D3C3D4C1b1b2424000lB32b29276d2h.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

And if you wanted to do things a little less pure-combat oriented, you could drop that extra hull reinforcement package for a vehicle hangar or cargo rack or something. Exploring planets in a Viper Mk 4 is fun too.

Thanks for this. I really feel like I've dumped a ton of money into the ship for no tangible gain in effectiveness, which I'm guessing is probably true because I have really no idea what equipment is actually effective. As far as I can tell my 500,000 credit beam lasers are no better than the 100,000 pulse laser. I spent a million on a shield and I'm guessing I got the wrong size because it somehow seems worse than my old default one...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Thanks for this. I really feel like I've dumped a ton of money into the ship for no tangible gain in effectiveness, which I'm guessing is probably true because I have really no idea what equipment is actually effective. As far as I can tell my 500,000 credit beam lasers are no better than the 100,000 pulse laser. I spent a million on a shield and I'm guessing I got the wrong size because it somehow seems worse than my old default one...

I've got this post bookmarked: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324#post449842383

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Fitting beams on a Viper4 is certainly possible but would bring power-wrangling into the equation, and to be honest, there's nothing really that 2 medium beams would do any better than 2 medium bursts or pulses.

It could be that you're lacking proper hull-damaging weapons. 2 gimballed cannons in the medium slot and 2 small (gimballed) beams in the smalls is what I had on my Viper4 and it worked pretty well; the downside is that it will take you a lot longer to kill anything bigger than you, compared to using the mediums for beam weapons. However the small beams will wreck the shields of anything your size and below.

For example, this:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/viper_mk_iv/04C4B4A2D3C3D4C1l1l0p0p0002472b59276d2h.Iw1-kA==.IwBj4yKA

Notice that you'll have to turn the cargo hatch to priority 2 to keep everything else within spec for a C class powerplant, but that's a one time thing and it won't make any difference since there's no cargo capacity anyway.

e: also make sure the cannons and beams are set to different fire buttons, you don't want to waste cannon shots on shields without a reason to.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 22, 2015

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

forkbucket posted:

Your screenshots are good and you should feel good. :buddy: are you just flying around the bubble or are you headed somewhere in particular? Giving me the itch to go out exploring again.

Thanks. I'm only 1000 ly away at the moment. I think I was about 2000 ly away at most this trip. Having a great time with planets though.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

There's no way to make a 2nd Shield Booster work on this Beam+Shotty Vulture build, eh?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/24A5A4A3D5A4D3C0v1u04040m00B22b2o6625.AwRj-UPI.AwiMIywJm4g=?bn=Beam%20Shotty

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do goons or anyone actually try and get to the other side of the Galaxy ?

What percentage of systems have been explored?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Several people have done or attempted to do galaxy sweeps along the outer edges, one of them a goon that we lost to the darkness of the deep black for awhile there, known as ATT (A Titan Tory).

I think the percentage is at something like 2.3% of all systems explored or close to that? :frontear: said something awhile back along the lines of "if exploration continues at the current rate it would take like 22 odd years to explore the entire galaxy" or someshit.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

There are around 400 billion systems right? They'll never all be explored.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

euphronius posted:

If you're looking to get your name out there, I found a half dozen or so systems out of a run of 40ish that were completely unexplored just southeast (if you consider the core of the galaxy north) of civilization, and even more where someone only scanned the star(s) and not the planets. And that is less than 800ly from Sol, so imagine once you hit 2000+.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do you hit gaps in the arms that you can't jump across?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rah! posted:

There are around 400 billion systems right? They'll never all be explored.

No, but they'll get increasingly hard to find or travel to.

My Experience is:
With in 500 LY of Sol everything is explored
500-1000 LY - most things are explored
1000-1500 LY - sporadic exploration
1500+ rare exploration

Obviously if you had towards major landmarks it is more explored.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Less than 0.01% is explored. They said that it would take over 150,000 years for us to explore it all.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Space Skeleton posted:

Less than 0.01% is explored. They said that it would take over 150,000 years for us to explore it all.

Yeah I was thinking 22 years seemed like an unreasonably short amount of time.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
If all one million players of E:D Managed to coordinate into the largest, stupidest excercise in human history, assuming that each player could jump to a completely undiscovered system every time they jumped, and could honk, scoop, and jump in 30 seconds, it would take 4 months to explore the entire galaxy, provided no one ever ate, slept, or pooped.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Not very surprising, the exploration hop-n-honk is unfathomably boring.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
I've never followed Elite Dangerous when it was in production because I thought Star Citizen would come to fruition. But since that doesn't seem likely in the near future, I have some questions.

Is Elite considered a MMO? How does the multiplayer work?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mad_Thick posted:

I've never followed Elite Dangerous when it was in production because I thought Star Citizen would come to fruition. But since that doesn't seem likely in the near future, I have some questions.

I think Frontier called it an MMO but no, its not an MMO just like SC isn't an MMO.

The multiplayer element is basically a larger scale version of what SC has accomplished so far. SC has one system right now, Elite has billions. SC has up to 16 people per instance, Elite has 40 I think.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Also running at 1080p. I turned down the planet settings at the bottom of the graphics menu and they seemed to have little to no effect. Someone said something about updated drivers that helped, right?

nessin posted:

If you're looking to get your name out there, I found a half dozen or so systems out of a run of 40ish that were completely unexplored just southeast (if you consider the core of the galaxy north) of civilization, and even more where someone only scanned the star(s) and not the planets. And that is less than 800ly from Sol, so imagine once you hit 2000+.

So I'm currently 3000LY out of the bubble, and I'm wondering about claiming, because I've seen a lot of systems where someone's name is on the star you jump to and nothing else. Did they just forgot to honk the system, or do you need to scan the planets too?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bushiz posted:

If all one million players of E:D Managed to coordinate into the largest, stupidest excercise in human history, assuming that each player could jump to a completely undiscovered system every time they jumped, and could honk, scoop, and jump in 30 seconds, it would take 4 months to explore the entire galaxy, provided no one ever ate, slept, or pooped.

Free Soylent with every purchase of Horizons!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

mad_Thick posted:

There are three flavors of Multiplayer: solo, private and open.

Solo means you play alone, but everyone's actions will still affect the state of the galaxy for you (ie, Powerplay, what factions own what systems, exploration).

Private is like solo, but you fly with your friends and only your friends.

Open means you can encounter anyone at any time. However, rather than an Eve like "all on one instance" sort of thing, you are matchmade into instances with 30 or so people you can run into (preference given to your friends, though).

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

BurntCornMuffin posted:

There are three flavors of Multiplayer: solo, private and open.

Solo means you play alone, but everyone's actions will still affect the state of the galaxy for you (ie, Powerplay, what factions own what systems, exploration).

Private is like solo, but you fly with your friends and only your friends.

Open means you can encounter anyone at any time. However, rather than an Eve like "all on one instance" sort of thing, you are matchmade into instances with 30 or so people you can run into (preference given to your friends, though).

Oh that sounds pretty interesting. I'll stop making GBS threads up this thread and do some research.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh god I just got my t.flight. I had just gotten used to keyboard and mouse and now switching over is going to be a bitch.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bushiz posted:

Of course after two months every player would be dead due to starvation and the new players coming into the game after them would probably abandon exploration entirely, thanks to the giant mass of already taken star systems halfway across the galaxy. The galaxy would never be fully explored. :v:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Bushiz posted:

Someone tell me if this is a bad idea because it looks like the most fun I could possibly have:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/06A5A4A4D6A4A3C1rihihihih0404020000024a5d326b2f.Iw18aQ==.EwBj4yIRhUg=

Yes this is p much what I run, I use 3 Boosters though, not 2 heat sinks.

4 Hammers own. 4 Rails own.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Let's talk Powerplay.

By which I mean pledging to a power, doing gently caress all for a month, and then spending what is now an insignificant amount of credits in an annoying click-fest getting to 750 merits, and then buying unique modules & storing them on cheap hulls in case they ever become good.

So far I have cyto-scrambler lasers (they sounded useful when all we had was the description!), imperial hammer railguns (which are pretty good, miserable ammo count aside), and the green shields unlock when I next rank up.

What else, if anything, is worth having?

Do the Hudson frag-cannons get the same ammo-boost as regular ones? Because the bonus there sounds like a good trade-off for less damage, and 3 of them on a python :getin:

If nothing else is actually good though, I'll probably just go for drunken missiles, can't go wrong there.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Question, I'm liking the t.flight and all the buttons it has. This bindings I found in steam actually work pretty well 99% of the time. One issue I have is not being able to close windows quickly though. I cant find a bind to close all UI windows in the controls panel, where should I be looking at? Am I screwed since its hard bind to esc or something?

e-Welp found it, its UI back.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

year199X posted:

Also running at 1080p. I turned down the planet settings at the bottom of the graphics menu and they seemed to have little to no effect. Someone said something about updated drivers that helped, right?

So I'm currently 3000LY out of the bubble, and I'm wondering about claiming, because I've seen a lot of systems where someone's name is on the star you jump to and nothing else. Did they just forgot to honk the system, or do you need to scan the planets too?

You can scan planets, but some people don't bother because it isn't a big payout unless you hit an earth-like planet. You also have to get pretty close, usually within 25-80 for your scanner to work, whereas stars can be scanned from 1-2k away.

euphronius posted:

Do you hit gaps in the arms that you can't jump across?

No, but I had a 30 ly range and I wasn't really paying attention to where I was going beyond a few jumps.

• Locked thread