Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's the video Jeff Bezos posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pillaOxGCo

The concept is pretty good, it's a better (read simpler, possibly cheaper) system for suborbital flight vertical high altitude up-and-downs than Virgin Galactic. But it can't do anything more than that. So Mr Bezos shouldn't be snarky about SpaceX, but I guess today's tech billionaires have the same self-image and humility as a fascist dictator or a medieval king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

Although nor did this one. Still higher than the Amazon one though

:eng101: This one deployed something that did go to space, however, and was not flying on a ballistic up and down trajectory.

Also, it was heading at much greater speeds than Blue Origins. Blue Origins does not yet have to return from trying to achieve escape velocity.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ola posted:

Here's the video Jeff Bezos posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pillaOxGCo

The concept is pretty good, it's a better (read simpler, possibly cheaper) system for suborbital flight vertical high altitude up-and-downs than Virgin Galactic. But it can't do anything more than that. So Mr Bezos shouldn't be snarky about SpaceX, but I guess today's tech billionaires have the same self-image and humility as a fascist dictator or a medieval king.

Today's?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Enourmo posted:

"space" is usually defined as the karman line, 100km.

BO's rocket went straight up to like 100.09, deployed a dummy payload, came back down and soft landed.

SpaceX's separated at about 80km; its momentum plus the boostback burn took it up to about 140km, plus significant lateral velocity.

So technically they both went to space, just not orbit.

Also BO's had an easier job at touchdown, because the engine could be throttled down to below a thrust/weight ratio of 1, so they could hover before slowly descending to a soft landing. Even with only 1 of 9 engines running at the minimum throttle setting, the Falcon has a TWR greater than 1, so if it comes to a stop above the ground it'll start ascending again, which you can imagine would cause complications. All of which means they have to time engine re-ignition perfectly so that it stops right on the ground, without going back up or hitting the ground too fast.

It's a pretty significant difference.

CommieGIR posted:

:eng101: This one deployed something that did go to space, however, and was not flying on a ballistic up and down trajectory.

Also, it was heading at much greater speeds than Blue Origins. Blue Origins does not yet have to return from trying to achieve escape velocity.

I forget whose law it's supposed to be but it states that posting something wrong in the internet is the quickest way to learn about it.

Not that it's what I did here. I paraphrased what I'd heard in a short non-tech news video. I was just regular wrong. But thanks for the info!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Its the only place on the internet I fact check before I post and am delighted when corrected.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

I forget whose law it's supposed to be but it states that posting something wrong in the internet is the quickest way to learn about it.

Not that it's what I did here. I paraphrased what I'd heard in a short non-tech news video. I was just regular wrong. But thanks for the info!

You're welcome!

He're the flight profile, granted this shows the barge, but same gist:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Always relevant, the xkcd (which Musk cited when he was stealing the twitter-thunder after blue origin's grasshopper++ test) that explains getting to space vs getting to orbit:

https://what-if.xkcd.com/58/

Also waiting for the future carrier-pilot-like dick waving about "our rocket lands on a ship."

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 22, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Infinotize posted:

Also waiting for the future carrier-pilot-like dick waving about "our rocket lands on a ship."

I feel like SpaceX needs to go full on Howard Hughes and build a giant ship with a gyroscopic-ally balanced landing pad a'la the Hughes Glomar Explorer's drill rig.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Infinotize posted:

Shhhh, not so loud. The Marine Corps might get ideas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

He're the flight profile, granted this shows the barge, but same gist:

Terrestrial version:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa, crazy drone accident in the world cup slalom in Italy. It was used to give overhead footage of some racers, then suddenly it crashed, a fraction of a second away from hitting Marcel Hirscher, one of the best slalom racers in history. I don't know how to grab video from it, but here are the screens that matters. As you can imagine, the TV production team who sent the drone up did not show a single repeat or any footage of the loving thing being tidied up.

(click for big)

They are 0.3 secs away from occupying the same space at the blue gate. In the first pic you can see the red gate Hirscher has just passed, the drone falls done right on the edge of his curve towards the blue gate. Holy smokes, heads will roll over this. He kept a cool head and took the lead though. Until Norwegian Henrik Kristoffersen put him in his place, hell yes!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What would cause a drone to do that? low battery? Bad sudden wind gust?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Apollo posted:

Some drones are supposed to gracefully land if their battery is low, but sometimes they just drop. I know that at work I took custody of all the raw footage a videographer shot for one of our videos, and it included a clip where the drone suddenly began plummeting to the ground and smacked into the concrete. Most of the video was the videographer and pilot staring at the lens trying to figure out if anything was broken.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Who knows. It's a toy carrying broadcast(-ish) quality camera and transmitter with six hobby electric motors, any one of them a single point of failure, operating above quickly moving human beings, in the same airspace as electric cables and ski lifts, in cold, wet, snowy conditions. What could possibly go wrong?

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9T6-KPFRq8

edit: "heavy air traffic in Italy" he says on his Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/_m5659llDs/

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 22, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

An example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHloNtqU4F4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KRCc-Ly3Jo

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if perhaps we can all go one page without descending into dronechat again

http://gfycat.com/ZestyImportantBluefish

(NWS)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Those are great, I wonder if they have some protect mode when they're at the limit which makes them descend so neatly.

buttcrackmenace posted:

I wonder if perhaps we can all go one page without descending into dronechat again

(NWS)

Those are great, I wonder if they have some protect mode when they're at the limit which makes them descend so neatly.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 22, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ola posted:

Those are great, I wonder if they have some protect mode when they're at the limit which makes the descend so neatly.

I believe that they detect when the battery is dangerously low and automatically go into a slow, controlled descent. I'm guessing that ski crash is the result of damage or extreme loss of control rather than a dead battery.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
A dying battery results in gradually less power to the motors. Most drones will respond to this by having a slow, mostly controlled decent. chitoryu12 is probably spot on about that being the result of damage or loss of control. If it was originally a racer/trick build rather than something actually designed to be a steady platform, then that crash would make even more sense, as it's default behaviour isn't 'level out and chill', it's more likely 'continue on last path, no matter what'. Given you're flying something downhill, at a relatively constant altitude loss, at a good speed, a more agile platform would make sense.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

buttcrackmenace posted:

(NWS)

Goddamn to be rich.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This hideously beautiful beast just went over my house at about 2200 feet, howling like someone withheld its vodka ration:

Of course it didn't have the courtesy to take off in daylight, or when it wasn't raining...or on a day when I was at work and could have taken my own drat pictures of it.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Captain Apollo posted:

Most likely a broken motor/speed controller/electrical connection. It hit the ground edge-on but with props still spinning like crazy which is indicative of a corner failure. This is the worst case scenario for a multirotor, but pretty much any mechanical failure on a multirotor = death. Wind is usually a non-issue for these things as long as they are tuned well. Essentially the quad is already correcting position 200 or 400 times per second and is already incredibly unaerodynamic and unstable so a sudden change of wind really doesn't bother them.

buttcrackmenace posted:

(NWS)
Not likely since this is the Aeronautical Insanity thread and UAVs are an ever-increasing part of life now. Basically you should expect more dronechat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm okay with dronechat because they're so common that they're becoming one of the few ways that the Average Joe can get involved in flight. The only other real options are to pay for a helicopter tour or actually become a licensed pilot.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

The only other real options are to pay for a helicopter tour or actually become a licensed pilot.

In this particular case I think they wanted to get birds eye TV shots on a shoestring budget. I think it was in the 1998 Nagano winter olympics where I first saw the high cable run cameras on the slalom course. Awesome shots! But never used in the world cup, because the budget for each event is just a tiny fraction of the olympics. So I guess some people associated with the TV production crew has been pushing and pushing, they promised (this was quoted on Austrian news) to not fly over the slalom run or the crowd area, but only on the space between them. All the TV shots I saw where straight above the run, so the drone crew were breaking the agreement early on and not getting told to control themselves. Total scandal. It doesn't weight much, and they wear helmets, but those carbon blades are spinning at crazy speeds and the muscles and tendons of Marcel Hirscher are the most valuable assets of Austria.

I guess dronechat is like gunchat, it's not the thing, but the person using the thing. Well, you can't ban persons so just ban the thing. At least from FIS World Cup alpine races. Jeez, it was just the other day I realized I am the enthusiastic OP of the drone thread in DIY and now I don't like them at all. Ok, wrong, I still like them, I just hate the loving morons using them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drones were getting used for the Olympics as well. You could see their shadows and sometimes the rotor blades as they flew, and sometimes they'd appear on other cameras following the skiers and snowboarders.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Are AN-22s still flying?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SyHopeful posted:

Are AN-22s still flying?

I think Antonov and the Russian air force have a handful still active between them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Whoops

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-23/military-plane-and-civilian-helicopter-near-miss-over-adelaide/7049782

quote:

An Air Force Orion and a civilian helicopter nearly collided near Edinburgh Airport in Adelaide's northern suburbs in August, a report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has confirmed.

An investigation into the near miss by the ATSB said the crew of the Orion thought the helicopter would hit its vertical tail fin, as the two aircraft came within 15 metres of each other on August 31.

The bureau said the near miss was caused by communication delays between an air traffic controller at the Edinburgh Air Force base and the helicopter pilot, who did not see the Orion at first.

The helicopter had been cleared to fly over the area while the Lockheed AP-3C Orion with five crew and 14 passengers was approaching Edinburgh and had priority to land.

The crew of the Orion increased its rate of descent to avoid a collision, while the helicopter pilot made a rapid climb.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

are helicopters equipped with tcas, or did the heli pilot happen to make the correct climb decisio

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey FYI now the TSA can force you to go through its scanners instead of being able to opt-out.

http://www.slashgear.com/now-the-tsa-can-force-you-to-go-through-the-body-scanner-22419599/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Captain Apollo posted:

This would be a software or control system failure of some sort.

What we can tell from the picture, is that it's a 8x multicopter, with biplane rigs at each of four corners. Hexes and Octos can handle motor failures. A hex loses yaw authority when it loses a motor, a Octocopter can still operate "pretty normally" so long as it's not heavily loaded.

There are two levels of failsafe on a multicopter like that. There's a "failsafe" built into the control board, and typically there's a failsafe in the reciever. What's supposed to happen when the reciever loses signal, is it will snap to the preset failsafe positions and the craft.. if set right.. should just "keep doing what it's doing".

In this case, a camera platform multirotor will never be out of stability and altitude hold modes.... so losing signal should be a non-issue. Well, non issue so far as flying like a block of epoxy, carbon fiber, and lithium shouldn't fly.

So.. why would it fall like that? Lets say the receiver is set to output "midpoint" settings for every channel except throttle when it loses signal. If that happens... well your multirotor will drop like a very level rock. But that wasn't very level... Lets say you had your flight mode channel set so that something other than stable mode is what you're in when the channel is at the midpoint. In that case, a loss of signal will cause your quad to fall.

You could also have a flight controller failure. Lets say you're using the barometer to control altitude, if that suddenly reports you're in space... well it's going to bring you down. Fast. Hopefully level.. but cutting motors can cause a loss of stability as well.

Among other potential failures.

Just so we're clear here, the most important question is not "why did it crash", it's "why the hell was it flying over someone?" That needs answering.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey FYI now the TSA can force you to go through its scanners instead of being able to opt-out.

http://www.slashgear.com/now-the-tsa-can-force-you-to-go-through-the-body-scanner-22419599/

Gotta make sure those terrorists don't get any bombs onto airplanes. In fact, we're so concerned about it that we'll bunch up hundreds of travelers in big groups at the security checkpoints! That definitely means nothing at all to a potential terrorist!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

chitoryu12 posted:

Gotta make sure those terrorists don't get any bombs onto airplanes. In fact, we're so concerned about it that we'll bunch up hundreds of travelers in big groups at the security checkpoints! That definitely means nothing at all to a potential terrorist!

Easy fix. Add another checkpoint *before* that checkpoint! :smug:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Easy fix. Add another checkpoint *before* that checkpoint! :smug:

Now you're thinking like a patriot :911:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why don't they build the entire plane out of checkpoints?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Why don't they build the entire plane out of checkpoints?

Better yet, given that you basically have to tell them everything but your blood type and susceptibility to certain types of cancers before buying a plane ticket nowadays, just have a TSA 'official' spend the night prior to your departure *with* you - at your expense, either at your temporary/permanent place of residence or in your hotel room - to make SURE no one else has packed your luggage or given you anything to take on board the plane. And before you say "that would be blatantly against the 3rd Amendment and pretty much the 4th, too," I'd ask you why you hate Freedom and remind you that TSA employees are neither soldiers nor are they LEOs, so :fuckoff: and have a nice day :patriot:.

Oh, and in exchange for having your privacy completely poo poo all over...you get to skip the checkpoint before the checkpoint but not the checkpoint *after* the checkpoint or the one after that.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Dec 23, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

Well it checks out: a bomb at a checkpoint is probably more survivable than a bomb in a plane.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Nerobro posted:

This would be a software or control system failure of some sort.

What we can tell from the picture, is that it's a 8x multicopter, with biplane rigs at each of four corners. Hexes and Octos can handle motor failures. A hex loses yaw authority when it loses a motor, a Octocopter can still operate "pretty normally" so long as it's not heavily loaded.
This is a myth. There are very few multirotors that truly can fly with a motor down , but only if it is very powerful with a lot of headroom (no big camera) can they maintain flight. X8s in particular have a big problem with yaw stability when a motor goes down, they start spinning like a top and become very unstable. The higher the disc loading the faster they crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Vitamin J posted:

This is a myth. There are very few multirotors that truly can fly with a motor down , but only if it is very powerful with a lot of headroom (no big camera) can they maintain flight. X8s in particular have a big problem with yaw stability when a motor goes down, they start spinning like a top and become very unstable. The higher the disc loading the faster they crash.

Doesn't sound very mythical to me. If you don't have the motor power left over to overcome the down motor, you're coming down.

Ooh, that's something else that could be a factor. Skiing happens in mountains. Altitude means the motors have less air to work with. Even if it was a setup that could handle a down motor around sea level, the lost lift may have put it in the "can't handle it" category.