Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bounty Hunter is more fun if you decide what kind you're going to be and don't worry about LS/DS.

Are you all about the money and will do whatever offers you more, or maybe you always do the job to the letter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
Origin has a bundle sale going on. 2 months sub, come coins, & a rancor pet for $20.
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/star-wars-the-old-republic/pc-download/bundle/deluxe-pack

Took forever for them to mail the code, tho. loving Origin. :argh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

blueberrysmith posted:

Reinstalling now and haven't played since around summer time probably. Thinking I might try out the Bounty Hunter story as it's one of the few I haven't really gone through. Should I go LS/DS or just ride the middle and be a money-grubbing lunatic? Any companion recommendations?

If you want to go LS the whole way through, Mako is an excellent choice; I don't think she'll get pissed at anything you do, as long as you're generally a good guy.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

prefect posted:

If you want to go LS the whole way through, Mako is an excellent choice; I don't think she'll get pissed at anything you do, as long as you're generally a good guy.

Thanks, I vaguely remember that from way back when. I may just follow the money, morals be damned.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I forgot how much I like the things this game does well. Trying to beast out a few more class stories with double xp. How does this compare the 12x xp thing they did for class stories a while back? Also, does subscription xp bonus stack with double XP event?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

blueberrysmith posted:

Reinstalling now and haven't played since around summer time probably. Thinking I might try out the Bounty Hunter story as it's one of the few I haven't really gone through. Should I go LS/DS or just ride the middle and be a money-grubbing lunatic? Any companion recommendations?

I played it pretty straight "I'm in it for the credits". I didn't kill kids or purposely gently caress over anyone unless they were Sith. It's a decent story through Act 1 and parts of Act 2. My issue with it is that the entire early parts of the story build you up as a complete independent and then in Act 3, you're forced to be "Hoorah Empire!". It was just jarring for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Remember that alignment REALLY doesn't matter in the game anymore. It used to be important to stay full light or full dark while you were leveling if you wanted to use relics as they were tied to your alignment. Now that there are lower level, more useful relics that aren't tied to alignment, even that reason is gone.

Play your toon as you want them to play. Even negative affection is gone if you go all evil and still use Mako.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Remember that alignment REALLY doesn't matter in the game anymore. It used to be important to stay full light or full dark while you were leveling if you wanted to use relics as they were tied to your alignment. Now that there are lower level, more useful relics that aren't tied to alignment, even that reason is gone.

Play your toon as you want them to play. Even negative affection is gone if you go all evil and still use Mako.

Some of the companions don't react the way I expected.

"Get off my ship, Skadge; you suck."
Skadge approves

"gently caress you, Skadge."
Skadge approves

:argh:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

prefect posted:

My money is on "the guy who knows how to make it work is on vacation".

Its likely some sort of weird conflict with the Life Day event, and somehow turning Bounty on, it would disable some part of Life Day so the game is screwed until someone can figure out what in the hell keep disabling Life Day when they rotate events.

And the guy who could debug that stuff probably is on vacation too. Or they just don't have enough people working on the game in general.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Medullah posted:

Good to know! Can I still level through just the class stories or was that a 12x special period of time? Not too interested in doing tons of side quests.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

blueberrysmith posted:

Good to know! Can I still level through just the class stories or was that a 12x special period of time? Not too interested in doing tons of side quests.

I don't know if double XP (which is on until next year, I think) is quite as good as 12x, but it's awfully close. You don't have to do much at all to overlevel everything. It's so nice not having to worry about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

blueberrysmith posted:

With double XP til 1/1 you can probably just do class quests.

After that you'll have to supplement class stories with something, the usual recommendation is Heroics.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

So they don't show the number of points anymore? +100 -100 etc?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or planet quests if you haven't done them before.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

So they don't show the number of points anymore? +100 -100 etc?

They do but like Who's Line is it Anyway, the points don't matter. Unless you want the dark side corruption look.

Also, well done to the dude that bought two of my crystals for 150k each and then relisted them at 5k each. You got a sale out of me!

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Bounty Hunter doesn't really have much of a story past act 1, and I found that pretty okay! You're a bounty hunter. On each planet you go hunt bounties. There are complications. And anyway at least on the independence thing, in the ending you can finally shoot the guy who orchestrated that whole situation so that's nice.

BH has some really split companions. Mako was well written and well acted. I loving loved Gault, but I also probably would have loved any character Daran Norris voiced. Blizz is one of the greatest companions in the whole drat game, just a really cheerful and violent Jawa merc. On the other hand, Torian was a mopey waste of space and I picked the [flirts] a couple of times just to make him uncomfortable; he eventually proposed despite my hating him. It also feels like he's sixteen and the voice actress plays the BH as in her mid-thirties, so it ended up feeling somehow even more predatory than the fact that BOTH MALE JEDI ROMANCES ARE WITH YOUR PADAWANS. Skadge is, no joke, the worst companion in the game and I'm still butthurt there's no way to throw him out an airlock.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

As we get into the biweekly discussion about how creepy romances are...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What romances are actually good? The only ones I've actually seen are Quinn (sucked) and Lana (pretty good?)-- my other 50s are a JK and agent who both didn't romance anybody. I think I'm the one person in the world who's kind of okay with Corso? But I'm not very far on my smuggler yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digital Osmosis posted:

I loving loved Gault, but I also probably would have loved any character Daran Norris voiced.

I thought that was Marc Evan Jackson this whole time; they sound very similar, I get them confused constantly. They're both good.

I like Gault, but it doesn't make sense that you recruit him, if you think about it. The entire story arc with him leading up to it is him constantly playing tricks on you to stop you from killing him, and then finally when you have him backed into a corner he's like "wait, if you promise not to kill me, I have a cunning plan in which it will work out for both of us and I SWEAR it's not a trick this time" and you have no choice but to say "sounds good!" like a naive dope.

I mean, I love the companion, but still, it seemed silly to me.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I've seen a lot of Skadge hate in this thread and I have to ask: is it because the character is written as a psychotic, unlikeable piece of poo poo, OR is it that you think the character is badly written, or a little bit of both?

I mean, Skadge is a violent, irredeemable rear end in a top hat, but I still prefer him over Torian's teen space samurai bullshit or Corso's nice guy white knight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's because you can't say no, and if you try he bullies you into getting on your crew and makes you look like a bitch. You kick his rear end at every turn and he offers nothing. He's worthless.

And then on top of that, he likes when you call him down so you even gain approval with his stupid rear end when you call him that.

Nobody has ever actually done his crew missions so that's not what they're referring to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Aphrodite posted:

It's because you can't say no, and if you try he bullies you into getting on your crew and makes you look like a bitch. You kick his rear end at every turn and he offers nothing. He's worthless.

And then on top of that, he likes when you call him down so you even gain approval with his stupid rear end when you call him that.

Nobody has ever actually done his crew missions so that's not what they're referring to.

Also, he introduces himself threatening to rape a woman, which rubs a lot of players the wrong way. He was making said threat to a shuttle that turned out to be empty, too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Empress Theonora posted:

What romances are actually good? The only ones I've actually seen are Quinn (sucked) and Lana (pretty good?)-- my other 50s are a JK and agent who both didn't romance anybody. I think I'm the one person in the world who's kind of okay with Corso? But I'm not very far on my smuggler yet.

I like the smuggler romance with Risha best. She's your boss for Act 1, so it doesn't feel like you're sexually harassing a minor (the bounty hunter puts too much pressure on Mako when she's trying to tell him not to mix work and romance), and she never feels like she's doing what you want because you want it.

Similarly, Kira can put a little pressure on the jedi knight, and she calls you a lame stiff if you don't pick one of the two [flirt] options in a key conversation with her. She's all "doesn't it feel great, having your body super-charged by Force power?", and you have to rain on her parade if you don't want to have your bones jumped.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ainsley McTree posted:

I like Gault, but it doesn't make sense that you recruit him, if you think about it. The entire story arc with him leading up to it is him constantly playing tricks on you to stop you from killing him, and then finally when you have him backed into a corner he's like "wait, if you promise not to kill me, I have a cunning plan in which it will work out for both of us and I SWEAR it's not a trick this time" and you have no choice but to say "sounds good!" like a naive dope.

I mean, I love the companion, but still, it seemed silly to me.

This is a bit like Tanno Vik for the trooper. You have orders to get him on your crew for a specific role, but he spends all of Balmorra running away and leaving you holding the short end of whatever scam he's pulling, so I can see why some people might not like that.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Female Inquisitor and Andronikos is alright. She's a Sith Lord, he's a pirate, gently caress the galaxy. They had to shoehorn in a marriage scene though which feels so off character for both of them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

prefect posted:

This is a bit like Tanno Vik for the trooper. You have orders to get him on your crew for a specific role, but he spends all of Balmorra running away and leaving you holding the short end of whatever scam he's pulling, so I can see why some people might not like that.

I finished his character conversations and I STILL wasn't sure whose side he was on. I suppose the Trooper crew needed a counter to Lassiter/Elara/Fourex, who are all about rigidly following rules and regulations.

I guess that (spoilering for those who maybe haven't experienced it...?)KotFE kind of confirmed that Vik is better suited to life as a mercenary. He felt really out of place on the Trooper's crew.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

prefect posted:

I like the smuggler romance with Risha best. She's your boss for Act 1, so it doesn't feel like you're sexually harassing a minor (the bounty hunter puts too much pressure on Mako when she's trying to tell him not to mix work and romance), and she never feels like she's doing what you want because you want it.

Similarly, Kira can put a little pressure on the jedi knight, and she calls you a lame stiff if you don't pick one of the two [flirt] options in a key conversation with her. She's all "doesn't it feel great, having your body super-charged by Force power?", and you have to rain on her parade if you don't want to have your bones jumped.

One thing Iiked about the JK romance, is that you can sort of back off after the first kiss and get weird about. So when Kira brought up the topic of us having "some fun", not only did my knight immediately suggest that we play a card or board game, she also got to call him out on avoiding the subject.

I dunno, just in general there are a lot of nice moments that let you add in some depth to your characters that don't affect alignment.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I think overall Risha was my favorite too. No wedding, and screw your courting gifts, give me a drat weapon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

I think overall Risha was my favorite too. No wedding, and screw your courting gifts, give me a drat weapon.

It amuses me that Lana hates courting gifts, too. Quit being lovey-dovey, gimme another carved relief of zildrog's fall.

Although there are some non-romanceable companions that like courting gifts. Forex is one of them.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Cythereal posted:

Although there are some non-romanceable companions that like courting gifts. Forex is one of them.

Don't get any ideas though, Forex's only true love is the Glorious Republic. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Delicacies (Formerly Artwork)

Like: Senya Tirall, Choza Rabbat, Hemdil Tre,
Favorite: Lana Beniko, Major Pierce, “Deadeye” Leyta, K’krohl,
Love: Koth Vortena, Akk Dog, Nexu

Pretty racist, making the black guy like a dog and a cat. :mad:

(Being sarcastic here.)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

As nice as this looked on my Chiss IA, I also slapped on the white/red dye pack from the security vendor. It worked out into white uniform with crisp red braid and looks very spiffy on her.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

peer posted:

I've seen a lot of Skadge hate in this thread and I have to ask: is it because the character is written as a psychotic, unlikeable piece of poo poo, OR is it that you think the character is badly written, or a little bit of both?

I mean, Skadge is a violent, irredeemable rear end in a top hat, but I still prefer him over Torian's teen space samurai bullshit or Corso's nice guy white knight.

I like Skadge and I used him as my fighting companion till FE came out (now it's the lovely Lana). There are other comps that are thrust on you in the same railroad manner and simply fulfill no function. I maxxed out Skadge's approval while getting Dark V so that worked out well for me. If you're trying to play some light or neutral BH then he's not going to be much good for you. The schoolkid overblown thuggery was a good laugh IMO.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ayrsayle posted:

I already know the chestpiece but what's the rest of this outfit? I can't figure out the leggings and those look perfect for a few ideas.
A bit late in the reply (timezones :argh:) but that outfit is using the following:
Chest: Outlander Scavenger's Breastplate
Wrists: Outlander Observer's Bracers
Gloves: Sanctified Caretaker Gloves
Belt: Valiant Jedi Belt
Pants: Headhunter's Leggings
Boots: Remnant Arkanian Smuggler's Boots

The legs are from the Rishi rep vendor and are bind to legacy. The boots are a lucky drop I got from turning in alliance crates and are also bound to legacy The rest of the stuff can be bought on the GTN.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ratzap posted:

I like Skadge and I used him as my fighting companion till FE came out (now it's the lovely Lana). There are other comps that are thrust on you in the same railroad manner and simply fulfill no function. I maxxed out Skadge's approval while getting Dark V so that worked out well for me. If you're trying to play some light or neutral BH then he's not going to be much good for you. The schoolkid overblown thuggery was a good laugh IMO.

GUYS I FOUND HIM!!! THE CREATOR OF SKADGE!!!

ayrsayle
Jan 5, 2013

Mercurius posted:

A bit late in the reply (timezones :argh:) but that outfit is using the following:
Chest: Outlander Scavenger's Breastplate
Wrists: Outlander Observer's Bracers
Gloves: Sanctified Caretaker Gloves
Belt: Valiant Jedi Belt
Pants: Headhunter's Leggings
Boots: Remnant Arkanian Smuggler's Boots

The legs are from the Rishi rep vendor and are bind to legacy. The boots are a lucky drop I got from turning in alliance crates and are also bound to legacy The rest of the stuff can be bought on the GTN.

Great, thanks!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Don't bash me too much if this is a biweekly topic, but is there something I would want to buy before beginning to play this game? First two expansions or subscription, I guess, but I can't make much of it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kalstrams posted:

Don't bash me too much if this is a biweekly topic, but is there something I would want to buy before beginning to play this game? First two expansions or subscription, I guess, but I can't make much of it.
There's a deal floating around that's 2 months sub (which includes all the expansions and will last until Feb so you'll get the tenth chapter of the new expansion as well), some cartel coins (in game cash shop currency) and a miniature Rancor pet for $20 - https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/star-wars-the-old-republic/pc-download/bundle/deluxe-pack. That'll be a good starting point since you can use the cartel coins to purchase some account wide quality of life upgrades like rocket boosts and reduced cooldown on the instant teleport stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Subscribe for a month, gets you all content currently released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alright, I'll check out the $20 deal over the holidays. Does subscribing once earn me everything permanently, or just for the duration of the sub?

• Locked thread