Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Network Pesci posted:

Very, the problem is just finding the ships. Fortunately there always seems to be a Shade or Afflictor (arguably the best frigate in vanilla right now) for sale on the black market anywhere you go. BRDY's Asura is a nice alternative to the already terrifying Doom. You really have to stack phase ships to see a noticeable difference in your sensor signature, but if every ship in your fleet is phase, you can ghost around the sector like a ninja.

The Asura got nerfed quite a bit, but it's still a really great ship. Super rare though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Where do you actually get officers from? Like what screen lets you hire them or see them?

Dock at a station or planet and select the contacts list like you're turning in a hauling quest. Any officers will be on that screen below the station crew like the Quartermaster, as mercenary officers IIRC.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Baronjutter posted:

Where do you actually get officers from? Like what screen lets you hire them or see them?

Dock, press 1 for the comm directory (contacts), scan the list for "mercenary officer"s, talk to them to bring up the hiring prompt, and you should probably make sure they don't have the 'coward' personality before you grab them. Also keep in mind that if you're running SS+, each one takes a daily paycheck that adds up very fast.

Also, is there a console command or way in general to look up what stations you have storage rights at and/or have left things at? I was playing very late at night the other day, and i remember buying a few destroyers and squirreling them away somewhere, but the where exactly has escaped me.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Baronjutter posted:

I'm trying to get back into this but I can't figure out the new rep system. Starting in corvus I thought I'd become a good Hegemony lap dog and after killing some pirates I got a commission. Then I started getting rep hits for not being hostile with everything they were hostile to, which was essentially "everyone but the hegemony". Is there a way to set my self hostile or do I need to travel the galaxy shooting people to make them not like me? The Diktat isn't even in corvus but the Hegemony is really mad I'm not hostile to them. I'm barely treading water keeping the hegemony welcoming and everyone else hates me for being friends with the hegemony. I'm making tiny money off pirate hunting commissions but don't want to venture out of Corvus because every other faction seems to hate me now.

Did I play the faction game wrong or is there still some hosed up faction rep balance? I only downloaded it last night so I should be on the latest version.

Also where do I buy more officers? I just have one crappy cautious dude who isn't much of a help in battle while the rest of my fleet has no one.

Yo, you gotta get out of Corvus. Factions, trades, and stores are spread out around the starmap, so sticking to your home planet doesn't really cut it anymore. Supply and fuel drain are pretty minimal at the beginning, so head out into the warp and make some money. That said, it is a real uphill struggle when things start going south, so you might want to reroll if the situation really is that dire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ceebees posted:

Also keep in mind that if you're running SS+, each one takes a daily paycheck that adds up very fast.

poo poo like this is why I really wish I could just get the SS+ ships without the rest of the mess.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Patchnotes for next version claim that pretty much the entire mod's feature set will be customizable and a la carte, so... wish granted?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So.. has SS+ been updated in the last few days? I gave it a shot, a long with most of the factions, 2 weeks-ish ago and got immediately roflstomped by any and all size groups, even one with only a shuttle. shithead just kept hugging my rear end putting rounds into me. couldnt turn fast enough to counter or hit it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

grimcreaper posted:

So.. has SS+ been updated in the last few days? I gave it a shot, a long with most of the factions, 2 weeks-ish ago and got immediately roflstomped by any and all size groups, even one with only a shuttle. shithead just kept hugging my rear end putting rounds into me. couldnt turn fast enough to counter or hit it.

That's what versionchecker is for. It tells you once you start a game what mods, if any, need updates.

What exactly is wrecking your stuff? SSP and Nexerilin both go a ways towards making sure there are small 1-4 frigate fleets tooting about all the time, so you shouldn't be hurting for targets even as a single frigate just starting out. Maybe Nexerilin's accelerated start that dumps enough XP on you to get you to level 15 might be a good way to go? If nothing else, play around in the refit simulator in the missions just so you can experiment with any ship and any weapon you've got questions about so you can get a better handle on their specific mechanics?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Tanith posted:

That's what versionchecker is for. It tells you once you start a game what mods, if any, need updates.

What exactly is wrecking your stuff? SSP and Nexerilin both go a ways towards making sure there are small 1-4 frigate fleets tooting about all the time, so you shouldn't be hurting for targets even as a single frigate just starting out. Maybe Nexerilin's accelerated start that dumps enough XP on you to get you to level 15 might be a good way to go? If nothing else, play around in the refit simulator in the missions just so you can experiment with any ship and any weapon you've got questions about so you can get a better handle on their specific mechanics?
I tried to get Version Checker working, i must have done something wrong with it becuase it just said *null* so i removed it.

I remember reading some posts about ships being faster/better turning now (i think, i could be mixing up games). I tried 4 or 5 different factions starter ships and all of them just get their poo poo pushed in even by 1 frigate. The AI ships were able to just fly circles around me, usually being faster than my turrets could move or ship can turn, and then they would sit inside my rear end and pummel me. Every fight i got into it was the same.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Baronjutter posted:

Conversation option 1 when you visit a station or planet. It shows a list of "people" at the station. Anyone labelled as mercenary officer can be recruited - talk to them and it should be obvious from there.

EDIT: So late to the party jeez.

Also, when starting out with SS+ - if you pick the wolf in character creation the whole game because incredibly difficult. Pick the tiger, 3 ir lasers + 1 set of missiles, season with safety overrides and enjoy your enemies well cooked (don't forget to pop the high energy focus when getting up in their face). Just watch for missiles and don't get overloaded. Use enemies as cover. If you take advantage of the initial bounties in jangala, you should have around ~50k before they expire. Enough to buy and fit an autopulse sunder, or similar destroyer, from the black market. I also sell my elite crew for extra cash (don't forget to replace them with fresh recruits).

Jinx fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 22, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So in my erratic travels thru the galaxy looking for poo poo to buy I found a black market that sells both an Apogee and an Aurora. Now, I don't really have a lot of stuff to set them up properly (and compare them in the simulator) so, if I were to choose one which one is the most popular?

Also, I read the developer's post about logistics and I am still not sure about how to calculate them. Seems to me like going around with both of those cruisers plus the rest of my fleet (3 medusas, 3 enforcers, gemini, sunder, condor, some daggers, 3 frigates, plus the support stuff) is going to be hell from the logistics stand-point but just how bad can it get anyways?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'd go for an Aurora over an Apogee, but I haven't flown an Apogee in forever. They're pretty rare. Why not buy both and just put one in storage?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bold Robot posted:

I'd go for an Aurora over an Apogee, but I haven't flown an Apogee in forever. They're pretty rare. Why not buy both and just put one in storage?

Well, I'll pretty much spend all my money but yeah, I could buy both.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to revoke a commission? Taking one basically ruined my game.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

Well, I'll pretty much spend all my money but yeah, I could buy both.

Never not buy neat ships.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ceebees posted:

Patchnotes for next version claim that pretty much the entire mod's feature set will be customizable and a la carte, so... wish granted?

So far nothing looks like that in the config files but I'm keeping my eye out.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

grimcreaper posted:

I tried to get Version Checker working, i must have done something wrong with it becuase it just said *null* so i removed it.

I remember reading some posts about ships being faster/better turning now (i think, i could be mixing up games). I tried 4 or 5 different factions starter ships and all of them just get their poo poo pushed in even by 1 frigate. The AI ships were able to just fly circles around me, usually being faster than my turrets could move or ship can turn, and then they would sit inside my rear end and pummel me. Every fight i got into it was the same.

Reinstall Versionchecker because now it's a standalone that doesn't require editing text files. Then make sure all the mods you're using are updated. Some of them have hotfixes near the end of the thread (like BRDY fixing the Strike Suite weapons flux modifier).

As I said before: what EXACTLY is wrecking your stuff? What ships/loadouts are you trying to use? Are you playing easy (half damage, more salvage) or normal?

If you're seriously getting your teeth kicked in by a Mercury, have you considered hitting U and then taking your hands off the keyboard and mouse? If your turrets are getting out-turned, have you considered adding the 2-ordinance point "Advanced Turret Gyros" hull mod? Have you made sure your weapon groups are arranged the way you want them to be and auto-firing if they should be? Do you know that ctrl-[weapon group #] toggles autofire? Again: have you tried the Nexerilin accelerated start where you have enough skill and aptitude points to get bonuses like "+50% maneuverability to piloted ship" or "+25% ballistic and energy weapon range"?

You have not given me much to work with here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Also, a lot of weapons are just slow in turrets. Use machine guns, light assault guns and the like if you have trouble hitting frigates. Swarmer missiles are also good early on instead of heavier ones.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh god I just fought the deserter fleet from hell. BRDY deserters with a Kurmaraja flagship (Piloting 10 admiral), plus a goddamn Morpheus and Imaginos in the fleet. Not to mention Nevermore and Knight cruisers, plus a bunch of destroyers.

I beat them but lost my Desdinova flagship and a couple other destroyers in the process. I consoled myself the Morpheus afterwards because goddamn it, I deserve it after that BS.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Doctor Schnabel posted:

how do you start wars on behalf of your faction in that mod, anyway?

echoing this. In my first nexelin game, I started out at war with 3 factions but in the second I started at peace. I decided to invade some pirate worlds and went around capturing most of them. Between that and doing bounties (and apparently my factions crack diplomatic staff, i'm now at cooperative relations with 4 factions, and friendly with the last two.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CalvinandHobbes posted:

echoing this. In my first nexelin game, I started out at war with 3 factions but in the second I started at peace. I decided to invade some pirate worlds and went around capturing most of them. Between that and doing bounties (and apparently my factions crack diplomatic staff, i'm now at cooperative relations with 4 factions, and friendly with the last two.

I'm pretty sure you just attack your targeted faction, or send agents and saboteurs against them.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Blackrock 0.8.1 is out

E: SS+ and all of DR's mods also updated (II, templars)

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7679.msg177571#msg177571

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 23, 2015

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

I am curious about this:

quote:

- Scalaron Blaster: Damage lowered to 900, flux/shot increased to 1000, base ammo decreased to 15
The Scalaron Blaster is an efficient and strong weapon, but it fires VERY slowly, has terrible tracking and the projectile is really slow. Did it really need a nerf?

If you were going to nerf anything, it should probably be shard cannons. The dual shard is above average, but the small versions are probably too effective all round in ballistic slots.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I was just thinking of doing something with this holiday that wasn't spaceships, thank goodness :toot:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SS+ and Imperium just updated with less early game player hate. And Templars, who burn slower, don't crusade as often and actually go back to normal fleet quantities when the crusade is over.

SS+ also has a new accelerated start option, giving you a cruiser, a destroyer, 2 frigates and 40 grand to start with. Standard start gives a destroyer, 2 frigates and 10 Gs. All starting fleets have selectable tech levels. Have fun starting with a Medusa or even an Apogee if you want.

Taking on cruisers in a shrimp with 4 shard cannons, 3 hammers and some PD is fun. No skills, just wreckage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 23, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, one question: what determines how many ships can you field in a fight? Currently my fleet can have between 90-100 points worth of ships and it seems pretty random how much can I field. Sometimes I get different values against the same enemy so :idk:

I am currently doing 160k+ bounties and enemies are starting to show some really scary stuff. This dude had a paragon but couldn't field it because some pirates joined the fun, ahahaha. So, after the main fight (Jesus! I hate those rear end in a top hat cloaking frigates) I got to have a nice 5-on-1 against the big boss and it still managed to damage one of my ships. Granted, it was a sunder, but still...

(Say hello to 300 supplies repair bill)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

Ok, one question: what determines how many ships can you field in a fight? Currently my fleet can have between 90-100 points worth of ships and it seems pretty random how much can I field. Sometimes I get different values against the same enemy so :idk:

I am currently doing 160k+ bounties and enemies are starting to show some really scary stuff. This dude had a paragon but couldn't field it because some pirates joined the fun, ahahaha. So, after the main fight (Jesus! I hate those rear end in a top hat cloaking frigates) I got to have a nice 5-on-1 against the big boss and it still managed to damage one of my ships. Granted, it was a sunder, but still...

(Say hello to 300 supplies repair bill)

It's based how much bigger one side is than the other. If you're way outnumbered you don't get to deploy your all your poo poo and just get dogpiled.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dis astranagant posted:

It's based how much bigger one side is than the other. If you're way outnumbered you don't get to deploy your all your poo poo and just get dogpiled.

Wow, that's very player-unfriendly. I guess I have to grow my fleet.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Jinx posted:

I am curious about this:

The Scalaron Blaster is an efficient and strong weapon, but it fires VERY slowly, has terrible tracking and the projectile is really slow. Did it really need a nerf?

If you were going to nerf anything, it should probably be shard cannons. The dual shard is above average, but the small versions are probably too effective all round in ballistic slots.

I also thought the Scalaron Blaster was an effective weapon and very well balanced. :(

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Jinx posted:

Yes.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Can you explain your reasoning? I never used them because trying to hit stuff with them was a nightmare so its no great loss to me, but I suspect other people might want to understand why you did something further than just "yes".

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I was googling around for starsector phase fighters, and I came across this cat's stuff. Is, uh, is he doing this for a published mod, or is that some homebrew thing that's never seen the light of day?

While I'm on this subject, there is a mod that adds a phase fighter, right? I remember coming across one somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember wtf it was called or which mod it was attached to.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 23, 2015

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

While I'm on this subject, there is a mod that adds a phase fighter, right? I remember coming across one somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember wtf it was called or which mod it was attached to.
Blackrock has one, as do a few other mods. The Serket, I think? Can't remember.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've finally re-learned the game enough to get back to my bounty hunting and fleet growing ways. But boy oh boy is it hard to find ships and equipment now. It's also really hard to get your rep up. Many hours in and doing nothing but bounty hunting I'm still between -5 and 10 with all factions. Everyone hates each other and the commission system is broken. If I trade with anyone it pisses everyone else off. Previously as long as you were not actively hostile to a faction you could slowly build rep with all factions by doing their bounties and hunting pirates in their system. Now it seems that system just barely treads water.

So how the heck do you "grind rep" enough to actually buy ships? All black market? So many ships require a commission with the faction, but the moment you take one everyone they're at war with hates you, and your chosen faction ends up hating you for not killing enough of their enemies. Am I missing something or is the system not quite balanced yet?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
SS+ has a phase fighter I think.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So I've finally re-learned the game enough to get back to my bounty hunting and fleet growing ways. But boy oh boy is it hard to find ships and equipment now. It's also really hard to get your rep up. Many hours in and doing nothing but bounty hunting I'm still between -5 and 10 with all factions. Everyone hates each other and the commission system is broken. If I trade with anyone it pisses everyone else off. Previously as long as you were not actively hostile to a faction you could slowly build rep with all factions by doing their bounties and hunting pirates in their system. Now it seems that system just barely treads water.

So how the heck do you "grind rep" enough to actually buy ships? All black market? So many ships require a commission with the faction, but the moment you take one everyone they're at war with hates you, and your chosen faction ends up hating you for not killing enough of their enemies. Am I missing something or is the system not quite balanced yet?

I've never had a problem getting rep through regular bounty-hunting. I guess try and focus on doing stuff for just one faction. Trading will only annoy other factions if they're in the same system (i.e. if you trade with the Tri-Tachyon in the Valhalla system then the Hegemony will notice and you'll lose rep because they also have a presence in the system.

Also, you only have to be hostile with all factions at war with yours, you don't have to kill a quota of enemies. What's probably tripping you up here is that you don't automatically become hostile to factions that you're newly at war with, so just go on a quick raiding mission once war sets off and you're good. It's an annoying little thing, but it's not a huge deal.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pavlov posted:

SS+ has a phase fighter I think.
I went through ship_data.csv and boy does it ever. The Lightning, comes with a phase cloak, 175 top speed, and an antimatter blaster. 2 per wing, but yikes...

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Carcer posted:

Can you explain your reasoning? I never used them because trying to hit stuff with them was a nightmare so its no great loss to me, but I suspect other people might want to understand why you did something further than just "yes".

They hit way too hard for the flux they generate, when set on autofire the ai wont miss even against speedy frigates and they have so much emp that a single hull hit can shut down half an onslaught. They may not look as good just of stats but in practice 3 of them 1 shot frigates, overload destroyers and cruisers and cripple cap ships . So unless you have a ship with a ton of op, few slots and very high flux stats(like templars or aurora) or need PD, you can just put them in every posible slot and have an extremely good ship for the player or the ai.

I think they were designed as hit and run weapons but almost nobody can actually punish their low fire rate after getting hit by them as long as you have some backup weapons or missiles.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So when ever I play this game I always end up with the ship that's shaped like a ball (medusa maybe?) decked out for speed and with some mid-range super high damage energy weapon. Maybe anti-matter blaster? Or a medium version of that? Does the weapon I'm thinking of still exist or was it nerfed or just really hard to find? It was energy but fired bolts at a low rate of fire and I could only get a dozen or so shots off before flux became an issue. Extremely deadly against armour/hull. I loved playing with it, still trying to get back into that zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So when ever I play this game I always end up with the ship that's shaped like a ball (medusa maybe?) decked out for speed and with some mid-range super high damage energy weapon. Maybe anti-matter blaster? Or a medium version of that? Does the weapon I'm thinking of still exist or was it nerfed or just really hard to find? It was energy but fired bolts at a low rate of fire and I could only get a dozen or so shots off before flux became an issue. Extremely deadly against armour/hull. I loved playing with it, still trying to get back into that zone.

Probably a medusa equiped with heavy blasters, they hit very hard, shoot once per second and are very flux inefficient.