Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordNat
May 16, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

Maybe there'd be less complaints about the relic if there was actually something to do in this expansion

That is always the problem with Theme Park MMOs. Once you have rode all the rides there is nothing left to do. FF14 is in that awful middle state that kills MMORPGs where it is out of the first huge load of fresh content but does not have the massive back log of old content for people to screw around with.
I call it the "Social Platform" stage. The only thing left to do is log on, do dailies, and bullshit with the FC.
At least games like WoW have a massive amount of old content you can screw around in. In those older games you can create your own content just by getting a group of people together and doing something dumb. FF14 has not really reached the stage where that is a option for most people outside of stuff like Book Club and unsynced speed runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LordNat posted:

FF14 has not really reached the stage where that is a option for most people outside of stuff like Book Club and unsynced speed runs.

There are a ton of newer people in the FCs that have never seen coil.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

hobbesmaster posted:

Hi.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

2.1 was more than just that tho.

- 2 beast tribes
- 3 new dungeons
- 3 extreme primals
- first minstrel's ballad encounter
- 1 new primal
- pvp
- treasure hunt
- housing
- aesthetician
- duty roulette
- party finder
- almost a hundred different QoL changes which we now take for granted, such as DoTs being clippable. Remember 2.0 where you had to wait for a DoT to fall off? I sure do

the sheer amount of stuff they put in 2.1 is just incredible compared to the wet fart that is 3.1

LordNat
May 16, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Ya but you can burn out Coil in a few hours at most and are back to nothing to do.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

Just hit 50 on my warrior: http://www.ffxivpro.com/player/Excalibur/Hypatia-Eo :woop: Now I'm training PAL to 34 for all cross-class stuff.

What comes after that?

Keep working on the story quests, mostly. Make sure to keep doing roulettes if you enjoy them; I recommend picking up an alt and getting it to 16 real quick so you can start doing LLDR on it. Also, go and unlock all the optional 50 dungeons; they're not necessary for anything but they're generally pretty fun.

LordNat posted:

Ya but you can burn out Coil in a few hours at most and are back to nothing to do.

Synced coil is fun and will last you a good while longer than that.

vOv fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2015

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

vOv posted:

I recommend picking up an apt and getting it to 15 real quick so you can start doing LLDR on it.

I don't know what this means. :shobon:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I don't know what this means. :shobon:

I think they meant picking an alt (not apt) and getting it to 15 (16, actually) so you can do the Leveling Roulette on it each day for an easy time-efficient pile of experience.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm not sure if I should feel bad about this or not, but I just got Thousand Maws on my paladin and we wiped on the final boss. Rather than do that godawful run back through the slime puddles, I just abandoned the group and ate the 30 minute debuff. If they'd just move the loving final boss teleport closer it wouldn't be so much of a pain.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the one hand, it's annoying; on the other hand, long and slow as that slime puddle run is, it's shorter than 30 minutes.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Vil posted:

I think they meant picking an alt (not apt) and getting it to 15 (16, actually) so you can do the Leveling Roulette on it each day for an easy time-efficient pile of experience.

Er, yeah, that's what I meant. Pick another class/job and start working that up to 50. It'll go faster because of the 100% mob XP armory bonus.

Also, you can probably take a break from GLA at 22 (Provoke) if you want; Awareness is nice for hard content but it's certainly not essential.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vil posted:

On the one hand, it's annoying; on the other hand, long and slow as that slime puddle run is, it's shorter than 30 minutes.

Thats valuable fate/hunt grinding time!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ilifinicus posted:

2.1 was more than just that tho.

- 2 beast tribes
- 3 new dungeons
- 3 extreme primals
- first minstrel's ballad encounter
- 1 new primal
- pvp
- treasure hunt
- housing
- aesthetician
- duty roulette
- party finder
- almost a hundred different QoL changes which we now take for granted, such as DoTs being clippable. Remember 2.0 where you had to wait for a DoT to fall off? I sure do

the sheer amount of stuff they put in 2.1 is just incredible compared to the wet fart that is 3.1

- 2 beast tribes -we got 1, slightly less content, granted.
- 3 new dungeons -we got 2, lightly less content, granted.
- 3 extreme primals -no comparison
- first minstrel's ballad encounter -popedad
- 1 new primal -no comparison
- pvp -we got lords of verminion
- treasure hunt -i barely count this as content, it's not something people spent tons of time on
- housing -only content for a very small minority, though there was rooms you could get through FC housing, so that's something
- aesthetician -not really "gameplay content"
- duty roulette -not really "gameplay content"
- party finder -not really "gameplay content"
- almost a hundred different QoL changes which we now take for granted, such as DoTs being clippable. Remember 2.0 where you had to wait for a DoT to fall off? I sure do -not really "gameplay content"

Like I've said, we got slightly less gameplay content in 3.1 than 2.1, but it's not like it was SUPER MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANTLY less. I remember these same "There's nothing to do" complaints back in 2.1. Again, I'm not trying to make excuses for the state of the game, because I agree, I wish there was more to do in the game. I'm just playing devil's advocate to hopefully add some perspective.

Personally, I think the dev team needs to add way more people and probably double in size.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

Vil posted:

vOv posted:

Er, yeah, that's what I meant. Pick another class/job and start working that up to 50. It'll go faster because of the 100% mob XP armory bonus.

Also, you can probably take a break from GLA at 22 (Provoke) if you want; Awareness is nice for hard content but it's certainly not essential.

Sweet, thanks.

Also: Do attribute points transfer across classes? I.e if I start leveling a conjurer will it have a bunch of VIT from my warrior already?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

- 2 beast tribes -we got 1, slightly less content, granted.
- 3 new dungeons -we got 2, lightly less content, granted.
- 3 extreme primals -no comparison
- first minstrel's ballad encounter -popedad
- 1 new primal -no comparison
- pvp -we got lords of verminion
- treasure hunt -i barely count this as content, it's not something people spent tons of time on
- housing -only content for a very small minority, though there was rooms you could get through FC housing, so that's something
- aesthetician -not really "gameplay content"
- duty roulette -not really "gameplay content"
- party finder -not really "gameplay content"
- almost a hundred different QoL changes which we now take for granted, such as DoTs being clippable. Remember 2.0 where you had to wait for a DoT to fall off? I sure do -not really "gameplay content"

Like I've said, we got slightly less gameplay content in 3.1 than 2.1, but it's not like it was SUPER MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANTLY less. I remember these same "There's nothing to do" complaints back in 2.1. Again, I'm not trying to make excuses for the state of the game, because I agree, I wish there was more to do in the game. I'm just playing devil's advocate to hopefully add some perspective.

Personally, I think the dev team needs to add way more people and probably double in size.
that's my point tho, they fixed so many things that were bothering people in 2.1 that 3.1 feels so tiny by comparison. We had a lot more things to be happy about when the game was full of little snags that bothered you. For instance, if they'd fixed a hundred things like not being able to queue with your chocobo out in 3.1, the reaction from the public would be that much better. Problem is, there's not that many small things left for them to tweak at and the things that need fixing now are just drowning in technical debt it seems like

*jedi mind trick* DIADEM, LORD OF VERMINION

it worked for about 4 days

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Also: Do attribute points transfer across classes? I.e if I start leveling a conjurer will it have a bunch of VIT from my warrior already?
No, bonus attribute points aren't shared between classes.

PS. Take those MRD bonus points out of VIT and put them into STR.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

ActionZero posted:

No, bonus attribute points aren't shared between classes.

PS. Take those MRD bonus points out of VIT and put them into STR.

Why? All the recommendations I've gotten so far have been to go pure VIT and rely on STR jewelry to compensate. What's the advantage of putting them into STR?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why? All the recommendations I've gotten so far have been to go pure VIT and rely on STR jewelry to compensate. What's the advantage of putting them into STR?
I dunno where you received those recommendations, but uh... let's try to avoid a real :can: here.

VIT increases your max HP and does nothing else. It doesn't make your defense better or cause heals to work better against you.

STR increases your damage, which also increases your threat. By making it easier to hold threat while also ending encounters slightly faster, you are making things easier on healers.

The only reason to get VIT is when you are actually full-on dying to big hits; even in that case there will often be many other things you can do to lessen the impact, but it can definitely be comforting to give yourself an HP cushion in some cases.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Also the 30-35 points of vit from attribute points end up being a really pathetically small amount of extra HP.

PuppiesAndKitties
Jun 5, 2008
I LOVE KYASHI'S MONEY
Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

I dunno where you received those recommendations, but uh... let's try to avoid a real :can: here.

VIT increases your max HP and does nothing else. It doesn't make your defense better or cause heals to work better against you.

STR increases your damage, which also increases your threat. By making it easier to hold threat while also ending encounters slightly faster, you are making things easier on healers.

The only reason to get VIT is when you are actually full-on dying to big hits; even in that case there will often be many other things you can do to lessen the impact, but it can definitely be comforting to give yourself an HP cushion in some cases.

As a new tank I'd like as much of a cushion as I can get; if I wipe the whole party isn't far behind.

Is it possible to split STR/VIT att points and tweak them as I get more experience?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mordiceius posted:

I'm just playing devils advocate here (as I too feel like there is a dearth of content), but I'm curious what magical content you feel there was in the 2.x series that there isn't here.

Comparing 2.1 to 3.1

Somewhat comparable:
2.1 had bland story quests. 3.1 had the same.
2.1 had Good King Moggle Mog. 3.1 has Popedad.
2.1 had Hildibrand. 3.1 has the Scholerate.
2.1 had 3 new dungeons. 3.1 has 2.
2.1 had CT part 1. 3.1 has Void Ark.
2.1 had Sylph and Amalj'aa beast quests. 3.1 has Vanu Vanu.

Differences:
2.1 had extreme primals.
2.1 had Ultima EX. (I guess that's more comparable to Popedad than Mog)
2.1 had Wolves Den
3.1 had Lords of Verminion.
3.1 had Diadem

Honestly, it doesn't feel like there is too much difference. 2.1 had more a handful primal fights and one more dungeon. I'll take Lords of Verminion over Wolves Den. 3.1 has less content than 2.1, but it doesn't feel like it is massively less content.

I only started playing after Heavensward launch and at this point I'm just bored of the game in general. I've seen all there is to see already and now all that's left is doing the same stuff over and over again. Right now on my 60 jobs I can run exdr for esos (poo poo), do popedad (great), void ark (good when new but boring now), repetitive beast tribe quests where every cutscene is just meet birds => power dance, or alex savage which requires a static with set raiding times and gently caress that.

I think capping tomestones is one of my biggest issues. It's the only way to get the best gear without doing savage content but the best way to cap is by doing the same two dungeons for a whole patch cycle. Sure there are other ways to cap but they're either ridiculously slow and give 10 or less esos a pop or ridiculously boring (diadem wooo).

Basically, I've seen everything there is to see and then the relic comes out and it just involves doing all that crap I was already sick of.

Also that Scholasticate quest chain was just loving awful and if that's the successor to Hildibrand then ughhhhhhhhhhh

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

My opinion is that having some VIT is better if the healer is DPSing since they'll be able to focus on damage more without the tank dying but 90% of healers don't ever DPS so go full STR and overpower your way through everything~

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Out of curiosity - what would you guys like to see other than a generic answer of "more content"?

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

In addition to what Martman said rightside gear also gives a bit more VIT than STR. For example the i210 vit earrings gives 49 VIT vs the str earrings and its 47 STR. If you put your class stats into STR and make up for the VIT with a rightside you'll get more than putting stats into VIT and equiping STR rightside. It isn't much at 60 but every little bit helps!

It's also super cheap to respec, just buy a Keeper's Hymm at your local GC quartermaster for a pittance of seals.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Out of curiosity - what would you guys like to see other than a generic answer of "more content"?

The continuation of Hildibrand

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I never like this question because I'm not a game developer :v:

I would love gold saucer minigames that are accessible and fun. RIght now all we have is triple triad, chocobo racing, and verminion. TT is awesome and fun and it only gets horrible once you're at the point where all the cards you need are from those stupid loving tournament packs. Chocobo racing feels way too unresponsive to be fun and verminion is pretty much impossible to control with a controller so I haven't really bothered.

Alternatively they should add in a competitive way to get esos that doesn't involve running two loving dungeons for 3-4 months because that probably contributes heavily to burnout for a lot of people

Leal posted:

The continuation of Hildibrand

:(

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
FFXIV is a good game and HW is a good expansion. I'm sorry if you're disappointed in the game because there's not enough content to keep you busy for 16 hours a day for several months.

Also, Scholasticate is good and I look forward to seeing the rest of that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

As a new tank I'd like as much of a cushion as I can get; if I wipe the whole party isn't far behind.

Is it possible to split STR/VIT att points and tweak them as I get more experience?

You don't need a cushion for leveling dungeons. Nothing hits hard enough for a few points of vit to matter, and the vit won't save you from anything that does. On the other hand, strength is a form of damage mitigation, in the sense that if things are dying faster, they're doing less damage to you.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mordiceius posted:

I want platforming dungeons! Make the stretches between mobs and bosses interesting with that.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I want platforming dungeons! Make the stretches between mobs and bosses interesting with that.

I hope you rot in hell.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

*flashback to SWTOR datacrons, starts screaming incoherently*

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

* PvP - I'd like to see an expansion of PvP. Perhaps some PvP that is a PvP/PvE blend like classic Alterac Valley (except not 90 minutes long). Or some open world PvP/PvE blend. It could be a new Diadem area where resources are limited and PvP is enable. It would take some careful balance but something with high risk/high reward could be really fun.

Imagine a smaller diadem area where only 100 fish could be gathered, 100 minerals mined, 100 plants gathered, 100 enemies killed before they go extinct. 6 groups get dropped in. PvP is enabled. You have instances where only solo or small group queing is allowed and instances where only full group queuing is allowed.

I'd like a PvP map that uses a ticket system like Battlefield. Each team has 100 tickets, use them up, and you're eliminated, cap objectives, get more tickets.

* Training Hall - I want to see the training hall put into place, with reasons for veterans to use it. It could be a place that has quests to teach newbies mechanics. In the way that Guild Hests were meant to, but in a more effective way.

For veterans, it could issue daily quests that required you to run dungeons with special requirements/limitations/challenges. "Defeat this dungeon without a single death." "Defeat this boss without a single player being petrified." "Defeat this boss after having X number of adds spawn." "Kill this boss while everyone has Y debuff."

Have this as a bonus source of currency, or a special currency with a special reward.

* Platforming!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't necessarily want platforming dungeons, but I loved the GW2 platforming challenges out in the world. I'd love to see those. They were often mildly infuriating but they were great challenges. I remember one in a PvP area took me probably 30 minutes to complete and it was and intense puzzle to platform and figure out.

* Mercenaries and Retainers - I want to get the mercenary system put into place already, and I'd like to see it in the vein of GW2 hero system.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

More enjoyable content with actual replay value would be nice. The version of Diadem I was imagining, with randomized islands and a variety of weird goals for weird rewards, was great! But it just turned out to be hunts in an instance, which is basically the most boring way to implement that sort of thing.

Please do not put platforming in an MMO.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
RIP elysium, man there's so much stuff to do in this game that world first raiders are quitting. Maybe they're just playing the game wrong.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I think the loss of the third dungeon in the expert roulette actually hurts a lot more than it initially appeared. Just having two dungeons in there burns you out of those really fast if you're trying to cap stones. My entire raid group burned out on esoterics very quickly in the last set, and it was a huge pain to get some people to run them when they needed to get head upgrades.

I'd rather they stop focusing resources on the gold saucer minigames and put them into other 4/8 man content. Stuff like verminion has a lot of heart put into it, but like triple triad, died out pretty fast and likely isn't going to make a come back unless they tie it to the next relic step for some ungodly reason. The alternate content they're doing is neat, but it doesn't keep people around or subscribed. I doubt there's many people who'd say they were going to unsub but they stuck around for verminion.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

* Platforming!

We already have this. It's called the Sightseeing Log. :suicide:

Seriously though, I wouldn't necessarily mind platforming if it was handled properly. All we have right now are the Cliffhanger GATEs. Those are a fun distraction.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 22, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, that's "NES Top Gun Simulator", what with how you have to loving land in precisely the right spot to be able to dismount for the drat things.

:suicide:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, that's "NES Top Gun Simulator", what with how you have to loving land in precisely the right spot to be able to dismount for the drat things.

:suicide:

The Ixali Logging Grounds one was the goddamned worst. Tried that jump for over an hour straight and couldn't get it.

Then someone suggested capping my FPS at 30 and I got it on the second try after that. How the gently caress?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Belzac posted:

RIP elysium, man there's so much stuff to do in this game that world first raiders are quitting. Maybe they're just playing the game wrong.

When you pace your raid content releases as slow as wow but with a third of the bosses I'm not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DizzyBum posted:

The Ixali Logging Grounds one was the goddamned worst. Tried that jump for over an hour straight and couldn't get it.

Then someone suggested capping my FPS at 30 and I got it on the second try after that. How the gently caress?

Something something hitbox detection, something.

• Locked thread