Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Famethrowa posted:

So gonna preface this by saying if you are a dick, or grossed about by birth defects don't click the link. I don't give a poo poo what you think.

I'm looking to upgrade my keyboard to mechanical, but based on my current WASD method I don't know if it will be too good of an idea.

To play I essentially do (it's a picture of a stump, full warning if you are squeamish) this with my left stump. I can move forwards, backwards, side to side by basically rocking back and forth, I don't put a huge amount of pressure on it. Would a mechanical keyboard be too "clicky" for me?

I was also considering a keypad, but the elevation I see probably wouldn't work.

use foot pedals to strafe left and right and set up a voice activation to say 'into the breech, men' to activate +forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Famethrowa posted:

So gonna preface this by saying if you are a dick, or grossed about by birth defects don't click the link. I don't give a poo poo what you think.

I'm looking to upgrade my keyboard to mechanical, but based on my current WASD method I don't know if it will be too good of an idea.

To play I essentially do (it's a picture of a stump, full warning if you are squeamish) this with my left stump. I can move forwards, backwards, side to side by basically rocking back and forth, I don't put a huge amount of pressure on it. Would a mechanical keyboard be too "clicky" for me?

I was also considering a keypad, but the elevation I see probably wouldn't work.

Serious answer: Mechanicals are available with many variety of keys. They vary in terms of activation force. There are also 'clicky' and 'non-clicky' varieties. The most popular style is the Cherry MX range. My keyboard uses Cherry MX Black keys - which don't click and require a medium force (a bit more than a standard keyboard). I don't know what it's like to type with a stump, but a keyboard Cherry Black keys would probably be a good option, maybe go for Red keys which need an even lighter force.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

What is it about this game that makes people think playing bad on purpose is fun? I loving hate the people that play this game.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Blacks are kind of heavy, I'd use reds myself. I have browns currently but that's really just reds + some tactile thing that you don't really need. Maybe get blues if you want to hear the clicking sound

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

I have no idea if you'd like it but i enjoy the corsair strafe and k70 both with reds

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Blues for life

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I like blues but reds are lower activation and that's probably what my dude needs

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Blacks are kind of heavy, I'd use reds myself. I have browns currently but that's really just reds + some tactile thing that you don't really need. Maybe get blues if you want to hear the clicking sound

No you see what you need is some Super Blacks which are like 3 times stiffer than reds because gently caress your appendages.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

I used to have blacks, I never really understood what the higher resistance was for, just like I don't understand why people put weights in mice

Although I do have an idea for a workout where you attack a 35 lb plate to a mouse and deathmatch with it, sick gains brohh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fateo McMurray posted:

What is it about this game that makes people think playing bad on purpose is fun? I loving hate the people that play this game.

Well, to be fair, I suck horribly but am actually trying to get better :haw:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

P90. gently caress that lovely noob crutch and everyone who uses it.
Someone's mad. :kiddo:

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I used to have blacks, I never really understood what the higher resistance was for, just like I don't understand why people put weights in mice
I like to be able to rest my palm on my keys. Even with blacks I make accidental keypresses this way. Other than that I'm very pleased with my blacks, and would likely be horrified to use anything with lower resistance.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Carol Pizzamom posted:

use foot pedals to strafe left and right and set up a voice activation to say 'into the breech, men' to activate +forward

yeah, I think footpedals are in my future, but I want to upgrade my keyboard and that comes first. any stores carry demonstration models? I think red would be perfect.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, to be fair, I suck horribly but am actually trying to get better :haw:

Well there's that which I don't mind, then there's the "i'm just gonna scout and p250 lol i'm 9-28" fuckers

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I never saw a huge range of switches on display but the best buy near me had a few Razer, Corsair, and lovely Logitech keyboards out.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

kalstrams posted:

I like to be able to rest my palm on my keys. Even with blacks I make accidental keypresses this way. Other than that I'm very pleased with my blacks, and would likely be horrified to use anything with lower resistance.

Get greens then?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Look up handimans setup.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

yeah, I think footpedals are in my future, but I want to upgrade my keyboard and that comes first. any stores carry demonstration models? I think red would be perfect.

Ill send ya one with a half busted spacebar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Get greens then?
I'm not that dissatisfied with blacks, "rested keypresses" are minor occurrence that took a minor adjustment to eliminate almost permanently. Other than those I'm absolutely in awe of my keyboard, since it hits the sweet spot on all really important matters to me. As to Greens in particular, I dislike clicky and/or tactile switches, and they are the combination of the two. I'm not aware of linear mechanical switch stiffer that Cherry MX Black, one that would be in production that is. Again though, I don't think I'm in for a new keyboard before this one dies, and it should last for quite a while unless I commit a PC gaming war crime to it.

To make an actual CS:GO post, what's the require frequency of MM games to maintain the rank?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kalstrams posted:

The only people who use p90 are annoying shithead trolls who are unskilled in the fine art of counter-strike.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Ok everyone please post your rank, mouse sens, resolution, 360° inches, and Cherry MX key type

MX Reds, 2.2 @800dpi, 1440p 60hz, 13" 360, Distinguished Catshit Master

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

kalstrams posted:

To make an actual CS:GO post, what's the require frequency of MM games to maintain the rank?

Something like 30 days, but afaik you don't lose your rank as much as it just hides your displayed one, I've always gotten my old rank back when winning my first match anyway

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Something like 30 days, but afaik you don't lose your rank as much as it just hides your displayed one, I've always gotten my old rank back when winning my first match anyway

Kinda, yes. CSGO has MMR decay, so your rank will drop slowly over time if you don't play. When your rank 'disappears', it still remains but is hidden until you win another match, at which point the game will attempt to re-rank you based upon your MMR and that games outcome blah blah you know what I mean, I think. #whogivesashit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The only people who use p90 are annoying shithead trolls who are unskilled in the fine art of counter-strike.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Oh, thanks for the heads up! I'll just keep it refreshed once a few weeks or so then. It has dawned on me yesterday that I should hermit a bit and work on my assault rifle game.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I don't think there is mmr decay unless they just added it.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I'm sponsored by Das Keyboard irl

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
anyone know whats up with this cache bug
http://www.twitch.tv/lunawashere/v/31305727

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

mcvey posted:

I dunno I just googled 'csgo mmr decay' to check my privilege sources and reddit says it has MMR decay so thats enough evidence for me.

This is obviously fake, as the karma reads 'in good standing', not 'loving ban this guy already'

Edit: Lol season? I don't recall ever playing on season, which is a shame because it is one of my favourite maps.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
lol just lol if u dont have a low 7 dig or better

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That dude's cool as hell he has nipples on his arm.

And seconding handi dude is way better than me and I have like 6 hands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GkSfA1suH0

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

mcvey posted:

Valve said there's some kind of (probably slow) inflation effect. I doubt there's MMR decay, but if your MMR number that you can't see has been staying the same, and everyone else of the same skill level is inflating, that means that especially now that Velva is auto-adjusting the rank barriers, it'll seem like decay. :coolfish: :keke: :tbear: :byobear:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Look up handi and all I see are people calling him "inspirational" and him milking it for all he can, while being a ginormous jerk. More power to him I guess :rolleyes:

Think we have the same setup, which is good because adding a footpad will give me an advantage over him. Curious how he got so good at stutter stepping. Does he use a macro I wonder?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

kalstrams posted:

Exactly 28 days (4 weeks). I've been refreshing my rank every 27th day for the past 4 months... for some reason

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Famethrowa posted:

Look up handi and all I see are people calling him "inspirational" and him milking it for all he can, while being a ginormous jerk. More power to him I guess :rolleyes:

Think we have the same setup, which is good because adding a footpad will give me an advantage over him. Curious how he got so good at stutter stepping. Does he use a macro I wonder?

You, too, can be an rear end in a top hat with a disability.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

it worked the opposite way for me since I have two working hands but am still worse than him

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Weirdly enough, there was similar personality in Starcraft 2, a disabled person very full of themselves. They did overplay their hand though, and mountain of negative PR, while still being a PR, did resolve the "issue" of their visible presence.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 22, 2015

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Serious answer: Mechanicals are available with many variety of keys. They vary in terms of activation force. There are also 'clicky' and 'non-clicky' varieties. The most popular style is the Cherry MX range. My keyboard uses Cherry MX Black keys - which don't click and require a medium force (a bit more than a standard keyboard). I don't know what it's like to type with a stump, but a keyboard Cherry Black keys would probably be a good option, maybe go for Red keys which need an even lighter force.

http://www.keyboardco.com/blog/index.php/2012/12/an-introduction-to-cherry-mx-mechanical-switches/

I also want to point out that if you prefer a shorter throw, you can get "dampers" which are essentially tiny rubber donuts which will stop the key anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5mm sooner. Another fun thing about mechanicals is going to be they keycap selection. Shorter/wider caps are available so you can get real granular about your needs.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

kalstrams posted:

Weirdly enough, there was similar personality in Starcraft 2, a disabled person very full of themselves. They did overplay their hand though, and mountain of negative PR, while still being a PR, did resolve the "issue" of their visible presence.

That's not a nice way to talk about IdrA.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

That's not a nice way to talk about IdrA.

lmao, that was my first thought too. Also I deranked from LEM to LE, rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Ixtlilton posted:

Also I deranked from LEM to LE, rip.

Good

• Locked thread