Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

TTBF posted:

I keep my army sliders at about 25% in case a war suddenly happens. If I'm called to war I can put my slider to full and wait two months to accept and then be at max morale.

e: I'm thinking of doing a daimyo game. What are good ones to start as?

Takeda orange is the only way to go! You start with a gold mine which you can develop to give you an insane advantage over the other daimyo rulers since you can afford to buy all of the mercs. Ally a couple of the big boys and just start taking out your neighbors 1 after another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LumberingTroll posted:

Just started getting into EU4 and I noticed there is steam workshop support, are there any must have mods?

No.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is there a mod that makes the map 2d? I have a work laptop I would like to be able to play EU4 on, and it runs okay, but I figure since I have no onboard graphics card its the 3d map giving me a hard time and slowing the game down a lot.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Wiz please add a Jewish religion requirement to First Come, First Serve so its like roleplaying one of the lost tribes the Mormon's believe in.

Link for the non-Americans who don't know about Mormons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

LumberingTroll posted:

Just started getting into EU4 and I noticed there is steam workshop support, are there any must have mods?

No. There's a couple mods people like for multiplayer, since it breaks up the major powers, but even there I don't think there's a significant fraction of people using mods.

A big part of that is probably that the major DLCs keep changing things so much and so often (in good ways) that maintaining anything would be incredibly difficult.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Arzakon posted:

Wiz please add a Jewish religion requirement to First Come, First Serve so its like roleplaying one of the lost tribes the Mormon's believe in.

There's at least the possibility of finding one of the Lost Tribes if you make a fantastical random new world, fwiw.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bort Bortles posted:

Is there a mod that makes the map 2d? I have a work laptop I would like to be able to play EU4 on, and it runs okay, but I figure since I have no onboard graphics card its the 3d map giving me a hard time and slowing the game down a lot.

There's this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=317529391 but I'm not sure just how much impact it has since it doesn't actually flatten the map.

As for the guy asking about other mods, the most useful ones are just stuff like different font, map graphics, and different/more keyboard shortcuts. Nothing super critical but worth looking into once you get into the game. Keep in mind the gameplay-oriented mods will disable achievements if you care, but graphical stuff should be fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I do not understand why anyone would want to play the game like that. The map is so pretty I find myself wanting to play in terrain mode, but I just cannot.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Arzakon posted:

Funny, my First Come, First Serve game I'm playing a Jewish nation. I just wanted to see JEW plastered across the capitalistic waste of our great country of America though. Nothing to do with Mormons.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

I do not understand why anyone would want to play the game like that. The map is so pretty I find myself wanting to play in terrain mode, but I just cannot.

Huh this is the first time I've seen anyone say this.

EU4 looks pretty drat mediocre. Even beyond the map, the graphics are functional but also kind of flat and weird. Paradox could do well to hire some better artists really, some of theirs are pretty alright, but they also have some sorta eh ones, and there are a few places that it really shows up, like the native american loading screens/ some CK2 face packs.

For all their faults, Creative Assembly (who do the Total War games) have a loving stellar art department, if you wanna see a good looking map game take a look at some of theirs.

Or Hearts of Iron 4 actually, that one so far looks real pretty.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Anyone know if you can do high altitude lakes on RNW tiles? It's flat, defined as a lake tile in the .txt, and renders with a flat lake bottom texture in political mode, but otherwise renders as forest/desert in terrain mode.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Something seems off about this:

Cant figure out what, though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Reads just fine to me :confused:

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Bort Bortles posted:

The Ottomans are the scourge of Christendom in this context.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ormi posted:

The Ottomans are the scourge of Christendom in this context.
Ohgod I need more sleep. I read that as "taking on the cause of expelling Christendom, a scourge, from Europe".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

No. There are mods that flatten out the map, but it's still just really flat 3d.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Bort Bortles posted:

Ohgod I need more sleep. I read that as "taking on the cause of expelling Christendom, a scourge, from Europe".

That's actually a totally valid way to read that sentence as it's written. They could have made it much less ambiguous and you shouldn't really feel too bad about misinterpreting it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I had to read that a few times before I understood what they meant too. :downs:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bort Bortles posted:

They probably should capitalize "Scourge" as it is part of a proper noun.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pretty ballsy to take on Arthas like that!

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Your interpretation is entirely sensible. They need to capitalize "scourge", and possibly follow it with a clarification, e.g."the Scourge of Christendom, the Ottoman Turks."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My privateers have been plundering half the value of Spanish treasure fleets for several decades now, you'd think they'd be even a little bit upset about it but no.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Clearly we need an achievement where you start as Poland and eliminate Christianity.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I love when Navarran Succession makes France and Castile butt heads really early.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

LumberingTroll posted:

Not that change gameplay, no. There's plenty of great graphical/music mods though that make the game prettier.

My "must-haves":
Colourblind mod
Transparent Political Map
WE HAVE CASUS BELLI

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Okay you know what would be cool, if only really appropriate in the closing stages of the game, would be the ability to built a 'custom country' partway through the game as part of a peace deal. Like you can tell France to grant independence to say six provinces, then you get a menu so you can decide stuff about this new country. Doesn't have to be as extensive as the actual custom nation designer but yeah, would be neat.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

LumberingTroll posted:

"Bigger diplomacy view++," "Bigger peace view++," "Bigger production interface," etc would all be must-haves, imo, but they don't seem to work? :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay you know what would be cool, if only really appropriate in the closing stages of the game, would be the ability to built a 'custom country' partway through the game as part of a peace deal. Like you can tell France to grant independence to say six provinces, then you get a menu so you can decide stuff about this new country. Doesn't have to be as extensive as the actual custom nation designer but yeah, would be neat.

That's basically client states.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

does anyone have advice for keeping colonial nations loyal with this agitate for liberty thing? i'm doing a morocco run, it's 1621 and i'm very close to forming al-andalus. 3 of my 5 colonial nations are totally loyal, but mexico and west indies are both pushing 99%: 25% tariffs, 25% agitate for liberty, and well over 55% for the relative strength modifier. obviously this last one is my biggest problem but i can't figure out how it's calculated - force limit comparisons? actual regiments mustered? do navies factor in? should i start building those force limit buildings to try and bring this back down? i started annoying both of them on purpose to get them to rebel but neither country will actually declare war and let me stomp them.

what happens if i release them? i assume we will get a truce for a while - could i DOW them after and try and get them back into submission? is there something i'm missing to get them to like me more? maxed relations would bring me down to say 75-80% desire for independence with them, and i can't just keep burning my prestige placating them.

also, how can I make money as morocco? i'm usually running a +4-6 ducats surplus but i need more. should i switch my home node over to sevilla? my share of trade power there is roughly 15-18% - i collect maybe 7 or 8 a month off of a total of 30, using a merchant. i have to go beat up the new world OPMs every few years to steal their hundreds of ducats from them to actually fund new armies/fleets.

i also did a byzantium game and it was really easy. is this a new change? i just allied hungary and wallachia and when Ottos DOWed me we had no problems at all defeating each of their 20 stacks in the field.

edit: i took exploration/economic/quality/trade/admin ideas, in that order. trade didn't help much; i didn't notice only one node feeds into Safi. maybe I should expand into west africa and take over the gold mines? i put it off to focus on colonizing and forming andalusia.

shallowj fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 22, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Are any other nations supporting their independence? That gets factored into the relative strength modifier. When CNs ally, it also adds their strength for that calculation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

I really just have to grab one of the mods that unlocks client states early. I've never used them because they come so late in the game I don't even need them. Every time I think drat! I could really use a client state right now it's like 1540 or something.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The important thing about client states is you use them for pretty border nations around you starting 1799 or so. Just like Napoleon; craft your own pretty europe to screenshot in 1821.

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Are any other nations supporting their independence? That gets factored into the relative strength modifier. When CNs ally, it also adds their strength for that calculation.

No one's supporting them, but i think they are allied to each other, which must be it. I did a tedious search through the ledger to find the states with enough espionage ideas to agitate them and it's either Ulm or Croatia. Anything I can try to do to get them to stop infiltrating my colonial nations? Improving relations didn't seem to help - maybe allying the offending nations?

is there a trick to getting my colonial nations to DOW me so I can just crush them? maybe just disband my mercs for a bit then rehire them? i'm allied with Ottos - maybe cancel that alliance for a bit?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

PittTheElder posted:

Wait really? I should probably try releasing one of those at some point then!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

shallowj posted:

Anything I can try to do to get them to stop infiltrating my colonial nations? Improving relations didn't seem to help - maybe allying the offending nations?

Annex them

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

I love this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

shallowj posted:

is there a trick to getting my colonial nations to DOW me so I can just crush them? maybe just disband my mercs for a bit then rehire them? i'm allied with Ottos - maybe cancel that alliance for a bit?

They're waiting for you to be weak. So yeah, cancel alliances or disbanding troops will be moving in that direction. But it'll also make every other AI way more likely to jump you.

:vince:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I feel like i read somewhere that they were going to make mercs more expensive in Cossacks. Like make it exponentially more expensive like colonies. Is that true or have I had too much gin?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lori posted:

I love this.
I loved making names for the revised RNW. No one's mentioned the Hekawi tribe yet, but I'm very happy that got in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

EwokEntourage posted:

I feel like i read somewhere that they were going to make mercs more expensive in Cossacks. Like make it exponentially more expensive like colonies. Is that true or have I had too much gin?

I think you made that up. They did rework the way the mercenary pool works though, so it's a percentage of your force limit instead of filling up every month.

• Locked thread