Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Interesting stuff in no particular order:

- After restoring Joshuu from corruption he gets up in part 4 Josuke's face. His reaction is to have Crazy Diamond punch him in the face and knock him out. Josuke 8 asks what he's doing. Josuke 4 apparently thought that the corruption wasn't completely gone yet because of how Joshuu was acting. Part 8 Josuke thinks for a second and says something along the lines of "Oh, that's true." instead of correcting him.

Dialing back to this Eyes of Heaven spoiler, I love that after not even knowing him for ten minutes, Josuke, who's ability comes from his kind heart, already wants to beat Joshuu's rear end in hopes he'll stop being Joshuu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

the engagement ring scene is hilarious gently caress all yall

Yeah, Joseph getting engaged to Wham and ACDC was pretty great.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Butt Ghost posted:

I wish the crew had survived. I didn't feel any gratification from the ending.

Stone Ocean's crew, like Jonathan long before them, had deaths that paved the way for something new. In the moment I enjoy those downer moments of the series for being interesting but even more I like how those severe changes open the story up for more possibilities.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Annasui doesn't really know what's going on.

And bad endings are great. I love Stone Ocean's.
My boy DIO finally won kinda.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't like Stone Oceans ending solely because of what is lost, but I absolutely love SBR, and I do like how Araki used the reset to basically have whatever fun he wanted in SBR, unbound by any of the stories of the Joestars in the previous parts.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Do you just like to ignore that Irene and Anakiss are supposed to be the same people at the end

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is there any feasible way of making Abbachio work in a fighting game with any kind of online functionality while retaining Moody Blue's identity to a point where it's more than just a punch ghost?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No because it is not a combat stand in any capacity

Do you know how Capcom implement Moody Blues? You sit there and press buttons while it's active and it registers the buttons to a certain point and does them all in succession so Abbachio can attack at the same time as well. That being said, you'd never get to do it because it takes forever to set up and Abbachio can infinitely lock opponents down with his punch combo.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is there any feasible way of making Abbachio work in a fighting game with any kind of online functionality while retaining Moody Blue's identity to a point where it's more than just a punch ghost?

make him the jojo equivalent of blademaster for soul caliber where he just comes in a as a stand from the previous match.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ah so Ultimate Cars in 7th Stand User... does he regain HP even when frozen in time?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yes. I was not exaggerating when I said that boss was the worst.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes. I was not exaggerating when I said that boss was the worst.

Then- gently caress, I was going to say "The best time to fight him would be when you get Dire and Speedwagon" even if they ARE AI controlled... But nope, you can only fight him once you reach Cairo, you can fight the Creator from the beginning. I was going to fight him so I could just get past the creator, but honestly now I'm just thinking I'll just fight the Creator. What does the Red Stone of Aja even do?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Onmi posted:

Then- gently caress, I was going to say "The best time to fight him would be when you get Dire and Speedwagon" even if they ARE AI controlled... But nope, you can only fight him once you reach Cairo, you can fight the Creator from the beginning. I was going to fight him so I could just get past the creator, but honestly now I'm just thinking I'll just fight the Creator. What does the Red Stone of Aja even do?

It's a part of the Sword Of St.George questline.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

It's a part of the Sword Of St.George questline.

The What? Also I just beat the Creator the intended way. Ya know. Time Stop Jotaro maximum buff after Orchestra. That's how the game was meant to be played right?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Maybe have Moody Blues copy what your opponent previously did? To win you'd have to outmanoeuvre your opponent into getting beaten up by their own past actions. Not sure how well that would work in practice but it's at least kind of consistent with what his stand does

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Do you just like to ignore that Irene and Anakiss are supposed to be the same people at the end

Baal posted:

That's Irina and Anakiss, not Jolyne and Annasui

cmon dude quit flip flopping

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

By the way I decided to crack open 7th Stand User in RPG Maker 2000 to check out how things are running.

So the Overdrive SP the final merchant in Cairo sells, you know how the description says "Repackaged Overdrive SY"? Literally. It literally is Overdrive SY, except it costs 700 more. Overdrive SY 2 is 2% More HP healing and the minimum it can restore SP is raised to 25% from 20. Other than that, it's exactly the same as Overdrive SY.

I cannot see what gives Cars his HP regen skill but I can tell that Araki must have it too, since he only has 9999 hp Listed

I will now list off what 25 Status Effects do. There are 65 in all.
Additionally, while I wont list it, Status effect chances are divided into A-E Rank categories, with each one being how likely the effect is to take hold.

Poison : 5% HP+1 Every turn
Darkness: Reduce Hit Rate chance to 20%. Heals after 3 turns with a 20% probability
Sealed (No idea who does this): Seals your Stand preventing abilities I assume. Heals after 3 turns with a 40% probability, has a 10% chance of ending when hit.
Berserk: Reduces Hit rate to 50%, limits to physical attacks, halves defense. Heals after 3 turns with a 30% probability, has a 25% chance of ending when hit.
Confusion: Attack self or allies. Heals after 3 turns with a 30% probability, has a 25% chance of ending when hit.
Sleeping: Your character falls asleep with no chance to act. Heals after 1 turn with a 25% probability, has a 50% chance of ending when hit.
Bind: Halts movement and actions. Heals after 1 turn with a 40% probability, has a 30% chance of ending when hit.
Dizzy: Knocks a character down for a turn. Heals after 0 turns at 100%
Fear: Dizzy with different hit rates
Time Stop: Stops time Halves Defense and Agility. It says it has a natural heal time of 5 turns,which I can only determine means it's counting both enemy and player turns. The strange thing is I've seen it last for longer on enemies, and some characters who should be immune to time stop in the code, aren't
Paralyze: Locks down your movements. Heals after 3 turns with a 30% chance
Dissolve: Halves defense, Deals 20%+1 HP Damage a turn. Heals after 1 turn with a 30% chance and on a hit at a 20% chance.
Magnet: Is 5%+1 HP damage a turn and halves agility.
Eagle: is 10%+1 HP Damage and reduces hit rate to 90% Heals after 3 turns with a 30% chance
Specials: 10%+1 HP Damage every turn, halves all stats, Reduces hit chance to 80% Heals after 1 turn with a 50% chance.
Pursued: Limits actions 3%+1 HP damage and 1% damage a turn. Heals after 3 turns with a 10% chance
Insects: 2%+1 HP damage and 2% SP damage a turn, 80% Hit Rate, halves agility. Heals after 3 turns with a 10% chance and on a hit at a 20% chance.
Barnacle: 2%+1 HP damage, Halves all stats but Spirit. There is no healing from Barnacles.
Bugs: 7%+1 HP damage, Heals after 3 turns with a 10% chance and on a hit at a 5% chance.
Swarmed: 5%+1 HP damage, Reduce hitrate to 7%. Heals after 3 turns with a 10% chance and on a hit at a 5% chance.
NoSword: I have no drat idea where this status comes from, but it can halve attack and knock out the attack command. Heals after 3 turns with a 30% chance
CantFind: Reduces hit chance to 5%. Heals after 2 turns with a 15% chance and on a hit at a 20% chance.
Distract: Reduce hit chance to 20%. Heals after 3 turns with a 30% chance and on a hit at a 30% chance.
Drunk: 50% Hitrate, halves all stats, 50% chance every turn of shaking it off.

There's far more, but I'm tired, so I'll go to sleep and finish them off later.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Baal posted:

Anakiss never killed anyone, pal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

cmon dude quit flip flopping

I thought it was pretty obvious that second post was a joke post

no they will not posted:

You don't know that

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

no they will not posted:

yet.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 6 had a lot of problems but Jolyne, Hermes, and F.F. worked great together.

Part 6 was actually pretty risky and experimental when you think about it. I'd be interested to know how many of the hiccups (like Annasui) were due to editorial interference vs. Araki writing himself into a corner.

Not that I want to revive the Annasui Discourse again, but to me he felt like he was supposed to be a one off character at first, but then wasn't.

I have a hard time actually hating on characters so he was always just kind off "ehhh" to me, but him existing to get constantly dunked on made it a little better. Him ragging on F.F. in addition to her dying for him was also uncalled for, though. :v:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Eyes Over Heaven has the retcon powers that people were expecting the Jojolion antagonist to have. Now Araki's gotta come up with something even more ridiculous :v:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

There are honestly very few JoJo characters that I flat out dislike, but I've said before that I do like Diver Down's design quite a bit so maybe that makes up for it.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I can't decide if Valentine's table time animation should be picking up a napkin or chugging a beer in one go

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's really not a difficult choice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

I thought it was pretty obvious that second post was a joke post

It wasnt obvious at all, because its the truth, they are different characters, this was an ongoing thing with stone ocean

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I can't decide if Valentine's table time animation should be picking up a napkin or chugging a beer in one go
Shotguns a beer, then picks up a napkin to dab his face.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm surprised Jotaro doesn't shotgun a beer either.

Though I guess perhaps the age rating ties their hands in regards to showing Alcohol consumption?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

It wasnt obvious at all, because its the truth, they are different characters, this was an ongoing thing with stone ocean

They are not different characters because they are used at the rear end end of Stone Ocean to show the characters deaths weren't for nothing. How can you even say it's recurring when those two characters show up at the end of Stone Ocean.

I'm surprised Jotaro doesn't shotgun a beer either.

Though I guess perhaps the age rating ties their hands in regards to showing Alcohol consumption?

It was a soda and they can have Jotaro drinking juice, it's kinda boring how half of the cast is sipping tea but with a slightly altered sitting pose.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Low effort seems to be the order of the day with a lot of EoH to be fair.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're right, I forgot what game I was talking about.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

They are not different characters because they are used at the rear end end of Stone Ocean to show the characters deaths weren't for nothing. How can you even say it's recurring when those two characters show up at the end of Stone Ocean.

Because it's a big thing in stone ocean that they establish with FF that just because someone is brought back doesn't mean they're the same person baal

cmon it's not hard to understand

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that Kars doesn't even sit in the chair, he just poses on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

Because it's a big thing in stone ocean that they establish with FF that just because someone is brought back doesn't mean they're the same person baal

that's basically what i got from it. it's why emporio's sad. they're not the same. it's why johnny's sad near the end of steel ball run. valentine COULD bring another gyro back, but it won't be the same one that he spent time with. for all he knows that gyro might never have been friends with him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

This big thing that one character goes through and she dies just as suddenly. If your argument is they showed those characters at the end for no reason other than to emphasize that point then it is just piling on how lovely Stone Ocean's ending is because it is just needlessly piling these cruelties onto this child and it also makes it so none of the characters have any real closure either.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

This big thing that one character goes through and she dies just as suddenly. If your argument is they showed those characters at the end for no reason other than to emphasize that point then it is just piling on how lovely Stone Ocean's ending is because it is just needlessly piling these cruelties onto this child and it also makes it so none of the characters have any real closure either.

-_- you dont get it...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Stone Ocean's ending was an interesting idea but very confusing and a poor end to the main Jojo series. Hopefully SBR/JJL/whatever's next has a better conclusion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The ending Stone Ocean is like when Narancia died in Part 5 but if it happened to every character except like... Trish and then she accidentally hit Spice Girl with the stand arrow.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Unlike the Passione though, the part 6 cast dying was actually sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I feel like I understand what Araki was maybe trying to do with Stone Ocean's ending, I just don't think he communicated it very well.