Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The Dodge of Venice: a 1970 Charger running on a 1970 Fiat 500 engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Panzeh posted:

I think the Shinano was more finished as a carrier to add to the number of carriers they could field, same for the Ise conversion. They were a bit desperate. For its size it was a garbage carrier, though.

It also came about in the era where the Japanese air arm was so devastated that serious carrier operations were impossible.

Desperate is a good word. IJN doctrine at that point still probably gave less of a poo poo about sustained ops and more about the combat willingness of remaining forces in order to keep trying to make "fetch" "decisive battle" happen, and desperation is a good way of describing the IJN doctrine even early on. I'm of the opinion that IJN leadership knew well before 1941 that they could not absorb nearly as much attrition as the USN could, and drew on their last big naval war some 35ish years prior. Unfortunately they just kept beating the piss out of the Russians in that one because they held a significant number of advantages which they certainly did not hold over the USN with the exception of a few particular pieces of equipment and weaponry, like the Zero and their torpedoes. That never made up for the doctrinal differences which made every loss hurt their effort way more than losses hurt the US. It was a gamble, and desperation is what leads to that all-or-nothing type of thinking. It was desperate from the outset even if it was a rational kind of desperate.

The doctrine at that time was so radically different from what we now consider reasonable that it's hard to wrap one's head around the mindset because things like "keeping your aces at home as trainers" and "train every seaman in basic firefighting" are such deeply-held paradigms. About the closest thing I can think of is the Bush-era "shock and awe" terminology for decapitation strike and even then that was just the spearpoint of a more or less sustained operation within a relatively confined area given force projection capabilities of the time and still not an attempt to force an equal or near-equal foe into peace negotiations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
in Symonds' The Battle of Midway, he talks about how the IJN air training cadres made it a point of pride to wash out as many cadets as they could - I think the numbers cited were something like 3 graduating pilots from a class of 25. This made them the Selectors of the Elite more than instructors. Meanwhile, a US instructor who washed out half of his cadets would probably be reprimanded for being an abysmally ineffective teacher. So aside from attritting the hell out of their prime pilots and dismal aircraft production numbers, the IJN handicapped themselves from before anything got started by rejecting pilots who were probably competent, if not ace material. Lots of perfectly good potential IJN pilots probably ended up doing poo poo jobs instead of contributing their most valuable skill to the effort.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, the Shinano wasn't even finished when it was sunk, and the Americans were so incredulous at the skipper's report that they initially denied him credit for the kill on the basis that the ship he claimed to have sunk was absurd.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Desperate is a good word. IJN doctrine at that point still probably gave less of a poo poo about sustained ops and more about the combat willingness of remaining forces in order to keep trying to make "fetch" "decisive battle" happen, and desperation is a good way of describing the IJN doctrine even early on. I'm of the opinion that IJN leadership knew well before 1941 that they could not absorb nearly as much attrition as the USN could, and drew on their last big naval war some 35ish years prior. Unfortunately they just kept beating the piss out of the Russians in that one because they held a significant number of advantages which they certainly did not hold over the USN with the exception of a few particular pieces of equipment and weaponry, like the Zero and their torpedoes. That never made up for the doctrinal differences which made every loss hurt their effort way more than losses hurt the US. It was a gamble, and desperation is what leads to that all-or-nothing type of thinking. It was desperate from the outset even if it was a rational kind of desperate.

The doctrine at that time was so radically different from what we now consider reasonable that it's hard to wrap one's head around the mindset because things like "keeping your aces at home as trainers" and "train every seaman in basic firefighting" are such deeply-held paradigms. About the closest thing I can think of is the Bush-era "shock and awe" terminology for decapitation strike and even then that was just the spearpoint of a more or less sustained operation within a relatively confined area given force projection capabilities of the time and still not an attempt to force an equal or near-equal foe into peace negotiations.

Yeah, a lot of the apparently suboptimal doctrinal decisions were part of an all in bet on an early decisive battle, which truth be told probably maximized their chance of winning the war. That chance was nevertheless so abysmally low that the initial decision to go to war in the first place still stands out as horrendously bad.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Tevery Best posted:

Now I'm imagining some sort of crazy cyberpunk/30YW crossover.

HÄLD PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance landsknechts
Greatest pike fighter in the world
Stringer, Maybach of Florence

Check out Carl Sargents Black Madonna, it's a pretty good mashup of 3rd edition Shadowrun and Renaissance ideas.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Also, the Shinano wasn't even finished when it was sunk, and the Americans were so incredulous at the skipper's report that they initially denied him credit for the kill on the basis that the ship he claimed to have sunk was absurd.

To this day, Shinano is the largest warship to be sunk by a submarine.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

If you sink in shallow enough water you can just get divers to close the WT doors, pump out the undamaged areas of the ship, and refloat them. Depending on the torpedo damage (penning rather than lighting off a magazine or keel breaking) it can sometimes be a pretty easy/fast fix.

You're right relatively speaking of course, but goddamn those divers who went into those wrecks to unfuck those things. That is some serious stone cold ballage right there that is pretty much completely unappreciated in the history of warfare.

Here's some awesome pics of the Oklahoma being hauled up from her watery grave, which took months and god knows how much material and manpower. Only in America baby...

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 22, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Blistex posted:

Like was mentioned, it is probably the #1 fetished warship in history, which is sort of funny considering it is also the single most useless warship in history when you take into account the cost vs. accomplishment metric. Bismarck sunk the Hood, Tirpitz tied up the northern fleet for years, and cost the RAF a lot of time and effort to sink her, and the Iowas did a shitload of shelling and AA cover as well. I can't think of another WWII warship that was a larger waste of time/money/manpower/resources that did less than the Yamato and Musashi. Some of the French or Italian BB's that were sunk early in the war might count, but they come nowhere close to the cost of the Yamato class.

The fertilization of the Yamato makes sense then, as it actually doing anything has to happen in imagination.

Have a bunch of pictures of armor. Most of the best preserved stuff is (no surpise) stuff made for royalty, and this stuff tends to be very blinged out, so it's a odd combination of "good protection" and "look at how rich I am."

Note the feet:

Shield of Charles V. Solid Silver details, naturally:

Ha, NEEERRRRRDDDD:

French king armor fanciest armor:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Trin Tragula posted:

Righto. Thanks very much, old bean.

Could someone now explain why HEY GAL came up with "Operation Court, and I don't get where 'Judgement' comes from?"

Operation Court is as good as it gets. Gericht also means "dish" btw. Apparently, rating the quality of food is serious stuff, like passing a sentence or judging somebody.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When I get a chance, I'll post some armor photos. I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art over Thanksgiving.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Shinano however wasn't meant to be a combat carrier (as cool as it would've been though!) but a logistics one, meant to help better supply and repair other ships and carriers.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Koesj posted:

Raaargh Gericht also means dish! I want all my military history to be food related! Fall Bräu!

Does this mean I can reach and call it "Last Meal"?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Tevery Best posted:

HÄLD PROTAGONIST

Stephenson's Baroque Cycle is basically like this. :v: It's even written in Snow Crash present tense!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Trin Tragula posted:

If you smell what the Generalstab is cooking?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Those armour photos are great.

The POV from inside the armour must have been hugely restrictive though. How much could you really see from such tiny eye-slits?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Frankly, going by the Gefühl in my Eingeweiden, I'd still go with Operation Judgement. Gericht as judgement is a thing in religious or mythological contexts, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was assigned in that context (or at least with an eye to the ambiguity). It's a complicated matter, though. I'd stall for time and look how other German operations around the date were codenamed. If it's all Unternehmen Postamt or Unternehmen Bahnhof it's much more likely that it means court, if it's Unternehmen Siegfried or Unternehmen Nibelungen it'll mean Judgement.

Having successfully overthought things, I will now go back to playing Planierraupensimulator 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Blut posted:

The POV from inside the armour must have been hugely restrictive though. How much could you really see from such tiny eye-slits?

Also what's the point of the feet?

:v:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Slavvy posted:

If you're asking why they armored them at all, for the same reason any part of the body was armored: to protect against injury. Injuries to the foot are very debilitating, and a severe one is incapacitating. If you can't stand you can't fight.

If you're asking why they made the goofy pointy sabaton, that was a style choice. Fashionable shoes of the time were also pointed. I think it was a penis thing?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blut posted:

The eye slits are fine. Just hold your hands up to your face and make s slit with your fingers to see what it's like. Your peripheral vision gets cut off on the vertical axis, but since we have never fought skeletons or dragons, it doesn't really matter

Also keep in mind that the more dramatically narrow slotted armour is actually jousting armour, which is made to protect knights in a very specific set to of circumstances and wouldn't be used in war.

Soldiers were more often concerned with how their helmets affected their hearing rather than their vision. If you cover your head completely in metal, you change the acoustics surrounding your ears,doubly so with the cotton padding most European soldiers wore. Light cavalry guys and early middle age infantry preferred helmets that left a gap for their ears, and The fanciest munitions armour (like morions) do their best to preserve a hearing channel

Slavvy posted:

:v:

If you're on a horse, somebody flailing at you could easily hit your foot. If you're not mounted, you don't want to be the guy who died because their foot got stomped while grappling and fell over and then got spiked through the face with a stiletto

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 22, 2015

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's always a penis thing.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ask us about Military History: It's always a penis thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This seemed like the most appropriate place to put this:

[url]http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35162393]A right wing German politician just got in trouble for having a death camp tattoo. No, not Jewish kind, the "I'm a nazi and love this poo poo" kind[/url]

THe "best" part is that it's a KZ Lager tramp stamp:

edit: he's also an idiot. The picture is of Auschwitz but the motto is from the front gate of Buchenwald.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 22, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EvanSchenck posted:

If you're asking why they armored them at all, for the same reason any part of the body was armored: to protect against injury. Injuries to the foot are very debilitating, and a severe one is incapacitating. If you can't stand you can't fight.

With how debilitating any injury could be in medieval times, I'd imagine armoring as much of the body as possible for warfare was vital. The lack of knowledge of vectors of infection meant that wounds that would be relatively minor today (or severe but with a high chance of survival) could result in illness, amputation, and potentially death in the 13th century. Took a big cut across the arm in battle? Hope you got to keep the whole thing and didn't die of sepsis! Today you'd just go home with a gnarly scar to talk about over drinks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What's the point of besagew and couter?

Half of that armor looks super pimpin, while the other half looks like it belongs in Dark Souls.

I think I've been cured of RPG love of plate, anyways. Mail + tabard looks a lot more bitchin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

What's the point of besagew and couter?

Half of that armor looks super pimpin, while the other half looks like it belongs in Dark Souls.

I think I've been cured of RPG love of plate, anyways. Mail + tabard looks a lot more bitchin.

Besagews prevent thrusts from going under the armpit, and couters deflect elbow strikes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That tattoo is certainly in the top ten of worst loving things to ever scar into your skin with ink lists in my head now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I always had a toy "hypothesis" that to some extent knights' boots (and then the sabatons) looked like that partially to help get into and stay in stirrups. I noticed a while back that cowboy boots and riding boots also have pointy toes and heels

Now obviously the making the point 8 inches long is something totally else, but it always made me wonder. No idea how to even research something that vague though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xiahou Dun posted:

I always had a toy "hypothesis" that to some extent knights' boots (and then the sabatons) looked like that partially to help get into and stay in stirrups. I noticed a while back that cowboy boots and riding boots also have pointy toes and heels

Now obviously the making the point 8 inches long is something totally else, but it always made me wonder. No idea how to even research something that vague though.

I thought it was just the shoe fashion of the time - a classic case of conspicuous consumption, men would compete over who had the most leather in their shoes (eventually this got so out of hand that rulers would set restrictions to how long a shoe could be etc.).

It's still a thing in Finland, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

I thought it was just the shoe fashion of the time - a classic case of conspicuous consumption, men would compete over who had the most leather in their shoes (eventually this got so out of hand that rulers would set restrictions to how long a shoe could be etc.).

Their hair matches!

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

chitoryu12 posted:

The lack of knowledge of vectors of infection meant that wounds that would be relatively minor today (or severe but with a high chance of survival) could result in illness, amputation, and potentially death in the 13th century. Took a big cut across the arm in battle? Hope you got to keep the whole thing and didn't die of sepsis! Today you'd just go home with a gnarly scar to talk about over drinks.

This is sort of not true: the medieval peeps knew how to treat cuts and do stitches and wash wounds, the problem, like today, was puncturing wounds where it's far more likely that the wound will get infected.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

There's a lot of recruits in the early modern getting their pay deducted till they've paid off their armor.
When half the Mansfeld Regiment mutinied and left, they sold their armor and weapons or just ditched them, and Dam Vitzhumb von Eckstedt, who was writing the letter about this, sniffed: "And they were still two-thirds indebted for it!"

Tevery Best posted:

HÄLD PROTAGONIST

gustavus adolphus writes I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IMPULSE CONTROL on his forehead, has his own leather gun with ULTIMA RATIO REGIS on it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 22, 2015

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nenonen posted:

O yeah. My idea only goes to why pointy toe and heels might be a thing, vaguely sort of backed up by it coinciding kind of a little bit with the stirrup. (And is based on tummy feels so obviously should not be trusted.)

Turning your shoes into canoes is obviously its own thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kemper Boyd posted:

This is sort of not true: the medieval peeps knew how to treat cuts and do stitches and wash wounds, the problem, like today, was puncturing wounds where it's far more likely that the wound will get infected.

Did they also understand the use of alcohol for cleaning wounds?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

EvanSchenck posted:

This is essentially what munition armor was, yes.
so much so that i have actually read Gustavus Adolphus bitching about the quality of the shipments he received.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you're on a horse, somebody flailing at you could easily hit your foot. If you're not mounted, you don't want to be the guy who died because their foot got stomped while grappling and fell over and then got spiked through the face with a stiletto

I should point out, however, that men fighting as infantry would often forgo full armored protection to the feet and lower legs, partly to save weight and improve mobility, and partly because those extremities were in less danger on foot. If you're not riding a horse then your muscles are responsible for carrying all the weight, so any savings helped. Also, if you're riding a horse and you encounter men on foot, your shins and feet are their most accessible targets, so you kind of need to armor them. On foot, they're too low to be readily attacked and doing so brings your weapon partly out of line and compromises your guard. They're actually kind of hard to hit even then because you can move them out of the way of attacks relatively easily.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Right, we shouldn't exaggerate how poor medieval medicine was. We've recovered remains of soldiers that show evidence of surviving and recovering from more severe wounds than you would expect, like guys who had notches in their bones from sword cuts that went all the way into their bodies, and stuff. You were much more likely to be permanently maimed or to die from a lot of injuries, but it wasn't like any given wound was an automatic death sentence. Sometimes it's surprising what medieval surgeons were able to do.

Still, there's a lot of injuries they just couldn't do anything about. Henry VIII hosed up his leg jousting at age 27 and historians today speculate that it changed the entire course of his life and had a profound effect on English and European history.

e:

HEY GAL posted:

When half the Mansfeld Regiment mutinied and left, they sold their armor and weapons or just ditched them, and Dam Vitzhumb von Eckstedt, who was writing the letter about this, sniffed: "And they were still two-thirds indebted for it!"

that is loving great

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

That tattoo is certainly in the top ten of worst loving things to ever scar into your skin with ink lists in my head now.
it's not the worst auschwitz tattoo ever though

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they also understand the use of alcohol for cleaning wounds?

Do wounds in mouth or other parts of digestive system count?

HEY GAL posted:

:drat::vince:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

If I ever get to the point where I think "meh, I've seen worse Auschwitz tattoos" well then I just don't even know what.

e: oh dear that one totally passed me by.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

Do wounds in mouth or other parts of digestive system count?

I'm sure they used it for wounds on the inside, if you know what I mean.

• Locked thread