Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Helene Bergerot is a very nice lady with an unenviable job but she can't really do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

so this is happening

edit-beaten

Lunsku posted:

The L3 maintaining magicjudges.org (a third party judge site I understand) has suspended it in protest:
http://apps.magicjudges.org/

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 22, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Did none of you aside from Zoness try to look at this without immediately demonizing WotC?

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

Is it probably a dumb move? Yeah. It looks like they tried to get everyone who knew about earlier leaks (like the theoretical KTK one I mentioned) and knew about the Wastes/Kozilek leak but said nothing. They apparently also got a bunch of people who had no clue about earlier leaks. I haven't actually seen any of the judges categorically deny that they knew about a source of leaks and didn't tell WotC, so this is just being charitable to the judges' point of view.

It would be nice if WotC would actually say more than "this was happening over multiple sets", because it's also possible that they meant "these people were leaking stuff from multiple sets, and we banned everyone who ever associated with them" instead of the much more reasonable possibility I outlined above.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
tbh the main ridiculously early leak i remember was the origins chandra one

with like no corresponding event for it to be leaked either

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I figure there had to be 1-2 card leaks in every spoiler season, and am way too uninvested in this to actually check

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Several judges have mentioned that their ban came with no formal notice of investigation, which is a little odd considering some of the accused may have something to say to defend themselves? The reaction's a bit Judge Dredd to me.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

GeneX posted:

So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

Except that those involved, both in the chat room and on other social media, have stated that their knowledge of the leak was as tenuous as any who have had it linked on any other forms of social media. That is patently ridiculous, and is being treated with the respect and candor it deserves.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

GeneX posted:

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one.

This is not what happened hth.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Okay, cool, then it's a game of he-said/she-said.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GeneX posted:

Did none of you aside from Zoness try to look at this without immediately demonizing WotC?

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

Is it probably a dumb move? Yeah. It looks like they tried to get everyone who knew about earlier leaks (like the theoretical KTK one I mentioned) and knew about the Wastes/Kozilek leak but said nothing. They apparently also got a bunch of people who had no clue about earlier leaks. I haven't actually seen any of the judges categorically deny that they knew about a source of leaks and didn't tell WotC, so this is just being charitable to the judges' point of view.

It would be nice if WotC would actually say more than "this was happening over multiple sets", because it's also possible that they meant "these people were leaking stuff from multiple sets, and we banned everyone who ever associated with them" instead of the much more reasonable possibility I outlined above.

Sorry no one liked your article last week, Trick.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the truly egregious part is that one of the judges suspended, upon seeing the leak in a Facebook group, immediately contacted Wizards to report it and try to help them find the source. No good deed, and so on.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao ocassional pro player Roberto Gonzales has been banned three years, he claims it was for tweeting a picture of the Kozilek leak

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the truly egregious part is that one of the judges suspended, upon seeing the leak in a Facebook group, immediately contacted Wizards to report it and try to help them find the source. No good deed, and so on.

He technically did spread knowledge of the leak around, even if it was to WoTC themselves!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

GeneX posted:

Okay, cool, then it's a game of he-said/she-said.

Except it isnt? WotC stated that those who neither actively distributed or obtained the leak in the first place were suspended. This was because they failed to report leaks to Wizards in the past. Why is it the job of anyone but employees to do this? Why, when one person did take part in this proactive search for spoilers, were they suspended as well? There was no policy in place for judges to police social media for spoilers, and it seems pretty silly to even think about.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sorry no one liked your article last week, Trick.

Oh dear god no

also that article was hilariously stupid pandering and WotC would be viewed better if they stopped trying to pretend that it's a moral imperative to not leak wizard cardboard pictures, but let's stay on the subject of what may or may not be another hilarious fuckup

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Patrick Chapin: Leaks are equivalent to arson.

E:^^ :argh:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
the mind that played thought scour to enable gurmag angler

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Deofuta posted:

Except it isnt? WotC stated that those who neither actively distributed or obtained the leak in the first place were suspended. This was because they failed to report leaks to Wizards in the past.

This is actually a leap of logic. The past sets thing isn't clear which is annoying on its own but it's not directly tied to any other activity either.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

GeneX posted:

WotC is a multi-million dollar brand, not your friend. No one is accusing them of illegal activity, they're just being disproportionately massive dicks over some pictures of cardboard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

:laffo:

Someone compare it to dealing ecstasy in response please

deftest
May 7, 2011

GeneX posted:

Just innovate.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Zoness posted:

This is actually a leap of logic. The past sets thing isn't clear which is annoying on its own but it's not directly tied to any other activity either.

I just read all the statements again and that is true, but then why were those who did not take actively take part in the spreading/obtaining of the spoilers suspended? If we do not extrapolate a reason from what is presented, then perhaps WotC should provide a reason. Obviously they do not have to provide one, but failing to do so can lead to ramifications seen today.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pat Chapin: With respect Maro, perhaps this is a man that you don't fully understand, either. A long time ago, I was on Reddit. We were trying to build hype for a new set by slowly revealing cards. But our cards were being leaked by a judge. So, we went looking for the leaks. One day, I saw a child tweeting a picture of Kozilek, the Great Distortion. The leaker had been posting them on Twitter.

Mark Rosewater: So why leak them?

Pat Chapin: Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Deofuta posted:

I just read all the statements again and that is true, but then why were those who did not take actively take part in the spreading/obtaining of the spoilers suspended? If we do not extrapolate a reason from what is presented, then perhaps WotC should provide a reason. Obviously they do not have to provide a reason, but failing to do so can lead to ramifications seen today.

Yeah I hope no one's arguing that WotC shouldn't have seen this coming/shouldn't be a hell of a lot more forthright about things like this

getting a man named "trick" to write an article praising the moral righteousness of snitching and then banning a bunch of people with little explanation is pretty bad

these are equally bad things, btw, trick is a bad nickname

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

during all of this remember that the great crime that was perpetrated was sharing an image of a game piece on social media

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Patrick Sullivan is just too loving likable.

Also, tinfoil time. One of the guys who was suspended for 3 years has a podcast.

http://mtgfocus.tumblr.com/post/135426608808/mtg-focus-episode-38-leaky-pipes

About 35 minutes in they start talking about the leak. I feel like his opinions on this leak from the broadcast might have had something to do with his ban.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 22, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ciprian Maricon posted:

during all of this remember that the great crime that was perpetrated was sharing an image of a game piece on social media

if it were a crime people would go to jail and that would be a lot funnier tbh

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Basically WotC sucks at handling everything and their PR is non-existent. This isn't news.

Sickening posted:

This is good poo poo.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Somebody link the facebook thing already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Somebody link the facebook thing already.

Almost all the judge groups are closed group.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Also, tinfoil time. One of the guys who was suspended for 3 years has a podcast.

http://mtgfocus.tumblr.com/post/135426608808/mtg-focus-episode-38-leaky-pipes

About 35 minutes in they start talking about the leak. I feel like his opinions on this leak from the broadcast might have had something to do with his ban.

MTGFocus is the twitter account that first posted the leaks, isn't it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

MTGFocus is the twitter account that first posted the leaks, isn't it?

If you mean posted the leaks, you mean talk about it on twitter, then probably.

Funny enough is that he called magic "his career" and in that podcast I linked he talked about how if he was banned it would kill his livelihood.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 22, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

i sent a jpeg of kozilek to my friend on gmail does that mean im a terrorist or whatever? :ohdear:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GeneX posted:

If wotc were competent, they'd have iced the leaker from inside a jail cell. - Patrick "The Butcher" Chapin

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i sent a jpeg of kozilek to my friend on gmail does that mean im a terrorist or whatever? :ohdear:

I and every other Judge who posts are currently filling out your suspension as I type, lest we too be banned for failing to staunchly defend Wizards intellectual property.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I and every other Judge who posts are currently filling out your suspension as I type, lest we too be banned for failing to staunchly defend Wizards intellectual property.

Joke's on you, your report of his suspension will be used as evidence against you.

Pepper Crab
Mar 2, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

It still boils down to less than minimum wage, especially considering travel IIRC>

SCG pays L2 judges a little over $150 per day to work at an Open Series event. I'm not saying you should quit your job and travel around the country to judge Magic for a living, but I don't really think the pay is unreasonably low.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Pepper Crab posted:

SCG pays L2 judges a little over $150 per day to work at an Open Series event. I'm not saying you should quit your job and travel around the country to judge Magic for a living, but I don't really think the pay is unreasonably low.

unless food and travel are also covered and they only work 8 hours on each day that seems really low to be honest

On the other hand $150 to hang out w/ magic players and officiate some nerds is reasonable, depends on how fun the judging part is to you I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Now is a great time to get into force of will which p much plays the same but is improved. Before all your cardboard is worthless. :getin:

Just repeating this because of how true it is.

• Locked thread