Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

RBA Starblade posted:

He has a jacket now!

He's had one since Empire Strikes Back. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Empress Theonora posted:

He's had one since Empire Strikes Back. :colbert:

This one's new!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes in the sense that nobody's going to say "the director, producer, writers, artists, technicians, and army of interns who created this movie" instead of "the movie". My mistake was not noticing who wrote that because the ignore list doesn't work when writing a reply.
The movie and the people who created it are not the same thing, and intent cannot be detected through a work itself.

Especially when you're ascribing that intent to Literally Hundreds of people. Hundreds of people have not cohesively intended anything.

Your actual mistake, imo, is implying it's possible to detect/ascribe intent in a film with seventeen different co-writers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Compare 'oh no he's screaming but now he's gone, I guess we're onto this scene of a lady doing something' and you immediately forget, to a lingering shot of this:

holy poo poo tell them everything you know

Did anyone notice the torture droid floating in the interrogation room when Kylo was mind raping Poe? I'm pretty sure it was off to the right and behind Kylo. Which implies that prior to the scene Poe got poked a few times and still managed to resist telling Kylo anything before he peeled his brain open like a Mandalorian orange.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Icon-Cat posted:

Can someone explain to me the following argument? It goes something like this: "JJ Abrams had to retread the OT and do a soft reboot because so many people were disappointed in the prequels. The next movies can be more original / creative."

Why is this the case?

What if TFA hadn't done any of that stuff, but _still had been_ a sequel to ROTJ that prequel detractors considered to have good acting, good dialogue, good visuals even without making frequent callbacks to the OT? Would that have been a franchise-ending disappointment? "Well, I liked the new characters and the fights were good, but it didn't have a Death Star and none of the BB-8 plot reminded me of ANH. gently caress JJ, gently caress Disney!"

Disney retread the OT because that's what fans wanted and Disney is incredibly conservative. There's actually no reason why they will be more original in the future.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

My take on midichlorians was that the prequels existed in an age of governance and science and thus things like the force were ordered and categorized versus the original trilogy where power was derived from might and likewise the force existed as a nebulous entity.

That's essentially correct. The PT is an era where the Jedi and the Force are just facts of life. The OT is an era where both those things have fallen into the realm of myth.

The PT is to the OT as The Silmarillion is to The Lord of the Rings. One is about a time when gods walked the earth like it was no big deal, and consorted in vast halls, playing politics with each other and with their mortal subjects; Heaven itself was an actual island off the western coast. The other is about a time when the gods have retreated from the world and become articles of faith rather than fact; and Heaven has been removed to another plane of existence.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

computer parts posted:

Disney retread the OT because that's what fans wanted and Disney is incredibly conservative. There's actually no reason why they will be more original in the future.
In E8, instead of "Luke, I am your father" we will get "Rey, you are my daughter".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

The movie and the people who created it are not the same thing, and intent cannot be detected through a work itself.

I disagree, whether the art is made by one or one million. You don't think a visual or audio cue or flourish can evoke anything? When General Turbohitler gave his very rousing speech what do you think the artists intended you to think of the First Order? Any thoughts come to mind with those outfits and banners? The movie is the product of people. People can express themselves through artistic means. Sometimes they even try to say something. While the statement "a movie can't want" is cute, it's also largely meaningless as a result.

e: And while there may be seventeen co-writers, I bet someone or some group has final say on what goes in.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 22, 2015

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Anyone complaining that TFA treads too much of the same ground as ANH forgets the (intended) cyclical stories of Star Wars. Things are going to rhyme, guys, sorry.

It was true for Lucas and the prequels and,

computer parts posted:

will be true for this trilogy. Ren will strike back!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

RBA Starblade posted:

I disagree, whether the art is made by one or one million. You don't think a visual or audio cue or flourish can evoke anything? When General Turbohitler gave his very rousing speech what do you think the artists intended you to think of the First Order? Any thoughts come to mind with those outfits and banners? The movie is the product of people. People can express themselves through artistic means. Sometimes they even try to say something. While the statement "a movie can't want" is cute, it's also largely meaningless as a result.

So the dozens of artists who did the work on that scene all had the exact same intent? How do you know this? Can you list who did everything and their particular thoughts on the First Order?

This is an amazing ability you have. I wish I could read the minds of dozens of people based on a film they worked on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

So the dozens of artists who did the work on that scene all had the exact same intent? How do you know this? Can you list who did everything and their particular thoughts on the First Order?

I'm sorry I had this thought while you were typing. I'm really bad about that lately.

"And while there may be seventeen co-writers, I bet someone or some group has final say on what goes in. "

So, what do you think? Anything evocative about that scene?

quote:

I wish I could read the minds of dozens of people based on a film they worked on.

The Force is strong in my family.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I read that as "Turboshitter" and now I can't stop giggling because I am a child.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Jack2142 posted:

In regards to the piloting, I understand why she is gifted most force sensitives seem to be naturally good pilots, however at least with Luke he actually had flown before the death star attack in his skyhopper stuff on Tatooine, with his friend Biggs who went off and got official training and still admitted Luke was a solid pilot. Whereas Reyy never had until piloting the Falcon and was doing crazy poo poo in it compared to anything Luke did. Her knowing how to fix poo poo on it made perfect sense though since she was a Scavenger and the Falcon is mostly scaved parts.

Luke sneaking on the death star is a bit on the wait what side back then and it makes sense Reyy would do a better job sneaking around starkiller base. I guess my only issue is her piloting skills which seem to come out of nowhere, also the special connection to the force feels a bit Mary Sueish, but if its needed and explained more in the later movies I would be fine with it.

She straight up says "I've flown before but never like that" and when Finn says they need a pilot she says "we have one" referring to herself.

It's not like she's never flown before, she's just never crushed it in such dramatic fashion.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hbomberguy posted:

This is an amazing ability you have. I wish I could read the minds of dozens of people based on a film they worked on.

Its ok - the prequels were bad movies. Just accept it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jack2142 posted:

Your right him getting shot with the bowcaster and such made it at least reasonable Finn and Rey could hold their own I actually really liked that bit. I just didn't like that Reyy despite never using a lightsaber before was able to defeat him. I liked the fight against Finn because it showed him clearly outmatched by Ren even though Ren was wounded, it felt like he was toying with him until he got decently cut by Finn then finished Finn pretty quickly like Vader v. Luke or Dooku v. Anakin in the Clone Wars. I understand why Rey did well in the fight I guess I just felt surprised she overpowered Ren in the fight by the end. It just felt surprising she would beat Ren in the first film rather than build into it with some training from Luke. I guess that was mostly an initial shock reaction at this overall thinking back the scene works well, if you consider he was hurt and was trying to do the whole JOIN ME that darksiders have a bad habit of doing.

You also have to make note that Kylo Ren, while gifted, is still a student of the Force himself. Killing his father was apparently the final test he needed in order to truly commit himself to the dark side and have Snoke complete his training.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

turtlecrunch posted:

The prequels already had a tough job just in concept: they had to make the tragic transformation of a dumb little kid into the coolest villain of all time (but notably, still a villain and a murderer and stuff) into a rollicking family adventure, and the audience already knows the ending the entire time. Why even bother making it? I think the answer is money.

It's why Disney made TFA

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

AndyElusive posted:

Did anyone notice the torture droid floating in the interrogation room when Kylo was mind raping Poe? I'm pretty sure it was off to the right and behind Kylo. Which implies that prior to the scene Poe got poked a few times and still managed to resist telling Kylo anything before he peeled his brain open like a Mandalorian orange.

This is also implied by Kylo strolling in and saying "well they didn't get anything out of you so now it's my turn :smuggo:".

Josh Lyman posted:

The PT didn't have to start with Anakin as a kid. In fact, they did t have to focus on him at all.

But it did and it ended up not telling us anything at all that wasn't already covered by "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father".

Davros1 posted:

It's why Disney made TFA

Obviously, but popular opinion is that we got something good out of it this time.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Davros1 posted:

It's why Disney made TFA

I like how nerds become radical anti-capitalists the moment it involves movie franchises or downloadable videogame content. A leftist revolution in lil baby steps.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hbomberguy posted:

It doesn't matter one gently caress to the story what was going through a set designer's head when he nailed a bunch of 2x4's together to make the millennium falcon. The story is defined by the screenwriter, then the director makes a film out of it by telling everyone what to do. It's not more complicated than that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

turtlecrunch posted:

But it did and it ended up not telling us anything at all that wasn't already covered by "Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father".

Yes it did. For one thing, it told us why he did it. That strikes me as pretty major.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cnut the Great posted:

Yes it did. For one thing, it told us why he did it. That strikes me as pretty major.

I couldn't decipher one single fathomable reason for Anakin turning to the dark side after watching those movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I couldn't decipher one single fathomable reason for Anakin turning to the dark side after watching those movies.

The reason is Anakin is incredibly stupid and gullible.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

turtlecrunch posted:

It told us that Darth Vader wasn't simply seduced by his lust for Dark Side power. It told us that the petulance, the moral confusion, the self-doubt, and the attachment to his family we see from him in the original films were always a part of him from the beginning. It told us that Obi-Wan and Yoda weren't just misinformed about the possibility of turning away from evil; rather, they believed Vader couldn't be saved because of a combination of lifelong indoctrination and lived experience.

It told us that Yoda wasn't always the wizened sage he appeared to be; Yoda acted the part in the prequels, but was always preoccupied with seeing what lies ahead, the very thing he eventually warns Luke against. It told us that Obi-Wan was indeed partly to blame for Anakin's fall, but only to the extent that all Jedi were: Obi-Wan and all the Jedi embraced a narrow-minded dogma that made them blind to real human needs, and even though Obi-Wan cared more for his apprentice's feelings than the other Jedi Masters did, he ultimately fell in line.

It told us that an order of noble heroes was brought down by its own arrogance. It told us that democracy was subverted by engineered crises, corporate greed, and political factionalism. It told us of the dangers of fighting proxy wars where no one cares about the lives of the faceless soldiers. It told us how important it is to recognize the potential of "lesser" beings. It told us to pause and check that we are truly serving the cause of justice.

It also told a bad fart joke.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hbomberguy posted:

What makes you like Luke? Is it the shot of him looking wistfully at the sun that one time? Or maybe the one line about him wanting to be a Jedi, or the way he squeals happily when he scores a hit?

Is Anakin a worse character because he squeals wrong, or doesn't look at sunsets the way you like?

Luke acts like an actual human being, yeah

Zoran posted:

It told us that an order of noble heroes was brought down by its own arrogance. It told us that democracy was subverted by engineered crises, corporate greed, and political factionalism. It told us of the dangers of fighting proxy wars where no one cares about the lives of the faceless soldiers. It told us how important it is to recognize the potential of "lesser" beings. It told us to pause and check that we are truly serving the cause of justice.

It told us these things in the lamest and most boring way possible and it's a story that's been told before infinitely better including within its own franchise

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

He didn't like sand or sand people.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hbomberguy posted:

It really isn't nearly this complicated.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I find it very weird that people are saying "The prequels were good because everything was working as intended!" but are also saying "You can't tell what parts of the movie were intended or not!"

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Just want to point out the text on the syringe that I've never noticed before. Long time ago in a galaxy far away my rear end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

I find it very weird that people are saying "The prequels were good because everything was working as intended!" but are also saying "You can't tell what parts of the movie were intended or not!"

I'm not arguing intent at all.

I think the prequels are good because they tell an interesting story with some dazzling visuals (not just effects, but some cool composition and art design evoking The Glory that Was the Republic just as it falls apart) and a few unexpected twists (the Clone Wars being the means by which the Republic becomes the Empire), and while they have some clunky dialogue and bad acting so do a lot of the serials and B-movies they're based on and I've never let that stop my enjoyment of any of those.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That sounds like a personal problem. It was pretty obvious. These are kid's movies, you know. They're not that hard to understand.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

There's a scene in Phantom Menace in the desert where Qui-Gon yells "Anakin get DOWN" as he's about to get run over and I think it would've been cooler if instead Darth Maul just annihilated the kid with his speeder bike before putting on some sunglasses and peeling out in the opposite direction

Then when Qui-Gon is looking sad over Anakin's lifeless body and sad music is playing Darth Maul flies over the ridge and hits Qui-Gon killing him instantly. Then maybe he does a wheelie (if possible)

Anyways the new Star Wars is good

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

He didn't want his wife to die, and he'd do anything to prevent that. Dude he trusts says "The dark side can prevent folks from dying."

It's quite simple.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

The reason is Anakin is incredibly stupid and gullible.

The dark side isn't a political alignment. Anakin allowed his rage and fear to dominate his actions since halfway through Clones. He's super afraid, and that makes him super angry, and in the end he super destroys all of his relationships. He's constantly afraid he's not good enough or strong enough to protect his the current focus of his abandonment issues, and so touchy about his self esteem that Obi-Wan's gentle advice wounds him. The only mentor figure who (he feels) supports him feeds his fear of abandonment and frustration with his coworkers. Eventually the boss he resents triggers his psychological issues and he snaps, kills his boss and goes on a workplace rampage. His creepy relationship with his wife, who marries him even after he confesses war crimes to her, ends in screaming and domestic violence.

It's not a super complicated story.

The Los Angeles Tribune posted:

Apparently fearing that his wife would leave him like his estranged mother, and frustrated after being denied a promotion, Major Anakin Skywalker brought his AR-15 to work and opened fire on his coworkers. He then shot his pregnant wife as she tried to intervene, before finally being subdued in a protracted shootout. He is currently in the hospital in critical condition. Friends said they were shocked at the decorated veteran and father of two's violent rampage last Tuesday.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

zelah posted:

She straight up says "I've flown before but never like that" and when Finn says they need a pilot she says "we have one" referring to herself.

It's not like she's never flown before, she's just never crushed it in such dramatic fashion.

I honestly thought the line was her saying she had never flown before, so my bad.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 23, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's spelled out explicitly.
The prequels are poo poo but come on, they weren't exactly hard to understand.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Force Awakens was kind of a mess. It moves at such an aggressive pace that none of the locations or characters being relentlessly introduced one after another get a chance to establish themselves. I felt very similarly about The Dark Knight Rises, where it felt like you were watching a 3-hour trailer because the script was too bloated to allow for a normal narrative rhythm and editing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yo guys i really liked the new movie and all but the script kinda bothered me. Not the actual dialog itself because that was good, but it was all the little quips and one liners that the characters kept saying. It took me out of movie a bit when in almost every scene somebody had some witty remark or comeback to say.

To be fair though, i'll take the slight overabundance Joss Whedon-ism over Jar Jar any day of the week.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
If your characters aren't gifable with little subtitles on the gif in this day and age you might as well pack it in.

However I fully support all quippings in this movie.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Deakul posted:

It's spelled out explicitly.
The prequels are poo poo but come on, they weren't exactly hard to understand.

What I said was this: I couldn't decipher one single fathomable reason for Anakin turning to the dark side after watching those movies.

I"m not saying reasons weren't explicitly presented, what I'm saying is that I have no context for them. Anakin's motivations were completely opaque, none of his reactions to the events in the story created a consistent basis for character. I know he turned to the dark side because a bunch of poo poo happened in the story. I have no idea who he was, who he turned into or why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Of course Max Landis would say Rey is a Mary Sue and claim Luke isn't. I'm trying my best to not let his opinions irritate me but gently caress it's so hard, lmao.

• Locked thread