Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

i WISH we had batch files to build all our stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phobeste posted:

hmm

does anyone here actually use CLion

i do for some personal emulator projects i'm trying to add assembly nonsense to, i just checked and it has "Productivity Guide" too

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

someone explain to me how to make intellij not freeze every thirty seconds

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

someone explain to me how to make intellij not freeze every thirty seconds

are you running the version that's bundled with its own tuned version of Java? because that seems to solve a lot of people's problems

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

are you running the version that's bundled with its own tuned version of Java? because that seems to solve a lot of people's problems

i can't seem to find a bundled one for windows. i also have this problem with every other jetbrains product (including resharper, which i don't think uses java).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

i can't seem to find a bundled one for windows. i also have this problem with every other jetbrains product (including resharper, which i don't think uses java).

the only time that's ever happened to me was when the codebase I was using was a massive arcane hellpit with a million dependencies that it had to index and scan, but idk there might be a bug or something

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
bundling special jre builds is weird. its weird right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Barnyard Protein posted:

nah it's how most modern Java desktop things work

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
is there a good reason to do it though? i mean, i can see how your application might depend on a certain jre version to account for bugs or features, but is that The Way Things Should Be?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It still is weird, just that Java is so poo poo the only way for a reliable deployment is to always bundle a JRE that is known to work.

For a long time there is some horrendous Java based installer that bundles a JRE for a server app, I think Oracle still does this, but the bundled JRE does not work with 16-bit displays at all.

It's like having Java apps always bundle the dependent JARs, the entire concept of shared resources and security issues is completely beyond the scope of thought.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
shouldn't have to in an ideal world, but it's not hard to imagine that they might get good perf gains by tuning the jvm to their workloads. otoh it could be one of the reasons eclipse is so unstable

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Barnyard Protein posted:

bandwidth is cheap
storage is cheap
dependency hell is expensive

if you're doing desktop shiz i guess you can't distribute everything as a container or VM, but that's the ideal

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ragg posted:

It's probably cause I'm retarded but I feel like it's so easy to put Spacemacs, helm in particular, into some hosed up state where I have to restart emacs. Also I really really hate that messages pop up in the minibuffer so I can't see what in the hell I'm typing. I'm constantly confused as to which of spacemacs 9001 states and mini-states I'm currently in.

this is weird because i've never ever had an experience even remotely similar to this with spacemacs. maybe i knew too much emacs going into it though? i dunno.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
lol if you use anything but actual real vim, hasn't anyone learned by now that "we have vim bindings!!!" actually means "we support almost-accurate versions of about 1/3 of the vim commands (spoilers: it's the 1/3 you don't care about plus hjkl)"?

also terminal vim supports the mouse just fine, :set mouse=a and have at it if you insist

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

everyones mistake here is that they're using emacs or vim
if you ever come to a point where you're editing text files on a command line you have majorly hosed up my friend, please asses the actions that have brought you up to this point

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Phobeste posted:

does anyone here actually use CLion

yeah, i like it a bunch

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Awia posted:

if you ever come to a point where you're editing text files on a command line you have majorly hosed up my friend, please asses the actions that have brought you up to this point

where do command lines come into it? emacs is a modern gui application that merely happens to include a text-mode ui as a fallback

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Soricidus posted:

where do command lines come into it? emacs is a modern gui application that merely happens to include a text-mode ui as a fallback

alright, i didn't even know that because im not a turpo sperg that uses linux as a desktop os
my point stands

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Soricidus posted:

emacs is a modern gui application

well, it's a gui application anyway

i have such a love hate relationship with it

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

this is weird because i've never ever had an experience even remotely similar to this with spacemacs. maybe i knew too much emacs going into it though? i dunno.

From more messing around it seems like it just fucks up the buffer/window or whatever the appropriate Emacs terminology is that Helm is showing the results in, and I need to close it. I'd still really like to have messages not show up in the minibuffer while I'm typing commands in it, that's my number one pet peeve right now I guess.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Awia posted:

Emacs is a GUI editor first and foremost at this point I'd say. Still I kinda agree with this, I'm never going to have the patience to learn all the little tricks and tips that save me half a second here and there, especially since the time I spend actually typing and editing crap is miniscule compared to the vast amounts of time I spend wondering what in the hell I'm doing and questioning my life choices.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Phobeste posted:

well, it's a gui application anyway

i have such a love hate relationship with it

it can use gtk3, that's pretty modern if you ask me :v:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol if you use anything but actual real vim, hasn't anyone learned by now that "we have vim bindings!!!" actually means "we support almost-accurate versions of about 1/3 of the vim commands (spoilers: it's the 1/3 you don't care about plus hjkl)"?

also terminal vim supports the mouse just fine, :set mouse=a and have at it if you insist

wow look how wrong you are, have you ever even tried evil-mode

probably the best part imo is that it shares the paste buffer with the host os, unlike vim which makes you copy it to a special buffer. it's probably the thing I miss most about any other vim emulation because they get that stupid misfeature "right"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
set clipboard=unnamed

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i agree it should be the default, but it's hardly the stupidest default that needs to be fixed in vim

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I like editing in the command line in tmux because i can jump between my editor and the command line with a keystroke

and evil mode owns, it supports all of the things i know how to do in vim

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
if I ever get a tiling wm going i might switch to gui emacs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

ant-based netbeans platform

:barf:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
have any of you nerds tried vs code yet?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

agreed :(

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Plorkyeran posted:

i agree it should be the default, but it's hardly the stupidest default that needs to be fixed in vim

I actually prefer vim's clipboard being separate by default. the + register is always there if you need to paste to/from the system keyboard (unless your build doesn't have clipboard support)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

elite_garbage_man posted:

it's not great. omnisharp likes to crash or otherwise turn my computer into a jet plane. if you're using mono it's ok but if you try and use aspnet core stuff then strap in for a wild ride

also I don't think you can compile stuff yet, just JIT compilation, so everything is devastatingly slow

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Better than atom in my experience. Probably the best sublime text-alike

Only used it with Typescript though so

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i rarely do javascript but i have been experimenting with elm for a while and vs code is the best editor for it i've found

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Ragg posted:

It's probably cause I'm retarded but I feel like it's so easy to put Spacemacs, helm in particular, into some hosed up state where I have to restart emacs. Also I really really hate that messages pop up in the minibuffer so I can't see what in the hell I'm typing. I'm constantly confused as to which of spacemacs 9001 states and mini-states I'm currently in.

i started doing the vimtutor in spurts at work and it is making more sense, but the spacemacs part of it is still really weird

probably i am going to conclude this experience by just using vim in the future but i'm going to flail around for a couple more weeks before then

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Soricidus posted:

emacs is a modern gui application

let's see a screenshot please and tia

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

hackbunny posted:

let's see a screenshot please and tia

[img-bigwhiteboxwithtitlebarandmodeline]

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
I've been writing some small programs in C using vs code under linux (desktop obviously) and i'm digging it so far.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

probably i am going to conclude this experience by just using vim in the future but i'm going to flail around for a couple more weeks before then

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

I've been writing some small programs in C using vs code under linux (desktop obviously) and i'm digging it so far.

traitor

• Locked thread