Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

MREs have existed for a long time and also humans in industrialized society get to choose their own diet, unlike your dog, who given an option would prefer turds and roadkill.

I think MREs are like little packets of different "foods" designed to simulate normal meals, not bags of soldier kibble. Most people would not enjoy such a diet (including me) but there's a fair proportion of people that would benefit. Mostly people who don't care about food flavor and can't be bothered to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BarbarianElephant posted:

I think MREs are like little packets of different "foods" designed to simulate normal meals, not bags of soldier kibble.

Depends on which country they come from! There's a thread on this in GWS - you might be interested in the Eastern European offerings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I always just assume extremely picky eater are just mentally ill or something. Specially people who just "hate food" in general.

Also I used to loving hate cilantro, was sure I had the gene. It tastes soapy, I hate the smell. I'd pick it out of dishes, it would ruin anything it was in. I still don't really care for it but after having some amazing laksa that was loaded with cilantro something snapped in my brain and I suddenly became at peace with cilantro. I don't pick it out of things anymore, I guess even in this extreme case I was able to acquire a taste.

So yeah, cilantro haters, just keep at it, have something insanely delicious that happens to have it (like a laksa) and one day something will change.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

I do not understand food worship, love of food, foodies, food culture, or food snobs. Why spend $50 on a loving steak when you can get a $10 one at IHOP? And so what if I like putting A1 and hot sauce on my steak, I payed for it, I'll eat it the way I like it, I'm not insulting the cook. Who cares? Why blow that much money on one meal? Same thing with alcohol. Vodka is vodka, the cheap stuff is just as good as the regular stuff. It tastes practically the same. Why is all of what is considered "half way decent" the really expensive stuff otherwise you have no taste? Are people just trying to look sophisticated and cultured to impress others or what? Same with beer, "don't drink THAT beer! It's piss water! Spend $7 on this one glass of craft beer instead." To me, inexpensive beer like Miller and Coors is perfectly fine.

Food is just one of many ways to appreciate and understand the world. A love of food is a love of sharing a visceral and pleasurable experience with others, it's a love of learning about another culture, and it's a love of artistry and ingredients.

And no, foodies aren't necessarily just faking it. Generally, there is a difference between high quality food and low quality food. Good food has quality ingredients (in-season, well-developed, and either fresh or well-aged, depending on the particular ingredient), good craftsmanship (controlling time and temperature well to bring out the best in said ingredients), and a good level of complexity (layers of flavor and scents that evolve one after another as you chew).

Just recently I had some really nice Iberico ham. It's made from specially bred black pigs in Spain, and they're fed on a diet of acorns. The luster and quality of the fat is very distinctive, the meat has a very deep wine-red appearance, and it has a very nutty flavor and aroma from being acorn-fed. The friend who shared it with me gave me some red wine to sip it with, and when paired with the wine the flavor of the ham evolved so that the nuttiness was even more distinctive. It was very very nice.

One of the dishes I personally like to cook is Chinese Ma Po tofu, a specialty of the Szechuan province. Szechuan cuisine has a very distinctive flavor profile referred to as "Ma La," or "numbing & spicy." It uses chilis for the heat, and Szechuan peppercorns (the fruit of the prickly ash tree) for the numbing quality. When you eat Ma Po tofu the Szechuan peppercorns have a very distinctive flavor you don't find anywhere else, and it numbs your tongue slightly, which ends up hiding the heat of the chili peppers. This is when you taste the meaty savory salty goodness of the sauce and the silkiness of the tofu on your tongue. Then the numbness wears off, and the heat of the chili paste gradually blooms in your mouth to a peak intensity and that's when you gobble up more of the tofu to numb it again. There's also a neat story behind the creation of the dish about a traveler and an ugly old woman, but I'll leave that for another time.

Sorry if your eyes kinda glazed over there, but this really is what food-lovers experience when they're eating. People who appreciate fine cuisine just really like unraveling complex sensual experiences and sharing such experiences with others. It's a way of engaging with the world, with different cultures, and with your own body in new and exciting ways that is much more socially acceptable to do in public than sex or masturbation.

EDIT: Food is also a way of showing love for other people. Just a couple weeks ago my friends came down with a cold, so I made a traditional savory Chinese porridge for them to help them get better. It had some nice medicinal spices in there, had that thick "stick-to-your ribs" quality, and it really warms you up from the inside.

Also being able to cook well is a great way to get people to have sex with you.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 22, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand why people like different TV shows or pay money to get special channels other than the grainy signal on my rabbit ears. TV is TV, you turn it on and stare. I don't get people who think one show is a better quality or more entertaining than another, or watch new things. I think they're just trying to seem snooty and fancy.

The same for music. It's all just vibrations in the air. How does one sound apparently sound better than another? How do music snobs really tell the difference between a car alarm and a symphony? They can't tell the difference, it's all snobbery and a sort of "emperors new clothes" effect.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShadowCatboy posted:

Food is just one of many ways to appreciate and understand the world. A love of food is a love of sharing a visceral and pleasurable experience with others, it's a love of learning about another culture, and it's a love of artistry and ingredients.

And no, foodies aren't necessarily just faking it. Generally, there is a difference between high quality food and low quality food. Good food has quality ingredients (in-season, well-developed, and either fresh or well-aged, depending on the particular ingredient), good craftsmanship (controlling time and temperature well to bring out the best in said ingredients), and a good level of complexity (layers of flavor and scents that evolve one after another as you chew).

Just recently I had some really nice Iberico ham. It's made from specially bred black pigs in Spain, and they're fed on a diet of acorns. The luster and quality of the fat is very distinctive, the meat has a very deep wine-red appearance, and it has a very nutty flavor and aroma from being acorn-fed. The friend who shared it with me gave me some red wine to sip it with, and when paired with the wine the flavor of the ham evolved so that the nuttiness was even more distinctive. It was very very nice.

One of the dishes I personally like to cook is Chinese Ma Po tofu, a specialty of the Szechuan province. Szechuan cuisine has a very distinctive flavor profile referred to as "Ma La," or "numbing & spicy." It uses chilis for the heat, and Szechuan peppercorns (the fruit of the prickly ash tree) for the numbing quality. When you eat Ma Po tofu the Szechuan peppercorns have a very distinctive flavor you don't find anywhere else, and it numbs your tongue slightly, which ends up hiding the heat of the chili peppers. This is when you taste the meaty savory salty goodness of the sauce and the silkiness of the tofu on your tongue. Then the numbness wears off, and the heat of the chili paste gradually blooms in your mouth to a peak intensity and that's when you gobble up more of the tofu to numb it again. There's also a neat story behind the creation of the dish about a traveler and an ugly old woman, but I'll leave that for another time.

Sorry if your eyes kinda glazed over there, but this really is what food-lovers experience when they're eating. People who appreciate fine cuisine just really like unraveling complex sensual experiences and sharing such experiences with others. It's a way of engaging with the world, with different cultures, and with your own body in new and exciting ways that is much more socially acceptable to do in public than sex or masturbation.

EDIT: Food is also a way of showing love for other people. Just a couple weeks ago my friends came down with a cold, so I made a traditional savory Chinese porridge for them to help them get better. It had some nice medicinal spices in there, had that thick "stick-to-your ribs" quality, and it really warms you up from the inside.

Also being able to cook well is a great way to get people to have sex with you.
^^ Yeah I've never experienced anything like that. That's what eating food is like for everyone?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why people like different TV shows or pay money to get special channels other than the grainy signal on my rabbit ears. TV is TV, you turn it on and stare. I don't get people who think one show is a better quality or more entertaining than another, or watch new things. I think they're just trying to seem snooty and fancy.

The same for music. It's all just vibrations in the air. How does one sound apparently sound better than another? How do music snobs really tell the difference between a car alarm and a symphony? They can't tell the difference, it's all snobbery and a sort of "emperors new clothes" effect.
Food is a need, entertainment is not. Also if you watch the wrong tv shows you don't get health problems or watching disorders. Also TV shows are pre made and easy to access, food is not and a lot of work to put together and clean up. One you have to do, the one you don't if you don't want to. Food is also much more expensive.

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 22, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just feel really sad for anyone who doesn't get immense joy from eating. When you eat something good it's way better than sex, or the most moving music, or the most exciting movie. I don't know if it's depression, a mental disorder, or an actual physical defect but I can't imagine living like that.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You can't be serious. Food is the highest most immense pleasure there is?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ausmund posted:

^^ Yeah I've never experienced anything like that. That's what eating food is like for everyone?

Yeah, pretty much. Not regularly, but the best meals I've had are definitely better than the worst sex I've had.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
I think I eat like poo poo, so maybe I can answer the question from the thread title. Today I've eaten a good sized pizza, a bagel and cream cheese, a small pot of coffee, and 4 beers, and I'm thinking about going for greasy chinese takeout. This is a little worse eating than my regular diet, but just a little.

How do I do it? I exercise a lot. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh about 175, and I spend a good 15 hours a week doing some vigorous sweating. Lately I've been running a lot (7 miles today and 25 in the last week), but when the weather is better, I ride my bike 250-300 miles a week, plus hiking or tennis or basketball or whatever. I just like to move around a lot.

I do love to eat food, and I think I can appreciate a good meal, but most of the time I'm too tired or busy or inept or lazy to make it for myself, so I eat cheap easy poo poo, and, post-workout, the more sugar and carbs the better. I go through four or five thousand calories most days, and I eat whatever is easy and tastes good. I know most of the time it's not really nutritious, but so far, so good. I put poo poo in my body, and I feel pretty good most of the time. I think you just have to work out a lot to get away with it.

swimgus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 22, 2015

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

More or less, though it takes a little experience to really pick up on complex dishes and people who don't have much experience with a variety of ingredients may not be able to tease apart and notice all the complex or subtle flavors.

And yes, there definitely is a difference between high quality and low quality ingredients. If you've ever had a really bad wine you'll notice that it generally has one or more of these qualities:

1. It's too sweet: The result of an incomplete or botched fermentation and all that sugar is just cloying on the tongue.
2. It's vinegary: Another result of botched fermentation. The wine's gone past proper fermentation and is starting to turn into vinegar.
3. Cooked egg aftertaste/aroma: The result of adding too many sulfites as a preservative/antioxidant.
4. One-Note: No complexity to it. There's just a very flat flavor.

I once had a very nice glass of riesling. When I first poured it and tasted it it had a very crisp smell and flavor: like freshly cut apples or pears. Yet after about ten minutes the wine began to warm up and the flavor evolved into something more tart, like apricots or peaches. It's often said that "wine is a living thing," in that it evolves over time as you drink it, and the flavors can change depending on what you pair it with. I've been trying for ages to find another bottle like that. And you know what? It only costs ten, fifteen bucks tops. You don't need to break the bank to get a good culinary experience.

Also I once had a boyfriend who was similarly disinterested in poncy food (this was due more to his down-to-earth working class attitude and less because he had a case of the sadbrains), until I started cooking for him and we ate out together. I taught him how to eat Chinese soup dumplings (which he grew to love), and I once made a really nice white truffle risotto for him and now he's really learned to appreciate more complex flavor profiles.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Enfys posted:

Except all the claims about Soylent are pretty bogus because you can't actually replace all the nutrients/vitamins/minerals etc that a person needs with a drink whose main ingredient is essentially artificial sugar. It's like how Ensure is touted as a meal replacement despite being expensive sugar water.

The human digestive system flat out isn't designed to process a mass quantity of nutrients in one go, and especially not in liquid food. Breaking down solid food (from chewing straight through the intestines to pooping) is a critical part of healthy human digestion.

Another issue is the maltodextrin, which is the main ingredient. Diet companies love it because it's really cheap, massively extends shelf life, and they can say it isn't sugar despite it being hydrolyzed corn starch with double the glycemic index of regular sugar. People say that its value is that it's so easy for the body to absorb, but that's a bad thing when it comes to artificial sugars. That's likely the reason why in animal studies, the mice ended up showing signs of hypertension, increased blood sugar, and other problems.

Our digestive tracts are also really poorly equipped to process synthetic versions of vitamins. Soylent contains basically the cheapest forms of vitamins, which the human body isn't designed to absorb - like D2, which technically allows it to meet the RDA requirements for our vitamin D needs, but our bodies are really bad at converting D2 into active forms of Vitamin D that we use (and it's taxing on the kidneys to do it). Cheap, synthetic forms of vitamins that we can't absorb just become more garbage for your liver and kidneys to sort out. Another big issue is protein - soylent uses primarily rice (and a bit of soy) for protein, but these contain mostly non-essential forms of protein and very little of the essential proteins. Our body can make non-essential proteins itself, but the essential ones must be acquired through our diet. Much like with the vitamins, soylent provides adequate protein in a strictly by the numbers sense, but not in the way that our bodies really need or can use it.

You can't suddenly fool hundreds of thousands of years of evolution built upon gaining nutrients from eating food with a magic drink or pill. Just eat some food like the complex living organism you are. Even the sea cucumbers that just sit on a rock with tentacles out have to expend a bit of effort staying alive.

Try telling that to the pseudoscience thread, this is the effort post I've been meaning to type, they seem to think if it's not from a lab you couldn't get the doses scientifically perfect and natural stuff would be way more dangerous.

Yeah modern medicine and stuff is great, but its not just about ingredients, there are synergistic compounds that help you absorb stuff and make it gentle for your system, some stuff we aren't even sure how/if it actually works when broken down to tiny particles. We can measure it, yes, but stuff reacts to people differently.

People who eat badly can become infertile or have sickly deformed kids as well, its not just about you. It can be hard to afford and find quality stuff though in the real world.

Not to be one of those guys, but concerning wheat;
Wheat/plants don't want to be eaten and can produce compounds to make bugs/animals sick.
Grains and lots if food used to be sprouted or fermented somehow to counteract this and increase nutritional value.

There is a soylent thread and he got a bad reputation for unsanitary conditions and containments from his Chinese suppliers last I checked.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The way I've been looking at it lately after reading about soil, farming/livestock, gardening, and nutrition/fermenting is;

There is stuff in life, out of my control, that could ruin my life, but if I can eat good my body will be happy and healthy, which makes the rest of life easier.

I feel like poo poo when I eat bad and I haven't gotten there yet, but if at all possible I'd like to grow and consume my own food, alcohol and tobacco.

It would be a lot of work, but at least I'd know I wasn't unintentionally poisoning myself (besides tobacco and alcohol of course)

People are starting to pay for quality now more and more anyway, I could sell the excess or I'd be fine giving some away even.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ausmund posted:

You can't be serious. Food is the highest most immense pleasure there is?

I would describe it as a visceral pleasure, along with sex, physical exercise and some drugs. They are truly amazing sensations, and different from consuming media, which is a cerebral activity.

All that said, food also has an incredible cultural and personal importance to many people as well. It's the food of their nation. Or the food their parents made. Our olfactory sense which has a large effect on taste is also tied very strongly to our sense of memory, which means food can have very strong positive (or negative) associations. Christmas dinner recalls all previous christmases, for example.

Ausmund, would you like to try and share what I and many other people experience when eating food? I'd recommend smoking some weed and then performing some taste tests. Get stoned and then eat out at a decent tapas restaurant. (tapas is spanish cooking, lots of small appetizers served with wine. There's a lot of variety so good chances you will find something you like).

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 22, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

not a meal, not ready, can't be eaten

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

I'm just curious, man. Are you like, from the Midwest or something? Have you just not tried a really good pasta from a decent restaurant? Or authentic Chinese food? Or a really good Indian curry?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Ausmund posted:

I have been diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder
It's because his brain is broken. It's not because he hasn't had your favorite dindins.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ausmund, would you like to try and share what I and many other people experience when eating food? I'd recommend smoking some weed and then performing some taste tests. Get stoned and then eat out at a decent tapas restaurant. (tapas is spanish cooking, lots of small appetizers served with wine. There's a lot of variety so good chances you will find something you like).
Although I support legalizing weed, I hate it. Anytime I've smoked it, it just made me feel weird and uncomfortable. Food was the last thing on my mind. But don't get me wrong, I'll try food, and I'll be fine with it. I just think the need for food is more of a constant never ending problem and not one of "lifes greatest pleasures".

ShadowCatboy posted:

I'm just curious, man. Are you like, from the Midwest or something? Have you just not tried a really good pasta from a decent restaurant? Or authentic Chinese food? Or a really good Indian curry?
I'm working class and live east coast. I would not know the difference between chinese food and "authentic" chinese food, and doubt there is much of one other than the price.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The main reason I suggested weed is that it both increases appetite and makes it easier to concentrate on physical sensations. A friend of mine who doesn't have much interest in food (frequently forgets to eat or eats merely to keep himself going), becomes quite the food lover after a joint. Stay away if you aren't ok with the other side effects, of course.

From my limited experience, authentic chinese food is all the inedible bits of animals pickled or in broth. "Chinese" dishes like chop suey were invented wholesale by immigrants to satisfy american tastes.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 22, 2015

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fruits of the sea posted:

From my limited experience, authentic chinese food is all the inedible bits of animals pickled or in broth. "Chinese" dishes like chop suey were invented wholesale by immigrants to satisfy american tastes.

Authentic Cantonese cuisine (the one that's most Americanized) tends to have much more robust, meatier flavors than what you'd get at Panda express. There's also a much greater emphasis on texture and contrast. Also, your standard Chinese takeout tends to be greasy as an unwanted byproduct of a messy cooking process. On the other hand, if an authentic Chinese dish is oily, usually it's there intentionally to add a richer mouthfeel to the dish, like olive oil on hummus.

And yes there are deffo weird bits included. When I introduced my old boyfriend to Dim Sum for the first time I ordered all your standard dumplings and buns plus some chickens' feet in black bean sauce just to spook him a little. He tried it, said it wasn't half bad. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Terry Pratchett posted:

"When you see people that have recipes for pig's trotters it tells you something."
"What's that?"
"Some other bugger's getting the pig."

:v:

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Ausmund posted:

I'm working class and live east coast. I would not know the difference between chinese food and "authentic" chinese food, and doubt there is much of one other than the price.

The authentic stuff might well be cheaper actually, especially if you're in a Chinatown area (or actual China)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ShadowCatboy posted:

The Midwest gets an undeserved bad rap when it comes to food. I live out in the middle of flyover country, and I can get good ethnic food all over town, from creole to Thai with a side of real great street tacos.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ausmund posted:

Yeah this part is objectively wrong. Also good food has very little to do with price. Like if your brain is broke and you can't taste or enjoy food fully that's ok, but you don't need invent this vast conspiracy around it. You are impaired in some way, most people can very quickly tell good food from bad food. Nothing to do with money or class. Serve the food blind and good or "authentic" food will jump out at you.

For instance never in my life had I had cajun food. So I went to a highly rated cajun place out of town. Great location right on the water, the food was exciting because it was new but I wasn't that blown away. The place wasn't cheap and was always busy so it must be good?? Then I tried the same dish at a different place, not an explicitly cajun place but a place that always has a consistently good variety of food. It was all the same ingredients, but it was 300% better because the cooks added spices in different proportions and used better quality ingredients. I can't even imagine eating the bland version of this dish at the cajun place because the other one was so much better (it was also the same price but bigger).

Or with sushi. I mean how do you get sushi wrong? It's a bit of fish wrapped up in rice and seaweed. Well, people have strong opinions on their favourite sushi places. and once again I find it has little to do with price. My absolute favourite place also happens to be one of the cheapest places I've found. The consistancy and seasoning of the rice is very important, a lot of places don't make their sushi rice quite right, or their fish isn't as high quality as it could be, or they add too many sauces or the wrong sort of sauce. I'll eat and probably enjoy sushi from any old place, but I'll really get into it, really get excited if it's from my favourite place. Oddly enough some of the best sushi I ever had was from an exurban strip mall outside of Kiev Ukraine that specialized in fish. Attached to their fish market was a little take-out sushi place. I had already tried some Ukrainian sushi and noticed it was bland garbage and just assumed they didn't know how to make it there. Well, this fish market's sushi was amaaaaazing. It was "close your eyes, chew really slow because you want the experience to last forever" good. Also these two sushi places were about the same price.

Now there are people who think they are food snobs, just like some people think they are wine snobs but actually have no taste and just think expensive = better. I think a lot of that is in their heads, that most of their enjoyment is coming from the fact that they are buying something expensive so it must be good, or it's a way to signal your class to others. I've had some super fancy expensive meals that were quite good, and others that were absolutely not worth the 500% increase in price. There are rapidly diminishing returns when it comes to restaurant prices, at the upper ends you're paying for "the experience" (as in the decor, service) more than any objective improvement in the taste of things.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

In a way I almost envy you because you care so little about food that it's probably easier to stick to eating things that are good for you: "sigh, time to eat, better make sure my plate is 100% balanced and contains no crap because it's just sustenance and I don't enjoy it."

Is there not one food you really enjoy eating, to the point that you want it even when you're full, or that you would drive out to get some and satisfy the craving? I don't have a huge appetite and I mostly eat very well, but I have a huge sweet tooth and I couldn't imagine going more than a week without "need chocolate, feed me sugar" running through my mind in a very distracting manner.

Ausmund posted:

taste is perceived

Like I'm sure people would be floored if I said I'm fine with a Cheeseburger at Applebees, but I instead should be going to this impractical expensive restaurant to get a "decent" burger.

I don't think people think fast food burgers taste bad (although you might get someone saying "Applebees doesn't taste as good as Five Guys", it's somewhat subjective but there are same-priced foods that people will generally agree about), but they are a different experience from a gourmet burger. A cheeseburger with ketchup on it from a greasy spoon and a lamb burger with feta and a greek mayo on special bread can both be delicious, but for different reasons. Plus you have to worry about the former burger being fattier or made of pink slime or something. However steaks from places like iHop and Applebees do tend to be less tasty cuts that aren't as expertly cooked. Most people wouldn't pay $50 for a steak unless they considered themselves a gourmand, but $25 for one at a nice restaurant would be reasonable if they were really in the mood for something cooked just right.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Weldon Pemberton posted:

In a way I almost envy you because you care so little about food that it's probably easier to stick to eating things that are good for you: "sigh, time to eat, better make sure my plate is 100% balanced and contains no crap because it's just sustenance and I don't enjoy it."

Is there not one food you really enjoy eating, to the point that you want it even when you're full, or that you would drive out to get some and satisfy the craving? I don't have a huge appetite and I mostly eat very well, but I have a huge sweet tooth and I couldn't imagine going more than a week without "need chocolate, feed me sugar" running through my mind in a very distracting manner.

I really don't enjoy the feeling you get after overeating, so I mostly eat till I get to "not-hungry" then stop. Otherwise I feel slow and leaden. I don't really have those cravings, I guess. If I make cookies for my roommates and come down to the kitchen later and see them, I might snag one, but I wouldn't suddenly think "oh man, I really want some cookies right now!" and walk to the store for the express purpose of getting cookies. Or when I'm going to make dinner, I don't think "I've been wanting that chicken with the balsamic vinegar and tomatoes, I will make that" it's more like "I haven't had chicken for a while, maybe I should eat more protein? Also there's a deal on chicken today". It's why I find it quite odd to say that me eating salads a lot is "admirable" - it seems to me to be mostly a result of being lazy/stupid/not caring, and I'm not really giving much up. For me trading chips and pastries for salads wasn't much of a sacrifice, and it's not hard for me to maintain, but it seems for other people it's really hard to do.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I don't think people think fast food burgers taste bad (although you might get someone saying "Applebees doesn't taste as good as Five Guys", it's somewhat subjective but there are same-priced foods that people will generally agree about), but they are a different experience from a gourmet burger. A cheeseburger with ketchup on it from a greasy spoon and a lamb burger with feta and a greek mayo on special bread can both be delicious, but for different reasons. Plus you have to worry about the former burger being fattier or made of pink slime or something. However steaks from places like iHop and Applebees do tend to be less tasty cuts that aren't as expertly cooked. Most people wouldn't pay $50 for a steak unless they considered themselves a gourmand, but $25 for one at a nice restaurant would be reasonable if they were really in the mood for something cooked just right.
It's more like "poo poo, I need something tasty and filling, but also has some sort of nutrition. I guess some pizza with a salad would be okay? Aw gently caress, what am I going to do for breakfast tomorrow, I think I have some bagels left..." I just want the whole process to be over as fast as possible, I just don't care THAT much or think of food beyond that.

I guess my favorite food is Steak and Eggs? But I don't really think it's worth getting or cooking(I can and have). Cravings are for pregnant women. Also how can you want more of a certain food when you're full? Also sweets are garbage and eating them makes me feel lovely.

Like I'd be fine eating whatever, I just don't get caught up in all the intrinsic details. I actually never have really thought about eating or food this much before. I was reading this thread and found it interesting how other people's opinions and experiences differ from mine.

quote:

It was "close your eyes, chew really slow because you want the experience to last forever" good.
This has to be an exaggeration. Sounds like something out of an ad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ausmund posted:

You seem to have immense difficulty with this concept so let me re-iterate:

There's no grand charade. All of these people are saying all of these things because they genuinely believe them, not because there's some massive conspiracy centered around you.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

What's the best meal you've ever had, and how did it make you feel?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Relax, it's rhetorical.

litany of gulps posted:

What's the best meal you've ever had, and how did it make you feel?
Nothing really comes to mind... I guess lobster bisque as an appetizer to my surf and turf at red lobster and my feelings were "Hey this is pretty good."

Ausmund fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 23, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Ausmund posted:

Wow, shut up already. We've already established your hosed up brain, but no, you keep insisting that you're normal and it's everyone else that must be lying about their experiences because ???

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Subyng posted:

Wow, shut up already. We've already established your hosed up brain, but no, you keep insisting that you're normal and it's everyone else that must be lying about their experiences because ???
Easy, friend. It just sounded pretentious to me, that's all. And people lie or add details to their stories to make them more interesting and to get a conversation going. Like I'm sure that particular poster meant it, but really every single person ever has an absolutely genuine "OMFG to die for!" moment when they eat something they like? C'mon. Like there is people that can tolerate pain more than others, I'm sure the opposite is true for pleasure.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

Nothing really comes to mind... I guess lobster bisque as an appetizer to my surf and turf at red lobster and my feelings were "Hey this is pretty good."

See, everyone keeps jumping on the "brain messed up" thing, but this honestly just seems like exposure to me. "Hey this is pretty good" is probably about as normal a reaction to eating lobster bisque at Red Lobster as you can have.

Edit: It is a shame that your best meal came from a Red Lobster, though. Have you ever eaten a lobster tail?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm colour deficient but I don't infer that people who can tell red and green apart really well are just elitists, or that people who can see numbers in those colour blind tests are making it up. I mean how can it be, I can't see anything, this is insane they must be exagerating! They say the numbers jump out at them instantly, yet I don't see them at all so it cannot be.

No, I just accept that my eyes are a bit broken.

There is something a bit (or quite) broken with how your brain processes flavours or the enjoyment of eating or you just have a super weird attitude about food. This is not normal, most people get quite a lot of enjoyment out of eating. It's not normal but it's ok, you don't need to act shocked or constantly infer that it's all an act or some "rich people" thing. Like my colour problems, you might actually have something physically wrong with you that can not be fixed. Or it might be psychological, something an attitude change or therapy might solve. Or you're just fine the way you are. But stop acting so shocked that people like food and can taste the difference between good food and bad food. To most people good tastes and food are as obvious as the numbers in those colour blind tests, there's no trick or training (other than some acquired tastes), we're not making it up or exaggerating in any way. I'm sorry you can't or won't experience it.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

litany of gulps posted:

See, everyone keeps jumping on the "brain messed up" thing, but this honestly just seems like exposure to me. "Hey this is pretty good" is probably about as normal a reaction to eating lobster bisque at Red Lobster as you can have.

Edit: It is a shame that your best meal came from a Red Lobster, though. Have you ever eaten a lobster tail?
Like a surf and turf meal is a steak and lobster isn't it? I think lobster is over ratted and annoying to eat when you have to crack it open to get barley any meat. And it jsut tastes like butter anyway. But the bisque that's made from it is good.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Baronjutter posted:

I'm colour deficient but I don't infer that people who can tell red and green apart really well are just elitists, or that people who can see numbers in those colour blind tests are making it up. I mean how can it be, I can't see anything, this is insane they must be exagerating! They say the numbers jump out at them instantly, yet I don't see them at all so it cannot be.

No, I just accept that my eyes are a bit broken.

There is something a bit (or quite) broken with how your brain processes flavours or the enjoyment of eating or you just have a super weird attitude about food. This is not normal, most people get quite a lot of enjoyment out of eating. It's not normal but it's ok, you don't need to act shocked or constantly infer that it's all an act or some "rich people" thing. Like my colour problems, you might actually have something physically wrong with you that can not be fixed. Or it might be psychological, something an attitude change or therapy might solve. Or you're just fine the way you are. But stop acting so shocked that people like food and can taste the difference between good food and bad food. To most people good tastes and food are as obvious as the numbers in those colour blind tests, there's no trick or training (other than some acquired tastes), we're not making it up or exaggerating in any way. I'm sorry you can't or won't experience it.
With a color blind test you either see the number or you can't. There is no doubt. Taste is subjective.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Ausmund posted:

quote:

It was "close your eyes, chew really slow because you want the experience to last forever" good.

Actually this is what I did when I took my old BF to my favorite charcuterie in Boston for lunch. Now he was a navy guy, so his first instinct is to wolf down the food in front of him as fast as possible, but I asked him to slow down and take more measured bites and really savor it.

And yes, I did actually close my eyes and chew really slowly because I wanted the experience to last as long as possible. We had a tender pork shoulder pate embedded with spicy hints of green peppercorn and wrapped in bacon, several different cuts of cured pork each with a different flavor and texture. One of them I recall was pork cheek that had been seasoned with orange zest and some earthy spices (I think nutmeg?) that was really neat to pick up. There was also raw pulled mozzarella, and a smear of whole-grain mustard to go with the meat. Even the salad with tarragon and a mild vinaigrette was amazing at cutting the richness of the pork.

Thing is the portion was a little small for a big navy guy, so I also ordered their charcuterie pizza: a thin crust with a light layer of cheese sauce and a ton of different slices of cured pork meat. This was then topped off a pile of raw arugula, and dotted with caramelized sugar syrup. You got the rich salty cured pork, the pungent cheese, the fresh herbal greens cutting through it all, and the sweetness of the caramel that both enhances the pork and mutes the bitterness of the arugula. It's loving amazing and pretty much akin to sex on a plate.

My BF kinda laughed when he saw my reaction and joked that it seemed as if I was tasting food for the first time before. But despite his gruff self he admitted that it was really tasty and slowing down and savoring it really did help him appreciate the food in a whole new way, and he really did pick up the craftsmanship of the meal.

Jesus gently caress we need one of these in the Bay Area. If you guys are ever in Boston:

http://www.thesaltypig.com/

I recommend you go in at lunch for the "Salty Pig Board" and the "Salty Pig Pizza." Fuggin' divine.

P.S. Thanks for listening guys I know this thread isn't meant for foodie raves but fine cuisine is my joie de vivre.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

Like a surf and turf meal is a steak and lobster isn't it? I think lobster is over ratted and annoying to eat when you have to crack it open to get barley any meat. And it jsut tastes like butter anyway. But the bisque that's made from it is good.

Surf and turf can be all sorts of things. With lobster tail you can typically just scoop out a big pad of meat. I like to use my hands where possible, there's a certain visceral pleasure in tearing apart an animal and devouring the best pieces of it.

What's the fanciest meal you've ever had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ausmund posted:

With a color blind test you either see the number or you can't. There is no doubt. Taste is subjective.

There are a lot of people in this thread who are trying politely to explain their world view to you (because you expressed an interest in understanding it) and you seem intent on acting like an rear end in a top hat and more or less calling everyone a liar. I don't know if this is part of your mental health issues or whatever but to be frank it's pretty goddamned insulting. There's no great conspiracy. For better or worse you're different than other people, stop responding like you think everyone is lying to you.

• Locked thread