Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting Odyssey behaviours:

• Key trigger occurs on a hammer-on action on either oscillator, but not a pull-off one (Notes essentially play legato going down on VCO 2 or up on VCO 1)
  • LFO phase resets on key trigger
  • Portamento on VCO 1 only
  • Portamento, Transpose and Bend controls don't affect CV in, but vibrato works

Oh, and sawtooth VCO at audio rate into S&H makes different patterns each key played. Great for robot farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Software with a solid keyboard/pad/knob controller.

If you have a decent laptop running a DAW and can afford to spend some time looking for the right plugins/softsynths/sample packs/weird instruments/emulators/etc (not really that much time, tbh), it's far and away the solution that makes the most sense.

I can get a secondhand Motif for the price I'd want my audio interface to be (RME or bust) and it'd load faster than Kontakt. And it's got less of a chance to be stolen than a laptop. And it'd have a better keyboard than 95% of controllers out there. I mean I love the poo poo out of Komplete but if I want to take it on the road the computer running it is going to be expensive.

Sure, it's samples only, but hey.

Luna posted:

Fair enough. So is there a middle ground between Bar Mitzvahs and fiddling with nobs all day?

What do you want to spend?

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Laserjet 4P posted:

I can get a secondhand Motif for the price I'd want my audio interface to be (RME or bust) and it'd load faster than Kontakt. And it's got less of a chance to be stolen than a laptop. And it'd have a better keyboard than 95% of controllers out there. I mean I love the poo poo out of Komplete but if I want to take it on the road the computer running it is going to be expensive.

Sure, it's samples only, but hey.

What do you want to spend?

$3-600. I could go more if it was a good deal and worth it to me.

I actually just ordered a new laptop as my current one overheats and shuts down if I have any sustained CPU usage. I fully intend to have a DAW running and load interesting VSTs but it also doubles as my day to day laptop so it is not always hooked up and ready to go with my interfaces.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I am weak and bought all the Roland Boutiques yesterday. And the keyboard unit. At least I didn't also buy 3/4 or all of the Refaces (yet).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Laserjet 4P posted:

Lol, what?

So you flat-out refuse to spend less than $700 on a "mostly just pads and ambience" machine?

This person could probably do fine with a MiniNova (or splurge on an UltraNova/JDXI/system 1) or, hell, even a Micro/Minibrute and still get at least some MIDI controller capability on top of it to sweeten the deal.

Also, taking a laptop to a gig isn't exactly super rare these days, and even a relatively inexpensive one can run some VSTs/do aux duty if you're squeamish about your $2600 rMBP. A 2011 MacBook Air costs maybe $500 these days.

Luna posted:

$3-600. I could go more if it was a good deal and worth it to me.

I actually just ordered a new laptop as my current one overheats and shuts down if I have any sustained CPU usage. I fully intend to have a DAW running and load interesting VSTs but it also doubles as my day to day laptop so it is not always hooked up and ready to go with my interfaces.

Depending on what you're doing, you won't need a ton in the interface dept.

Physical objects:
With your budget, I'd look at the synths I mentioned above (MiniNova, etc.) and maybe even some of the desktop modules made by companies like Roland and Waldorf (you'll probably want a keyboard for those, but surprisingly decent ones start cheap these days. In any case, you should be thinking about getting a good keyboard controller anyway if you're gonna be working with a DAW and VSTs. No reason it can't pull double duty with your synths too).

If you want to go slightly more esoteric, consider digital ones like the new Roland Boutiques (tiny 4-voice reproductions of classic 80s synths) and Yamaha ReFace or analogs like the Korg MS-20 mini, Moog Mother-32 (module), and- if you want to spend more- Korg ARP Odyssey.

Alternatively, I'd consider getting 2 different, cheaper synths (Holiday sale Microbrute for $200 + JU-06 for $300 or some VSTs or whatever) over something bigger. You really can't go wrong.

The Computer Realm:

Arturia's V collection has like a 50% discount or somesuch for the holidays. That's 14 synths for like $2 hundo, IIRC.

Lotsa other VST makers have mad deals for the holidays. Look for mad deals. I'm sure Native Instruments has something going on. Their softsynths are pretty important to some people.

Got an iOS device? Got a class-compliant USB keyboard? Your next favorite synth might be an OTA download away, and cost you way less than $100. Companies like Moog, Korg, Arturia, and many of your favorite VST makers (along with lots of other people and even some goons) have made a bevy of legitimately powerful and inventive instruments for the platform- many costing less than $20. There's everything from slavish emulations of vintage analog gear to wavetables to piano modules to drum machines to weird poo poo that can only exist on a tablet/phone. It's a dirt-cheap, almost zero-risk entry into synthesis and was personally really valuable to me when I was first getting into the hobby. Also, everybody and their mom has a huge holiday sale going now, so synth apps are super discounted.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

minidracula posted:

I am weak and bought all the Roland Boutiques yesterday. And the keyboard unit. At least I didn't also buy 3/4 or all of the Refaces (yet).

The Boutiques are a better deal, and only the DX is worth it imo. On a completely different tangent, I wish the e2s did wavetables, or that I had something that allowed custom wavetables. I found a big pack of them and I think they sound more interesting than the ones in my UltraNova. I fear that I will end up buying enough gear to do every kind of synthesis with many duplicates. I can probably do all of it with the DAWs and VSTs I have though, I just like having stuff to much too bother with anything virtual.

That said, is there anything cheap and relatively modern that does custom wavetables?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

AxeBreaker posted:

That said, is there anything cheap and relatively modern that does custom wavetables?
Waldorf Blofeld

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The Sledge man. It's 3/4ths a blofeld with a knobby interface and hotter outs.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

krysmopompas posted:

Waldorf Blofeld

Truth. I made a wavetable out of BEES.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

AxeBreaker posted:

Reaktor. Be mindful going down that dark path. Trying to do it on an ASR-X has cost me a fair deal of my sanity.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Patchblocks can do custom wavetables at 10-bit/20kHz, but only as many waves as you can stuff into 8kB :haw:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Y'll are making me regret getting an UltraNova over a Blofeld.. of course it was an impulse buy, and I do like how it is laid out. I still haven't learned it as deeply as I would like, though. I think the Blofeld would be more of a challenge. Maybe if I sell some stuff (yeah right).

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Shruthi get a shruthi.

e: but only if you can get it as a kit or cheap, the ~300 bux they're going for on ebay is probably more than they're worth.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 22, 2015

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Changes I would make to the Odyssey's design:

Add pulse width control to LFO, mostly because it acts as a gate for the EGs.

Adjust LFO phase, or add an adjustment control. Phase resets on key trigger, and its current phase setting causes a delay in the gate, which makes arpeggiation tricky, and some things impossible.

Alternately, provide an option to OR the keyboard gate and the LFO.

It will be interesting to see how Behringer will execute this design, if that's still happening.

Also, it's not true that VCO2 does not do portamento when playing monophonically. In duophonic mode, however, only VCO1 gets the treatment.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 23, 2015

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

sliderule posted:

Changes I would make to the Odyssey's design:

Add pulse width control to LFO, mostly because it acts as a gate for the EGs.

Adjust LFO phase, or add an adjustment control. Phase resets on key trigger, and its current phase setting causes a delay in the gate, which makes arpeggiation tricky, and some things impossible.

Alternately, provide an option to OR the keyboard gate and the LFO.

It will be interesting to see how Behringer will execute this design, if that's still happening.

Also, it's not true that VCO2 does not do portamento when playing monophonically. In duophonic mode, however, only VCO1 gets the treatment.
I'm vaguely interested in getting one of the Korg ARP Odysseys after having seen and touched one in person earlier this week, but I don't really have a good reason other than nostalgia (for the sounds and the design) and the thought that I would learn a lot from its design (which might not even be true). Between this post and your previous post at the top of the page, where have you netted out on the Odyssey so far?

Also, what's the deal with the Behringer version/build? What I mean is: how is whatever deal structured with ARP, Korg, and Behringer such that they are also (likely? maybe?) gonna make an Odyssey as well? Clearly I haven't been paying close enough attention.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I started designing my custom eurorack case today. had a slow day at work so I managed to get most it all figured out. Still not sure if i'm going to go with a hinge or big industrial brackets on the outside.
Will be converting it all to autocad for the cutting and start pricing up the wood tomorrow.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

minidracula posted:

I'm vaguely interested in getting one of the Korg ARP Odysseys after having seen and touched one in person earlier this week, but I don't really have a good reason other than nostalgia (for the sounds and the design) and the thought that I would learn a lot from its design (which might not even be true). Between this post and your previous post at the top of the page, where have you netted out on the Odyssey so far?

Mostly I've been playing with FM, coaxing out brash percussive leads and pulsing drones. The 12dB/oct filter is my favourite for this, sing-songily bumping into harmonic content at full resonance.

It's great to play with various modulation depths between VCO inputs to the S&H mixer, FM on VCO2, FM on filter cutoff, with each VCO's tuning having a different impact on overall timbre. It's wild.

I haven't recorded anything, but if you need convincing, check out the Jexus video on an original. I can say that the Korg is faithful to that sound.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Y'll are making me regret getting an UltraNova over a Blofeld.

That's like wishing you got a coffee instead of a soda. They're both good depending on what's going on.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

0dB posted:

That's like wishing you got a coffee instead of a soda. They're both good depending on what's going on.

FM and single cycle/wavetable synthesis are very interesting to me now, so it's hindsight. I got to play with an Ultranova in person, and was able to get one used, so I went for that over a Blofeld.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Hey, goons, what do you use for out of the box live stereo distortion? I've got a full stereo signal chain that I'm looking to insert distortion into--preferably in a pedal format. Ideally there would be a stereo tube-emulation overdrive pedal but I'm not seeing a lot of options in this space...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Avid eleven rack or oto biscuit is the place to be bb.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Eleven rack looks really cool - I wish I had one to mess with

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Kurzweil Mangler.

Best $200 I've spent.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ableton did one of those web-browser synthy pages for the holidays and it's pretty fun.
http://littledrummertoy.ableton.com

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

sliderule posted:

Two weeks after demoing the Korg Arp Odyssey and I can't get it out of my head. Goddamn does it sound good. It was the first synth I've touched that I could get really close to the bass from "Hold Me Now" on. Don't know if it's the oscillator character or the filter, but drat do I lust for that particular sound.

Plus, Korg contacted Starcadian to make an ad for the Arp Odyssey which adds to the "coolest thing ever" argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS07n7k2Uvs

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe
So, Santa brought me an Ipad this year. I've been very impressed with what's available in terms of serious(-looking) audio apps, but there's so much stuff, I need some direction.

What are some must-haves? I bought Audiobus, Sunrizer, Orphion, Funkbox and Loopy HD on a whim and am pretty happy with that. I'm maybe looking for something more DAW-like and just cannot get into GarageBand. Has anybody tried Auria? Seems cool, but it is a little pricey.

In general, do you prefer Audiobus or Inter-app Audio?

What are some cool, more experimental apps, in the same vein as Orphion. You know, interesting ways to control synths with the touchscreen or non-linear sequencers and the like.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Yellow King posted:

So, Santa brought me an Ipad this year. I've been very impressed with what's available in terms of serious(-looking) audio apps, but there's so much stuff, I need some direction.

What are some must-haves? I bought Audiobus, Sunrizer, Orphion, Funkbox and Loopy HD on a whim and am pretty happy with that. I'm maybe looking for something more DAW-like and just cannot get into GarageBand. Has anybody tried Auria? Seems cool, but it is a little pricey.

What are some cool, more experimental apps, in the same vein as Orphion. You know, interesting ways to control synths with the touchscreen or non-linear sequencers and the like.

There's a thread for that!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

Goonmade TC-11 is probably what you want for neat interfacy thing.

For a DAW, cubasis is surprisingly good. For all-in-one synth/sequencers everyone seems to like Korg Gadget (Korg stuff goes on sale on roughly tow month intervals), Forum user KAT rear end NOW has made some pretty impressive stuff with the app he uses.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fugue Machine.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Anything Korg is fantastic for all in one apps.

For just synths you can't go wrong with the Arturia and Moog stuff.

I just downloaded Patterning and it's an amazingly fun way to make drums and stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

There's a thread for that!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364734

Goonmade TC-11 is probably what you want for neat interfacy thing.

For a DAW, cubasis is surprisingly good. For all-in-one synth/sequencers everyone seems to like Korg Gadget (Korg stuff goes on sale on roughly tow month intervals), Forum user KAT rear end NOW has made some pretty impressive stuff with the app he uses.

Luigi Thirty in the Yospos synth thread just said all of the Korg stuff is half off today.

My favorite iOS music apps are more geared to sample-fuckery: Werkbench, Samplr, SampleWiz. For synths I like pretty much all of Arturia's and Korg's stuff, Animoog, Cassini, TC-11, and modular. For drums, FunkBox, Figure, and Patterning.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
All of the Korg apps are 50% off until tomorrow (12/28). They're all excellent (nth'ing Gadget. Don't ask, just buy it) and the hardware emulations (iM1, iMS-20, etc) in particular are top-notch.

I also love all of the Moog apps- Animoog in particular is pretty great.

You'll also want to pick up Audiobus if you want to route your synth/source apps through effects like Filtatron (synth app through Filtatron = gooood times) and others.

TC-11 and its related apps are super dope, as are goon favorites Patterning and Samplr.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe
Ah, I hadn't seen that other thread, but the suggestions here were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

I've since bought Arturia's iSEM, Gadget, and Patterning. All of them top-notch. The way this has been going Samplr, TC-11 (gently caress me, that looks cool) and Fugue will probably follow soon. That 50€ AppleStore gift card didn't last a day…

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You'll also want to pick up Audiobus if you want to route your synth/source apps through effects like Filtatron (synth app through Filtatron = gooood times) and others.

Yeah, Audiobus is one of the first things I downloaded. I plan on getting some processors soon, but for now I need something to feed everything into. I have plenty of stuff on the input side, but only Garageband (blergh) and Loopy HD on the output side. Loopy is cool for coming up with quick ideas, but I'd love something more substantial. So Cubasis or Auria, I'm guessing?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
gently caress I'm in the market for korg's gadget and here I am with a lost credit card and no way to buy itunes credit in my region.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Is there much in the way of music apps on Android, or did iOS move in on that market fast enough to make the Android one a lost prospect?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Yellow King posted:

Ah, I hadn't seen that other thread, but the suggestions here were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

I've since bought Arturia's iSEM, Gadget, and Patterning. All of them top-notch. The way this has been going Samplr, TC-11 (gently caress me, that looks cool) and Fugue will probably follow soon. That 50€ AppleStore gift card didn't last a day…

Yeah, Audiobus is one of the first things I downloaded. I plan on getting some processors soon, but for now I need something to feed everything into. I have plenty of stuff on the input side, but only Garageband (blergh) and Loopy HD on the output side. Loopy is cool for coming up with quick ideas, but I'd love something more substantial. So Cubasis or Auria, I'm guessing?

Line out to your computer interface/recording device.

J/k, but I'm not too sure since I tend to save stuff in its respective apps/Loopy and immediately export it.

If you just Google "best iPad synth apps 2015" or "best music apps" or whatever you'll find a lot of listicles and so-forth.

There are also tons of offbeat and unique apps that really capitalize on the touchscreen like Photophore (uses animal flocking behavior models to control the oscillators), Virtual ANS (a surprisingly deep emulation of this weird beast, and Borderlands (touchscreen granular).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Heavy Lobster posted:

Is there much in the way of music apps on Android, or did iOS move in on that market fast enough to make the Android one a lost prospect?

My understanding is that the audio subsystem on the Android platform had too much latency to make audio apps practical until quite recently. iPads had a several-year head start on the tablet market as well.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Goon thoughts on the iRig Pro Duo? I impulse bought it on clearance while out buying patch cables and haven't yet opened it. Debating whether to dive in or return it unopened. The two Amazon reviews I found were negative, but about stuff I already knew about and didn't care about (cable length, the fact that it doesn't last long on AA batteries) from a "semi professional guitarist" and another guy.

I've largely been intentionally ignoring iOS as a platform, but I have an iPad Mini and an iPhone (daily driver). The iPad is currently light duty basically as a Safari machine, so I figured maybe why not?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

There's a solid amount of stuff in the phone space but almost nothing for tablets- which is less of an issue of iOS moving in early and more that the iPad is a consistent, unified platform with relatively little variation in hardware specs and benchmark-setting power and the Android tablet space is kind of all over the place.

A lot of these music apps lean heavily on the CPU and RAM. That's fine for a relatively saturated flagship phone market but you can't exactly tailor your tablet version just for Galaxy Tabs when most Android tablets in the wild are gonna be cheaper and less capable.

Also, iOS has had coreMIDI for a few years now and Android, last I checked, still doesn't (I'm probably wrong).

The Yellow King posted:

I have plenty of stuff on the input side, but only Garageband (blergh) and Loopy HD on the output side. Loopy is cool for coming up with quick ideas, but I'd love something more substantial. So Cubasis or Auria, I'm guessing?

I take back what I said earlier. I just started using Audioshare after posting my previous response and it's already my new favorite way to record and export stuff.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also, iOS has had coreMIDI for a few years now and Android, last I checked, still doesn't (I'm probably wrong).

MIDI support was greatly improved in marshmallow. That version was only released a few months ago, so expect another couple years or more for devices to widely support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Odyssey odyssey update:

Sync is great for punchy basses. Filter 2 (Moog ladder) is boring and filter 3 is great at low to mid res and quirky at anything past the 50% mark.

I underrated EQ until now, leaving the mixer flat for synth inputs mostly, sometimes using the low or high shelf to tame something.

Started sweeping +9dB on the mid tonight and found timbres I hadn't before. D'oh.