Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

litany of gulps posted:

Surf and turf can be all sorts of things. With lobster tail you can typically just scoop out a big pad of meat. I like to use my hands where possible, there's a certain visceral pleasure in tearing apart an animal and devouring the best pieces of it.

What's the fanciest meal you've ever had?
I was on a cruise ship when I was a kid, the meals they served there. Nothing particularly special about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

grack posted:

There are a lot of people in this thread who are trying politely to explain their world view to you (because you expressed an interest in understanding it) and you seem intent on acting like an rear end in a top hat and more or less calling everyone a liar. I don't know if this is part of your mental health issues or whatever but to be frank it's pretty goddamned insulting. There's no great conspiracy. For better or worse you're different than other people, stop responding like you think everyone is lying to you.

Personally I think it's very interesting and kinda funny. If he were nearby I'd offer to take him to some of my favorite restaurants or even cook some of my best dishes for him. :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for participating in the thread, Augsmund, it's wonderful to get another perspective.

One of the best meals I've had was michelin starred dim sum in Hong Kong. A variety of gorgeous flavours and textures.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ausmund posted:

I was on a cruise ship when I was a kid, the meals they served there. Nothing particularly special about them.

It seems like you haven't really eaten anything complex like what ShadowCatboy was describing, and it sounds like even the typical "high end" stuff that can often stand alone despite lack of complexity, like steak and lobster, has been of a very low quality and poor preparation.

There's an entire world lurking out there that you probably would appreciate, if you had any idea what you were looking for.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

grack posted:

There are a lot of people in this thread who are trying politely to explain their world view to you (because you expressed an interest in understanding it) and you seem intent on acting like an rear end in a top hat and more or less calling everyone a liar. I don't know if this is part of your mental health issues or whatever but to be frank it's pretty goddamned insulting. There's no great conspiracy. For better or worse you're different than other people, stop responding like you think everyone is lying to you.
But how is expressing my own personal world view calling everyone a liar? I don't believe everything I say is an absolute truth, just a reaction. And I never intended to upset anyone. How do I come across like an rear end in a top hat?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ShadowCatboy posted:

Personally I think it's very interesting and kinda funny. If he were nearby I'd offer to take him to some of my favorite restaurants or even cook some of my best dishes for him. :)
Yeah that would be cool, I live in VA though :(

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

grack posted:

actually I'm starting to see his point, the entire history of cooking and every recipe book was definitely created to gently caress with this guy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*looks with blasé disgust at a rack of ribs* more nutrients to masticate *sigh*

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how much effort you want to put into expanding your horizons, Ausmund, but I think it might be really good for you to try and learn how to enjoy food. Beyond the personal sensual experience food is a great way to socialize and bond with others. Heck every week I go out with friends to some of the best restaurants in the area and we have fun conversation and talk about how good the individual dishes are and what cultures they come from.

In fact I introduced a couple to a local halal Chinese restaurant. You often see Muslims praying to Mecca right outside the doors and the flavors are very unique. It's become one of the wife's favorite places and we're actually introducing her parents to it tomorrow night and having wine and dessert at my place after.

They're from a small town in Ohio so their experience with exotic dishes is very limited. I'm gonna introduce them to fresh guava and maybe some lychee if I can get them. :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Since he isn't even one of the weird chicken-nugget people, can we all please move on?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Anne Whateley posted:

Since he isn't even one of the weird chicken-nugget people, can we all please move on?

It's an interesting side topic so long as things don't get too personal, man. Why you wanna shut it down?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShadowCatboy posted:

It's an interesting side topic so long as things don't get too personal, man. Why you wanna shut it down?

So they can fill in the void with their own interesting anecdotes about dietary oddities!

Right? Right?!?

*crickets*

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

Because it's been like five pages of "I don't like food" "try this AMAZING thing!!!" back and forth. If there was anything different or interesting left to say, that would be cool.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

uh oh watch out fellas, Anne Whateley is getting sick and tired of what you've been posting

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

*really cool guy sees crowd of people marveling at a circus freak*

Hey. Hey. Hey. Look at me. Hey. That guy's boring. Hey. Check me out, I don't like it. Hey. Hey.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Hey. Hey. Hey. Look at me. Hey. That guy's boring. Hey. Check me out, I don't like it. Hey. Hey.

"You marvelled! I saw you marvel!"
_____________/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

How many pages do you think it would be interesting to read "people who like food are liars" "actually, food" for? I just want to gawk at some chicken-nugget weirdos, okay

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Reading this thread has been pretty bizarre for me, since I'm more or less exactly the same as Ausmund when it comes to food. Don't really care about it, will happily eat a nice meal if somebody else cooks it for me, and I'm not picky in the slightest, but left to my own devices I do the bare minimum for proper nutrition because I just don't care that much either way. Eating a phenomenal meal for me is like watching a phenomenal bike race is for other people: interesting, enjoyable, but not really something to seek out specifically, because it's just not really one of my hobbies and hasn't ever been, and while I can appreciate the really neat moments, I don't notice or enjoy the nuances in the same way that some people do. But I don't think my brain is broken; I definitely have other intense and pleasurable interests, hobbies, and relationships, food just doesn't happen to be one of them, and I'm not depressed or schizotypal or whatever. I'm married, have a good job, pets, I'm in great physical shape, etc. Is it so insane to just not be that interested in food? I don't think my husband is insane for not enjoying an incredible novel the way that I do, and he doesn't think I'm insane for not being interested in the space program...

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

God Over Djinn posted:

Reading this thread has been pretty bizarre for me, since I'm more or less exactly the same as Ausmund when it comes to food. Don't really care about it, will happily eat a nice meal if somebody else cooks it for me, and I'm not picky in the slightest, but left to my own devices I do the bare minimum for proper nutrition because I just don't care that much either way. Eating a phenomenal meal for me is like watching a phenomenal bike race is for other people: interesting, enjoyable, but not really something to seek out specifically, because it's just not really one of my hobbies and hasn't ever been, and while I can appreciate the really neat moments, I don't notice or enjoy the nuances in the same way that some people do. But I don't think my brain is broken; I definitely have other intense and pleasurable interests, hobbies, and relationships, food just doesn't happen to be one of them, and I'm not depressed or schizotypal or whatever. I'm married, have a good job, pets, I'm in great physical shape, etc. Is it so insane to just not be that interested in food? I don't think my husband is insane for not enjoying an incredible novel the way that I do, and he doesn't think I'm insane for not being interested in the space program...

It seems like you do have a scale to measure how "good" a meal is, but don't care enough to seek out good ones, which isn't the same thing as believing that IHOP burgers taste the same as any other burger.

Ausmund seems to have some sort of physical inability to release the same brain hormones as other human beings in the same situation. They started a thread about having their schizoid personality disorder where they talk about getting nothing from socializing with others and otherwise feeling neutral about normally joy-inducing things.

I think food is alright. I'm ok with eating oatmeal and vegetables most days, but sometimes I go to a restaurant.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nah, I mentioned I had a friend with little interest in food earlier as well. It's probably not that unusual.

One thing he could be really picky about was the food's consistency. Was a sandwich dry, potatoes gooey, etc. Like the physical act of chewing and swallowing food took on more importance than the taste itself. Any other anti-foodies (for lack of a better word) who can confirm/deny?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I wouldn't feel too down about it: my girlfriend also thinks of food as only sustenance and as a chore to get through the day. I'm not sure how much of it is a psychological thing and how much is her not having a strong sense of taste, but she tends to enjoy food only as part of certain social situations like on dates, at parties, etc. The food itself doesn't mean much to her. I used to get annoyed about it (I love eating out and trying new things and can't really understand why you'd want to stay in and get a take out instead) until I stopped taking it personally.

I doubt it's easy to equate this situation with Ausmund's though.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

God Over Djinn posted:

This doesn't sound the same at all. You have the capacity to enjoy food, you just don't care much. Fine, I'm not into... say, poetry, probably the best you'd get out of me is "yeah that's pretty good". I don't deny that poetry can be amazing, I've just never learned to appreciate it. Like you I really enjoy a poo poo load of other stuff. Plus you say you're in good shape so presumably you care enough to eat healthily.

The other guy doesn't really grasp how anyone else can enjoy food, and he literally tried to list something he enjoyed and came up with "movies I guess but they're just timewasters really". That is a very different situation from not really caring about food.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry Anne Whately! And yes, I do have my own A/T thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm trying to analyze myself and see where I stand compared to others in concern to how I experience the world. And if it matters, all the stuff I'm finding out about myself has made me pretty depressed, so I'm not proud of it or trying to validate myself as superior or anything.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

This thread makes me think of my brother. He makes $70+K a year as a mechanic for McClaren and constantly brags about spending only $150 a month on groceries but never eats anything healthy. Burgers have to be plain, no condiments or toppings, just meat on a bun. Same for sandwiches, but he'll only eat turkey sandwiches. Chicken nuggets and french fries are for when he's "feeling fancy". I have never seen him eat fruits or vegetables and aggressively refuses to try them. Whenever my family goes out to a restaurant my mom has to check the menu in advance to see if there is something he'll eat there. If we get to a restaurant and find out he doesn't want to eat anything because they don't do substitutions or whatever, he will just quietly sulk in his seat and shoot daggers at us while occasionally strongly hinting that we should go somewhere else. He threw a fit once because a nicer Chinese restaurant we went to for my dad's birthday didn't serve General Gao's chicken, the only Chinese dish he will eat, so he just ate white rice. For the entire meal. My mom almost made me cancel my birthday plans at one of my favorite restaurants that serves only seasonal dishes with lots of vegetables and herbs, because "there is nothing he will eat there and you want your brother to come to your birthday, right?!?"

It's so insanely frustrating sometimes and I just don't understand it. My parents definitely enable him, but to be so incurious about one of life's great experiences is mind boggling to me.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 23, 2015

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

Nah, I mentioned I had a friend with little interest in food earlier as well. It's probably not that unusual.

One thing he could be really picky about was the food's consistency. Was a sandwich dry, potatoes gooey, etc. Like the physical act of chewing and swallowing food took on more importance than the taste itself. Any other anti-foodies (for lack of a better word) who can confirm/deny?

I used to be really, really sensitive to food textures. I wouldn't eat things like cauliflower and broccoli because the texture of the crowns bothered me a lot. But those foods are very good for you, and not eating them really restricts what "adult" things you can eat so I powered through it and now I wouldn't say I like the texture, but I don't mind it much. I don't really have problems with any specific texture but I don't like it as much when things aren't, hmm, consistent? Like if there are crispy onions in the mashed potatoes, that's less nice to me than just mashed potatoes. Actually, there is one texture I really can't deal with - "stringiness", like the rind on a sandwich meat, or the long fibres you get in beans sometimes. When I was younger I used to eat everything "in order" - first carrots, then peas, then the meat, then the starch, so I could have just one texture at a time. But as I've gotten older I've relaxed on that a bit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Your brother sounds like a huge manchild. Do you really want him to come to your birthday party? Or to dinner? Or at all?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

His Divine Shadow posted:

Your brother sounds like a huge manchild. Do you really want him to come to your birthday party? Or to dinner? Or at all?

No, not particularly. My brother and I are so different personality-wise that you never would guess we're from the same parents. This is part of a huge push from my parents to bring us together because they are starting to feel their own mortality and want us to have a good relationship with each other when they kick the bucket.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ausmund posted:

You can't be serious. Food is the highest most immense pleasure there is?

In terms of "volume of enjoyment produced annually" yeah kinda.

Depends on how much money I have for good food and how much sex I'm having but on the whole there's a reliably robust degree of enjoyment to be taken from a good meal every day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just wait 10-15 years when he gets all kinds of blood pressure and whatever the poo poo diseases old people get.

He's surviving because the body can adapt to a lot of poo poo but it'll break down eventually.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Moridin920 posted:

Just wait 10-15 years when he gets all kinds of blood pressure and whatever the poo poo diseases old people get.

He's surviving because the body can adapt to a lot of poo poo but it'll break down eventually.

It might take a bit longer than that. During WWI, the average recruit for the 7th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment gained 14 pounds of weight and 1 inch of height in six months of nothing but tea, rum, bully beef, and hard biscuits. People in the past survived on some really lovely diets.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

The poor in Ireland lived on a diet of primarily potatoes and milk.

The introduction of potatoes helped the population of Ireland grow from around 1 million in 1570 to 8 million in 1840 before the famine (currently a bit over 4 1/2 million)

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

PiratePing posted:

I will never stop being amazed at the idea of having to eat McDonalds because you're poor. Here it's definitely a luxury item you apologetically shove in your face because you just couldn't help yourself.

For what it's worth, I think it's admirable that you at least make the effort to eat a reasonable diet.

Feeding yourself properly is a normal adult responsibility just like brushing your teeth, whether people like it or not. It's pretty telling that most picky eater types only eat toddler foods and brush improvement off with an "I don't wanna and you can't make me!"

poor people eat mcdonalds because they have very little time

like that guy who just posted poo poo about fuckin' potatoes for the poor. it takes like an hour to bake a potato. ain't nobody working two jobs got the time for that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's lots of ways to cook a potato and usually when you're baking something you don't sit around and stare intently at the oven for the whole time it takes to bake

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

there's lots of ways to cook a potato and usually when you're baking something you don't sit around and stare intently at the oven for the whole time it takes to bake

wow that's very informative you should share it with poor people that subsist on mcdonalds

turns out poor people eat mcdonalds because they're lazy and stupid -- wizard of goatse

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

no, just you

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
lol i don't eat mcdonald's, i am a member of a local csa and cook most of my meals :smug:

but i can still Check My Privilege

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Side Effects posted:

This thread makes me think of my brother. He makes $70+K a year as a mechanic for McClaren and constantly brags about spending only $150 a month on groceries but never eats anything healthy. Burgers have to be plain, no condiments or toppings, just meat on a bun. Same for sandwiches, but he'll only eat turkey sandwiches. Chicken nuggets and french fries are for when he's "feeling fancy". I have never seen him eat fruits or vegetables and aggressively refuses to try them. Whenever my family goes out to a restaurant my mom has to check the menu in advance to see if there is something he'll eat there. If we get to a restaurant and find out he doesn't want to eat anything because they don't do substitutions or whatever, he will just quietly sulk in his seat and shoot daggers at us while occasionally strongly hinting that we should go somewhere else. He threw a fit once because a nicer Chinese restaurant we went to for my dad's birthday didn't serve General Gao's chicken, the only Chinese dish he will eat, so he just ate white rice. For the entire meal. My mom almost made me cancel my birthday plans at one of my favorite restaurants that serves only seasonal dishes with lots of vegetables and herbs, because "there is nothing he will eat there and you want your brother to come to your birthday, right?!?"

It's so insanely frustrating sometimes and I just don't understand it. My parents definitely enable him, but to be so incurious about one of life's great experiences is mind boggling to me.

This sounds remarkably like my brother. I gave him a spicey food cookbook for Christmas, he opened it to one of the few vegetarian recipes that contained things he will eat (beans, tinned tomatoes, chilli)... And immediately announced he couldn't eat it because it didn't have meat.

I'm a bit fed up with our parents catering to him since he still lives with them and when I go to visit it's often the same boring foods on offer because he won't eat anything green. A small part of me is weirdly curious as to what would happen if our parents cut out all his staples and gave him the option of eat what they eat or figure something out for himself.

It's bizarre, he will eat chicken feet because "hurrr, meat", but he once ate carrot soup, said it was delicious and promptly threw it up once somebody told him it was carrot soup, not pumpkin.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

At my workplace people don't eat fruits at all. Which is weird for me as I find fruit to be the laziest food there is - a couple of apples, peaches, a grapefruit or other citrus, pears, bananas, grapes - I sometimes scold myself for not making any sandwiches, but just grabbing some things from the fruit bowl. Also, it helped, that in UK most of the fruit is cheap as hell, whereas in Poland you'd get apples all year round, and other fruit only in season. What I miss though are tomatoes which are not that rich in flavour.

Edit: also English bread can go to hell

canis minor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 25, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

froglet posted:

It's bizarre, he will eat chicken feet because "hurrr, meat", but he once ate carrot soup, said it was delicious and promptly threw it up once somebody told him it was carrot soup, not pumpkin.

Is your still living at home brother who will throw up over carrots like... mentally ill or disabled in some way? Did your parents just coddle him so hard he became retarded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Baronjutter posted:

Is your still living at home brother who will throw up over carrots like... mentally ill or disabled in some way? Did your parents just coddle him so hard he became retarded?

Nope, no diagnosed mental illness or disability. I do think if he recognised that his lifestyle was unhealthy and sought treatment he might be diagnosed with some sort of condition. I firmly believe if my parents told him he had to eat one piece of greens each meal (or else he gets nothing) when we were younger, he wouldn't have this problem now.

Last year our cousin's son told him off for not eating vegetables at a family gathering. Our cousin's kid is eight. I think when an eight year old is calling you out, you need to reevaluate your lifestyle.

My biggest problem in all this isn't that he doesn't like certain foods, its that I know he will eat (and keep down) vegetables when the need arises (like when he was in the army reserves training and they said he had to eat vegetables). So he will eat them or at least try them without being a baby, he just chooses to be a giant manchild and allow everyone to tie themselves up in knots catering to him.

Edit: To me, his actions say "I don't care about you or your feelings even though you are the one putting all the effort in". It's just unbelievably selfish.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 26, 2015

• Locked thread