Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't know why it is, but I feel like Reanimator and Ramp are open in every Vintage Cube I enter, which results in me drafting a lot of Craterhoof Behemoths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I will say that the gulf between L1 and L2 comp is HUGE; a big part of the reason I pushed for L2 was so that I could afford to go to more events, farther away. At Quebec City as I mentioned I got $60 CAD and three boxes for three days of judging, that's it. I was L1. At Pittsburgh, where I was L2, I got $300 and 4 boxes for 2 days judging. I stayed with some friends so the hotel room costs were $70 to me, total, and I brought food from home to eat. Carpooled with a friend so I just paid him $30 for gas.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So for something more lighthearted, this article is cool and good: http://dsgcw.blogspot.com/2015/12/why-paying-grinders-to-play-magic-is.html?m=1 :3:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I will say that the gulf between L1 and L2 comp is HUGE; a big part of the reason I pushed for L2 was so that I could afford to go to more events, farther away. At Quebec City as I mentioned I got $60 CAD and three boxes for three days of judging, that's it. I was L1. At Pittsburgh, where I was L2, I got $300 and 4 boxes for 2 days judging. I stayed with some friends so the hotel room costs were $70 to me, total, and I brought food from home to eat. Carpooled with a friend so I just paid him $30 for gas.

Yeah, I'd be quite happy to see L1s and L2s treated the same at GP level. There's very little difference between an L2 and an L1 that's considered ready to work a GP (most L1s need a decent word from their RC to have a chance to get on staff)

Give L3+ more, fine - they've got more responsibilities as appeal judges.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

So for something more lighthearted, this article is cool and good: http://dsgcw.blogspot.com/2015/12/why-paying-grinders-to-play-magic-is.html?m=1 :3:

I think it's kind of misleading because he says stores can payout over 100% entry fee and can pay out in packs but stores and players acquire packs at different prices - i.e. 3.99 MSRP to a player vs like around 2.00 to buy packs as a store, IIRC.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 23, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

Did none of you aside from Zoness try to look at this without immediately demonizing WotC?

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

The DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban, sure, and the owner of magicjudges is allowed to unilaterally close it down. So no complaining about that! :D

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban, sure, and the owner of magicjudges is allowed to unilaterally close it down. So no complaining about that! :D

Yup!

I hope this becomes a full-on judge's strike

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No one said they didn't have the right to do it.

But at the same time I have the right to yell bad words at everyone I meet at Wal-Mart. That doesn't make it any less of a fantastically stupid idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
wotc should fire any staff that allowed the card to be leaked

hopefully thats most of them

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Can we just fire anyone who professionally lets themselves be named "trick?"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Holy poo poo I missed a lot while having dinner with my aunt.

I didn't even know JudgeApps was third party and not even officially affiliated with WotC. Should have known by how it WORKS.

But yeah wow this is getting crazy. Really hoping this is the straw that breaks the Judge camel's back tbh. Just my gut feeling reading these posts, but yeah. Like I said, I have other 'beef' with the situation, but yeah.

One thing though, someone said "Helene Bergeot has an unenviable job and is doing her best", that's exactly how I feel. Don't know if she's just too good for Wizards or something else, but at times it's like she's the only one who's 'solid', compared to the rest of Wizards being... Directionless.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GeneX posted:

Yup!

I hope this becomes a full-on judge's strike

It better be settled by the time OGW pre-release comes on because otherwise alot of people are gonna be hosed.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GoutPatrol posted:

It better be settled by the time OGW pre-release comes on because otherwise alot of people are gonna be hosed.

Given that the main Judge organization site is down in protest it needs to be solved within, like, a week really.

Although given that this is Wizards we're talking about they'll probably just poo poo out a really bad, barely functional, in-house version of the site and call it a day. :smithicide:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
How far ahead of time are judges scheduled for events? Are the January events in danger of having judge shortages (assuming they don't all strike)?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Almost all the judge groups are closed group.

Maybe someone could, y'know, leak it???

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It depends on the Organizer, some events are staffed and ready months in advance (SCG, GPs) and others like say, your local PPTQ, or GPT might be scrambling to find a Judge days before an event.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It depends on the Organizer, some events are staffed and ready months in advance (SCG, GPs) and others like say, your local PPTQ, or GPT might be scrambling to find a Judge days before an event.

Yeah I was specifically wondering about the Charlotte and Atlanta opens in January.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How far ahead of time are judges scheduled for events? Are the January events in danger of having judge shortages (assuming they don't all strike)?

More like February and March. It just puts more work on the TOs and RCs because now they have to deal with emails and poo poo like it's whatever year before magicjudges.org opened. But he already added a P.S. to the site saying he'd help TOs who have urgent deadlines approaching soon, which is reasonable.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yeah I was specifically wondering about the Charlotte and Atlanta opens in January.

Those events closed months ago. It may make it tricky to find replacements or otherwise respond to changes in demand, but barring a general strike or something those events should go off without a hitch.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah this is what my friend texted me: (1/2) You understand what judge apps is right? It's the only way a non-judge had of contacting a judge. At all. Also, both of those L3's were on-staff for (2/2) the PT in atlanta in february and the scg open in january. Ben macdole was supposed to HJ that open in fact.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im sure wizards will give a free lunch voucher to an mtgo programmer to whip up a mtgjudges replacement over christmas holiday, no worries guys

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Serperoth posted:

Holy poo poo I missed a lot while having dinner with my aunt.

I didn't even know JudgeApps was third party and not even officially affiliated with WotC. Should have known by how it WORKS.

But yeah wow this is getting crazy. Really hoping this is the straw that breaks the Judge camel's back tbh. Just my gut feeling reading these posts, but yeah. Like I said, I have other 'beef' with the situation, but yeah.

One thing though, someone said "Helene Bergeot has an unenviable job and is doing her best", that's exactly how I feel. Don't know if she's just too good for Wizards or something else, but at times it's like she's the only one who's 'solid', compared to the rest of Wizards being... Directionless.

It won't be that straw, which is kind of unfortunate. I have - quite sadly - see other judges take up torch and pitchfork on WotC's behalf in this situation. Why, we'll never know. But I will agree that Helene is loving amazing, and has the patience of a saint. She really is too good at what she does to be doing it for an organization as lovely as WotC - although on the other hand her being there does give a faint hope for improvements within.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Joke's on you, your report of his suspension will be used as evidence against you.

like what i just can't get is that by doing this, you disincentives anyone to report on leaks, cause they might get banned! how does this make sense

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/statement-concerning-recent-suspensions-2015-12-21

quote:

The people suspended were members of a private group receiving stolen confidential information about upcoming sets before this information was available in any public forum on the internet. This happened over multiple sets and well ahead of preview season for the sets in question. Viewing never-before-seen Magic cards in a private group — and not seeing these cards anywhere else on the internet — should be a red flag that the information you see is likely stolen. If you come across information like this, you should immediately report it to Wizards. Major leaks in the past have been prevented by other members of our community reporting similar situations to Wizards.

Another concern that has been raised by some individuals is that they did not participate in the group during the latest leak. The issue with the passive participants is not a one-time affair; this information was shared within the group for multiple expansions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Explanation from Wizards that I'm sure I will be beaten to posting by the time I hit submit.

So there was a secret group where judges got ahold of unreleased cards and shared them amongst each other, and stupidly, one or two of them shared it outside the group.

I can't believe how horribly Wizards handled this. If this was their first statement, it would've been much more well received, at least amongst judges.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mandatory lesbian posted:

like what i just can't get is that by doing this, you disincentives anyone to report on leaks, cause they might get banned! how does this make sense

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I'm rather interested in how WotC got access to this private group, and why it's taken so long to act if this has been an ongoing affair over multiple sets. Doesn't seem like this is the sort of thing you just let play out because "maybe they won't do it again."

E: And if it was just a whistleblower now, then it kind of implies that their information is recent and not at all a long investigation over a period of sets.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So you're telling me it's literally:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I am completely credulous of the explanation that paints Wizards taking down a cabal of judges who somehow got new cards months in advance repeatedly for some reason.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
whoops

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't believe how horribly Wizards handled this. If this was their first statement, it would've been much more well received, at least among judges.

I realize it's just an expression, but I can believe how horribly Wizards handled it.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So Helene is going to participate in the next an upcoming MTGFocus podcast. That should be spicy.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

GeneX posted:

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

:smugdog:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sickening posted:

http://mtgfocus.tumblr.com/post/135426608808/mtg-focus-episode-38-leaky-pipes

About 35 minutes in they start talking about the leak. I feel like his opinions on this leak from the broadcast might have had something to do with his ban.

Roberto isn't actually in this episode, this one is Brandon and Eric.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's like how Rorschach goes to the seedy bar and breaks someone's hand to get info and fails to get anything because these people are just seedy but not part of the criminal conspiracy.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Helene is cool. Good post-which-should-have-been-the-first-post on the matter.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Ramos posted:

So you're telling me it's literally:

I thought the conspiracy from conspiracy was going to be who can cast the kick rear end golgari cards because none of the legendary story characters could. It was us the whole time.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I have a hard time believing this group has some secret in to card spoilers and has been getting leaks ahead of time in a consistent manner. It sounds more like they are just like the people in this thread coming across links that might be or might not be legit spoilers and posting them or just reading them.

Foma fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Foma posted:

I have a hard time believing this group has some secret in to card spoilers and has been getting leaks ahead of time in a consistent manner. It sounds more like they are just like the people in this thread coming across links that might be or might not be legit spoilers and posting them or just reading them.

Maybe some member works for the printer?

• Locked thread