Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

After the Jojo recap I'm pretty surprised nobody remembered Voodoo Kingdom, I just now realized it'd be a good thing to post.

Back in 2009ish they tried to make a theatrical Part 1 movie which was so terrible people say Araki blocked it from ever getting a home video release. One of it's main sins was excluding Speedwagon

The important thing was is that Dio had a theme song by DIggy Mo and it is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmlTjjwsME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

After the Jojo recap I'm pretty surprised nobody remembered Voodoo Kingdom, I just now realized it'd be a good thing to post.

Back in 2009ish they tried to make a theatrical Part 1 movie which was so terrible people say Araki blocked it from ever getting a home video release. One of it's main sins was excluding Speedwagon

The important thing was is that Dio had a theme song by DIggy Mo and it is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmlTjjwsME

Diggy Mo in general is just somehow an amazingly good fit for Jojo, and I have no idea how to explain it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Onmi posted:

Diggy Mo in general is just somehow an amazingly good fit for Jojo, and I have no idea how to explain it.

It's true.

It makes me wanna link the Pt 4 MAD but it's too spoilery for this thread!!! I love that song so much

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's true.

It makes me wanna link the Pt 4 MAD but it's too spoilery for this thread!!! I love that song so much

Part 3 and 1&2 then

Anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIjdjgl-j_U
Original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e0iTafEr6k

Part 1 & 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elGX9rQesrI

EDIT: drat it Kira

EDIT: Skipping with King Crimson takes you right past the Kakyoin battle in Japan.
EDIT: Skipping Strength takes you directly to the door of the strength boss battle, bypassing the dungeon.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 20, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Blind man's bluff.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I saw that up on tumblr yesterday but was thrown off more by the caption I saw on it at the time about Alessi thirst. Who is out there thirsting after Alessi. Where is God.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

In his mansion.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Finally saw the full PV trailer and maaaaan, this anime's gonna be Great. When we get non off screen footage of that PV, I really need to get that lingering shot of Crazy Diamond's ~energy~ going back into Josuke avatar sized cause I love that dumb effect a lot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bad Seafood posted:

Blind man's bluff.

I only just noticed Anubis' scabbard in front of Terrence.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Finally saw the full PV trailer and maaaaan, this anime's gonna be Great. When we get non off screen footage of that PV, I really need to get that lingering shot of Crazy Diamond's ~energy~ going back into Josuke avatar sized cause I love that dumb effect a lot.

I'm really not getting all the negativity surrounding it. I get that it's not perfect but the PV looked fun and I'm still really happy that I'll get to see my favorite part animated.

Not trying to shut people down if they have issues, it's just the sweeping condemnations getting to me.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm really not getting all the negativity surrounding it. I get that it's not perfect but the PV looked fun and I'm still really happy that I'll get to see my favorite part animated.

Not trying to shut people down if they have issues, it's just the sweeping condemnations getting to me.

I remember the exact same thing happening when Part 3's early footage was shown, everyone lost their minds over the cheese wheels. After episode 2, I predict no one will care. Personally I love that DavidPro has new art direction for each part, it mimics the evolution of Araki's style over the years.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I was a bit surprised by the large amount of negativity, but I can understand complaints of it being such a sharp change and that noses look weird, but I dunno, I feel it will look fine. I saw some people complaining that the new style looks to similar to other current anime, but after how good Parts 1 - 3 are and how over the top Crazy Diamond appearing and repairing the piece of paper is, I trust DavidPro.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZP_z2PxCw

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Making that animation avatar-sized for you is already proving to be murder cuz of the size restrictions, augh

e: what are the actual restrictions for filesize? I've flogged this until I can get it to 151k, that can't possibly be close to the workable size and it already sucks. I've got the base video clip for it if someone wants me to send it to them so they can gently caress with it themselves.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 21, 2015

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeaaaah it's 100k and 150 x 150 which probably isn't possible to fit with what I'm thinking. Thank you so much though!

God, I really enjoy the rapping(?) at the end I hope that's a reccurring thing in the soundtrack cause it fits the time period really well.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

God, I really enjoy the rapping(?) at the end I hope that's a reccurring thing in the soundtrack cause it fits the time period really well.

Yess!!! I'm really, really hoping for that as well

• rapping
  • smashmouth
  • smashmouth

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hype is Unbreakable

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Question for anyone else on repeat playthroughs of 7th Stand User. Do I have to repurchase Star Platinum: The World and King Crimson every time I go back to the developers room, or am I free to finally start using Medals (beyond the 1 I'll need for New Game Plus)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You will not have to repurchase.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

you know, for a while I was feeling like Sonic Youth was a retread of Specials in that it wasn't all that powerful even if it was fun, but the difference is When Specials unlocked all his abilities, I basically just used Jumbo Grenade, Shouken-Zeki and Pinpoint Shot, and excluding Shouken they didn't do that much damage. While Sonic Youth doesn't have a power house ability, his skills seem far more useful. Recital Buffs everyone in the party for around 70-100 in each stat, making it far better than Push it to the Limit since it only costs FP. Orchestra is more amazing, as it damages enemies for around 150, Debuffs them including their SP, and is again, only 50 SP. Hell Ripple Waveforce isn't bad if only for the zombie killing benefits, in short, Sonic Youth is now amazing.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Daaaaang this anime stuff is lookin' boss! I can't wait to see it all come together! I bet I'll get even more attention next week than I did at Oni-Con -- since I'll be cosplaying as Josuke at Ikkicon the weekend after next. Will report back on any Jojo sightings. Also if things have calmed down around here I'll get back to the effort posting. Need to get with those of ya'll who have emailed/pm'd me about cold reading duwangs too 'cause there's always time for more Jojo silliness.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm pretty excited. I kind of like the art style, it doesn't look that far off from the later Part 4 art, just a bit smoother as far as I've seen, so I'm not entirely sure why people are upset about it. The music in the preview was great too, I didn't expect it but it was incredibly fitting for the characters and setting.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I was already pretty good with it (the nose stuff didn't bug me) and once I saw the fixed jotaro I was like yeah this looks great I'm set/excited.

It's not super far off from what I'd expected and I would HATE DIU done in SDC style the whole way, so...

We're not going to talk about how many times I've watched the full PV.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
"I finally got this so-called 'stand' ability...Not everyone gets to have one, you know?" Hazamada says through Surface. "Kinda makes you want to live a more dangerous and successful life than the average guy, don't you think?"

Well, they say the best way to see a person's true nature is to give them power.

JJBA Chapter 291
Chapter 26 of Diamond is Unbreakable
Surface III

Translation: Invincible Trio

:eng101: Reminder: if you've missed a previous entry, you can catch up by clicking the ? under my name or by going here: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/

Surface continues its attack – it forces Josuke to dig even deeper at his eye with the pencil. Josuke’s response to this is pretty badass.

The writing here is a bit vague but I think that Surface is telling Josuke that he’ll stop his attack if Josuke promises to skip town with Jotaro. Otherwise I’m not sure what Surface is getting at here.

“Even if you struggle, you gotta give up some time, Josuke!”

Josuke struggles to keep from stabbing himself in the eye, and then apparently falls over.

I have to confess that to me the speed lines with the sound effect make this look a bit comical.

Josuke falls forward (spurting blood!) then falls again (?) as Hazamada has a private thought.

Hazamada discusses this most recent turn of events with Surface.

“Did you squash it?” Hazamada asks. “It made a nice sound. If he didn’t sever any nerves, he’ll be lucky to see again…if he’s lucky that is.” Invincible Trio, surely there was a more elegant way to word that.

“Well, he’ll be knocked out for a while, anyway…looks like we can get rid of Jotaro in that time. The name of the hotel that Jotaro’s staying in is…uhhhh…”

“It’s ‘Morioh Grand Hotel.’ Hey, pick up my shoes!”

Hmmmm interesting. So Surface appears to have a will independent of that of Hazamada. (I suppose perhaps it picks up the personality of whoever it is impersonating at the time? I wonder if it can even move when it’s not taking anybody’s form. Can it take Hazamada’s form?) Additionally, looks like Hazamada can’t actually see through Surface’s eyes as I had originally assumed - I figured he could use it for scouting like Kakyoin used Hierophant Green. And then Hazamada had to tell Surface to pick up his shoes, which would imply that he can’t control his stand through his will alone, although it does appear that Surface is obedient to him. So I’m wondering to what extent Hazamada can control his own stand. If he doesn’t give it orders in battle then how does it know what to do? Was Surface making Josuke stab at his own eye because Josuke had heard Hazamada made his friend do that so Surface actually picked the idea up when he imprinted on Josuke? So if Josuke hadn't thought Hazamada would attack his eye, maybe Hazamada wouldn't have attacked his eye. rly makes u think, doesnt it?

OK so I had to glance at this again because my first thought was that we were seeing a cross section of the inside of Surface’s head and that we were looking at machine parts – but then I realized we were seeing a sound effect that Echoes put on Surface (since Hazamada is also a stand user, why didn’t he see this?)

Posting whole page because the panel transitions are nice. We realize we’re surveying the scene from the POV of Echoes – and since echoes seems to be speaking for Koichi does that mean Koichi can use Echoes like Hierophant Green?

Also AIDS? wtf.

But yep, looks like Josuke didn’t stab his eye out after all, Koichi just fooled Hazamada into thinking he did! (wouldn’t it be obvious because Surface didn’t stab his own eye out? I’m probably overthinking this.)

Josuke rushes to Koichi and we get some expository dialogue explaining what happened.

So Koichi didn’t spend more than a moment with a zillion broken bones, he’s “just” sliced up from busting through a pane of glass. Looks like a job for Crazy Diamondman!

Something about this whole exchange is morbidly amusing to me.

Ahaaaaa so that’s why Koichi was a focal point of this earlier panel!!

MEANWHILE...

Dang if my tablet weren’t broken I’d be drawing lines on this poo poo. Oh well. Look at the lines and where they point and think arty thoughts! Also this panel is boring. BORING! Which is good. We just got out of a scene that was tense as gently caress. Araki’s dialing down the intensity so he has the space he needs to jack it up again.

Koichi and Josuke talk about their game plan. Because of how thorough Surface’s copying was, right down to personality and speech patterns, they can’t think of anything they could tell anybody that would help them distinguish Josuke from Surface-Copying-Josuke. I guess Koichi forgot about the screw that he explicitly noticed in the previous chapter.

“What creeped me out the most wasn’t the face, though. It was the fingers…you see your fingers a lot more than you see your face, right? I could tell that he had me copied, right down to my fingerprints.”

“This is pretty drat bad…even Jotaro’s not going to be safe if that copy gets anywhere near him!”

You can tell Josuke really does believe Surface to be dangerous by how he’s sweating. Again this whole bit is kinda expository and not that exciting, but Araki is setting up the narrative questions from which the tension will rise: “can Josuke and Koichi get to Jotaro before Hazamada does?” “If Hazamada gets to Jotaro before Josuke and Koichi, will Jotaro be able to tell that Surface is an impostor?”

Josuke makes a beeline for the nearest phone booth – wow, after Stardust Crusaders looks like JJBA goes back to being a period piece! :v: - and he dials the hotel Jotaro is staying in.

Side note: :laffo::laffo:

Curses, foiled again!

Koichi’s expression and placement in this panel cracks me up. Also, guys, how is this shocking? If Surface-as-Josuke can think of anything Josuke would and the first thing Josuke thinks to do is to call Jotaro, then it doesn’t seem at all surprising that the line is busy. Really at this point if I were Josuke I’d tell Koichi to start spitting ideas at me and then use the least bad one.

Still, this stunning revelation gives us this neato panel:

I really like the art here. This is just a drat cool portrait of Josuke being shocked as gently caress.

Josuke asks Koichi how many other phone booths there are at school – OH I GET IT ‘cause for Hazamada and Surface to be calling Jotaro they would have had to place the call pretty much immediately after leaving the locker room which means they must still be on campus. Koichi rattles off a list of phone booths scattered hither and yon. Man so they could be all sorts of places. Upon realizing this, Josuke looks excited as gently caress:

MEANWHILE…

Once again Araki uses a zoomed-out aerial view to establish a scene transition.

Surface-as-Josuke tells Jotaro to come to the Morioh Station ASAP, saying that he’ll fill in Jotaro on the details about another stand user he learned about from Kobayashi. Jotaro tells him that he’ll be there in 15 minutes. Surface hangs up and he and Hazamada exchange poo poo-eating grins.

Hey that’s pretty scary! At no point did Josuke or Koichi mention Kobayashi or the photo within earshot of Surface or Hazamada so I guess Surface was tapping into Josuke’s memories to come up with what he said to Jotaro. So in an indirect way I suppose that makes Hazamada capable of reading people’s minds.

And unfortunately Jotaro leaves before the real Josuke’s call goes through. Nice perspective/eye-guiding happening in that panel with the phone by the way. Man, none of this would have happened if they had cell phones. I’m now imagining Jotaro and Josuke running around with those massive vintage 1993-era cell phones that Araki had to have been aware existed at time of writing. Fan artists out there – you know what to do.

Josuke calls the front desk to ask them to look out for Jotaro, but Jotaro is already walking out the door by the time Josuke is able to speak to the concierge.

AW YISS KOICHI MAKING PLANS! Go get that copy!

MEANWHILE…

HA oh my this panel. Hazamada gothing it up while seeing all the girls cooing at what they think is Josuke. (Hmm, also his posture reminds me of the posture Surface first had after taking Josuke’s form.) I’m also thinking about Hazamada’s earlier comment about how stand users are basically better than other people. I read once that people with low self-esteem see the world as being full of people who are superior or inferior to themselves. Calling it now: Hazamada is insecure and before he had a stand he resented people he saw as more successful than himself.

Kobayashi, still skulking around for some reason (checking out the girls?) spots Surface-as-Josuke and Hazamada and sprits over to them.

I like how he’s eager to find out what happened. I wonder how much of that is from wanting more juicy gossip.

But wait!

AH!

Ahh yes some nice tense stuff here since you KNOW Kobayashi’s gonna get attacked so you just have to bite your nails until the comic reveals to you how.

Wait for it….

:drat:

Check out that double chin. Hazamada confirmed for resentful loser.

MEANWHILE…

The girls from before spot Josuke and Koichi heading off campus. “Why are you coming out of school again?” asks one. “I thought you just left,” says another.

Ha ha ha, I hope this is as silly in Japanese as it is in English.

Postscript:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Xibanya posted:

The writing here is a bit vague but I think that Surface is telling Josuke that he’ll stop his attack if Josuke promises to skip town with Jotaro. Otherwise I’m not sure what Surface is getting at here.

“Even if you struggle, you gotta give up some time, Josuke!”
He's saying "My way or the highway," basically. Josuke can get with the program or he can get outta town. Hazamada's not interested in anybody trying to change his mind or stand up to him.

Xibanya posted:

But yep, looks like Josuke didn’t stab his eye out after all, Koichi just fooled Hazamada into thinking he did! (wouldn’t it be obvious because Surface didn’t stab his own eye out? I’m probably overthinking this.)
No because he didn't actually stab his own eye out. Surface just creates an initial copy, it doesn't mirror damage taken or anything.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

No because he didn't actually stab his own eye out. Surface just creates an initial copy, it doesn't mirror damage taken or anything.

But if it didn't stab its own eye out then how could it make Josuke do same? If it didn't make a motion that would cause that to happen, how could Hazamada think Josuke made a motion that would cause that to happen?

Will freely admit at this point I'm nitpicking for fun and actually in the thematic and narrative sense everything has been totally solid so far.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Xibanya posted:

But if it didn't stab its own eye out then how could it make Josuke do same? If it didn't make a motion that would cause that to happen, how could Hazamada think Josuke made a motion that would cause that to happen?

Will freely admit at this point I'm nitpicking for fun and actually in the thematic and narrative sense everything has been totally solid so far.

Josuke had the pencil, not Surface. As long as Surface's hand moved close enough to its eye, it could probably be fooled into thinking Josuke popped his own eye.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke "Stabbed" his own eye out with a pen.

Surface wasn't holding a pen, he just brought his fist up to his eye.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was going to write up something profound about how this was a better outing for Koichi's Stand abilities than the previous arc, but now all I can think about is that Josuke's school apparently has a cabinet full of AIDS. :stare:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was going to write up something profound about how this was a better outing for Koichi's Stand abilities than the previous arc, but now all I can think about is that Josuke's school apparently has a cabinet full of AIDS. :stare:

And yet it was Kakoyin who was the console gamer ...

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It looks like a poster on a door to me. Probably one of those "How to prevent AIDs" school posters or something.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

Josuke "Stabbed" his own eye out with a pen.

Surface wasn't holding a pen, he just brought his fist up to his eye.

ChaosArgate posted:

Josuke had the pencil, not Surface. As long as Surface's hand moved close enough to its eye, it could probably be fooled into thinking Josuke popped his own eye.

OH!

yeah I totally noticed that....I was just testing you guys....hahahaha.... :downs: LOOK A DISTRACTION!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDWKQzgob8

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Xibanya posted:

Hmmmm interesting. So Surface appears to have a will independent of that of Hazamada. (I suppose perhaps it picks up the personality of whoever it is impersonating at the time? I wonder if it can even move when it’s not taking anybody’s form. Can it take Hazamada’s form?) Additionally, looks like Hazamada can’t actually see through Surface’s eyes as I had originally assumed - I figured he could use it for scouting like Kakyoin used Hierophant Green. And then Hazamada had to tell Surface to pick up his shoes, which would imply that he can’t control his stand through his will alone, although it does appear that Surface is obedient to him. So I’m wondering to what extent Hazamada can control his own stand. If he doesn’t give it orders in battle then how does it know what to do? Was Surface making Josuke stab at his own eye because Josuke had heard Hazamada made his friend do that so Surface actually picked the idea up when he imprinted on Josuke? So if Josuke hadn't thought Hazamada would attack his eye, maybe Hazamada wouldn't have attacked his eye. rly makes u think, doesnt it?

I think about this that it might also be that Hazamada, being new to the whole Stand business, does not himself fully understand that he does not need to communicate with his Stand like it's a different person. I think that might've been my initial reading of this back in the day when I read part 4.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought Surface was just an automatic stand, and did whatever he felt like. Since Stands are like manifestations of the user's personality, it's just a way of showing Hazamada is really weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

BaDandy posted:

It looks like a poster on a door to me. Probably one of those "How to prevent AIDs" school posters or something.

This WAS written in the early 90s, so I guess it makes sense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

surface introduces the concept that stands can sometimes have their own personality and converse with the users among other things. ultimately they're at the whims of the user, of course, and can be banished or told to do things as the user wishes.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

surface introduces the concept that stands can sometimes have their own personality and converse with the users among other things. ultimately they're at the whims of the user, of course, and can be banished or told to do things as the user wishes.

What about Anubis?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Davinci posted:

What about Anubis?

I started tapping out a long post on my phone involving that before the app crashed so everyone's spared my garbage words but yeah, Anubis is similar but it's not totally the same as Surface, right?

Surface is still actually tied to one entity, Anubis is a weird fuckin deal. Surface definitely sets up the possibility of Stands that have their own developed personalities. I mean Stands sorta had something like that thus far I think but not to a point where Star Platinum's actually talking to Jotaro instead of just doing what Jotaro says.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anubis is what it is because araki still didn't know what all stands would be like. it's a special case because technically it's its own user. or something. i don't know. surface is an introduction to how 'normal' stands can function like most others yet also have the ability to talk and whatever else. almost being their own character independent of their user, but only present when the user wants them to be around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
anubis's user was a blacksmith who infused his stand into an evil murder sword and so the stand survived his death

• Locked thread