Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Willfrey posted:

Once you get up past 6 players on a team the tonnage restrictions really hurt. I dislike playing in those large groups.

Also that despite all the goon-on-goon love, sometimes groups just don't get into that winning grove.

Don't be afraid to split up if the stompings start to sting. I've been (am) the lance-cancer many a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just assigning one person to be the group leader so you don't all split up and get slaughtered helps immensely. Even a poo poo plan is better than no plan.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

Just assigning one person to be the group leader so you don't all split up and get slaughtered helps immensely. Even a poo poo plan is better than no plan.

Team work is op. This game is loving miserable if people are just off doing their own thing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That's every online MP game ever, though. Get 3 or 4 people together on mumble and you can loving wreck matches with pubbies in just about anything. poo poo, that's half the reason SA posters started rolling pubbies together way back in the Battlefield 1942 era.

If you want a game that will just let you beat poo poo up by your lonesome play a single player game. Or maybe the new Star Wars Battlefront, I guess - they managed to make cooperation nearly impossible in that.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Bubbacub posted:

You could do this in MW:LL. If your mech/vehicle got shot up, you could try to limp home and salvage it, or jump out in elemental armor and sneak around to attach demolition charges to enemies as they went by.

:911:

I once landed on an enemy Hollander, slowly burned through the cockpit to pulp the pilot, then hijacked the mech and used it to immediately :commissar: a second Hollander further ahead.

Then used the spent mech to trap a tank by landing on it with jumpjets. MWLL was :getin: as gently caress.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's every online MP game ever, though. Get 3 or 4 people together on mumble and you can loving wreck matches with pubbies in just about anything. poo poo, that's half the reason SA posters started rolling pubbies together way back in the Battlefield 1942 era.

If you want a game that will just let you beat poo poo up by your lonesome play a single player game. Or maybe the new Star Wars Battlefront, I guess - they managed to make cooperation nearly impossible in that.

I didn't even realize Battlefront was out. I guess that's a testament to how good it is.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Got that sweet 5mil paycheck, is it time to buy the Firestarter blast Prodigy throughout the house, or do I need to wait more paydays? Are there dense urban maps that would allow for me to camp in an Urby , can i stick enough point bank pain dealers on the Urby to make the camp and lure a viable tactic in those urban areas?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In quick play there are a decent number of "urban" or otherwise short range viable maps for short range weapons to work. You'll run into people camping a lot in general. I don't know that trying to lure people into you sitting around on your rear end will necessarily be any more effective than anything else, but you could pillar hump by firing at close range and taking off around a building to break their tracking on you and then come back to hit them again. More of a skirmisher type deal than a shotgun-hooked-to-a-doorknob trap.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mechs are survivable enough that camping in a light (in the stationary sense of camping - running circles around a block or peek-n-poke are different things) will make you die fast. With the exception of an assault unloading on a light (and even then maybe not) you're not going to put out enough damage to one-shot drop someone.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
was thinking like parking the urby in a garage, buddy in locust runs at the enemy leads and leads them back to garage for surprise shotgun to the face. immobile but in cover with only facing allowing for enemy fire. Could use the setup as a bear trap on assault/heavy's Tanya Harding up their kneecap sacrificial turret.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Mechs are survivable enough that camping in a light (in the stationary sense of camping - running circles around a block or peek-n-poke are different things) will make you die fast. With the exception of an assault unloading on a light (and even then maybe not) you're not going to put out enough damage to one-shot drop someone.

I hit a nearly pristine Raven in the center torso with my AC/20 and SRM-18+A yesterday, and it disintegrated.

Felt good.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

various cheeses posted:

I didn't even realize Battlefront was out. I guess that's a testament to how good it is.

We live in a world where the new Call of Duty is better than the new Battlefront game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bentai posted:

Reminds me of something 7c Nickel whipped up back in the early days of open beta:

My animu knowledge is lacking, who is that supposed to be in the cockpit?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Battlefront is weird in that I played the demo and was amazed at how cool everything was (photorealistic rocks etc.) and then after a couple of rounds I was like, ok I guess that's everything and had absolutely no desire at all to play anymore. But oh boy were those first couple rounds cool.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

WarLocke posted:

My animu knowledge is lacking, who is that supposed to be in the cockpit?
I think it's one of the bridge officers from Macross/Robotech.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

Battlefront is weird in that I played the demo and was amazed at how cool everything was (photorealistic rocks etc.) and then after a couple of rounds I was like, ok I guess that's everything and had absolutely no desire at all to play anymore. But oh boy were those first couple rounds cool.

Yeah, it was maybe a few hours of, "holy poo poo this is amazing" and then faded to boredom. Then I realized that there was only four maps, and five DLC packs planned and once the first DLC pack drops you won't be able to play without buying that map pack. It was basically a demo for $60 and a full game for like, $150. :suicide:

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bentai posted:

I think it's one of the bridge officers from Macross/Robotech.

I can't speak for Macross, but it was a Pin Point Barrier operator in Robotech.

It was basically 3 ladies stuffed into a computer closet playing Centipede iirc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kalaxus posted:

was thinking like parking the urby in a garage, buddy in locust runs at the enemy leads and leads them back to garage for surprise shotgun to the face. immobile but in cover with only facing allowing for enemy fire. Could use the setup as a bear trap on assault/heavy's Tanya Harding up their kneecap sacrificial turret.

Problem with that is you'd really have to be on your game to even take out a single component before the enemy robot either blasts you to pieces or runs away. Doubly worse if they bring multiple robots. Luring robots TO an urbie usually results in a dead urbie. You gotta stick and move before they know you're there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

forget what you remember about the urbanmech from TT. Those are successful in this game when they are loaded up with the biggest engine possible and used for harassing.

Or crazy joke builds.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what exactly is "Match Score"? and how do I find out if mine is good enough to get free poo poo?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nuebot posted:

So what exactly is "Match Score"? and how do I find out if mine is good enough to get free poo poo?

After the end of the match, click on the team scores tab. It's one of the columns.

You basically have to die in the first three minutes, or never hit a drat thing the entire match to not get a prize.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Oh wow this free Centurion is a pile of garbage. Std 200, AC/20 and Lrms.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

frest posted:

So upgrade the loving thing!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

frest posted:

It's significantly less garbage with a refit.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Keep the ac20, swap the lurms for srms and I hate to say it, but get a bigger xl engine. You're way blastier than a Yen Lo, just be mindful of your sides, but most folks I run into tend to try and defang the ac20 arm. lovely anime paint job but it's my favourite ever medium to drive.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

frest posted:

xl 255 engine, ac20, 3 srm4

edit: maybe a 245 I forget

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

A.o.D. posted:

So upgrade the loving thing!

The Halloween TBR was a party in a box, ready to go!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

frest posted:

The Halloween TBR was a party in a box, ready to go!

Welcome to the world of freshly bought IS mechs. :v:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Can someone invite me to WoL? I think sebmojo tried, but I wasn't online to accept the friend request. Ingamename is acre

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I like when I'm a giant super slow crab, basically just a mobile artillery, and random players just dash in front of me to fire their small lasers at the missile launching robot in front of us. :( At least the enemy got the credit for the kill instead of me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Log into the Mao webpage and click the link for the event. Log in and if you have any gift boxes you open them there and they are automatically added to your account.

The mech might suck but the cbills are big if you're a new player. I think last event I cleared about 3 mil and the requirements were higher.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The only potential suck thing about the mech is the paint job if it's the same as the reward AH they gave out to people who gave pgi money.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Can you only get each reward once, so you're effectively guaranteed to get the mech if you keep playing, or can you potentially just get an infinite amount of consumables? I've gotten the santa dashboard item though so that's neat.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

The only potential suck thing about the mech is the paint job if it's the same as the reward AH they gave out to people who gave pgi money.

I got it already, it's just the standard green paint.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Can you only get each reward once, so you're effectively guaranteed to get the mech if you keep playing, or can you potentially just get an infinite amount of consumables? I've gotten the santa dashboard item though so that's neat.

You can get everthing but the mech multiple times.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Wished these sorta events were overall score instead of X amount needed per match, 150 isn't alot honestly but I felt lovely when I scored 99 for winning and capping points on conquest instead of brawling around.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So if you are still on the fence about buying an Atlas D-DC...

A few rounds I've gotten lucky enough to sneak around enemies and start wrecking them from behind. This one we just had a good team, but another match my team refused to move from the citadel in River City. I snuck around the E5 area and starting killing a few of theirs, at which point my entire team moved in and won the match after I killed 2 of theirs before being taken down. The DC seems to be a better motivator at getting friendlies to move than the S.

livingiseasy
Jan 27, 2006
I'm in as CanMan39 and either goon group can throw me an invite. I'm not picky.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Played 1 qualifying game, got the mech on the first try. :smugdog:

Too bad I already have two of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Played 1 qualifying game, got the mech on the first try. :smugdog:

Too bad I already have two of them!

So the odds don't seem that bad based on how many people have gotten them already then? Hopefully I get one soon. Free medium mech would be nice.

• Locked thread