Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really don't like how the raids are split into floors. It's dumb and annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I really don't like how the raids are split into floors. It's dumb and annoying.

Excuse me but you're just playing the game wrong. The setup is perfect. Yoship can do no wrong!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mordiceius posted:

Out of curiosity - what would you guys like to see other than a generic answer of "more content"?

I'd like to see 3 dungeons in every new EXDR. Having only Fractal and Neverreap to do last patch was mind numbing and I'm already tired of only having Arboretum and Pharhard this time around. I'm just one person, I know, but I have no interest in LoV and would rather that time had been spent on an extra dungeon.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 22, 2015

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Like I've said, we got slightly less gameplay content in 3.1 than 2.1, but it's not like it was SUPER MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANTLY less. I remember these same "There's nothing to do" complaints back in 2.1. Again, I'm not trying to make excuses for the state of the game, because I agree, I wish there was more to do in the game. I'm just playing devil's advocate to hopefully add some perspective.

I think the big problem is that when 2.1 added all that stuff, it was new content. Until 2.1 we didn't have any extreme primals to fight, we didn't have any bardmodes, and we didn't have a 24-man raid. In a way, 3.0 things away from us that we already had by making them irrelevant, which is the way of themepark MMOs, but the things we lost didn't get replaced for half a year, and then some of the new things weren't as much better as the old things as one might have hoped. I'm sure Knights of the Round EX is great, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but Void Ark is just sort of... there. The gear is ugly and not very useful. Once a week you can upgrade something to i210, but it's not as good as what you might get from diadem and you can't upgrade your weapon because then nobody would give a poo poo about relic.
Then we have dev time going into things like Lord of Verminion (which would be a fun little distraction if the rest of the game had stuff to do) and Diadem (which ended up being a lovely facade of what I thought it was going to be), and the dev team acting like they're out of touch all the sudden.

Personally, I'd like to see some (compared to now) bold job balance changes in each patch and some content that's a little more than "don't stand in the orange circles, dps harder" at all levels of gameplay.

Mordiceius posted:

I actually agree with this. It works for some things, but it also reminds me that the closest FFXIV will ever get to Karazhan or Ulduar (the best content WoW ever managed to have) are the 24-mans and they're too much of a clusterfuck to ever be as rad as Karazhan and Ulduar.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Checked a few pages back and didn't see it but new players should check out the current Humble Bundle. This week is a Squeenix bundle and if you pay more than the average price ($3.99 last I checked) one of the unlocks is the base FFXIV with the free month. Not too bad for $4 bucks plus you get Just Cause 2 which is loving amazing and Front Mission Evolved which is a passable 3rd-person shooter.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Holyshoot posted:

When you pace your raid content releases as slow as wow but with a third of the bosses I'm not surprised.

I, too, remember when Final Fantasy XIV went more than a year without any new raid content.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Empress Theonora posted:

I, too, remember when Final Fantasy XIV went more than a year without any new raid content.

I do too, it was called the time between 1 and 2.0 :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Out of curiosity - what would you guys like to see other than a generic answer of "more content"?

I've mentioned it before, but a focus on increasing the dynamism of current content to require more on-the-fly thinking as opposed to rote memorization. Left 4 Dead and its ilk are what I'm thinking of, specifically: PVE-focused, but with randomized encounters that test your group's ability to adapt. I'd also like to see them increase the interactivity of combat, but that'd require a lot more risk/reward management than the game currently has, and I doubt they'd want to potentially chase people away with a change like that.

Klades posted:

Personally, I'd like to see some (compared to now) bold job balance changes in each patch and some content that's a little more than "don't stand in the orange circles, dps harder" at all levels of gameplay.

To expand on the above combat point a little: the issue is that the current combat system is set up in such a way to actively discourage anything except "Simon Says" gameplay of varying complexity. This is by-and-large a consequence of two things:
  • A lack of real resource management for the majority of the classes.
  • Linear AI that follows a preset pattern with little-to-no variation.
Taken together, players are rarely surprised after completing an encounter with Monster X once. Because their pattern is so predictable (you can literally set a watch by it!), and because your resources are essentially unlimited, there's a lack of space for decision making for the player. In a game with good combat like Dark Souls, there's a constant tension between your resource (Stamina, which is used for both attack and defense) and the opponent you're fighting (who, despite having only a small selection of moves, is unpredictable in their use of them). Because your ability to avoid damage and deal damage are both tied into the same resource, you must constantly make a decision about whether you should risk attacking your opponent (not knowing what attack they're going to use next), or whether you should save your resource for defending instead and wait until after an opponent has attacked. You can add additional depth to this by making them more vulnerable during certain powerful moves (thus requiring a high degree of skill to deal damage and then defend successfully), combining different enemy types that cover eachother's weaknesses (ranged vs. melee), etc. Another SE title, Lightning Returns, does this really well by having different Stagger conditions that are usually dependent on hitting an opponent at the right time with the right move (typically when an opponent is attacking you) or blocking their attack correctly.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 22, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think it would be cool if they put in something akin to a horde mode. Waves of enemies, bosses interspersed, see how long you can hold out. Doesn't have to be completely random, as many aren't. But have levels of difficulty. Could even do it base defense style where there are walls/turrets that could be manned.

Could be fun.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Honestly, I think my main content wish (and I'm still extremely pleased with HW overall, and it specifically improved on a lot of stuff I thought was lacking in 2.0, like the leveling experience and zone design) is if there were still three expert roulette dungeons. In between patches I don't play all that much FF14 and that's fine, but what I do like to do is run dungeons so more dungeons would be nice.

The 3.1 expert dungeons are better than the 3.0 ones, though, and since I'm finally making an effort to level alts I'm seeing a lot of dungeons I haven't run to death already on the leveling roulette and the level 50 roulette.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Heavensward has been 10% good (story) and 90% dumb

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, I really would like to go back to the 3 dungeon Expert setup from ARR. Having only 2 dungeons for Roulette is really lame and 3 was the sweet spot to give things variety.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

Heavensward has been 10% good (story) and 90% dumb

100% agree. Loved the story missions and I am highly likely to resub for 2.2 or the next exp for them. But FF14 has kind of awful end game and little reason to stay subbed if it is not your only game or your main social gateway.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

I guess WoW doesn't release raids except for their last content patch of each expansion according to you?

January 2006 - TBC with 3 different raids.
May 2006 - Black Temple
March 2007 - Sunwell added

November 2008 - WOTLK released with 3 raids
April 2009 - Ulduar Added
August 2009 - TOC added
December 2009 - ICC added

December 2010 - cata released with 3 raids
June 2011 - Firelands added
November 2011 - Dragon Soul added

September 2012 - MOP released with 3 raids
March 2013 - Throne of thunder added
September 2013 - SoO added

So looking at that list they release their second raid around the 6 month mark after the initial expansion raids. So if new alex isn't out by January they are past when WoW typically releases their raids with a third of the bosses. So my point still stands.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
It's getting OF-ish but I think they really need to reconsider how they structure raiding and the rest of end game as a consequence of this. A lot of these complaints aren't new, it's just that before they played off their strengths and the good things made people happy enough to ignore the bad.

Last 2 patches what they once did well they have managed to gently caress up in some way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't mind the two dungeon expert roulette because I only run a couple of those a week at most. 50/60/trial are more important towards my relic than expert and I'm doing more than enough poo poo besides expert roulette that gives esoterics that I don't need it. If someone is only running expert, then yeah, that would really suck. But there really is good reason to do a lot of other things too and then you're not stuck with too much monotony.

Also I threw together a group pretty quickly mid day today and we did a lot of newbie carrying through first coil and it was a ton of loving fun. We got a fuckton of poetics for our troubles and a few people got to see a bunch or all of coil. There are so many really fun fights and it's not at all hard doing it unsynced.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone interested in a relic dungeon marathon in a couple hours?

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

-Back to the 3 expert dungeons for each new patch.
-A bit more challenge in the 24 man dungeon. Gimmicky fights are a lot more fun than tank and spanks.
-More difficulty levels for primals. I think what they did with Ifrit/Titan/Garuda with normal/hard/extreme is the way to go, but I'd also love it if they added level 60 versions of old primal fights.
-A bit more focus on lower level content. Maybe have a thing where a random roulette each day gets a bonus to the tokens/money/exp it hands out.
-Some reason to do FATEs other than leveling/grand company tokens/relics.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I would also be happy to see an additional middle difficulty in Alex, and more loving around potential in Vark. I'm heartbroken that the latter isn't as entertaining as CT, and I want a more challenging time than normal Alex but haven't the time or inclination to be dedicated to Savage.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Not seeing a problem.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Not enough base pop for my liking.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Not having to deal with reclearing trash every time we reset a raid more than makes up for boring circular arenas to me.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Kagon posted:

Not having to deal with reclearing trash every time we reset a raid more than makes up for boring circular arenas to me.

Plus having the one pull of trash serves as a nice reminder of the pointless bullshit you're missing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Any district or what not you're aiming for? I'm going to be camping out in Mist to get a medium house.

And also, on that note: my medium house in Goblet 1, Plot 12 will be freed up during the reclamation. It is right next to the PBC/DGKK houses, so stalk it if you want it.

If you're just relinquishing the plot why don't you give it away? Or at least tell someone at what time you're relinquishing it so that some random nobody doesn't grab it?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If it happens automatically he gets a bunch of gil, right?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
picked up the base game in the humble bundle. finished installing, told it to connect to Primal

and now i'm just sitting staring at the loading screen

serioulsy poo poo's been loading for like five minutes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nuru posted:

If it happens automatically he gets a bunch of gil, right?

He could still sell it for however much he's getting if that's the case.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
goddammit ffxiv i wanna play an anime with anime weapons and stab things with them connect already

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

He could still sell it for however much he's getting if that's the case.

That's a much harder proposition. I'll receive 24m from the reclamation. If I wanted to sell it, the person would be willing to pay 54m (24m to me and 30m for the plot). No one is going to do that with reclamation happening soon.

The best I can do is just let goons know it's coming up soon so someone can claim it if they want.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

goddammit ffxiv i wanna play an anime with anime weapons and stab things with them connect already

100% chance the server is full currently and you won't be able to create a character anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordiceius posted:

100% chance the server is full currently and you won't be able to create a character anyway.

rip

do you still have to log in at 8 AM to make a dude

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

rip

do you still have to log in at 8 AM to make a dude

Yep.

I honestly just made it on a low-pop server and then transferred, but I can understand not wanting to spend $15.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vOv posted:

Yep.

I honestly just made it on a low-pop server and then transferred, but I can understand not wanting to spend $15.

yeah i mean i bought the humble bundle because it was five bucks to try it out, i dont want to invest too much if i don't like it

but its not even bringing up a thing where i can pick a server so moot point

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

yeah i mean i bought the humble bundle because it was five bucks to try it out, i dont want to invest too much if i don't like it

but its not even bringing up a thing where i can pick a server so moot point

That's definitely not normal, even during peak hours. Try restarting/resetting your router/all the usual computer voodoo?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vOv posted:

That's definitely not normal, even during peak hours. Try restarting/resetting your router/all the usual computer voodoo?

only thing i haven't tried yet is restarting the computer and reinstalling ffxiv. not surprised that the router didn't fix it, my desktop is wired.

dunno what the poo poo is going on with this stupid game

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Holyshoot posted:

I guess WoW doesn't release raids except for their last content patch of each expansion according to you?

January 2006 - TBC with 3 different raids.
May 2006 - Black Temple
March 2007 - Sunwell added

November 2008 - WOTLK released with 3 raids
April 2009 - Ulduar Added
August 2009 - TOC added
December 2009 - ICC added

December 2010 - cata released with 3 raids
June 2011 - Firelands added
November 2011 - Dragon Soul added

September 2012 - MOP released with 3 raids
March 2013 - Throne of thunder added
September 2013 - SoO added

So looking at that list they release their second raid around the 6 month mark after the initial expansion raids. So if new alex isn't out by January they are past when WoW typically releases their raids with a third of the bosses. So my point still stands.

My point was that WoW releases patches fairly quickly after an expansion hits and then dies for a year+ in between expansions. Siege of Orgrimmar came out in September 2013, and then WoW had absolutely no content at all until November 2014. Highmaul was opened in December 2014 and Blackrock Foundry opened in February 2015. 6.1 didn't have any raids whatsoever in it, so the next raid content didn't come until June 2015, when 6.2 brought Hellfire Citadel. And then there was nothing, and will be nothing until Legion comes out some time before September 2016 (!).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

only thing i haven't tried yet is restarting the computer and reinstalling ffxiv. not surprised that the router didn't fix it, my desktop is wired.

dunno what the poo poo is going on with this stupid game

just restarted the pc, still nothing. i'm officially out of ideas.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Are you using a VPN (Battleping, etc) that expired?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KaneTW posted:

Are you using a VPN (Battleping, etc) that expired?

i'm functionally computer illiterate, i'm not doing anything except hooking my computer to the router with a piece of cat5 and clicking launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Can you connect to any of the other data centers, or is it just primal giving you trouble? If you can't connect to any of them, it might be your firewall.

• Locked thread