Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the boobs in trails of cold steel are not that big. i would know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Endorph posted:

the boobs in trails of cold steel are not that big. i would know.

Well, they would still be oversized if they were merely anime rather than anime big. That said, I would not know. I have not touched the game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Start Trails of Cold Steel

There's no cutscene skip.

UGH, LoH games need cutscene skip more than Final Fantasy X.

I'm getting Valkyria Chronoicles 2 vibes: Military Academy, ragtag group of misfits, most girls have giant boobs with boob groping scene 15 minutes into the game, gggrrrr Nobles vs. Commoners gggrrr.

What a difference having a main character who is not as retarded as Alan was in VC2. I can enjoy this game.

Apparently, if you hold down the cancel button (presumably the O button) during cut scenes, the game speeds up. Not a skip button, but it'll probably help.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

fc and sc did this also.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why would you want to skip cutscenes when they're the only part of the game that's good

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I finally started up Trails in the Sky after it was rotting in my Steam library for who knows how long, and boy does it have a lot of words. Does it lighten up on that front later?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Lol no

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I finally started up Trails in the Sky after it was rotting in my Steam library for who knows how long, and boy does it have a lot of words. Does it lighten up on that front later?

Having a lot of words is the series' defining feature, if anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I see. Well, I'll just bear with it for now.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

You sir, are a very funny man.

In other news, picked up my copy of Cold Steel today, but didn't get much playtime in. Only some of the initial part, and then the game decided it wanted to download ver 1.01 after about 4 enemies. Had other things to do, and never got back to it. I'll probably put a fair amount of time in tomorrow after work. I am surprised they didn't use that opening segment for the combat tutorial though, even if stuff is easy to figure out if you've played any of the other Trails games. Presumably that will be later(or maybe not since I'm playing on hard?).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have only semi-jokingly described the game to some people as a visual novel with a battle system tacked on.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Endorph posted:

why would you want to skip cutscenes when they're the only part of the game that's good

Sometimes I reload saves because I feel like I made the wrong choice.

Holding down circle is fast enough I guess.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I paid for cold steel vita but the vita ps store is down so i cant start the download :(.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So. I just (finally) got my copy.

How hard is Nightmare?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yay it's finally downloading.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supremezero posted:

So. I just (finally) got my copy.

How hard is Nightmare?

The ingame description is "balanced for NG+, perfect for replays".

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I finally got fed up with Amazon not having the Vita LE in stock and instead bought it while Christmas shopping today. Looking forward to playing Trails of Cold Persona tonight

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've only played a little of Cold Steel but so far it seems pretty decent.

Load times on the Vita are just long enough that they annoyed me at first, but I've gotten used to them. There's some slowdown in busy town areas, but none in combat that I've yet noticed.

Orbments are fancier than ever. Everyone gets eight slots, plus a "Master" slot for unique quartz that level up. Also they're cell phones. Quartz have been made crappier, though. So far they've all provided either a passive bonus or an art, not both. It looks like they can be upgraded to do both like in Trails in the Sky.

You can buy orbment case covers for 20,000 mira apiece. :lol:

Quests come from teachers and the student council. There are some NPCs who have "bracer" written all over them, but your party isn't affiliated with the Guild, which also means you don't get paid. It looks like you're expected to sell sepith as your main income now--you get lots, and there are scrap sepith that are only good for selling.

Party members pair off in combat, and if one knocks an enemy off-balance then the other can jump in for a follow-up swing. Physical damage types are a thing, sort of; they don't affect damage, but how easily enemies can be knocked off-balance.

You get enough CP to spam crafts all over the place, but only one party member so far has started with an S-Craft.

The social links aren't as involved as Persona's. They're XP and level-based, and on free days, you get a limited number of short scenes where your character helps somebody with some chore and they talk a bit, then you get a bunch of link XP. These scenes don't advance time; you do that by going back to the dorm or to the haunted schoolhouse that's standing in for Tartarus. Leveling links up makes party members better at pairing up in combat. Combat can also give you a tiny bit of link XP.

The music has all been good. The writing isn't as good as Trails in the Sky's but it has its moments. Overall if you've ever enjoyed any Legend of Heroes or anime high school game, this is probably a safe bet.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 24, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

This post really seems like parts of it should be spoiler'd.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Supremezero posted:

This post really seems like parts of it should be spoiler'd.

I've ditched the spoilers, I hope. The rest is all stuff you'd learn from tutorials in the first hour or two.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 24, 2015

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Orbments are fancier than ever. Everyone gets eight slots, plus a "Master" slot for unique quartz that level up. Also they're cell phones. Quartz have been made crappier, though. So far they've all provided either a passive bonus or an art, not both. It looks like they can be upgraded to do both like in Trails in the Sky.
Which feels ridiculous as heck coming off of SC. Specifically the main task of Chapter 8.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

pick-e posted:

Which feels ridiculous as heck coming off of SC. Specifically the main task of Chapter 8.

It's been 2 years (A year and a half? Iunno), remember. And Olivier had a cell phone even back at the start of FC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Supremezero posted:

It's been 2 years (A year and a half? Iunno), remember. And Olivier had a cell phone even back at the start of FC.

I think his was an artifact or something? I remember Schera commenting on it.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
For those of you who don't care, I'm doing first impressions of Trails of Cold Steel at my stream right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I think his was an artifact or something? I remember Schera commenting on it.
Just the opposite, wasn't it?. It wasn't an artifact, it was advanced Erebonian technology. Schera said they only had a few prototypes of those running around. A few years is pretty reasonable for something to go from prototype to common-use.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Nah it was an artefact he states at some point in SC that he kept on getting nervous around Mr Grail Knight because of it.

As for the pace of technological change you're talking about a setting where they went from slow airliners to basically have a gunship filled with radar and video conferencing technology, cell phones being more common in 2-3 years isn't really a stretch considering the crazy pace of change they already established was occuring.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... is there a reason Rean loses his voice acting after the prologue even others are still voiced?

Is it trying to be more like Persona?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SorcerousHam posted:

Nah it was an artefact he states at some point in SC that he kept on getting nervous around Mr Grail Knight because of it.

As for the pace of technological change you're talking about a setting where they went from slow airliners to basically have a gunship filled with radar and video conferencing technology, cell phones being more common in 2-3 years isn't really a stretch considering the crazy pace of change they already established was occuring.
oh yeah, my bad.

That said presumably they just reverse engineered it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in the translated prologue to Zero it's made out like technology is progressing at a really fast pace, probably cause things are mainly being reverse engineered instead of invented

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hasn't the world been in kind of an accelerated industrial revolution ever since the 100 day war war ended?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

Hasn't the world been in kind of an accelerated industrial revolution ever since the 100 day war war ended?
Sure, but not a single home in Liberal had a television and suddenly their flagship airship has a foldout flatscreen monitor. Strange progression of tech compared to our world I suppose. In FC Estelle/Joshua were amazed by Zeiss' escalators heh.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm almost at the end of ys 2 and i'd like to ask a question

what the gently caress is up with these loving bats

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

pick-e posted:

Sure, but not a single home in Liberal had a television and suddenly their flagship airship has a foldout flatscreen monitor. Strange progression of tech compared to our world I suppose. In FC Estelle/Joshua were amazed by Zeiss' escalators heh.

That part's not really that odd, when you consider that orbments don't work quite the same way as our tech. Flatscreen monitors would most likely be the default. That combined with it being top of the line military makes a bit more sense.

No, what's strange tech progression is having high speed air ships before cars.

The Colonel posted:

i'm almost at the end of ys 2 and i'd like to ask a question

what the gently caress is up with these loving bats

Are they driving you

*beat*

Batty?

:downsrim:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey surprise the new trails game seems like it's pretty good

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Supremezero posted:

... is there a reason Rean loses his voice acting after the prologue even others are still voiced?

Is it trying to be more like Persona?

There are still plenty of scenes where he has voiced lines, and I can't really figure out why certain segments are voiced and others aren't - it sometimes changes in mid-scene. That said, generally at least when he's talking to himself he's silent.

Possibly for space considerations, but that's just a guess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Laura's cool because she (Ch. 1 boss spoiler) gets Rean to learn his first S-Craft by telling him to stop being sadbrains at the inn.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

where is this drat notebook!

i can't even do the first sidequest of the game. i can't believe this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

where is this drat notebook!

i can't even do the first sidequest of the game. i can't believe this

It's between the cushions of one of the rest area sofas; I missed it a few times despite looking through there myself. Just examine the middle of the third sofa from the hall until the "!" pops up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Motto posted:

It's between the cushions of one of the rest area sofas; I missed it a few times despite looking through there myself. Just examine the middle of the third sofa from the hall until the "!" pops up.

on the second floor of the main school building.

edit: where's the fishing club at I wanna spend some of these points.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

edit: where's the fishing club at I wanna spend some of these points.

The guy moves around, but he seems to stick by fishing spots. Check by the gymnasium, or down on the little river dock in town.