Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

blowfish posted:

hence the PT, where every scene is showcasing ILM special effects and advanced greenscreen techniques applied to the minimum adequate movie material

How do you explain the endless scenes of people sitting on a couch talking in shot-reverse shot? You'd think a cinematographer could come up with something more creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

did you know that sheev apparently wrote a biography called absolute power

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Power

i'm so glad the EU was killed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ThePutty posted:

did you know that sheev apparently wrote a biography called absolute power

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Power

i'm so glad the EU was killed

They should've had him write one of those cheesy guides to management and have it be a galactic best-seller

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Do the actors doing this ever feel its loving stupid

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Probably until they realize residuals from toys alone mean they never have to work again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

effectual posted:

They should've had him write one of those cheesy guides to management and have it be a galactic best-seller

the 66 habits of highly effective sith lords

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Sheev: Putting a Spin on Negotiating

Chapter 5: Ask for the Rishi Maze, settle for Kuat Drive Yards. ( Then blow up Alderaan.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Probably until they realize residuals from toys alone mean they never have to work again.

unless they get dicked out of the profits by dodgy accounting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

THE PWNER posted:

Idris Elba has said he felt stupid filming the Thor movies because of how little actual acting was involved and he felt more like a prop.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

I dunno but Ewan is goin' to town.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno but Ewan is goin' to town.

Ewan McGregor and Sam Jackson looked like they had a lot of fun in the "making of" stuff. A big part of why I don't objectively hate the prequels is due in a large part to those two just having a lot of fun with it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ewan McGregor should get to be James Bond for awhile as apology for doing the prequels. That, and it'd be awesome.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

so in eu who is the most op badguy

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Calico Heart posted:

Probably Darth Krayt or Issard

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if dudes working on the Death Star argue over who gets to (has to?) push the button to destroy planets. I mean drat, that's a hell of a button.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Calico Heart posted:

Darth Powafuul

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doctor Spaceman posted:

unless they get dicked out of the profits by dodgy accounting

Lucas is too good a businessman to let the actors make that much money.

Light Gun Man posted:

I wonder if dudes working on the Death Star argue over who gets to (has to?) push the button to destroy planets. I mean drat, that's a hell of a button.

Eh, there's probably a whole sequence of buttons.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jurgan posted:

ANH shows about a half dozen levers and 3 knobs as well

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 23, 2015

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GyBfZ1xLhM

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I liked that prison train you had to chase in that one mission in rogue squadron, only cringed when I died trying to get platinum tho

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

sinking belle posted:

I liked that prison train you had to chase in that one mission in rogue squadron, only cringed when I died trying to get platinum tho

The A-Wing mission where you fight off the TIE Interceptors and try to keep your idiot wingmen from dying really set the tone for every single match of Starfighters I've played in Battlefront so far

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Calico Heart posted:

It's Lord nyax. The dude with lightsabres in his forearms, knees and elbows who is also super strong in the force and also bionic.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
what about those alien force negative dudes

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fil5000 posted:

It's Lord nyax. The dude with lightsabres in his forearms, knees and elbows who is also super strong in the force and also bionic.

Nah, Bane and Kryat had really dumb bio armor that protected them from all forms of harm or some stupid poo poo. Plus Nyax never really did anything

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Snoke reminds me of an Engineer from Prometheus. I hope he really is a giant dude, but a giant light saber would be dumb as hell. Just let him gently caress people up with the force and by dent of being loving huge.

Also, anyone else find Finn too jokey? I don't mind the comedy aspects at all, but for a guy who just got out of being a purpose-raised Stormtrooper, he seems too flippant to me. He could have grown into it over the movie and it would've seem more natural.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sleepy.eyes posted:

Snoke reminds me of an Engineer from Prometheus. I hope he really is a giant dude, but a giant light saber would be dumb as hell. Just let him gently caress people up with the force and by dent of being loving huge.

Also, anyone else find Finn too jokey? I don't mind the comedy aspects at all, but for a guy who just got out of being a purpose-raised Stormtrooper, he seems too flippant to me. He could have grown into it over the movie and it would've seem more natural.

The movie wouldn't really work if Finn was super angsty and weird and everyone else was silly and relatable.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Jurgan posted:

There has to be a last button.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
you would think with the power to destroy planets wholesale, they'd at least do the 2 keys to launch the nukes kinda thing.

Or gently caress it, let that E3 down in the weapons bay handle it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

you would think with the power to destroy planets wholesale, they'd at least do the 2 keys to launch the nukes kinda thing.

Or gently caress it, let that E3 down in the weapons bay handle it

Well I mean with nukes you can target any city anywhere from your silo, so there there have to be a lot of safeguards before launching. But with the Death Star it's like, by the time the E3 is firing the Death Star is already looking right at a planet. If some smuck just pulls the lever without authorization all they will do is whiff a shot off into empty space. If they are actually able to shoot and hit a target then the higher ups have probably already decided it's going down.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Right, but this is star wars, so even if the shot goes wild, its going to hit a planet with Luke Skywalker's niece or something on it

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The movie wouldn't really work if Finn was super angsty and weird and everyone else was silly and relatable.

A grim Finn was have been terrible, and I did like his character, it just felt a little odd.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Tender Bender posted:

I mean Han can be lying about his ship and Lucas can also use the wrong word in the script. Unless you want to think Han is such an idiot that he would try to con someone with "Yeah my truck is fast. It can get you from Philly to New York in twenty miles!"
Yeah but it's space jargon on a backwater planet and he thinks he's talking to rural desert people.

How many people on the street would really know what you're saying if you boast that your rocket engine has over 50 gigawatts of delta-v?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sleepy.eyes posted:

A lot of his joke lines seemed like fish-out-of-water type lines that built off his lines as a stunted social weirdo who only ever was around other troopers, so I was okay with it. I feel like he's going to have an arc of going from goontrooper to dashing rogue.

I enjoyed his arc from "terrified defector" to "come get it!" but one of my friend's who overall didn't care for the movie didn't like the coward bits. I brushed it off as something that made sense with his background and character, but then ~my black friend~ who shared my enjoyment of the film also pointed out he didn't like it from the standpoint of the central black character being a coward, and then I stepped back and sort of got it. You could kind of look at it as making him play second fiddle to Poe/Han and slowly building him up to make it more palatable. I think as long as they don't backslide on his earned bravery in the next one it'll be good tho.

There are people who sincerely want him to turn out to be Lando's kid, and I kind of feel like they're too stupid to live. I'd throw fukkin' popcorn at the screen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Otisburg posted:

There are people who sincerely want him to turn out to be Lando's kid, and I kind of feel like they're too stupid to live. I'd throw fukkin' popcorn at the screen.

:agreed:

Star Wars already suffers from a crippling case of Small World Syndrome. The last thing it needs is literally the only two black characters being related.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Otisburg posted:

A lot of his joke lines seemed like fish-out-of-water type lines that built off his lines as a stunted social weirdo who only ever was around other troopers, so I was okay with it. I feel like he's going to have an arc of going from goontrooper to dashing rogue.

I enjoyed his arc from "terrified defector" to "come get it!" but one of my friend's who overall didn't care for the movie didn't like the coward bits. I brushed it off as something that made sense with his background and character, but then ~my black friend~ who shared my enjoyment of the film also pointed out he didn't like it from the standpoint of the central black character being a coward, and then I stepped back and sort of got it.

At no point was race ever brought up or was he made to look afraid for reasons that weren't explainable. He wasn't a coward, he was THE ONLY guy who knew what the 1st order was packing and he was right to be afraid of it , considering they dusted 5 planets in the very next moment. There is a very stark difference between cowardice and sensible fear for one's life. Finn wasn't a chickenshit, he was literally the only protagonist that understood the actual implications of fighting them. And when the fight came to him, he was throwing down harder than any one else, considering that not a single pirate or smuggler picked themselves up and starting throwing blows.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

Yeah this is bad and dumb and will probably end up as racist as the mace windu noble savages planet.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Booblord Zagats posted:

At no point was race ever brought up or was he made to look afraid for reasons that weren't explainable. He wasn't a coward, he was THE ONLY guy who knew what the 1st order was packing and he was right to be afraid of it , considering they dusted 5 planets in the very next moment. There is a very stark difference between cowardice and sensible fear for one's life. Finn wasn't a chickenshit, he was literally the only protagonist that understood the actual implications of fighting them. And when the fight came to him, he was throwing down harder than any one else, considering that not a single pirate or smuggler picked themselves up and starting throwing blows.

That was pretty much exactly what I told him at first, because it absolutely makes sense that a defector from the Space North Korean Army who knows NK has a viable nuke program and was raised and indoctrinated to think they were all powerful is going to be scared and paranoid.

Buuut then it clicked and I told I totally understand where looking at it as a work that exists as a piece of fiction in the world it would bother him and told him as much instead of continuing to whitesplain how it made sense in the plot.

And went on to say I hope the Finn-Rey romance goes somewhere because it would make colossal idiots real mad, and it's the romance Hollywood is afraid to show unless the whole movie "about" that and how Sidney Poitier is ~very clean and articulate as he Comes To Dinner~ or whatever. So if it takes a space fantasy to break that movie taboo I'll take it.

E: Then he mentioned that JJ Abrams was married to an "African American woman" and another work pal who happens to be a black woman was in earshot and got into an argument with him about whether "African American" or "black" was the preferred term and I have never wanted to contribute to a conversation less.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 23, 2015

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

Ewan McGregor and Sam Jackson looked like they had a lot of fun in the "making of" stuff. A big part of why I don't objectively hate the prequels is due in a large part to those two just having a lot of fun with it

poo poo, in his long-distance motorcycling series, Ewan seems pumped when kicks recognize him as Obi-Wan.

Also he talks about how the Mongolian Steppe caused him to have a naked dream in which he was Obi-Wan.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Otisburg posted:

That was pretty much exactly what I told him at first, because it absolutely makes sense that a defector from the Space North Korean Army who knows NK has a viable nuke program and was raised and indoctrinated to think they were all powerful is going to be scared and paranoid.

Buuut then it clicked and I told I totally understand where looking at it as a work that exists as a piece of fiction in the world it would bother him and told him as much instead of continuing to whitesplain how it made sense in the plot.

And went on to say I hope the Finn-Rey romance goes somewhere because it would make colossal idiots real mad, and it's the romance Hollywood is afraid to show unless the whole movie "about" that and how Sidney Poitier is ~very clean and articulate as he Comes To Dinner~ or whatever. So if it takes a space fantasy to break that movie taboo I'll take it.

E: Then he mentioned that JJ Abrams was married to an "African American woman" and another work pal who happens to be a black woman was in earshot and got into an argument with him about whether "African American" or "black" was the preferred term and I have never wanted to contribute to a conversation less.

Lol, you poor bastard.

I figure it isn't "White/Man/Cis/Straight/etc-splaining" when all you're doing is keeping someone else from projecting their own cultural bias on to someoneelse's work though. Then again I'll be honest and admit 99% of the black guys I'm friends with are all former military so their biggest gripe about Finn is that he was a fuckin POG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Booblord Zagats posted:

I figure it isn't "White/Man/Cis/Straight/etc-splaining" when all you're doing is keeping someone else from projecting their own cultural bias on to someoneelse's work though. Then again I'll be honest and admit 99% of the black guys I'm friends with are all former military so their biggest gripe about Finn is that he was a fuckin POG

Are you friends retarded?

In the first five minutes of the film Finn is with a landing party performing the space version of an amphibious assault. He is obviously not a POG. If they think he's POG because he had a job on the death star maybe it's because the First Order is less retarded than the US military and gives combat personnel something productive to do when they aren't on the front. Sanitation is the perfect off-job for a grunt who isn't on the front line.

• Locked thread