Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think there's any tablets with a good stylus that can also be called cheap, even relatively. Maybe last year's Galaxy Note?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

MikeJF posted:

If I want a relatively cheap, nicely portable roughly 8" tablet with a stylus to doodle things on in OneNote and also to be a general tablet otherwise, what're my best bets at this moment. Storage isn't a huge concern.

Asus Vivotab Note 8

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
My mom picked up a Samsung tab 3 for my daughter for Christmas and she had me get it set up. It seemed pretty responsive and should be plenty for her. But does anyone know a good childproof or at least pretty shock proof case for when she eventually drops it?

Edit: I looked at it further and it is the lite edition which does make a difference. I think I will end up getting this case for her which should be suitable for my needs.

Teaches of Peaches fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 9, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Decius posted:

For this it seems not a good idea:
It's a pain with desktop Apps since 90 % don't work with HDPI and give you either tiny fonts or shittily scaled ones. Browsing I need to set the minimum font to 14 to comfortably read websites on my SP4. The few Modern UI Apps do work great, but many lack font settings, often resulting in small fonts, because many lack compared to their Android/iOS counterparts period. Really, is it so hard to implement pull-to-refresh for example?

Yeah, for this it's tailor-made. Just be ready to use it mainly as laptop that's occasionally a powerful, a bit heavy and temperamental tablet with few tablet optimized Apps. Forget trying Steam games with the touchscreen for example, the mouse controls simply don't work that way. I really like mine, but not quite for the reasons I originally bought it for.

Well can I not just plug a mouse in?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Should be able to use a Bluetooth mouse, no need for a plug.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Looking for a 9-10" tablet for my mom for Christmas, budget is around $150-75. She'll mostly use do some browsing and use apps like Facebook, Pinterest, stuff like that. Any recommendations? I saw the Fire 10" was $179 and an ASUS Zen 10" was $155, I don't really know anything about tablets, if these are decent deals.

e: The Lenovo Tab 2 10" is also $179, has a higher resolution than the Fire.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 15, 2015

AstroBravo
Jun 23, 2009
I'm also looking for a tablet for my mom for Christmas. She wants something that she can use to watch Netflix, Hulu, amazon video, and YouTube. She also has a lot of home movies, music, and pictures that she wants to be able to move from her desktop easily. Are there any that support USB file transfer? I don't know anything about tablets...
She also wants to play BigFish games on it, but its main use would be for media.

She has had a Samsung Galaxy 4 as her smartphone for a couple of years so she is used to that format, but really anything that's not an Apple product is okay with her. My budget can go up to $300 to $400 if necessary, but cheaper is fine too. The main thing she wants is good performance, as some of her friends apparently have cheap tablets and are always complaining about them. Thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate any advice, as I am really starting from 0 knowledge here and don't even have an idea where to start.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Unless your Moms are tech savvy, iPads are a really good buy. The extra cash is worth not doing as much tech support, plus you can find pretty solid prices on the Mini 2 and Air 1.

Keep in mind the Fire tablets are not really android tabs, so they will have a smaller app base, and not function like android phones. For Astro bravo I would just research on the Samsung's tabs, they'll have a very similar look/function to the S4.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2015

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
My two children have been saving up their birthday and Xmas money for the past two years to buy their own iPads. They've saved up $600 each, so they have more than enough cash now to make their dreams come true. Since I'm a mean tiger mom I also stipulated that they have to finish the big math workbooks that they started working on during summer vacation (this was extra work aside from school homework and reading 45 minutes everyday 😈) They are almost finished, so I need to decide which model to buy.

Should I buy the mini4 or the mini2? Is 16gb enough? 64gb?I'm hoping they'll keep them for 5 years or so...The kiddos are in 4th grade and have been very good about keeping track of their other devices and not breaking stuff. They will use it to play clash of clans, minecraft, and other apps, watch dumb YouTube videos, read books on Kindle app, and other usual kid stuff.

Any advice appreciated!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you want to get 5 years out them, get the 64GB iPad mini 4.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

My second gen Nexus 7 died with the eternal google logo bootup of death. What do I replace it with? I'm not buying another Nexus or an iPad.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Shield K1.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you want to get 5 years out them, get the 64GB iPad mini 4.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
It's crazy to think of them having a $500 toy, but they did save up the money, so I guess I should just order it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

punchbuggy posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
It's crazy to think of them having a $500 toy, but they did save up the money, so I guess I should just order it.

Don't forget to check Apple's refurb store and educational discounts.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless your Moms are tech savvy, iPads are a really good buy. The extra cash is worth not doing as much tech support, plus you can find pretty solid prices on the Mini 2 and Air 1.

Keep in mind the Fire tablets are not really android tabs, so they will have a smaller app base, and not function like android phones. For Astro bravo I would just research on the Samsung's tabs, they'll have a very similar look/function to the S4.

Unfortunately they are out of my price range or I would.

She is able to do most things on a PC, so should be fine after a few quick tutorials. So I was kind of still debating against the Fire since it can't use Google apps as easily. I checked out the Lenovo Tab 2 and Galaxy Tab E today at Best Buy, and both seemed nice for the same price of $175. The Lenovo has slightly better specs and camera. Has anyone had any bad experiences with either?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is the difference between the Surface 3 and 4 worth the price increase? I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10" android tablet and my old Thinkpad. I'll be using it for creating reports in office, making diagrams in Illustrator, and maybe doing some AutoCAD stuff (nothing too taxing). I also want to read and annotate stuff in portrait mode. I could probably get away with a 128gb i3 model.

I'd wait for the Microsoft Book but it is way beyond my price range (£700/$1000).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eh, depends? I'd get the SP4 type cover at any rate, it's a lot better than the one that debuted with the SP3. AutoCAD would be a good indicator to go for the SP4 just because the cooling has been improved (read: less noise).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I like my Surface Pro 4. Its very quick (i5), the optional keyboard feels good, battery life is decent, and the screen is fantastic. The pen and OneNote functionality is cool too. I can't speak for the 3 much, but from what I saw in-store, the pen mounting and keyboard cover were definitely improved. Just be aware that there's a bug in the 4 that prevents it from sleeping fully (hibernating is fine for now). Microsoft plans on fixing it next quarter. I also have an issue where it forgets the keyboard is there sometimes, but reattaching it fixes it. So yeah, it's not totally perfect, but it's pretty drat good.

EDIT: I actually was considering the Book at first, but the motorized hinge jammed while the sales guy was demonstrating detaching the tablet half. There is a wizard in Windows to reset the latch, though. Aside from the malfunction, the fact that it's motorized made me feel really uneasy. The screen also bounces around when you use the pen, which I found super annoying. The hinge doesn't hold it still. The kickstand on the Pro holds the screen still during pen use. These things were enough to get me to consider the Pro 4 instead of the Book.

azurite fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 23, 2015

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
The 3 Pro has really bad cooling, so it's not that usable as a laptop replacement since it throttles to half its speed with any load.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cisneros posted:

The 3 Pro has really bad cooling, so it's not that usable as a laptop replacement since it throttles to half its speed with any load.

Not true and not true. They fixed both of these things.

Source: my SP3

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Not true and not true. They fixed both of these things.

Source: my SP3

Weird, I bought this one in august and it does it from the box, is it something I have to change?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Gonna try and get a tablet if there are any good boxing day/year end sales. Thinking about either the ipad Mini 4 or Air 2, and after looking at amazon prices and reading the last couple pages of the thread I was leaning more towards the Mini 4 rather than the Air 2 based on price point.

What im not sure of is how much of a difference the screen size ends up being. Without playing around with them in person I can't really tell.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 26, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never really heard anyone complain about the Mini's screen size. The only thing I'd really consider it limiting on is reading comics if you plan on doing that lots.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What would be a good tablet for an old timer? Getting one for my dad, and he's in his early 80s and while he knows how to use a computer, I wouldn't want something too complex for him.

He's mostly just use it for email, banking and browsing the news, and I was considering Ipads if only because that's the only ones I've encountered, but they all seem hella expensive. Any suggestions?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What would be a good tablet for an old timer? Getting one for my dad, and he's in his early 80s and while he knows how to use a computer, I wouldn't want something too complex for him.

He's mostly just use it for email, banking and browsing the news, and I was considering Ipads if only because that's the only ones I've encountered, but they all seem hella expensive. Any suggestions?

How close is he to you and to an Apple Store?

I always thought that the biggest reason to buy your less tech friendly relatives an iPad was so they could go some place for help instead of asking you but my friends mom said she was turned away from our local Apple Store because she didn't buy it there. Well, of course she didn't buy it there, it was a gift from her kid that lives out of town.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My incredibly non-tech savvy mom and aunt both use the hell out of their Kindle Fires. My mom, in fact, has two because she frequently forgets to charge one. :)

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

A biggish Kindle would do for that just ask yourself if he would be ok to be locked to Amazon for digital media purchases...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
He's closer to me than an Apple store, furthermore I haven't used apple products for more than a decade, though googling would probably solve any issues with it.

I don't think he'd super mind being locked into Amazon, but what browser does the Kindle Fire use? Would it work with online banking?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It uses the Amazon browser, which is probably a fork of the stock Android browser.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Bit the bullet, went with the Ipad Air 2 64GB Wifi, with a KHOMO case, and picked up a microsoft universal mobile keyboard as i've heard good things about it.

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
Anyone got more info on this?

http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Samsung-Galaxy-TabPRO-Series-Official-Android-5-1-1-Lollipop-Update-is-coming-by-Early-Q3-2015

Afaik it's still not out?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ugh like the shield k1 a lot but I really miss double tap to wake. Are there any good cases that switch the screen on automatically when opened?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have a Galaxy Tab 4 - it was supposed to have Lollipop a year ago and still nothing

The comment sections on Youmobile for a lot of Samsung products are just "gently caress you Samsung" - and rightly so!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

I have a Galaxy Tab 4 - it was supposed to have Lollipop a year ago and still nothing

The comment sections on Youmobile for a lot of Samsung products are just "gently caress you Samsung" - and rightly so!

Yeah, Samsung, and really all manufacturers, drop support for their non-flagship products very quickly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, Samsung, and really all manufacturers, drop support for their non-flagship products very quickly.

But it has "PRO" in the name! It must be a flagship!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well it's a Windows device so you'll just get updates normally like you do with any PC even if Samsung fucks off and dies tomorrow.

Really curious what happened in OLED technology that it's suddenly available in a bunch of PCs. Hopefully they somehow mitigated the LED decay so it doesn't go to poo poo after a displaying the taskbar 24/7 for a week straight.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I'm looking to buy a second-hand Samsung galaxy tab A. I haven't used an android device since the first Samsung Galaxy phone do I'm out of the loop.
Is there anything I should be checking so I don't get screwed? Does android have a security thing like Apple's iCloud lock?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should ask in the Android tablet thread.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yo I don't know if it's a tablet but I gotta say the surface pro 3 is dope especially with the dock to have a dual monitor setup

That's my story thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
I bought a dell venue 8 windows 8 version for an insanely low price a while ago and had fun with it for a while. I decided to upgrade it to windows 10 (because hey, free and I hate windows 8) and it really hasn't run smoothly since. It's really slow at times and the OS itself won't play nicely with the touch controls most of the time. Since I'm just using it for ebooks and web browsing, is there an easy way to just put Android or Linux on it instead and still have all of the touch stuff still work alright, or is there an easier way to try to do what I want here?