Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

it's not the worst auschwitz tattoo ever though

Hahaha, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hogmartin posted:

If I ever get to the point where I think "meh, I've seen worse Auschwitz tattoos" well then I just don't even know what.

Think about what HEY GAL said.

Think about it.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Think about what HEY GAL said.

Think about it.

Yeah I completely missed that one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sure they used it for wounds on the inside, if you know what I mean.

Emotions can be wounded too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

hogmartin posted:

Yeah I completely missed that one.

Well, officer, that's why when dealing with humor that black, you make sure to shoot a couple dozen rounds at it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they also understand the use of alcohol for cleaning wounds?

Not really, there's a bunch of stuff that mentions boiling wine being used but that doesn't really sterilize anything.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

HEY GAL posted:

my dad posted:

Well, officer, that's why when dealing with humor that black, you make sure to shoot a couple dozen rounds at it.

Lmao thread on point tonight :vince:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kemper Boyd posted:

Not really, there's a bunch of stuff that mentions boiling wine being used but that doesn't really sterilize anything.

Probably improvised anesthetic. I know undiluted rum or whiskey was commonly given (along with a rope or stick to bite down on) in the 19th century as basically the only comforts for surgery, including amputation.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The booze is for the surgeon, to improve his enthusiasm.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Fangz posted:

The booze is for the surgeon, to improve his enthusiasm.

You don't want trembling hands now do you? :v:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they also understand the use of alcohol for cleaning wounds?

you kind of need germ theory for the idea of antiseptics to be in widespread use.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Tias posted:

Strafgericht

Not a native speaker either (amateur hour here) but doesn't this just mean the same thing as "strafrecht" (criminal law)? In Swedish, the cognate word "rätt" means both "recht" (law, in the sense law as a science/field of study) and "gericht" (court of law)*. Compare "gerichtlig" which means "judicial".

* it also means "right" in the sense "right or wrong", but that's not relevant here.

HEY GAL posted:

idgi

e: are you referring to the nazi identity numbers they tattooed on people?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 23, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you kind of need germ theory for the idea of antiseptics to be in widespread use.

I dunno, it could have been figured out through trial and error. "These wounds don't infect as often when distilled spirits are poured on them as when we pour water." Just like how they were reaching toward nutrition knowledge with citrus being used to prevent scurvy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

This.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Right, realized it myself just now.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

And we're on page 818 too!:hitler: (Heil Adolf Hitler)

Too spooky :ghost:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno, it could have been figured out through trial and error. "These wounds don't infect as often when distilled spirits are poured on them as when we pour water." Just like how they were reaching toward nutrition knowledge with citrus being used to prevent scurvy.
they used to pour boiling oil or tar on wounds until some spanish military surgeon (the unsung heroes of the early modern period, filling their official government hospitals with quiet diligence) figured out that people healed faster when you didn't do that.

They do wash wounds though, and sometimes add stuff like white lead to the water. the reasons made sense in their belief system, but they would have had antiseptic properties as well. Hell, Pare (whom everyone should read) says you have to "clean the filth" out of all wounds. so i'm with you here.

and in terms of surgical technique--how to amputate, how to tie off a vein, how to remove cataracts, etc--they're pretty good. it gets better in the 19th century (tools are more sophisticated, for instance) but not very

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 23, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

TheFluff posted:

Not a native speaker either (amateur hour here) but doesn't this just mean the same thing as "strafrecht" (criminal law)? In Swedish, the cognate word "rätt" means both "recht" (law, in the sense law as a science/field of study) and "gericht" (court of law)*. Compare "gerichtlig" which means "judicial".

* it also means "right" in the sense "right or wrong", but that's not relevant here.

Yeah, it's the same in Danish, though we also have the "domstol", which directly translated means "chair of judgment" :black101:

I think you're quite correct, I read the wrong term somewhere (drat you, Danish Beevor translations!) and figured it was right.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Tias posted:

Yeah, it's the same in Danish, though we also have the "domstol", which directly translated means "chair of judgment" :black101:

That's good because "Doom Stool" sounds like a proctologist's death metal band.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And now I know that only Auschwitz had tattoos. Also, that we took our word for gypsy from the Prussians.

Daaamn, you could make a dark history sperg sketch about being a paper pusher in a camp, discussing merits of different numbering system for prisoners and what not.

Also, what's "munition armor"?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

JcDent posted:

Also, what's "munition armor"?

Mass produced one size fits all armour. Usually just helmets and cuirasses rather than entire suits

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So I went and joined our local 30W re-enactment group after finding out I had several friends already in there.
The website is: http://gars.harmaasudet.fi but it's only partially in english.
They did make a great christmas-ish picture [img]
A musketeer can dream (although I'll be training with a pike instead).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

I'll be training with a pike instead
:krad:

i've never seen that flag before, has that group ever come to Germany/the Netherlands/the Czech republic?

if you ever do, you and we will probably be working together. hit me up.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

And now I know that only Auschwitz had tattoos. Also, that we took our word for gypsy from the Prussians.

And that if you were in the local prison and it ran out of space, they'd send you to Auschwitz :stonk:

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GAL posted:

i've never seen that flag before, has that group ever come to Germany/the Netherlands/the Czech republic?

f you ever do, you and we will probably be working together. hit me up.

The whole thing is a bit more than one year old, I think they have taken part in quite a few events, something in Czech at least and Palmanova. They were a part of Altblau (https://www.altblau.cz/en/ , but that site is kinda wonky) 'll give a shout when we go somewhere, but first I'll have to get some gear together.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

The whole thing is a bit more than one year old, I think they have taken part in quite a few events, something in Czech at least and Palmanova. They were a part of Altblau (https://www.altblau.cz/en/ , but that site is kinda wonky) 'll give a shout when we go somewhere, but first I'll have to get some gear together.
Sick. If your Hauptmann is anything like mine, enjoy the emails with GOD WITH US as the valediction.

Also, it pleases me that Swedes are color-coded for your convenience.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ataxerxes posted:

So I went and joined our local 30W re-enactment group after finding out I had several friends already in there.
They did make a great christmas-ish picture [timg] [img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5777/23839923891_e95f1c43c4_b.jpg[/timg]

You'll put your eye out, kid.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Recommendations for a good survey book on the Mongols?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

quote:

Originally, a special metal stamp, holding interchangeable numbers made up of needles approximately one centimeter long was used. This allowed the whole serial number to be punched at one blow onto the prisoner's left upper chest. Ink was then rubbed into the bleeding wound.

:gonk:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So, between the raw data and a history book is a finely-meshed filter made primarily of loving life bullshit.

here's what happened to me today.

So I went to Milan to see if there was anything on the Mansfeld Regiment in the State Archives. I thought there wasn't but it turns out when I emailed someone a billion years ago and asked them if they had anything on Wolff von Mansfeld they thought I said Ernst von Mansfeld and answered no.

My advisor said that the people at the archives speak English. They don't. And the thing is that despite the fact that half the Mansfeld Regiment's records are in Italian, I don't actually speak Italian. I've been trying! German and Spanish come out when I open my mouth. I don't speak Spanish either but I grew up in a majority Hispanic area.

So I walk up to the desk and say what I've been saying to everyone, "Do you speak English--sprechen Sie Deutsch--hablo Espanol?"

Nope. "Do you speak French?" the woman at the desk says, in Italian. "No, but I can read it," I say, in English. "In school I learned Latin," she says. "Latin and Greek. It was a classics school." "I know Latin!" I say, delighted to finally find common ground. But I forgot to say "cognosco linguam Latinam," I say it in English, and it's too late, she's leading me up the stairs.

Their finding aid is online, which is good, but the computers are down today, which is bad. I spend a while staring at some notebooks. The thing about Romance languages is that whenever you translate them into English the result sounds really elevated because of where most of our Romance vocabulary ended up, except for the really old Norman poo poo. Like, the word "hurt" is Norman and so is "flower," which is basic domestic stuff. So I'm reading the Italian finding aids to myself in my head, trying to decide whether Wolff von Mansfeld is a "celebrated man of arts and letters"? An "illustrious condottiere" or "great captain"? I guess he is, but there's nothing from or about him there.

Nor is he in "Militare--antica--uomini--M," which I know because I actually requested the goddamn thing. It's a box, and inside the box is a thick stack of unbound papers, wrapped in a large sheet of white butcher paper and tied closed with a green ribbon. This stack contains 18th century finding aids, which consist of sheets of paper folded around the letters and documents relating to each person so each group of documents makes a stack, like it's in a folder. A written description is on each of those outside sheets of paper. Things I learned: The Italians have had really good handwriting since at least the 1500s. Italian paper from around the Unification period is pale blue, and I don't know why.

Then I got a train to Busto Arsizio so I could walk through the same streets that my subjects did, or at least their Regimental Secretary because that's where all his documents are dated from. I even went inside one of the churches there. Might some of my guys be buried outside? No idea, but in a chapel next to the church there was a little exhibition of Nativity scenes that had been crafted by the children of the parish. One of them had a number of shotgun shells, some red, some white, arranged around a tiny manger scene made of scraps of wood and cloth.

Also I ended up spending about twelve euros on sausage and cheese. It's delicious, but I'm not sure how that happened.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 23, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The question isn't how you spent twelve Euros on sausage and cheese, it's how you spent only twelve Euros on those things.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
It's very good though. so's the beer. I'm eating and drinking these things right now in my hotel room, and tomorrow I fly to the US. Which is terrible, but I come back to Germany in May.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ataxerxes posted:

They did make a great christmas-ish picture [timg] [img]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5777/23839923891_e95f1c43c4_b.jpg[/timg]

Instead of a musket of course, It is a tightly packed series of well rolled hose packed together in the shape of a musket.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

It's very good though. so's the beer. I'm eating and drinking these things right now in my hotel room, and tomorrow I fly to the US. Which is terrible, but I come back to Germany in May.

Just FYI, President-for-Life Trump has placed new travel restriction on non-white Americans and coming from a known foreign country you may be denied travel papers outside of urban (IE predominantly nonwhite) areas regardless.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Yesterday: Catching up with one 2nd Lt JRR Tolkien of the 13th Lancashire Fusiliers, who has now become a published poet. He's also been training as a signals officer, a significantly safer prospect than being a platoon commander. Meanwhile, Louis Barthas wins a small victory over the Kronprinz by sheer bloody-mindedness.

Today: Wully Robertson takes up post as Chief of the Imperial General Staff, beginning the process of reforming the British command structure into something appropriate to a world war. He's also determined to evacuate Cape Helles immediately, if not sooner. Corporal Barthas finds himself outmanoeuvred by the Kronprinz, but quickly returns to form when he's paraded in front of General D'Urbal.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just FYI, President-for-Life Trump has placed new travel restriction on non-white Americans and coming from a known foreign country you may be denied travel papers outside of urban (IE predominantly nonwhite) areas regardless.
germany is like, super white though. as white as it gets.

also this was not the worst language related incident that ever happened to me, that was when I was trying to describe what i do to the guy who owned that guest house with the shower in the goddamn yard and I forgot that modern Germans call a company a "Fändlein" (or however you spell it) and I kept trying with the words I was familiar with. "Compagnia? Compania? Compañía?" Nope to all three.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

So how often do you wind up speaking in archaic German without meaning to?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I also got an opportunity to see an exhibition of uniforms of the various household troops of the King of France from the 1690s to the eve of the Revolution.

http://www.arte.it/calendario-arte/...luigi-xvi-22251

Any time the King went anywhere during the 18th century he was flanked by at least two of these dudes:

From the 1740s. Yeah, they look poncy, but this is the 18th century French army, which means they exist only to murder:

This is from the 1690s but in the style of an earlier period. The clothes are repro but the halberd is original. You can't see it, but the garters were bedecked with pendant ribbons and at the end of each ribbon there was a silver aigulette.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Agean90 posted:

So how often do you wind up speaking in archaic German without meaning to?
every day

edit: It's really easy to remember that Musquet is the familiar English "musket." Less easy to remember "Schussgewehr" or whatever the gently caress people say now.

edit 2: "pistol" is weird though. Some people call it a "pistola" and that's a cognate, but the other Latin word for it is "sclopetum," which is difficult to remember until you remember it was originally an onomatopoeia. The Latin word for pistol is the equivalent of that shotgun-racking noise you make with your teeth.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Wow, the faces on those dummies.

• Locked thread