Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

If he's making $3K/week after tax, he's grossing close to $300K. I'm not totally convinced.

Weird stuff happens this time of year, I get paid weekly, but my last pay was 3 weeks worth because the place I work at is shut down so they pay it up front, and the one before that was also rather large because the company lets employees cash out any sick leave over 100 hours every year and that works out to around 80 hours. Then on top of that I got a performance bonus cheque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Okay folks, here's some holiday BWM interspersed with general BWM. I did post this elsewhere but there's a bit more to this story which makes this piss me off just that little extra bit.

Context is, I'm fairly poor and live in a housing project with my grandma and my cousin. I'm the only one with a really significant income and the only one with money at the end of each month, usually a fair bit more than I started. I work as a freelance music composer and audio engineer and usually get work with small indie game developers. It's not a whole lot of money but it's going better and better month over month as I get more valuable contracts from devs with better budgets. My cousin is not currently employed, he had to get processed out of an intended military career in boot camp and spent the last of his pay on a PS4 and some food (which is fine, keeps him sane).

Anyway, here's the latest on a heap of pre-existing BWM related frustration:

Myself, in a different thread posted:

[...] My gram gram spent like ~$110 in houshold funds ordering meat and cheese for us (you know those overpriced boxes full of processed cheese and summer sausage—these were exceptionally small) and I got quite pissed off because that would buy a fuckload of rice and pasta, which we've been eating because normally I buy the food and I like ending the month with more money in my account than I started. So far, it's working out well!

She has a fixed income, it comes in monthly, and she didn't have enough to pay the cable bill from last month even though I'd dropped a significant amount to pay off that past due balance she'd racked up. I feel like an rear end in a top hat consumed by greed, but at the same time it's spending like this and getting loans willy nilly for retarded loving poo poo that keeps us poor! :doh:

Yes, I am implying she took out a loan at some point during this month to pay for this loving poo poo. Gotta have the good life for the holidays even if you live in the worst part of the local housing project :downs:

So what, it's just a hundo on some holiday gift boxes right? Well, this woman has like 1k~2k in debt that she's never going to pay off before she dies, because her income is sapped by paying out $250 a loving month on a storage unit—an expense that, after her portion of the bills are paid, leaves her with next to nothing because she lives on a fixed income from disability/SSI or something.

This storage has been more or less a $250+ ball and chain for a number of years, around 9 or so. The stuff inside isn't very valuable and we haven't seen it since I was in loving middle school. So somewhere in the neighborhood of 27 thousand motherfucking dollars has been sank into this tire fire (really, for that amount of money I wish all the stuff inside would burn—my poo poo included). During the time they were paying for this worthless vampire of a service, they had to live in a motel room for a year of that, and then wound up in the projects. If they'd endured that poo poo and squirrelled that $250 a month away for 9 years, it'd be a substantial downpayment on a house, which is something my grandma erroneously believes she'll see in her lifetime.

No, I don't hate my family at all, but my grandma is no better with money than my aunt for all the poo poo she talks about her and they are both very complicit in their continued poverty.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

There was this guy that invented a game where you hit balls with your hands and it's played on a table. Can't remember what it was called but he poured a lot of money into it.

loving BulletBall https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noyemi K posted:

No, I don't hate my family at all, but my grandma is no better with money than my aunt for all the poo poo she talks about her and they are both very complicit in their continued poverty.

And? I mean, surely by this stage of your life, you must have come to realize that there are those who are deserving and those who are undeserving. While it is unfortunate that your own family falls into the latter category, you seem clear-minded and aware of this.

They will not change. Do not continue to attempt to compel them to change; they are individuals in their own right. Come to terms with it instead.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Yeah, I know they won't. That's why I refuse to pay the storage. My cousin had to tell me about how much money was actually sank into the thing and he's basically just exhasperated at this point.

I don't want to feel like I'm leaving anyone behind to failure or doom, but at the same time I don't want to doom myself stoking the fire in that moneypit. I just narrowly avoided homelessness a mere three months ago and I'd rather not skirt that again.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's in the storage? If nobody needed it for years, this may be the time to let go.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That may not be a decision that's OP's to make, or one that is worth the emotional energy for them to push. If he (she) can insulate himself from the financial peril of his relatives, and harden his heart a bit, then he needn't be his grandmother's fiscal keeper. Giving sane, compassionate advice and modeling good behaviour is a meaningful contribution all by itself.

(I don't mean to imply that a hardened heart is a bad thing here. I had to cut someone out of my life financially and personally, and it was very hard, but ultimately much healthier for me and I think them. It took a lot of feeling like an rear end in a top hat and self-doubt, though, even with the encouragement of those around me.)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Nitrox posted:

What's in the storage? If nobody needed it for years, this may be the time to let go.

You see, that's the thing. I have no loving idea, but I'm thinking all the stuff inside is maybe worth a few hundred, tops.

I've essentially washed my hands of the whole thing though, I said already that beyond critical household expenses that I should be expected to be responsible for, I wouldn't be tossing out any dollars because I like not being in debt.

I mean, even for me, I am extremely hesitant to spend more than $20 on a week's groceries. So naturally I've been getting a bit pissed off about cooking large portions of food at once as well, and not eating it or anything else until it is all gone.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 23, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

So, uh... what's keeping you from checking out the storage unit? Putting aside the inanity of keeping it for that long, I think the curiosity would be killing me if I were in your situation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's to be gained? Only more frustration at how ridiculous it is to be paying to store it, IMO.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's probably furniture from her parents or something. Regardless whether you're ever going to use it again, that stuff has a pretty strong emotional value. So even if you tried to explain to her just how much money she's spent - she'd probably think it was worth it.

We have all kinds of random poo poo in nooks and crannies of our attic that belonged to grandma this or papa that. We're never going to use it, but God help us if we ever got rid of it.

Noyemi K posted:

There isn't much furniture in there iirc, just a couple electronics and some clothes and an assortment of junk. I've got no desire to see what's inside, only to hear that the unit's gone up in flames.

Well then gently caress.

Flame retardent poo poo has gone too far. Used to be your cow knocked over a lantern and everyone got a fresh start.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 23, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

There isn't much furniture in there iirc, just a couple electronics and some clothes and an assortment of junk. I've got no desire to see what's inside, only to hear that the unit's gone up in flames.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noyemi K posted:

I don't want to feel like I'm leaving anyone behind to failure or doom

But you *are* leaving someone behind to failure or doom. You can save them, but you *choose* not to. You should certainly feel that you are, since that is precisely and exactly what you are doing. By your own account, you can reasonably waste a few hundred per month on nothing.

Keep leaving them to their doom, don't change.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

John Smith posted:

But you *are* leaving someone behind to failure or doom.

That takes away all agency from the others in this situation. There is no evidence that Noyemi giving a few hundred (which comes from emergency fund to avoid flirting with homelessness, not a Star Wars figurine budget) would change the course of financial history here. It's just as likely that the others' consumption would expand to exceed their Noyemi-augmented means. Similarly, the others are not doomed by Noyemi's refusal to subsidize storage. If they're doomed, it's by their choices and circumstance here, not by Noyemi's self-preservation.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

That takes away all agency from the others in this situation. There is no evidence that Noyemi giving a few hundred (which comes from emergency fund to avoid flirting with homelessness, not a Star Wars figurine budget) would change the course of financial history here. It's just as likely that the others' consumption would expand to exceed their Noyemi-augmented means. Similarly, the others are not doomed by Noyemi's refusal to subsidize storage. If they're doomed, it's by their choices and circumstance here, not by Noyemi's self-preservation.

While he is not *creating* their failure, he is willingly leaving them to their failure. Which is what he said he doesn't wish to feel. But he should, because that is precisely what he is doing. Your concerns are not valid. If he is willing to devote his life to subsidising their lifestyle, I am sure it is sustainable. For a given value of sustainable, at least.

Change comes from within, and honesty with oneself is part of that.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
You need to stop setting yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

John Smith posted:

Your concerns are not valid.

Oh, ok. That's good to know.

quote:

If he is willing to devote his life to subsidising their lifestyle, I am sure it is sustainable. For a given value of sustainable, at least.

Why is it that "family+Noyemi" is definitely sustainable, but "family" is not? If it's always possible, then why isn't it possible for the family themselves? And if it is possible, why is Noyemi "abandoning them to doom" rather than "letting them find their own value of sustainable"?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

John Smith posted:

While he is not *creating* their failure, he is willingly leaving them to their failure. Which is what he said he doesn't wish to feel. But he should, because that is precisely what he is doing. Your concerns are not valid. If he is willing to devote his life to subsidising their lifestyle, I am sure it is sustainable. For a given value of sustainable, at least.

Change comes from within, and honesty with oneself is part of that.

I'm worried you might be retarded and/or brain washed by an enabling and unhealthy family system.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

Why is it that "family+Noyemi" is definitely sustainable, but "family" is not? If it's always possible, then why isn't it possible for the family themselves? And if it is possible, why is Noyemi "abandoning them to doom" rather than "letting them find their own value of sustainable"?

It is possible. Because he is then "leaving (some)one behind to failure", instead of doing something about it (which will still in all likelihood lead to failure). But he will then certainly not be "leaving" them to it, since he is actively doing something about it.

Mocking Bird posted:

I'm worried you might be retarded and/or brain washed by an enabling and unhealthy family system.

You are retarded, or at least did not read the earlier posts. I endorse him cutting them loose, but recommend that he recognise that that is what he is doing. Basically, what everyone else is recommending, but with an added dose of reality.

So many people, including you, seem to feel that you should deny the reality of an unpleasant truth. I feel that you should confront it directly, accept what it is, and then do it. Don't sugarcoat reality, even to yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Like I said, I don't mind paying for essential expenses (in fact, I make most of the food purchases and all the other bills that aren't storage—I even paid off my grandma's debt to the cable company) but it's also stuff directly related to my survival and I make sure that the food spending is well within our means. I draw the line at anything that would eat away significantly at my future savings and anything I'd classify as living beyond our means—which means luxury food items, entertainment, electronics, the storage unit, media subscriptions, transportation beyond public transit, and even gifts.

She chose to continue sinking money into the storage, and she chose to take out loans to buy food because of dissatisfaction with what I consider to be within our means (long grain rice, dry beans, pasta, flour, yeast, and potatoes with a monthly treat). I've talked to her about this crap over and over, but the only thing I can really do is not toss my own money onto that fire and continue carefully budgeting and making allowances for work expenses.

The reality is that the income pool for the household is small, and I'm essentially the only thing we have in an emergency situation. It won't be so if I put money on the storage or buy gourmet food or packaged meals or takeout all the time.

e: But yes, I do see where you're coming from and it is leaving them to certain doom, but it's not something I can actually help on my income and something I definitely wouldn't just from the nature of my work being what it is.

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 23, 2015

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Don't feed the troll. John Smith is either a troll, or the spergiest person on the planet. It's better to just ignore him.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

Don't feed the troll. John Smith is either a troll, or the spergiest person on the planet. It's better to just ignore him.
This is the best course of action

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Here is a story of a man who is bankrupting himself to bring Christmas cheer to everyone in his crappy little town.

When asked about his power bill to keep 150 inflatables up and running for around five hours per day, plus the hundreds of lights:
""I probably don't want to say (how much it costs). Put it this way, I'm still paying off the balance from last year. But that's stuff other people don't need to know."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Antifreeze Head posted:

Here is a story of a man who is bankrupting himself to bring Christmas cheer to everyone in his crappy little town.

When asked about his power bill to keep 150 inflatables up and running for around five hours per day, plus the hundreds of lights:
""I probably don't want to say (how much it costs). Put it this way, I'm still paying off the balance from last year. But that's stuff other people don't need to know."

I'm amazed that someone who spends that much time and money on Christmas decorations picked 150 of the most half-assed, noisy yard decoration you can buy.

It's colorful I guess. Probably sounds like living next to an airport.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was grinding my teeth until I learned he actually requisitioned a 100 amp service to his house to power all that crap. Maybe not too bright, but at least he's probably not going to burn his house down.

Reminds me of when Bill refuses to stop being Santa in that one episode of King of the Hill.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm amazed that someone who spends that much time and money on Christmas decorations picked 150 of the most half-assed, noisy yard decoration you can buy.

It's colorful I guess. Probably sounds like living next to an airport.
And it apparently gets a lot of crowds, so you get the traffic of an airport too! :v:

Really though, that looks like poo poo. Not just because of how tacky the decorations are, but because of how he just shoved them all in there. It's not really a Christmas display as much as it is a Christmas hoard.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Some teenager who was looking for something naughty to do could have a field day with a sharp knife.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I would shank digicam Santa myself.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

I would shank digicam Santa myself.

If Santa was real, would we feel more or less comfortable knowing he'd been trained to take orders and kill?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

At least he has a house, because hooooolllly loving poo poo that bulletball guy :stonklol:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Slate posted:

My husband and I recently came into some family money in the mid–five figures and are due to receive the same amount next year. We realize this is a good problem to have, but: What should we do with our windfall? We’re in our late 30s, have two small children, and about $150,000 in combined student loan debt. We make a good income at professional jobs but are thinking of making some changes in the next eight to 12 months that will likely shrink our income. We don’t own a house and are content to rent for now, especially since these changes could lead to an out-of-state move. Our primary financial goals are to minimize the student loan debt that our children one day incur and have a secure retirement. I should add that my part of the student loan debt, about $40,000, would be eligible for payment assistance programs if I change jobs. Should we just hang on to the money for now? If so, what kinds of accounts would maximize our return? Should we try to pay off some student loan debt? Or do something else altogether?

Hey we have a substantial amount of student loan debt and we are coming into a lot of money... do you think we should, like, pay some of it off? I Unno? Also I'm going to take a less-paying job.

The measured financial response:

quote:

First, congrats on the windfall. With at least one new job, a big move, and a drop in income all on the table, you’re facing an uncertain year, though perhaps an exciting one. In this sort of situation, my best advice is this: Don’t make any long-term decisions about your money. I’d suggest a one-year certificate of deposit from a bank. This won’t be a path to riches—you’ll likely receive annual interest of a little more than 1 percent. But while you sort out your life, the money will reliably earn more than you’ll get in a savings or money market account.

A CD offers another benefit, too: It makes it harder to quickly access the money. Almost all banks will charge you a few months’ interest if you cash out of a CD early. Some will also take a small portion of the principle as a penalty as well. That’s harsh in an emergency, but it works in your favor, too. It’s almost certain you’ll think twice before dipping into the funds for anything but an urgent need. And make no mistake—if you’re looking at a cut in take-home pay, at some point you’ll be tempted to take some money “just this once.” It’s easy to say you’re cutting back on your lifestyle in the pursuit of a better life. It’s much harder when you see your friends go off on the kinds of vacations you yourselves used to enjoy, or when you’re tired after work and don’t want to cook dinner yet again. (See my comment up above about Chinese takeout!) We get used to things, even if we don’t need them, and we are often reluctant to give them up.
As for the long-term picture, much will depend on what changes in your life over the next year. When you’re ready, sit down with a financial planner who has a legal duty to act in your best interests—that’s the fiduciary standard—and come up with a plan.

"Put it in a 1-year CD, then get a real financial advisor". Which isn't really wrong advice and is ultra-cautious considering they have life changes inbound, but man why the hell pay 5-8% interest on a house-worth of debt when you could just pay it off at least partway? And more coming next year too.

Takeaway lesson: I suppose you could pay off some loans, if you're into that kind of thing. Or just sit on it while you decide to make less money, keeping the debt either way. 50-50, you know? Yeah you're gonna want to spend this money on stupid bullshit and meanwhile next year you're paying something like 10 grand in student loan interest (assuming 6.8%), while earning a whopping $500 in your CD (assuming 50k at 1%). Don't be hasty, even though yeah you have access to guaranteed 6%+ returns by paying off debt. Gotta keep that money handy in case you need to pay for car repairs or something while you're settling in to having less income.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 50k reduction in amount of student loans save them ~$3400 (again assuming 6.8% interest), dwarfing any possible returns from a CD? They say they make "good income at professional jobs" but in that case why are they paying 10 G's in interest? Maybe I'm wrong but all I see is why not pay off something, you have the perfect opportunity you don't urgently need the money for anything else.

Edit: gently caress wouldn't paying off some loans, reducing the debt you're servicing and freeing up not only all the interest but all the principal payments for a good chunk of the loans be the perfect thing to do right before you take a less-paying job? Cause the only other easy alternatives are:

-Buy something expensive (house downpayment, horse/truck equity)
-Put max $$ into IRA's (which let's hope against all hope they're already maxing out)
-Just hold on to the money while keeping the debt, reducing your income, and pissing away your windfall on take-out, home furnishings, etc. and ending up in 18 months in even worse shape than you were, with practically the same debt and now with less income, having paid $10,000 for the privilege of holding onto your shiny new money for a year.

vvv my brother did one of those music-synchronized displays using LED strings and open-source circuit boards he soldered up himself- I think he's in for less than a couple hundred total. Not anything like that inflatable monstrosity though oh my god vvv

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 23, 2015

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I couldn't click on that Bulletball youtube. Saw him on that invention reality show and it's just too sad.

BTW, there are not one, but TWO reality TV shows on competing holiday lights.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-christmas-light-fight
http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/crazy-christmas-lights/
(There might even be a third that I think I've seen but can't find online)

So... holiday lights = BWM. Shows about holiday lights = GWM?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Uncle Enzo posted:

Hey we have a substantial amount of student loan debt and we are coming into a lot of money... do you think we should, like, pay some of it off? I Unno? Also I'm going to take a less-paying job.

"Put it in a 1-year CD, then get a real financial advisor". Which isn't really wrong advice and is ultra-cautious considering they have life changes inbound, but man why the hell pay 5-8% interest on a house-worth of debt when you could just pay it off at least partway? And more coming next year too.

Takeaway lesson: I suppose you could pay off some loans, if you're into that kind of thing. Or just sit on it while you decide to make less money, keeping the debt either way. 50-50, you know? Yeah you're gonna want to spend this money on stupid bullshit and meanwhile next year you're paying something like 10 grand in student loan interest (assuming 6.8%), while earning a whopping $500 in your CD (assuming 50k at 1%). Don't be hasty, even though yeah you have access to guaranteed 6%+ returns by paying off debt. Gotta keep that money handy in case you need to pay for car repairs or something while you're settling in to having less income.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 50k reduction in amount of student loans save them ~$3400 (again assuming 6.8% interest), dwarfing any possible returns from a CD? They say they make "good income at professional jobs" but in that case why are they paying 10 G's in interest? Maybe I'm wrong but all I see is why not pay off something, you have the perfect opportunity you don't urgently need the money for anything else.

Edit: gently caress wouldn't paying off some loans, reducing the debt you're servicing and freeing up not only all the interest but all the principal payments for a good chunk of the loans be the perfect thing to do right before you take a less-paying job? Cause the only other easy alternatives are:

-Put max $$ into IRA's (which let's hope against all hope they're already maxing out)
-Just hold on to the money while keeping the debt, reducing your income, and pissing away your windfall on take-out, home furnishings, etc. and ending up in 18 months in even worse shape than you were, with practically the same debt and now with less income, having paid $10,000 for the privilege of holding onto your shiny new money for a year.

vvv my brother did one of those music-synchronized displays using LED strings and open-source circuit boards he soldered up himself- I think he's in for less than a couple hundred total. Not anything like that inflatable monstrosity though oh my god vvv
I would suggest investing in a retired race horse.

Or paying off the student loan debt after establishing a 6mo emergency fund and a budget that makes them live on the future income. Then throw the freed up un-budgeted income plus loan payments at the existing loans.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/3xzi4g/my_fianc%C3%A9e_runs_a_small_horse_training_business/

quote:

To start, my fiancée and I are in our early twenties soon to be married. Both of us recently graduated college and started building our careers, data engineering for me and equestrian training for her. We are loving this whole adulting stuff and are incredibly hungry to learn about turning her dream job into a lucrative long term path, considering my career already has me on a great trajectory.

SO! On to the LLC part. She has been building on this small business for about 4 years now, and it is starting to get really great traction in the area due to her involvement in the community and the abundance of rich clients that live around the stables she is based out of. She is getting to the point of needing to buy a new truck and horse trailer so that she can haul all of her clients to the horse shows - as well as the limitless amount of tack and supplies she is already having to purchase.

Good with money horse story... this time from a trainer's perspective. Time to spend 50k on a truck & trailer just for horses!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Uncle Enzo posted:

Buy a boat, a quad and a new truck to haul them.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pieces posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/3xzi4g/my_fianc%C3%A9e_runs_a_small_horse_training_business/

Good with money horse story... this time from a trainer's perspective. Time to spend 50k on a truck & trailer just for horses!
That sounds pretty affordable compared to the trucks and trailers that my sisters trainers and friends have. That said, one of her college classmates owns a 3500 and a large (6? 8?) horse trailer and she broke even on it over 4yrs by hauling part of their college team to events. In other words, transport fees add up.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pieces posted:

I know horses are this thread's go to bogey man. But without seeing more of her business plan than what you quoted, it's not outright BWM.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

FrozenVent posted:

I know horses are this thread's go to bogey man. But without seeing more of her business plan than what you quoted, it's not outright BWM.
As long as she doesn't own horses and is just providing services to people with horses it is probably GWM.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Yeah not only could the purchase make sene on its own, depending on what she charges for transport fees. It may open expansion opportunities with new clients who require their horse person to be able to transport them as well as whatever else a horse person does.

If horses are BWM then being the person who gets paid in the equation has a good chance of being GWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Here's something from reddit...

Reddit Man posted:

Been selling on eBay for about 2.5 years bow and about to hit 7.5K in sales probably 2.5K profit not sure. I know I need to put this on my taxes but not sure how. I started when I was 16 and this has been my main source of income since I have turned 18. So how and what do I do taxes for this. I never kept tracked of what items cost and how much they sold for, never thought I'd enjoy selling on eBay as much as I do. I am scared and not sure what to do can someone guide me in what I should do on this. I don't want to get audited.

Thanks hope someone can help me. Yes I am in USA if that helps.

The very first piece of advice?

So Brave posted:

I'll get down voted for this and I literally couldn't care less. But, after my wife and I pay our income taxes, property taxes, sales tax, gas tax, etc.; there's literally 0% chance that I claim my income from something that's little more than a hobby.

You've made maybe $2,500. That's barely taxable. Put aside 10% just in case.

• Locked thread