Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't download any apps personally. The base functions are what I want it for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I spend Google funny money on a new face every few weeks but I can't think of an app I use. It's primarily for notifications and you know, being a watch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

The only third-party app I use on my Wear watch is occasionally Authenticator+. My watch is a notification device.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For me having Android Wear has greatly amplified my use of "OK Google" voice commands. Experiment with some of those (I find setting reminders very convenient, for example), and also things like replying to messages with your voice.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I use mine for music controls in my car all the time, because it's a lot easier to keep my eyes on the road with quick glances at my watch while that hand is on the steering wheel. Notifications have been huge for me too. Being able to reply to stuff without grabbing my phone is great. I've also got an app called Wear Speaker that pops up a button on my watch to switch the phone to speaker, so I can have it sitting in an open compartment in my car, answer an incoming call from my watch, and switch it to speaker, without ever touching the phone. Extremely helpful, in my opinion.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The only apps I really actively use are GolfPad Golf GPS and Hangouts. Everything else is "ok google" commands, music control, and notifications.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Nerdrock posted:

The only apps I really actively use are GolfPad Golf GPS and Hangouts. Everything else is "ok google" commands, music control, and notifications.

What are your most used "Ok Google" commands? I want to see what kind of things the watch can do.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MikeyLikesIt posted:

What are your most used "Ok Google" commands? I want to see what kind of things the watch can do.

ok google, set a timer for x minutes, send a text to soandso, play #artist #album, navigate to #place, and miscellaneous short answer google searches.

it'll do basically anything you can open the google app and shout at it to do, without the watch.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
I like the way navigation works with the watch. My hands stay on the steering wheel, and I don't have to look down at my phone and mess with it to see that exit 234 is still 4 miles away and I need to be in one of the right two lanes.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

ok google, set a timer for x minutes, send a text to soandso, play #artist #album, navigate to #place, and miscellaneous short answer google searches.

it'll do basically anything you can open the google app and shout at it to do, without the watch.

Not everyone knows that Google can learn relationships too, so you can do "OK Google, send a text to my brother", "OK Google, send a hangouts message to my wife", etc.

"OK Google, how did the Lions do yesterday?" and you get the score right on your watch screen. Same with conversions, "OK Google, how many cups in a liter?" etc.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

MikeyLikesIt posted:

I use "OK Google remind me to do X" constantly.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
OP updated.

I haven't been using the OK Google functionality on my phone at all since they removed the "tap to activate" feature. The voice commands occasionally feel a little bit too unreliable for me.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
How's sending messages work on this thing? I assume you're able to make canned responses that you can send out for different situations? Or can I do voice-to-text?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

echo465 posted:

I like the way navigation works with the watch. My hands stay on the steering wheel, and I don't have to look down at my phone and mess with it to see that exit 234 is still 4 miles away and I need to be in one of the right two lanes.

Yeah, the navigation thing is huge. If I'm taking a longer trip, I'll take the time to mount my phone. But if I'm just trying to get somewhere locally that I've never been before that's just like 20 minutes away, the watch is perfect for giving me prompts.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MikeyLikesIt posted:

How's sending messages work on this thing? I assume you're able to make canned responses that you can send out for different situations? Or can I do voice-to-text?

yes, and yes. You can use the screen to select canned responses, or you can speak your own.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

G-Prime posted:

I use mine for music controls in my car all the time, because it's a lot easier to keep my eyes on the road with quick glances at my watch while that hand is on the steering wheel. Notifications have been huge for me too. Being able to reply to stuff without grabbing my phone is great. I've also got an app called Wear Speaker that pops up a button on my watch to switch the phone to speaker, so I can have it sitting in an open compartment in my car, answer an incoming call from my watch, and switch it to speaker, without ever touching the phone. Extremely helpful, in my opinion.

Speaking of using the watch while driving, has anyone else had issues receiving traffic updates since the Google App updated and condensed the cards? I used to get a traffic notification every day on my commute, right when I can decide which route to take that day. I can hear the notification on my phone, but it doesn't buzz on my wrist or show up on the Google App cards.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
got my Huawei Watch today and really really like it so far. I haven't given it a full work day experience yet, but I really like some of the features already.

For other Huawei Watch users, any recommendations or tips on how to make the best of my battery time?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The battery will get better as you stop fiddling with it. Setting up faces/apps/whatever drains the battery crazy fast. Turn off ambient mode if you want it to stretch further.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
You could also turn off 'Tilt to Wake Screen" in the android wear app. If you pair it with an informative and efficient ambient mode watch face, then that can extend battery life just a bit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mughe posted:

I ended getting the Huawei watch as my first dive into android wear. Love the watch but no clue on what apps are "must haves" if such a thing exists for Android wear apps. Not sure if this would be the place but I figured I'd start here.

I'm also sort of looking for bands but to be honest it's really nice... Not heavy which I liked about actual watches but still nice. Watches faces are next.

My favorite place to buy bands is http://www.crownandbuckle.com/

NATO straps give a ton of flexibility to change styles on a whim.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

KillHour posted:

My favorite place to buy bands is http://www.crownandbuckle.com/

NATO straps give a ton of flexibility to change styles on a whim.

I'm take a look at this. Thanks for all the info on apps too everyone. I figured it's more of a notification watch but it's still useful.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can someone try to reproduce a bug I am seeing?

Use the voice command "Send a hangouts to ____ test message"

See if the message actually sends while your phone is locked.

If it doesn't, see if it sends once you unlock your phone and open hangouts.

This is only happening on new hangouts messages, not replies.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I have definitely seen that behavior where a dictated message won't send until you wake up the phone. Kinda misses the point of dictating it in the first place.
I think when this happens, I do not get the confirmation vibration on the watch.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm guessing an android wear experience is quite gimped when paired with iOS? I don't like being locked down to one environment and I happily switch between iOS and Android between phone upgrades, but I've been eyeing the Huawei Watch because of the gorgeous design, but it feels like a wearable would lock me into android a bit more than I'd like.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ijyt posted:

I'm guessing an android wear experience is quite gimped when paired with iOS? I don't like being locked down to one environment and I happily switch between iOS and Android between phone upgrades, but I've been eyeing the Huawei Watch because of the gorgeous design, but it feels like a wearable would lock me into android a bit more than I'd like.

Depends on what you want out of it. Simple notification mirroring? Does a good job of that although I noticed there's a slight delay compared to an android device. I didn't really test all the other standard wear features though.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lowen SoDium posted:

Use the voice command "Send a hangouts to ____ test message"

See if the message actually sends while your phone is locked.

If it doesn't, see if it sends once you unlock your phone and open hangouts.

This is only happening on new hangouts messages, not replies.

I can't perform this exact test because Google Now has trouble when your contacts are split across multiple accounts, but this sounds very similar to an issue I'm having where I can't use voice commands to set a timer. I can set alarms no problem, but if I try to set a timer it'll recognize the command but ask me to unlock the phone to continue.

Worst part is that it definitely worked in the past, then broke, then worked again, and now it's broken again. I don't know how alarms can work but timers don't when it's the exact same app the command is being passed to.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes that happens to me on my Motorola 360 / Nexus 5. I used to try that method to send a message to my girlfriend when I was coming home but it wouldn't send until I got home and she was surprised I showed up. Then I'd check my phone to see if the message was sent (which was in progress) and then her phone would receive it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
FYI: Just threw my v1 360 on SA-MART: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758661

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There is now an Android Wear category in the Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/category/ANDROID_WEAR

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
There's been an Android Wear category for ages.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My bad then, Google put out a little blurb today to feature it.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I have a fat wrist and bought a Huawei Watch with the black metal band. How badly is this not going to fit?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Boner Wad posted:

I have a fat wrist and bought a Huawei Watch with the black metal band. How badly is this not going to fit?

It feels a bit small on large wrists but not too bad. Another excuse to whip out my old photos. Only huatch photo is before I had the band re-sized

Other watches for comparison

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I know I'm probably weird, but I prefer my smartwatch 3 over the original moto 360, and it's almost entirely down to the square shape.

I also like the rubber strap. Make of that what you will.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I know I'm probably weird, but I prefer my smartwatch 3 over the original moto 360, and it's almost entirely down to the square shape.

I also like the rubber strap. Make of that what you will.

I haven't worn my 360v1 since I got my refurb SW3 last November. I'm guessing it's a combo of the shape and band, it seems more comfortable than my 360v1. I do miss the convince of just throwing my watch on the charger.

I'm tempted to pick up this housing adapter so I can throw a NATO strap on it.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

JayKay posted:

I haven't worn my 360v1 since I got my refurb SW3 last November. I'm guessing it's a combo of the shape and band, it seems more comfortable than my 360v1. I do miss the convince of just throwing my watch on the charger.

I'm tempted to pick up this housing adapter so I can throw a NATO strap on it.

That's a good point actually, the only down vote I'd give the SW3 is that charging it can be a bit fiddly, especially compared to wireless charging.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This is the Casio Smart Outdoor Watch.

Here's the marketing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWhv0Yd5Sg

Here it is next to the Apple Watch.

It has both color and monochrome LCDs, allowing it to operate in "timepiece" (dumb) mode for up to a month.

It will be available around March/April for $499.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

It's loving huge... And still has a flat tyre :psyduck:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I just picked up a Smart Watch 3 after reading some disappointing reviews of the new Moto Sport.

I could use some software recommendations.

What's a good fitness tracker app that can link to MyFitnessPal?
What's a podcast app that can store podcasts on the watch so I don't have to take my phone on runs?
What are some cool watch faces?
What other software should I check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Couldn't they put the light sensor in that giant bezel on the Casio? It seems like all the new players just bought leftover 360s and slapped a casing over it.