Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

kazil posted:

bad troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I think he's sort of cute.

This is in no way any endorsement or encouragement of any dumb posting gimmicks.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This is in no way any endorsement or encouragement of any dumb posting gimmicks.

It's okay, we know you miss Otterman. We all do. :(

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He's totes doing it on purpose but yeah sometimes he hits the right spot and manages to make a cute fun post.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Shayu isn't quite as endearing as the otter guy was but s/he's starting to grow on me. I guess I have a soft spot for posts written with weird grammar and some level of seeming earnestness.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fathis Munk posted:

He's totes doing it on purpose

Yes, I know :)

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

DudeGoofyGuy posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/ESRbt

This guy isn't necessarily an idiot (though I haven't looked at every single image to see if they're all correct) but does anyone know why a poison tree frog is associated with academic Latin phrases now? These memes are becoming indecipherable.

Does anyone know if this is accurate information? Some of the slightly more obscure ones I didn't know about, and are actually pretty interesting.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Atmus posted:

Well, most tree/dart frogs are called by their (presumably) latin name, so maybe that's it?

Who knows why imgur people do anything though.

That tree frog is a forced meme about small facts i think

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

That tree frog is a forced meme about small facts i think

Yes, it turns out this meme is known by some as "Good Guy Poison Dart Frog" but more formerly is "CLARIFY FACTS THAT ARE COMMON KNOWLEDGE BUT SOME TIMES PEOPLE STILL GET WRONG Poison Dart Frog," and the earliest use I could find that stated this rationale is also an example of a terrible post.
http://imgur.com/gallery/Md2rrJt

Palisader posted:

Does anyone know if this is accurate information? Some of the slightly more obscure ones I didn't know about, and are actually pretty interesting.

All of them are accurate except for cf., which is indeed an abbreviation of the Latin for confer (conferre), but doesn't mean "see also" but rather "compare to" - it's leading a person to another work but to demonstrate a recognized disagreement rather than to provide further evidence of an argument. Wikipedia reports that this is a common mistake, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cf.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sent to me on fb by a black friend

You can't fix huge problems like inequality with a simple meme- but there are parts of that problem that this meme speaks to

2744 points

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Platystemon posted:

You can't fix huge problems like inequality with a simple meme- but there are parts of that problem that this meme speaks to

2744 points

quote:

Thank God it was a black friend that sent it. Otherwise this would be immoral and untrue

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
He didn't include that the "black friend" then told him to stop being so loving racist or I'll report you to HR again, Kevin.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Platystemon posted:

2744 points

Make it white guys and see if people think it's just as profound and thought-provoking :rolleyes:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Picnic Princess posted:

Make it white guys and see if people think it's just as profound and thought-provoking :rolleyes:

In the white version, the lawyer is a judge, the cop is a lawyer, and the accused is a cop.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EvilGenius posted:

In the white version, the lawyer is a judge, the cop is a lawyer, and the accused is a cop.

And they all go home that night.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Eponine posted:

He didn't include that the "black friend" then told him to stop being so loving racist or I'll report you to HR again, Kevin.

black guys don't have jobs

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
http://imgur.com/gallery/oqlLC

Imgur hates feminists but loves Adolf Hitler.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I love how they think "Hitler wasn't evil for evil's sake" is such an amazing revelation. Of course not he wasn't a scooby doo villain. Yeah he probably believed in his cause and thought he was doing nothing wrong. That doesn't mean he's not evil.

loving edgelords, thinking they have the most amazing rational thought.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
http://imgur.com/gallery/fYOYE1C

"And now she thinks of you the way you think of fat chicks."

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

Is it terrible that the thing that annoys me the most about this is the fact that they capitalized /b/?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

trapped mouse posted:

"I just walk up with my erection and tap each shoulder like I'm knighting her"

Imgur has good comments sometimes.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Here's an attempt at a meme

http://imgur.com/gallery/BewnAhM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Failed due to not being about TPS reports, that would have made it viral.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

twistedmentat posted:

Failed due to not being about TPS reports, that would have made it viral.

Failed due to not being a 300 image gallery of the same image with slightly different banal text on it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaunab posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/oqlLC

Imgur hates feminists but loves Adolf Hitler.

When the hell did Hitler arrange a fancy dinner party with Stalin and Mao?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

kazil posted:

Failed due to not being a 300 image gallery of the same image with slightly different banal text on it.

Out of everything, the Imgur community's "banana for scale" meme is genuinely the most obnoxious thing on the site. Like three years later, and if you spam "need a banana for scale" on anything, those slapwits will trip over themselves to vote you to the top.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Dec 22, 2015

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

When the hell did Hitler arrange a fancy dinner party with Stalin and Mao?

The PRC wasn't even in power yet when Hitler was alive. I bet Chiang Kai-shek would have been thrilled to know that a leader allied with the Japanese was in his country. China was also allied with the U.S. around World War II. Hitler would have never come to China.

:goonsay:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

The PRC wasn't even in power yet when Hitler was alive. I bet Chiang Kai-shek would have been thrilled to know that a leader allied with the Japanese was in his country. China was also allied with the U.S. around World War II. Hitler would have never come to China.

:goonsay:

Double :goonsay: There were Chinese soldiers fighting the Japanese who were being led by German commanders using German equipment and uniforms early in the war. Germany tried to keep it on the DL as they tried to convince the units to stop fighting.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plan Z posted:

Double :goonsay: There were Chinese soldiers fighting the Japanese who were being led by German commanders using German equipment and uniforms early in the war. Germany tried to keep it on the DL as they tried to convince the units to stop fighting.

Yea, people tend to forgot the KMT had racial policies that were not unlike the Nazi's (which still kind of exist in China, with many people who are considered Han thinking they're better than everyone else), and was setting up China to become a fascist state along the lines of Italy and Spain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If no one has info on Hitler to contribute here're a few things you can observe instead

http://imgur.com/gallery/7C3yV0S

Possibly posted by a spambot? I see lots of people haven't been following the Benghazi news though. She's been interviewed like a dozen times already and nothing really came out of it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/5f7iewH

Also THIS loving THING IS BACK AGAIN

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Dec 23, 2015

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Milo finally realises his true aim in life is to smash the patriarchy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/5f7iewH

Also THIS loving THING IS BACK AGAIN

quote:

missmerrymac via Android-4 points : 7 hours ago reply
You know, we really should have a movement that works to dismantle harmful gender role & stereotypes! Oh wait...

BritneySpearsismyspiritanimal -14 points : 1 reply : 7 hours ago reply
Our patriarchal system imposes roles on BOTH genders. You have to fight the power, not the pawns.

datbigblubboy -2 points : 4 hours ago reply
Oh look, someone else who doesn't understand the meaning of feminist.

detvarsomkatten via iPhone-3 points : 4 hours ago reply
Feminism actually covers this as well.

kasaku -17 points : 2 replies : 7 hours ago reply
Says the guy who openly defends fascists in Britain. gently caress this right wing scum.

quote:

SecretCupCakeTime 4 points : 1 reply : 11 days ago reply
But why don't the men stay to fight for their country?
dukeallen 2 points : 11 days ago reply
Because they want to fight to take over their new country.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I have a feeling that image is going to be used in some CT nutbar thing claiming the refugees weren't really in trouble, or something.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

a dumbass posted:

But why don't the men stay to fight for their country?

sure seems like somebody is staying to fight

TheIllestVillain has a new favorite as of 08:36 on Dec 23, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I always wondered if people like Osama or Abu Bakr looked at their own wikipedia pages.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone have any good rebuttals against that Egalitarian poo poo? All I've got is that it doesn't really make you seem like you actually care about women's rights if you're that hung up on just the name.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have any good rebuttals against that Egalitarian poo poo? All I've got is that it doesn't really make you seem like you actually care about women's rights if you're that hung up on just the name.

Aside from it not panning out in reality, due to discrimination existing, thus rendering Egalitarianism completely false in the modern world?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

RareAcumen posted:

I don't really see a reason to refute it given that it's feminism except with a different name, and therefore good. Unless the MRA people have hijacked the word.

But here's something that makes me like imgur more:

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Dec 23, 2015

Baofu
Jun 15, 2007

Maybe I just need to get off the Internet for a bit, but I've never seen MRAs do anything except yell at women and give Paul Elam money.

Similarly, I've never seen "egalitarians" do anything except argue semantics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Thoughtless posted:

I don't really see a reason to refute it given that it's feminism except with a different name, and therefore good. Unless the MRA people have hijacked the word.

But here's something that makes me like imgur more:

But this is just "I don't like thing" slapped on a goddamn arctic bird.

It's everything wrong with edgelords on imgur, only about stupid pop culture bullshit instead of stupid political bullshit.

• Locked thread