Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
IS mechs require things like a few million spent on endo steel, double heatsinks and the "right" engine (what is "right" will vary dramatically with mech and build).

It's very easy to do something bad like fit an XL340 XL360 to a grasshopper and leave yourself with a fragile walking billboard packing less firepower than a firestarter.

On the upside you can keep those parts in your inventory and used them on the "right" mech/build later with no worries.

Keep some STD 250s, 280s and 300s around for your IS zombie mechs.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
:shepface: so turns out teamkills don't count against your matchscore, or if they do not very hard. I just killed some dumbshit because he kept darting back and forth in front of me while I was shooting out the back of some enemy assaults and the first two or four shots didn't really clue him in that it might not be a good idea to keep running in front of me.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Should I be touching the armor on my mechs and if so what should I do?
Also, I'm not sure if you have to be online to receive invites so maybe someone already tried but please invite me, BeefySupreme, playing with pubs is getting annoying as I learn more about the game and understand how bad they (and I) am.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TjyvTompa posted:

Should I be touching the armor on my mechs and if so what should I do?
Also, I'm not sure if you have to be online to receive invites so maybe someone already tried but please invite me, BeefySupreme, playing with pubs is getting annoying as I learn more about the game and understand how bad they (and I) am.

Armour is really important. Max everything if possible, then knock leg armour down to 75% on heavies, drop head armour down a few points if you need to, drop back torso armour down to 8 or so and maximise front armour. Arms can be stripped (I think) if they don't have anything in them. And learn how to roll damage.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So how does this work, do i just play and then at some point i have a new mech in my inventory or do i need to register and pick up something or what?
Im fairly new to this game, so every free mech is golden to me while i save up for a clan assault.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you have to go here http://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201512stocking and log into the website. The "tickets" are at the bottom of the page.

sebmojo posted:

Armour is really important. Max everything if possible, then knock leg armour down to 75% on heavies, drop head armour down a few points if you need to, drop back torso armour down to 8 or so and maximise front armour. Arms can be stripped (I think) if they don't have anything in them. And learn how to roll damage.

If I'm using my arms as shields (IE: there's nothing in there) I like to have a single point of armor in them. It will look pristine (bright yellow) at first, but after the first salvo it will look as an "open" location, and pubbies will aim explicitly for that. Doubly true on the big stupid ears of a Catapult K2 if you're running ballistics in the RT/LT.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ you have to go here http://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201512stocking and log into the website. The "tickets" are at the bottom of the page.

If I'm using my arms as shields (IE: there's nothing in there) I like to have a single point of armor in them. It will look pristine (bright yellow) at first, but after the first salvo it will look as an "open" location, and pubbies will aim explicitly for that. Doubly true on the big stupid ears of a Catapult K2 if you're running ballistics in the RT/LT.

Oh, thanks.
Glorious workplace firewall of course denies that page, so ill have to check at home.

What do you guys think about the "classic" mechs?
I was hoping to buy a marauder in game, only to find out theyre rtm only, same with warhammer and rifleman.
Are they destined to be real-money only forever, or are these usually imported into ingame at a later point in time?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Marauders will be available for c-bills next year. Check the FAQ on the Marauder page.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Do we have any idea of what the new 20$ package is going to be and when it's going to be out? I've finally figured out PGI's business scheme: if your regular prices are so high, :20bux: for 3 robutts+bays and a bunch of extra stuff on top starts to feel like a sensible price. :homebrew:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So I've stopped my machine from crashing whenever I try and play, someone invite me to WoL or GIRL please, I'm playing now.

My pilot name is 'starkebn'

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

So I've stopped my machine from crashing whenever I try and play, someone invite me to WoL or GIRL please, I'm playing now.

My pilot name is 'starkebn'

Got you. Like your Steve Lichman av.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Skoll posted:

Got you. Like your Steve Lichman av.

thanks mate

PS, should I try and get ECm on my Jenner-3L build or can I go without?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

PPS: almost the entirety of goons are offline :(

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What the hell, I'll come back to playing 'Mechs for awhile. Can I get a WoL invite assuming anyone's online? In-game name is "Amadeus Chuggs"

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Geez, people really like voting for Alpine Peaks

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

starkebn posted:

thanks mate

PS, should I try and get ECm on my Jenner-3L build or can I go without?

Always take ECM when you can. And yeah it's almost 6 AM EST here, the only group that was playing just broke up and there were only three of us.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Oh yay I got a whole 5 MC from this stocking stuffer thing :toot:

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

That Italian Guy posted:

Thanks for posting this! I was assuming if I scored high enough I would just get prizes in game. Just went to the site on my phone and won the Centurion on my 5th ticket! Nice.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So how does this work, do i just play and then at some point i have a new mech in my inventory or do i need to register and pick up something or what?
Im fairly new to this game, so every free mech is golden to me while i save up for a clan assault.

Clan assaults are... difficult. They don't get any quirks for real significance, so they're more fragile than their innersphere counterparts. None of them have optimal builds, and there's nothing you can do about it. They tend to be the most difficult chassis to pilot well. The gargoyle is rear end. The executioner is mediocre. The warhawk is only good if you LOVE PPCs. Seriously, you have to be absolutely in love with an inferior weapon system to like the warhawk (I'm in love with an inferior weapon system). The direwolf is a walking turret, and slightly less maneuverable. It's got a lot of guns, but it's huge and slow. You will have bad matches simply because the rest of your team leaves you behind and you get isolated by light mechs that you simply cannot track with your guns. However, occasionally you'll have a 1200 damage match where you're walking death and everything seems like it was all worthwhile.

It's better to start with clan heavies and mediums, and to get some arctic cheetahs before you commit yourself to trying to figure out clan assaults.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Oh, thanks.
Glorious workplace firewall of course denies that page, so ill have to check at home.

What do you guys think about the "classic" mechs?
I was hoping to buy a marauder in game, only to find out theyre rtm only, same with warhammer and rifleman.
Are they destined to be real-money only forever, or are these usually imported into ingame at a later point in time?
The only mechs that are always premium are the champion, hero, and edition mechs like the (I)nvasion or (R)esistance chassis that have XP or C-bill bonuses. Every other mech that is real money only will eventually be available for C-Bills in a few months. The marauder is cash-only for now, but in a while it'll become available for MC (don't buy any non-hero mechs for MC) and a short while after that it will be available for c-bills. Mechs tend to get a normalization nerf after becoming available for c-bills, but even then good mechs tend to stay good. Mechs that are bad are usually bad before they hit the c-bill stage.

It's important to note that the only premium mechs that have a functional difference from their c-bill counterparts are the Hero mechs, and even then, very few hero mechs are appreciably better than the non-money robutts. For all its sins, MWO doesn't really have a Pay 2 Win component. Yes, spending money will get you more mechs faster, but it won't get you better mechs, or better bullets.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 23, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

Clan assaults are... difficult. They don't get any quirks for real significance, so they're more fragile than their innersphere counterparts. None of them have optimal builds, and there's nothing you can do about it. They tend to be the most difficult chassis to pilot well. The gargoyle is rear end. The executioner is mediocre. The warhawk is only good if you LOVE PPCs. Seriously, you have to be absolutely in love with an inferior weapon system to like the warhawk (I'm in love with an inferior weapon system). The direwolf is a walking turret, and slightly less maneuverable. It's got a lot of guns, but it's huge and slow. You will have bad matches simply because the rest of your team leaves you behind and you get isolated by light mechs that you simply cannot track with your guns. However, occasionally you'll have a 1200 damage match where you're walking death and everything seems like it was all worthwhile.

It's better to start with clan heavies and mediums, and to get some arctic cheetahs before you commit yourself to trying to figure out clan assaults.

To add to this assaults in general are difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Same with lights. Both require good situational awareness and positioning which frankly won't be something you have until a bit of in game experience.

If you want to learn the ropes I strongly recommend mediums and heavies. Especially mediums actually because you have enough flexibility in terms of role to configure them into whatever you want and give no fucks. Ultimately it's up to you though - pick whatever you want and go for it.

Just never forget the art of torso twisting. Seriously.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's a phoenix mech and why did I get a special achievement for killing one?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nuebot posted:

It's a pack of 4 "unseen" mechs that hailed mostly from the Dougram anime. The """"PHOENIX"""" pack is notable for not including any phoenix hawks. I think it was the first mech pack released in the game?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

The only mechs that are always premium are the champion, hero, and edition mechs like the (I)nvasion or (R)esistance chassis that have XP or C-bill bonuses. Every other mech that is real money only will eventually be available for C-Bills in a few months. The marauder is cash-only for now, but in a while it'll become available for MC (don't buy any non-hero mechs for MC) and a short while after that it will be available for c-bills. Mechs tend to get a normalization nerf after becoming available for c-bills, but even then good mechs tend to stay good. Mechs that are bad are usually bad before they hit the c-bill stage.

It's important to note that the only premium mechs that have a functional difference from their c-bill counterparts are the Hero mechs, and even then, very few hero mechs are appreciably better than the non-money robutts. For all its sins, MWO doesn't really have a Pay 2 Win component. Yes, spending money will get you more mechs faster, but it won't get you better mechs, or better bullets.

Right now i have one
.) Arctic Cheetah, 2 Large Lasers on the shoulder-mounts for sneak-peak-snipes and an ECM
.) A MadDog with the 2x20 Lrms and 4 Medium Lasers in the arms
.) An Ebon JAg with the U-AC 20 on the shoulder and currently 5 med.puls lasers + 2 mediums on the other shoulder (used to be the 2 large that are now on the cheetah).

So for a complete faction-play lance i need an assault, and the Dire is the only one that pleases me astetcally. loving around in mechbuilders i figured i could mount roughly 16-18 tons of ordnance in each arm (like 2x ac20s or 2x4xER-LL).
Since clan mechs are freakishly expensive (for someone who plays less than 14 hours a day) each mech is a commitment. Id love to buy and try some others, especially heavies, but they dont exactly throw them away a dime a dozen.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Project_Phoenix

Basically, any of four mechs with a (P) designation after it's variant. I don't know why they included an achievement for killing any of them, though. I use my Phoenix Thunderbolt a lot because of the c-bill bonus and have probably given a lot of people that achieveo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Right now i have one
.) Arctic Cheetah, 2 Large Lasers on the shoulder-mounts for sneak-peak-snipes and an ECM
.) A MadDog with the 2x20 Lrms and 4 Medium Lasers in the arms
.) An Ebon JAg with the U-AC 20 on the shoulder and currently 5 med.puls lasers + 2 mediums on the other shoulder (used to be the 2 large that are now on the cheetah).

So for a complete faction-play lance i need an assault, and the Dire is the only one that pleases me astetcally. loving around in mechbuilders i figured i could mount roughly 16-18 tons of ordnance in each arm (like 2x ac20s or 2x4xER-LL).
Since clan mechs are freakishly expensive (for someone who plays less than 14 hours a day) each mech is a commitment. Id love to buy and try some others, especially heavies, but they dont exactly throw them away a dime a dozen.

Don't forget to buy 3 variants of each mech just so you can elite out the one variant you actually want to drive :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
alright everyone pack it up, i just beat the game.

that's right, i just beat mechwarrior.

i have the best possible build for the best 'mech in the game. there's literally no reason to ever play anything else from now on:

sorry for breaking the curve, everyone.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

starkebn posted:

PPS: almost the entirety of goons are offline :(
The number of active Drongos can be counted on one hand, so you'll be mostly be encountering drunk American night owls and unless I'm mistaken you're west of AEST which makes it even tricker still. Weekends and afternoons are still the best time for us to get in on the big groups.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Don't forget to buy 3 variants of each mech just so you can elite out the one variant you actually want to drive :v:

I always get the impression that was introduced BEFORE clan mechs hit the game... with omni-modules this literally makes no sense at all.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I always get the impression that was introduced BEFORE clan mechs hit the game... with omni-modules this literally makes no sense at all.

pretty much, though the new IIC clan mechs are not omnimechs.

the latest skill nerf is meant to counteract this somewhat, having an unskilled mechs isnt as bad as it once was

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
On the matter "at hand" (it will still be several days until i can afford a dire wolf), will this thing be able to alpha 8x large lasers + 14 clan double heatsinks without melting?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

On the matter "at hand" (it will still be several days until i can afford a dire wolf), will this thing be able to alpha 8x large lasers + 14 clan double heatsinks without melting?

No, ghost heat triggers on large lasers after you fire more than 3. Nothing can sink through ghost heat really. You can get an alpha of 5-6 maybe but thats pushing it.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kingcom posted:

No, ghost heat triggers on large lasers after you fire more than 3. Nothing can sink through ghost heat really. You can get an alpha of 5-6 maybe but thats pushing it.

Ok, whats ghost heat?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ZombyDog posted:

The number of active Drongos can be counted on one hand, so you'll be mostly be encountering drunk American night owls and unless I'm mistaken you're west of AEST which makes it even tricker still. Weekends and afternoons are still the best time for us to get in on the big groups.

Shieeet, to the Drongos still exist?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, whats ghost heat?

:pgi: dumb invention to try and prevent mechs from boating the same weapon . After a certain number of the same weapon (this number is different for every weapon) is fired with .5 seconds of eachother you get a bunch of extra heat from nowhere. This increases hard for every number you go over the heat spikes hard. I have a battlemaster thats nothing but 5 large lasers and double heatsinks and if i fire all 5 at once im risking overheating.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

kingcom posted:

:pgi: dumb invention to try and prevent mechs from boating the same weapon . After a certain number of the same weapon (this number is different for every weapon) is fired with .5 seconds of eachother you get a bunch of extra heat from nowhere. This increases hard for every number you go over the heat spikes hard. I have a battlemaster thats nothing but 5 large lasers and double heatsinks and if i fire all 5 at once im risking overheating.

I have a Nova with 12 small lasers and if I alpha strike I explode pretty much immediately.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

starkebn posted:

Geez, people really like voting for Alpine Peaks

It's because pubs love LRMs

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, whats ghost heat?

It's an additional heat penalty for firing too many of the same weapon type at the same time, or rather within the same .5 second window.

For example, a Clan ER PPC generates 15 points of heat when fired. If you fire a pair, they will both generate 15 points of heat for a total of 30. However, if you fire a trio of C/ERPPC within the same .5 second window, they will generate a total of 63.90 points of heat; that additional 18.9 points of heat is a "ghost" penalty.

The threshold at which the ghost penalty begins to apply varies depending on weapon system. The ghost penalties are based on a complex formula that would make Michio Kaku's head spin, elements of which include highly complex math, hubris, and poor game design. None of this is explained in any official documentation beyond 2.5-year-old forum announcements, and an obscure in-game tooltip that, if you even notice it, obscurely informs you that "firing more than X number of weapon type Y will incur additional heat"

Original Ghost Heat Announcement

If anyone has it, please for the love of posterity post the chalkboard-style diagram Paul posted with the original Ghost Heat "formula". FOUND IT

The Maths of Ghost Heat, in a simple and intuitive visual format :allears:

Ghost Heat spreadsheet

Ghost Heat simulator, allows you to see your robot's heat levels without spending C-Bills.

Ghost Heat utterly failed to stop the high-pinpoint alpha strike (for newbirds, that is the ability to instantly put a massive amount of damage into a single location with a single click) meta; in fact, it's main effect was to neuter the builds that most effectively countered the issue it was supposed to be fixing.

Bonus ~~~Science~~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nuebot posted:

I like when I'm a giant super slow crab, basically just a mobile artillery, and random players just dash in front of me to fire their small lasers at the missile launching robot in front of us. :( At least the enemy got the credit for the kill instead of me.

I have no problem shooting teammates in the back, especially if I'm in a dakkawolf and they are blocking me so they can plink with whatever dumb bullshit is in their robot. Oops just stripped all of your back armor, sorry idiot.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DancingShade posted:

To add to this assaults in general are difficult if you don't know what you're doing. Same with lights. Both require good situational awareness and positioning which frankly won't be something you have until a bit of in game experience.

If you want to learn the ropes I strongly recommend mediums and heavies. Especially mediums actually because you have enough flexibility in terms of role to configure them into whatever you want and give no fucks. Ultimately it's up to you though - pick whatever you want and go for it.

Just never forget the art of torso twisting. Seriously.

I'd argue heavies are the best bang for the buck a new person can get. Tanky enough to survive mistakes, and do enough damage to make you feel like you have contributed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I made a poo poo heap of a Stalker last night with an XL300, 4 Large lasers and 2 ER PPCs. Pretty drat fun.

• Locked thread