Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I mean it seems pretty easy to mod because the wing root structure is mostly technic, I just don't think you'll be able to do it cleanly (without removing a part of the ship). I did know getting into it that it didn't tilt, I mostly just posted that to have lego content in a post I wanted to make about Samurai Jack. I do still think it's a cool model and I really wanted Kylo Ren NOW NOW NOW after seeing the movie, and also General Hux which I don't know if he's in the next wave or not.

One thing I've noticed in the minifigs is that there are definitely way more women and people of color; unfortunately, it seems like the non-white people are mostly first order... but Kylo Ren's Shuttle has a black crewman and a female officer, and the TIE set has a brown skinned officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I noticed that in the cast of the film too. I'm totally in for more Lego diversity. I had one female head when I was a kid and I used it all the time as the love interest for the hero in the stories I made up.

I think Lego has only made one African female figure, Storm from the X-men.

The Friends sets are good for this though. Also Finn and Winston in the GBHQ have a new hair piece for black dudes.

deoju fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 22, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Zodack posted:

In other news here is a midi / micro scale SSD I built in LDD after missing out on that deal I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Other people have replicated the UCS's hull plating far more accurately but I only looked at illustrations of the ship while building and wanted something more original. I'm content with how it turned out, although I can probably improve it.

That looks great! Where are those weird-shaped plates from?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zodack posted:

How do people still not know this

It doesn't show them tilting on the box, anywhere, and it has been the topic of discussion here and on pretty much every review of every Shuttle toy

Because I wasn't at all interested in the ship until I saw the movie and also Lego ships generally have awesome play features so I kind of just assumed? I dunno I don't read reviews for toys I just like toys and I was playing up being mad about Lego for laffs :shobon:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smackfu posted:

Those are just wing plates flipped around in a clever way. If you look at the image full size you can see the seams.

They show up on the lego pick a brick wall every once in a while, if you spot them buy as many as you can because they're great for making spaceships.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yeah, I thought maybe they were some weird Star Wars pieces.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Because I wasn't at all interested in the ship until I saw the movie and also Lego ships generally have awesome play features so I kind of just assumed? I dunno I don't read reviews for toys I just like toys and I was playing up being mad about Lego for laffs :shobon:

I'm actually as bummed as you are about the shuttle not working, because I liked it a whole lot more in the movie than I thought it was

Here's a micro-scale version of the shuttle I spent like seven hours making last night, because I don't have the money to redesign the large one.

smackfu posted:

It's just a bunch of regular wing plates back to back (some 1x4 and 1x3) plus a few extra long ones for the nose, and they're all on a hinge so I can angle them and make the spearhead shape. They should be locked in because of how the base is built but you can never really tell with LDD and making anything hold its angle.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zodack posted:

I'm actually as bummed as you are about the shuttle not working, because I liked it a whole lot more in the movie than I thought it was

Here's a micro-scale version of the shuttle I spent like seven hours making last night, because I don't have the money to redesign the large one.

This is excellent :eyepop:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it just me or is Lego being absurdly aggressive with emails this year? I mean they always inform me of vip offers and sales, but I've gotten 1-2 emails a day for the last week telling me there's still time to order for Christmas.

Obviously it's been a year so maybe I just forgot what they did last December but it doesn't feel like it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Holy crap this is good. I adored the design of the ship in the movie. It's just so menacing, and you captured it perfectly!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah whoever designed it did a stellar job making it resemble the imperial shuttle but running off with it in a new direction and making it their own thing. Few things say "you gonna get hosed up" like that ship showing up.

Having one in small scale lego would be fun. Maybe a little beefier than the one pictured.. those wings look fragile.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
To me it's just "Augh a bat!" Good job on them for capturing that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

xzzy posted:

Is it just me or is Lego being absurdly aggressive with emails this year? I mean they always inform me of vip offers and sales, but I've gotten 1-2 emails a day for the last week telling me there's still time to order for Christmas.

Obviously it's been a year so maybe I just forgot what they did last December but it doesn't feel like it.

No, definitely got more this year than last. It's been driving me crazy.

gently caress off, Lego! Stop making me annoyed you! I love you, don't hurt me....

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

xzzy posted:

Totally agree. Between them and Newegg I get at least two a day. It's the new door-to-door salesman.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Toys r us is having a deal on Dimensions fun packs. 2 for $18, today only. Nearly bogo free with their markup, still cheaper than Amazon.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I've not been tracking Lego too closely lately. Have there been any releases related to what upcoming Star Wars waves are going to include? The movie has gotten me in the mood but none of the currently released sets are really doing it for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's some small SW sets coming out at the beginning of the year. Carbonite chamber, hoth, droid escape and some sets from that Rebels cartoon.

Even tyderium isn't doing it for you? That set is awesome.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
It IS pretty cool. I just already have a very similar shuttle so I wasn't ready to pick that up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DisposableHero posted:

It IS pretty cool. I just already have a very similar shuttle so I wasn't ready to pick that up.

A lot of the new stuff for January is priced at $30. Which is great if you're after minifigs with a small build.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
gently caress all for Battle of Takkodana being $60, I need Kylo Ren and Finn and some stormies. I am not dishing out the $100 for that bad shuttle, but I might pick up the Kylo Ren helmet head that comes with it because that will probably not ever be reprinted.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
There's a store near me with a cache of series 13 minifigs, somehow not sold out. Try as I might, I can't find the unicorn girl or the hot dog guy at all. I've got two of almost all the others in the series, and even three of some of them, but those two continue to elude me.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Van Dis posted:

There's a store near me with a cache of series 13 minifigs, somehow not sold out. Try as I might, I can't find the unicorn girl or the hot dog guy at all. I've got two of almost all the others in the series, and even three of some of them, but those two continue to elude me.

I have a couple of hot dog guys extra if you want. One out and one still in the bag.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

I have a couple of hot dog guys extra if you want. One out and one still in the bag.

Shoot me an email, friend.

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 23, 2015

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Is the Batman Tumbler as cool a build as it looks? There's someone somewhat local that is selling a new one for $150. It is unassembled but open and blemished box, bags still intact. I'm not a resale first type of collector, so I'm just thinking about the build and display. Don't think I'll find one for cheaper than $150.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

tomapot posted:

Is the Batman Tumbler as cool a build as it looks? There's someone somewhat local that is selling a new one for $150. It is unassembled but open and blemished box, bags still intact. I'm not a resale first type of collector, so I'm just thinking about the build and display. Don't think I'll find one for cheaper than $150.

I remember having fun building it- there is some interesting stuff in there. If you like the model, that's a pretty great deal. Probably they jacked the minifigs out of there if it's an open box, but if not those are worth a fair amount too.

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

tomapot posted:

Its a really cool build. Some really interesting techniques and an amazing level of detail. If its complete with minifigs then for 150 its a good buy. Took me about 15 hours or so to put together.

Be warned it is huge though.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
My biggest problem with it is all the fiddly plates they used to make the angles seem really poorly attached. I don't know how they could do it better and still have it look as cool, but I hate having to warn people about touching it because pieces will fall off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really wish it had fewer studs showing too. It's definitely an impressive build but it feels like a first gen model.. like if you wait 5 years they'll unveil an improved version that's perfect.

I still want a ton of the one-off tires they put on it though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

I really wish it had fewer studs showing too. It's definitely an impressive build but it feels like a first gen model.. like if you wait 5 years they'll unveil an improved version that's perfect.

Yeah. I like it but the first thing I noticed are there are way too many studs showing compared to most UCS sets which usually have a nice balance. To me something like the Slave 1 is perfect, where it has enough showing that it's clearly Lego but most are covered up enough that it's not visually distracting.

It's still a cool set though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SuperSpiff posted:

My biggest problem with it is all the fiddly plates they used to make the angles seem really poorly attached. I don't know how they could do it better and still have it look as cool, but I hate having to warn people about touching it because pieces will fall off.

I had this problem when I first put it together but I figured out over time at least some of those pieces kind of slot into the bodywork (the long segments on the side made of wings especially). It is still delicate though.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

ChesterJT posted:

Can you email me at my username at g mail dot com?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Opening up some early Christmas gifts with my extended family tonight and my grandparents got me the old Attack on Weathertop set.

I had it on my list but them getting me a retired set was impressive and a great surprise.

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008

xzzy posted:

Just FYI those tires are coming in a $80 technic set Jan. 1st. Set 42050. It's just two though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fine by me, as long as it brings down the bricklink prices later on.

I'm gonna do a remake me of some of those classic space rolling bases with giant rubber tires.

ether
May 20, 2001

Zodack posted:

In other news here is a midi / micro scale SSD I built in LDD after missing out on that deal I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Other people have replicated the UCS's hull plating far more accurately but I only looked at illustrations of the ship while building and wanted something more original. I'm content with how it turned out, although I can probably improve it.

Any chances of sharing that LDD file? I have a friend that is a gigantic nerd and this would be the most awesome birthday gift this year.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ether posted:

Any chances of sharing that LDD file? I have a friend that is a gigantic nerd and this would be the most awesome birthday gift this year.

Sure thing man. Here's a GDrive link that should let you download the file.

It should work fine in real life, the angle with the plates has a really stiff connection with the base (I'm not sure what you would build first). I think the LDD file includes groups for the hull plates so you can hide them to get a better look at the base. If you're planning on trying to build it yourself I'm sure you can fool with the LDD and see what works and what might not. It's a pretty basic build and the only thing I don't have 100% confidence on working in the real world is those angled plates, because it's really hard to get a feel for angles in LDD and locking them in place, building around them, etc.

Mico SSD Link

Enjoy!

I've done the Kylo Ren shuttle and the Executor in micro / midi (in LEGO, what's the difference? I legitimately see these terms interchanged) scale, I think I'm going to try to tackle the Ghost next because I've been watching a bit of Rebels and absolutely love the design.

Zodack fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 25, 2015

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
This is the first lego set I've put together in like 20 years, a gift from an old friend. Appropriately, I watched Empire while building it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought that set on a lark last xmas while I was shopping for gifts for my family and now I'm sitting on about 30 Lego SW sets. be careful.

That was also the first set I had build/bought in a about 20 years.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Hah. Well I was just talking the other day about getting one of the new Star Wars sets (or a future one) and I ended up getting Kylo Ren's shuttle and the new Tie Fighter for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Despite now having seeing TFA, I don't really want any of the new sets. It's more of the same grey and black of previous years.