Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Immortan posted:

I mean look at this:

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Still better than all the UK

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
For some reason these tooth color analysis things really gross me out and I barely even bat an eye of people being blown up or having their head cut off on video anymore.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Not everyone votes purely based on economic issues Marx.

:rolleyes:

Half his post was about economic issues. He literally used a $ in place of an S.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

in 2008 there were still conservative democrats, a lot of the candidates who won in the '08 wave were much more conservative than the democrats who survived the '10 wave and the ideological sorting of the south took a huge step between those elections. that democratic congress was probably the last congress of a previous, less polarized era. along with lockstep republican opposition, actual ideological rifts within the democratic caucus in both houses led to a distinctly watered-down form of hope and change

as for issues like the banks tend to be ones where the majority of politicians in the general center vote for the moneyed interests against the right and left wings who have more ideologically based campaign funding

this is just how it works yall, sorry if it bores you. most people who are bored by it just check out of the process, those of you who stick around looking for a hero just get used over and over and over again, no matter which set of phrases you decide is gonna save you this time

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

This sounds fantastic.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ein drumpf

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
Man.. this schlonged thing. It loving rules that people who are against Trump are so insanely dedicated to trying to use the same social justice callout and shame mob tactics that they've perfected over the last eight years on him, and he just completely jukes every single attempt and somehow comes out looking smarter than them every single time.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's not working on republican voters. that may be a feature, not a bug; the hillary campaign does after all claim that it wants to face trump in the general electrion

head to heads and a comparison of the two candidates' unfavorables are slight indicators that the general electorate is having the opposite reaction to republican primary voters. we'll find out for real next year, maybe

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Man.. this schlonged thing. It loving rules that people who are against Trump are so insanely dedicated to trying to use the same social justice callout and shame mob tactics that they've perfected over the last eight years on him, and he just completely jukes every single attempt and somehow comes out looking smarter than them every single time.

as if a million twitter activists literally shook at once... and then were butthurt

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

they don't realize that you can't stump the trump and such attacks only make him stronger similar to when someone attacks the Hulk.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

its especially funny seeing media outlets that regularly promote degeneracy feign disgust at a junior level crass remark.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

oystertoadfish posted:

in 2008 there were still conservative democrats, a lot of the candidates who won in the '08 wave were much more conservative than the democrats who survived the '10 wave and the ideological sorting of the south took a huge step between those elections. that democratic congress was probably the last congress of a previous, less polarized era. along with lockstep republican opposition, actual ideological rifts within the democratic caucus in both houses led to a distinctly watered-down form of hope and change

as for issues like the banks tend to be ones where the majority of politicians in the general center vote for the moneyed interests against the right and left wings who have more ideologically based campaign funding

this is just how it works yall, sorry if it bores you. most people who are bored by it just check out of the process, those of you who stick around looking for a hero just get used over and over and over again, no matter which set of phrases you decide is gonna save you this time

The Democratic party had the presidency, the house, and a filibuster proof majority in the senate. If they really wanted to, this was their golden opportunity to enact a wave of legislation to rival the First Hundred Days of New Deal legislation under FDR. But they didn't, which a pretty damning judgement on the Democratic party and what its true goals really are. Sure you can blame it on one or two blue dog dems gumming up the works, but are you going to pretend FDR didn't have to deal with that sort of thing? A good, functional political party keeps control over its members to prevent assholes like Leiberman or Baucus from dragging down the entire party. Oddly enough the modern Democratic party is a conservative party, endeavoring to do little more than maintain the status quo against a Reactionary Republican party attempting to burn the whole government down. I don't blame Obama personally for the failures of his presidency to enact much real change, but nor do I have any hope that the Democratic party will do anything constructive to aid the working people of this country in the future. They demonstrated to the nation in 2008-2010 that even if given historic levels of control of the government they will ultimately accomplish little.

That said, it's not surprising that Trump is experiencing a groundswell of devoted support. Sure his plans don't make any sense, and the mildly critical eye can discern that everything he has said is empty rhetoric, but at least he appears to be something different, something besides the status quo. A vote for Trump is a giant "gently caress you" to the system as-is from those feeling left behind. Chaos candidate indeed.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sure you can blame it on one or two blue dog dems gumming up the works, but are you going to pretend FDR didn't have to deal with that sort of thing? ... Oddly enough the modern Democratic party is a conservative party, endeavoring to do little more than maintain the status quo

FDR had a historically unparalleled majority to work with, and he still had to exclude agricultural and domestic workers from social security and agree to racist policies that pissed off his liberal supporters, because he depended on the white supremacist south - liberals were not nearly as happy with fdr at the time as they were in retrospect. the whole new deal project was very much an attempt to protect capitalism from an anti-democratic wave of which we see only the faintest echo in our own lifetimes. and the new deal really ended in 1938 when fdr couldn't wrangle congress any more.

FDR made compromises, he cut deals, he traded horses, he settled for less than his most liberal supporters wanted. and it was the best the left ever got. obama's congressional majority was a pale echo of FDR's congressional majority, and so were his policies, perhaps. but i really think that the situations are more similar than you're letting on

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
S c h l o n g e d

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

oystertoadfish posted:

FDR had a historically unparalleled majority to work with, and he still had to exclude agricultural and domestic workers from social security and agree to racist policies that pissed off his liberal supporters, because he depended on the white supremacist south - liberals were not nearly as happy with fdr at the time as they were in retrospect. the whole new deal project was very much an attempt to protect capitalism from an anti-democratic wave of which we see only the faintest echo in our own lifetimes. and the new deal really ended in 1938 when fdr couldn't wrangle congress any more.

FDR made compromises, he cut deals, he traded horses, he settled for less than his most liberal supporters wanted. and it was the best the left ever got. obama's congressional majority was a pale echo of FDR's congressional majority, and so were his policies, perhaps. but i really think that the situations are more similar than you're letting on

Vote Democrat: maybe if you guys give us 3/4 majorities in both houses and the presidency and the supreme court maybe we'll accomplish something. If we feel like it. You've gotta be realistic!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Vote Democrat: maybe if you guys give us 3/4 majorities in both houses and the presidency and the supreme court maybe we'll accomplish something. If we feel like it. You've gotta be realistic!

yes, absolutely. i agreed with you that the party was and is a status quo party, a conservative party. that's how this whole thing works. those are the kinds of parties that get majorities in congress, whether you like it or not. whether i like it or not

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

trump fans arent put off by trumps behaviour!? :monocle:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I love this. I love that instead of back-tracking or covering up, he just decided that schlonged is an actual political phrase. The funniest part is that it actually probably is now.

And I didn't see the last Democratic debate, but Hillary did the whole "I'm late back from the break because it takes women longer to pee" shtick again? She consistently wants the point where she connects with other women to be that they have to sit down to urinate?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

In the next debate Hillary puts a desk fan on her podium, repeatedly removes and then re-applies her outer layer of clothing, demands to know why it's so hot in the building. Her support among my menopausal coworkers skyrockets.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

oystertoadfish posted:

it's not working on republican voters. that may be a feature, not a bug; the hillary campaign does after all claim that it wants to face trump in the general electrion

head to heads and a comparison of the two candidates' unfavorables are slight indicators that the general electorate is having the opposite reaction to republican primary voters. we'll find out for real next year, maybe

They're saying this in hopes that it will push the republicans into nominating somebody like Cruz or Rubio, who she would crush with the media in the general election. It's a classic misdirection tactic on her part. :shillary: knows that the only candidate she can't control with the media or "shaming" tactics is Trump. She knows how much anti political establishment sentiment there is across the aisle in this country, which she embodies (which is why she wants them to nominate said candidates instead); she also knows that Cruz and Rubio can't energize their voters like Trump can. Trump is 100% correct when he says she doesn't want to run against him. She knows Trump controls the narrative.

Also gently caress Ted Cruz. Limbaugh, Levin, and Glenn Beck would have you believe he's not part of the status quo within the GOP establishment even though he's had ties to the Bush family, a current U.S. senator, and has no problem taking from the donor class including from Robert Mercer, who's given tens of millions to his campaign already. Cruz is simply another puppet for the corrupt system. They only support him because of his obnoxious bible thumping. They've never cared about winning elections more so than ideological purity, much like Bernie Panders.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

katlington posted:

trump fans arent put off by trumps behaviour!? :monocle:

cant wrong the schlong

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

fun tunnel posted:

its especially funny seeing media outlets that regularly promote degeneracy feign disgust at a junior level crass remark.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

It's especially comical watching :shillary: feign moral outrage over this remark by declaring it's degrading to women when she accepts tens of millions through the Clinton Foundation from Islamic theocracies who force women to walk around in bags, throw acid in their faces, FGM, etc.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

you forgot the trilateral commission

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was weird during her nomination video when she ended with a wink and "Here's to you, Bilderburgs!"

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Sancho posted:

Same he is far more infectious than the Hillary fanatics here.

the who?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

mitztronic posted:

Still better than all the UK

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/17/britain-actually-has-better-teeth-than-the-us-5570752/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brannock posted:

S c h l o n g e d

I hope schlonged will be word of the year.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Subvisual Haze posted:

The Democratic party had the presidency, the house, and a filibuster proof majority in the senate. If they really wanted to, this was their golden opportunity to enact a wave of legislation to rival the First Hundred Days of New Deal legislation under FDR.
Well, they couldn't have literally had a First Hundred Days since the situation you're describing lasted for 27 days. My understanding is they got a lot of poo poo done during the time, actually, but meh. You have something of a point.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Immortan posted:

They're saying this in hopes that it will push the republicans into nominating somebody like Cruz or Rubio, who she would crush with the media in the general election. It's a classic misdirection tactic on her part. :shillary: knows that the only candidate she can't control with the media or "shaming" tactics is Trump. She knows how much anti political establishment sentiment there is across the aisle in this country, which she embodies (which is why she wants them to nominate said candidates instead); she also knows that Cruz and Rubio can't energize their voters like Trump can. Trump is 100% correct when he says she doesn't want to run against him. She knows Trump controls the narrative.
Maybe she just wants you to think that so you'll vote for Trump.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

etalian posted:

If someone does a political word cloud, it will just be 'energy', 'low', and 'yooge' around a magnficent, gigantic, veiny 'schlonged'.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

homeless poster posted:

i still think the fact that the big banks got bailed out, and no meaningful consequences were suffered by any of the CEOs / shareholders, and no real regulation (with teeth, that is enforceable) was put in place, is a big black mark that overshadows whatever political theater was taking place.

i know that isn't obama's sole fault, and i know the republicans and democrats in the house / senate are just as complicit in all the shady poo poo that went down after the recession with the banking industry, but when people talk about obama's presidency in your 100+ year timeframe, i expect that to be more pertinent than the fact that the legislature didn't play nice with him.

Obama was supported by insiders because he was malleable and would listen to whatever his handlers told him. The guy let the treasury tell him what to do after the financial crisis. He let insurance lobbyists write Obamacare for him. He stood by while the US helped overthrow the Libyan government and created power vacuums that fostered the creation of ISIS. I can agree that it wasn't Obamas fault but only because he has limited agency.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oceanlife posted:

Obama was supported by insiders because he was malleable and would listen to whatever his handlers told him. The guy let the treasury tell him what to do after the financial crisis. He let insurance lobbyists write Obamacare for him. He stood by while the US helped overthrow the Libyan government and created power vacuums that fostered the creation of ISIS. I can agree that it wasn't Obamas fault but only because he has limited agency.

Yeah it was the Treasury department who convinced Obama to not go after Wall Street banks since it sold him on keeping the banks together as being a necessary evil for recovery.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Oceanlife posted:

This is why you don't put first term senators in the White House.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oceanlife posted:

ISIS wasn't created from Libya. Plus there's no telling the situation wouldn't have gone to poo poo like it did in Syria (where Obama didn't do poo poo).

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Dec 23, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

etalian posted:

as long as it edges out "cuck", hell, ill allow it

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

paranoid randroid posted:

as long as it edges out "cuck", hell, ill allow it

why not both? :getin:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Well, they couldn't have literally had a First Hundred Days since the situation you're describing lasted for 27 days. My understanding is they got a lot of poo poo done during the time, actually, but meh. You have something of a point.

They passed Obama care so yeah they did do something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

You could say the exact same thing for any party.

• Locked thread