Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Onmi posted:

I'm having the hardest time convincing my friend to watch as her main complaint seems to be "It's a one joke series, hurr hurr Saitama beats everything in one punch. There's no tension, it's got great animated fights but Saitama ruins it because you know he's going to win and how." She was also upset that Boros is dead because "He could have been something but then Nope. Saitama"

I have a friend thats basically the same. He thinks Saitama drags down the series and that not having a backstory basically ruins his ability to suspend disbelief. This being a series that whenever someone goes on about their backstory Saitama just twlls them to hurry up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I pity these fools who don't "get" it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

lol @ those guys

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kild posted:

lol @ those guys

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I have a friend thats basically the same. He thinks Saitama drags down the series and that not having a backstory basically ruins his ability to suspend disbelief. This being a series that whenever someone goes on about their backstory Saitama just twlls them to hurry up

Tell them Saitama has just as much backstory if not more than every other character.

Onmi posted:

I'm having the hardest time convincing my friend to watch as her main complaint seems to be "It's a one joke series, hurr hurr Saitama beats everything in one punch. There's no tension, it's got great animated fights but Saitama ruins it because you know he's going to win and how." She was also upset that Boros is dead because "He could have been something but then Nope. Saitama"

Wait if she watched up to Boros then hasn't she seen the whole series? Unless she's just watched the last episode.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tell them Saitama has just as much backstory if not more than every other character.

Wait if she watched up to Boros then hasn't she seen the whole series? Unless she's just watched the last episode.

she's seen clips and read about it. I was confused as well. So I just spammed her with Murata panels until she watched the first two episodes by basically pointing out that she already knows she'll watch it eventually. She might as well just bite the bullet and do it now. She said the humor didn't click with her either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

I don't understand this at all. That's so dense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even if they don't want to read the whole thing, it'd be worth reading the Omake chapters for anyone who wants to stay anime only because it's unlikely they're going to be adapted now that we know the general stories of the OVAs in the BluRays.

They add a chunk of back story and characterisation to many different characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

she's seen clips and read about it. I was confused as well. So I just spammed her with Murata panels until she watched the first two episodes by basically pointing out that she already knows she'll watch it eventually. She might as well just bite the bullet and do it now. She said the humor didn't click with her either.

Well if the humour doesn't click then that's probably that. Though it becomes clear pretty quick that there is more to the humour than "Saitama one-shots everything" so maybe it'll grow on her.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sever severely.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Humor is perhaps the most personal and subjective of all things but I do not understand how someone could fail to find this show, at the very least, amusing. Every version of it is a loving parody of not just anime, but of every stupid trope related to monomyths. Saitama isn't funny because he kills everything in one punch, he's funny because he breaks every rule of the world he inhabits while refusing to acknowledge he's even doing it. The tension doesn't come from the fights themselves, but from watching the various characters deal with the fact that he makes their entire existence is an arbitrary lie. Most of them do not cope very well.

Edit: That said, it is coming ever closer to that kind of pop status that stuff like Undertale and Portal get saddled with where the humor and fun starts to get undermined by the preconceived notions people develop from listing to everyone on the internet hoot about how awesome and funny it is.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 23, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't tell any of my friends about OPM, because they're expected to find and watch it by themselves.

It's a test of sorts.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I don't tell any of my friends about OPM, because they're expected to find and watch it by themselves.

It's a test of sorts.

Popular media has a saturation point past which some number of newcomers have their expectations colored to the point it taints the experience, or even drives them away completely. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's a thing which happens.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
People have been predicting this turning into a straight shonen since Murata started his redraw. Every other arc, someone says that this time, Saitama is totally going to encounter an enemy he has to fight seriously and the secret of his strength will finally be revealed. It's probably just the art being so good that a lot of people get way to emotionally invested in it to admit to themselves that the intent is comedy, not drama.

As for the anime, I think a lot of resentment comes from how incredible bland the last view seasons of fighting anime have been, both visually and artistically. It probably stings a little that the best looking anime in a while is a parody of a genre that consist mostly of the same uninteresting schoolboy entering some kind of secret academy to have visually boring fights.

And yes, hype aversion definitely plays a part as this point.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did she not see the episode about Saitama's origins, when he had hair?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Bp28rKwYo

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Did she not see the episode about Saitama's origins, when he had hair?

He thought Saitama was an alien or something and I just laughed knowing that Boros was gonna show up, be basically Frieza and get completely owned by Saitama with 0 effort on his part.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's fun how some cliches are so entrenched that their lack can actually harm suspension of disbelief in certain folk.

"What's that? The protagonist doesn't have a tragic/complicated/mysterious backstory? He is just a guy? How can that even be!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He is kinda a combat Mary Sue but what else is there that ruffles them? He'll beat the enemy when he shows up, this is basically how animes have worked when it comes to main characters for the most part. The big threat kicks everyone's poo poo in until the main character shows up and beats them.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Lot of people itt need new friends.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Guys, it's kind of simple. If you aren't familiar with the shonen tropes and the general idea that the protagonist will always be the strongest, then the series loses a lot of appeal. It's like expecting everyone who hasn't read Hamlet to enjoy Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

People who say there is no tension need to watch the Sea King arc immediately

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

KoB
May 1, 2009
If you dont feel anything when Mumen Rider stands up to the Sea King, you are dead inside.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Surprisingly Dope posted:

You talk about anime girls turning you on in a weird way bitch.

I'll be more straightforward in future

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

El Burbo posted:

People who say there is no tension need to watch the Sea King arc immediately

I think they get caught up with the idea that "oh whats the point saitama is just going to come and punch them". Which you know completely misses the point because what Saitama does is just a condensed version of what all other shonen hero series do. Eventually the good guys beat the bad guys.

Going by recent Shonen series I actually think this is a vast improvement because fights seem to be taking a loving long time to finish and its infinitely more entertaining to see the other heroes cutting lose till Saitama can reach them and loving own the bad guys

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Saitama is at exactly as much risk in any fight as any other shonen protagonist, OPM is just honest about it

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Saitama is at exactly as much risk in any fight as any other shonen protagonist, OPM is just honest about it
And the fights are about as fair for the bad guys.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Whoever watches the Boros fight and goes away unfulfilled on action is crazy in the coconut

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I liked that Boros was so powerful he did not die in one punch. And due to his regenerative powers, that means he's indestructible until Saitama uses his secret weapon: a slightly stronger punch

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Skippy McPants posted:

"What's that? The protagonist doesn't have a tragic/complicated/mysterious backstory? He is just a guy? How can that even be!"
Tbf he does have a tragic back story. He was finding little meaning in life, jobless, and goalless. And then after he crushes everything he suffered through some depression before finding friends. That's plenty tragic.

many johnnys posted:

I liked that Boros was so powerful he did not die in one punch. And due to his regenerative powers, that means he's indestructible until Saitama uses his secret weapon: a slightly stronger punch
Yeah I love how the serious punch keeps the aspect of "Saitama only needing one punch to finish the fight" and allowing the enemies to show strength and endurance.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

many johnnys posted:

The ultimate secret power up.

Hitting them harder!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZdYKfBCEw&t=1458s

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Twiddy posted:

Tbf he does have a tragic back story. He was finding little meaning in life, jobless, and goalless. And then after he crushes everything he suffered through some depression before finding friends. That's plenty tragic.

Tragedy implies an element of disaster, or drama; the stuff of epic events. Murdered parents or a burned village. The exact kind of backstory Genos has, you know, the character who would be the story's protagonist if sensei didn't exist. Saitama's backstory isn't tragic, it's just sad and depressing. I mean that in a good way. He has pathos and an arc. His story is about finding a way our of his rut. It doesn't have anything to do with fighting monsters, but with meeting people and forming connections, something he is slowly doing.

Credit to One for making him an actual character, with dimension and personality, rather than just a motile prop for the OP anime character conceit.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Reminder that Onepunch Man is a seinen, so it's not all that surprising that it's not like an average shonen series

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I'm still sad that none of the aliens survived. I'd love to have seen some of them a few arcs down the line blending in to One Punch's Earth and becoming regular citizens for a chapter or two Sunred style. I love stories that include poo poo like that.

Skippy McPants posted:

Humor is perhaps the most personal and subjective of all things but I do not understand how someone could fail to find this show, at the very least, amusing. Every version of it is a loving parody of not just anime, but of every stupid trope related to monomyths.

I don't find One Punch Man to be a particularly funny manga. I started reading it a year or two ago when people on the forums first started really chatting about it and was expecting a lot of humor but never really got it. I still love the series regardless because I think it works really well as a straight action series even if I'm not laughing the whole time the way I at least imagine from many posts that most forum users who like it are. I find it interesting and definitely fun, but very rarely funny. The anime actually works better in that regard I think, because the extra visual cues make some of the jokes, like Saitama and Tatsumaki's simple art in many scenes, finally work for me - where I never found that actually funny in either the One or Murata manga versions.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The funniest joke for me had always been when the giant hits the wrong shoulder and squashes his brother instead of Saitama.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm still sad that none of the aliens survived. I'd love to have seen some of them a few arcs down the line blending in to One Punch's Earth and becoming regular citizens for a chapter or two Sunred style. I love stories that include poo poo like that.

I don't find One Punch Man to be a particularly funny manga. I started reading it a year or two ago when people on the forums first started really chatting about it and was expecting a lot of humor but never really got it. I still love the series regardless because I think it works really well as a straight action series even if I'm not laughing the whole time the way I at least imagine from many posts that most forum users who like it are. I find it interesting and definitely fun, but very rarely funny. The anime actually works better in that regard I think, because the extra visual cues make some of the jokes, like Saitama and Tatsumaki's simple art in many scenes, finally work for me - where I never found that actually funny in either the One or Murata manga versions.

I haven't read the manga, but I agree that OPM isn't actually all that funny, and isn't even trying to be a lot of the time. There's some amusing bits like Genos's overlong backstory and Saitama comparing Boros to a telemarketer, but most shonen action series have some amount of comic relief (although their jokes generally miss more often than OPM's do), and elements like Saitama's ennui and Boros blowing up the city are actually treated pretty seriously.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Silver2195 posted:

I haven't read the manga, but I agree that OPM isn't actually all that funny,

I find it funny in ways other anime aren't. Like, they'll do the same joke but the outcome is something other than you thought it would be, which is the very essence of comedy.

[edit]

Any other anime and this scene would have been played differently. I love how long it takes to park his bike.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
If you don't find one punch man funny you have a poor sense of humor.

• Locked thread