Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Scyantific posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-h6XkEOFQc

Ladies and Gentlemen, your "MMO of the Year"

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2sJxe_Ows :bravo:

FYI Orsinium is boring as gently caress. I only go there to murder World Bosses (usually solo) and haven't even bothered to finish the main story because it's that painful of a slog.

For someone who plays the gently caress out of this game you sure don't seem to like it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

NeurosisHead posted:

For someone who plays the gently caress out of this game you sure don't seem to like it at all.

The idea that he's murdering Orsinium world bosses solo is also kind of loving absurd.

They're bosses that typically take 10-30 people to take down. It's why zone chat is filled with people asking for invites. And usually there's a poo poo ton of casualties along the way due to all the AOE attacks they throw around. If he's somehow able to actually take them down solo then it's no wonder he finds the zone and the rest of the game to be boring. He's beaten the game so badly he's broken it over his knee.

You'd have to be playing the game a long time to even approach that point. Never mind the sheer amount of sperging about min maxing you'd have to do.

Maybe he should treat the game less like a professional job?

Third World Reggin posted:

So my understanding is that if I don't have the DLC and I go to the pvp zone I can't follow people into the special imperial city pvp area, is that true?

Are there less people in RvR now that this DLC is out?

Also did they seriously try to give away a million dollars then lay off a bunch of their staff
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/21/bethesda-confirms-job-losses-at-elder-scrolls-online-developer

Apparently those are customer support personnel. So it isn't going to actually affect development unless they somehow had the call center and tech support staff working on the game. Still kind of a crappy thing to do. Though that's the game development industry I guess.

The Imperial City DLC is weird. Especially for being their first DLC expansion. Thing is, it's the sort of thing goons would be good at due to being coordinated in guilds so often. But your average pubbie is going to be poo poo at it. Namely because the zone itself is heavily centered around small group based PVP. This is encouraged by having all of the mobs be balls hard and typically require more than one player to take out.

Unfortunately this means that it's nowhere near as populated as Cyrodiil is. Especially if you choose a low population campaign. This isn't that big of a deal though. You really don't want a gank squad wiping out 80 percent of your work when you're trying to get the unique styles and sets it offers. Some of them are swanky as hell.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 23, 2015

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Trogdos! posted:

How's this game for occasional solo PvE-ing? I've been eyeing ESO and kinda want an Elder Scrolls 5.5 game since I'm pretty much done with Skyrim. Are quests interesting or just bear-rear end hauling? I'm not interested in raiding or PvP or anything requiring commitment.

It's brilliant for that, if you ask me. After you complete the main quest, you play through the other two factions' storylines. I've seen people refering to it a weak cop out, but I think it's awesome, and it makes the "solo" part of the game huge.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Archonex posted:

The idea that he's murdering Orsinium world bosses solo is also kind of loving absurd.

It's not that absurd, just need to take the codependent bits out of your build and not stand in red stuff. If you can run vet dungeons comfortably, you can solo an Orsinium world boss.

e: To add, I like Wrothgar. It has actual things to do, which is refreshing after 12 months of nothing but XP nerfs and pointless balance tweaks for PvP.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 23, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

valuum posted:

It's brilliant for that, if you ask me. After you complete the main quest, you play through the other two factions' storylines. I've seen people refering to it a weak cop out, but I think it's awesome, and it makes the "solo" part of the game huge.

Seconding this. If you like questing in your faction, the other two factions are even better. Plus, you get champion points and more gold, so try not to get altitis until you've knocked out a few veteran ranks on your first toon.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

tgidieday posted:

It's not that absurd, just need to take the codependent bits out of your build and not stand in red stuff. If you can run vet dungeons comfortably, you can solo an Orsinium world boss.

e: To add, I like Wrothgar. It has actual things to do, which is refreshing after 12 months of nothing but XP nerfs and pointless balance tweaks for PvP.

Most players aren't going to build for that though. Hell, most players can't grasp the concept of killing the healing mobs in the Imperial City PVE dungeons. Otherwise there wouldn't be one person repeatedly screaming out some variant of the words "KILL THE loving HEALERS YOU DUMB FUCKS" in every other group I join that does those places.

Also Wrothgar is awesome. I just discovered that you can get random encounters while I was traveling to another delve today. I had some Orc mercenary come out of nowhere and start screaming insults and poo poo talking me before demanding a duel. Only when I beat him down the fight automatically stopped when he had a sliver of health left as he demanded I finish it.

I did. After my vampire fed on him. :unsmigghh:

Edit: I just had another random encounter where I met some Orc named Batasha that likes to get wasted in the wilderness. I paid her 69 coins and she let me get drunk off of her stuff, which apparently is so potent I now regain stamina faster. After we finished drinking together I stole her pack and stock of drinks before running away.

Then I tried to rob a bath house only to get caught and pummeled to death by a bunch of enraged naked orcs and one obese Breton.

What i'm saying is that there needs to be more DLC like this.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

We're talking about a game where people have solo'd Veteran Dragonstar Arena, the Molag Bal event in IC, and several Trial bosses. Saying that it's absurd to solo Orsinium world bosses is an overreaction. Hell I'm not even running 501 Champion Points and fully upgraded gear, so you can't exactly say that I'm min-maxing everything. Solo-ing them is a matter of learning the mechanics and having some self-sustain in place (Surge heals, Siphoning skills, damage shields).

Also the game has its moments, but sometimes the sheer incompetence of the devs can be blatantly on display (taking more than a week to fix a UI issue that a user fixed with a few lines of code in 2 days) and that's what pisses people off.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.
request guild invite for @a'egir

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sneaking posted:

request guild invite for @a'egir

Says account not found.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Scyantific posted:

We're talking about a game where people have solo'd Veteran Dragonstar Arena, the Molag Bal event in IC, and several Trial bosses. Saying that it's absurd to solo Orsinium world bosses is an overreaction. Hell I'm not even running 501 Champion Points and fully upgraded gear, so you can't exactly say that I'm min-maxing everything. Solo-ing them is a matter of learning the mechanics and having some self-sustain in place (Surge heals, Siphoning skills, damage shields).

Also the game has its moments, but sometimes the sheer incompetence of the devs can be blatantly on display (taking more than a week to fix a UI issue that a user fixed with a few lines of code in 2 days) and that's what pisses people off.

How many hours have you been playing this game? I ask out of a desire for context.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Says account not found.

FYI, this is one of those things Scyantific is talking about. Apostrophes have screwed up whispers and guild invites for 20 months now.

e: There, I think I tricked it with the POWERFUL COMMAND LINE INTERFACE.
e2: Nope, guess not. Are you PC NA?

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 24, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
If the account name doesn't work, it should be possible to invite via a character name as well (though we are missing that atm).

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Sorry, that was the character name. I have no idea what I am doing. Account name is @chillman0122

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sneaking posted:

Sorry, that was the character name. I have no idea what I am doing. Account name is @chillman0122

Invite sent and that makes two of us.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

How many hours have you been playing this game? I ask out of a desire for context.

Not enough, IMO.

Also I hosed up big time just now, was on upgrade autopilot doing some lowbie crafting and ended up gold-ing a level 36 Hunding's Rage helm.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think it's not the number of hours in question, but duration. People who have played since the pre beta beta beta have watched all the changes and had time to familiarize themselves with the shifting mechanics, mastered animation cancelling and rotations, completely learned the mechanics of the boss fights/donjons, etc. I have been playing casually for awhile and am still at that stage where I am sure that I will be the jeeenioous who discovers the hidden mechanic that everyone has overlooked (Argonian Templar anyone). I don't know how things really fit together and have no clue about the group fights, am still sorting out the champion point system, etc., etc. Due to reasons I have been like a statue target in PvP able to throw one attack to my opponents six. I mostly just try to look good dying.

For me the game is still relatively full of random encounters (many related to Achievements), mysterious dynamics and lots of stupid mistakesrobust opportunities for learning. Some of the story lines and side quests have the occasional evocative story or NPC. I played just enough Skyrim here and there to enjoy the lore without really already knowing it. I like ignoring the lore sometimes and just being a world ignorant killing machine. I like the crafting and economic systems more than almost any other MMO I have played. There is virtually no third party game ruining activity. The items you can craft are good enough to use throughout the game with the only real imbalance possibly being the resource cost for v16 gear and even that does not seem insanely bad to me. There are enough ways to level and play that if I go about it one way I feel that I am missing out on something else.

Again, it is an MMO so everything is broken, unbalanced, changing, catering to audiences that aren't me (I am sure they would change that if they knew who I was!) and progressively buggy, exploitable, gimped, etc., etc., etc. I like the game and am looking forward to getting to play it on my new PC build in the coming months.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

tgidieday posted:

Invite sent and that makes two of us.

In my defense, I drink. A LOT. Soooooo...

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I was asking about hours moreso because Scyantific sounds pretty burned out on the game and I was hoping to get a sense of the game's longevity. I mean, do I have a solid 100 hours of fun to look forward to or when do the cracks start to show? I play maybe an hour or two on some days so it's not like I'm burning through content or what have you.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

bonds0097 posted:

I was asking about hours moreso because Scyantific sounds pretty burned out on the game and I was hoping to get a sense of the game's longevity. I mean, do I have a solid 100 hours of fun to look forward to or when do the cracks start to show? I play maybe an hour or two on some days so it's not like I'm burning through content or what have you.

I dunno. I've sunk about 10/20 hours in the game, and I still have fun. But I've got Uppercut, and I'm an easily amused peasant soooooo

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

bonds0097 posted:

The game has probably never been better, to be honest.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

bonds0097 posted:

I play an hour or two every few days, and have taken some months off here and there since launch. If you're not the kind of person who has to take everything you dislike as a personal attack and everything that you are inclined to laugh at a little bit as evidence of gross negligence and incompetence it's a fun game with a lot of staying power.

And if you are inclined to get worked up at the drop of a hat that's okay too! You'll be able to play literally thousands of hours of this game and complain for all of them because there's so much variety to experiment with.

Therapist
Aug 13, 2002

So I jus e'aim at e'heart of San Luis fan e'pull e'treeger? Hokay.
:suicide:
Guild invite please? @Theralax

I just started, and chose AD Altmer Sorc - bad choice? I gather Goons are on EP and that's what I need to be on in order to actually raid etc with other goons? I just finished tutorial so I could easily re-roll if being on EP will greatly enhance my enjoyment...

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Therapist posted:

I just started, and chose AD Altmer Sorc - bad choice? I gather Goons are on EP and that's what I need to be on in order to actually raid etc with other goons? I just finished tutorial so I could easily re-roll if being on EP will greatly enhance my enjoyment...

EP is definitely the active faction and it is my understanding that while there are plans for cross faction grouping for PVE, that is not implemented at this time. That said, you are probably best off switching to EP. You can be in the guild regardless of faction though for chat purposes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Therapist posted:

Ennuid and Pluto have characters across all 3 factions so you won't be left out that much. Moreso when Zenimax gets off their rear end and implements true cross-faction grouping and doesn't force us to use a terrible LFG tool, then we'll be able to grab you for raids everywhere.

But if you've just started and feel like you want to re-roll go ahead. Just make sure to get the Explorer Pack upgrade so you can still roll an Altmer in EP. Alternatively you could not and roll Dunmer Master Race (TM).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

I was hoping to get a sense of the game's longevity.

Burnout try-hard checking in. If you like the questing part (i.e. you're actually listening to the voice acting), you've got at least 150 hours until you hit endgame. If you don't mind grouping and enjoy a challenge, there's another solid 150+ hours of checking off Craglorn quests, veteran dungeons, and things like Dragonstar Arena. You still get a sense of progression, as you'll be grinding for gear as well as getting to Undaunted 9. Once you're completely done with all gold whatever, the game does lose its luster (albeit after more than 300 hours of fun).

Sneaking posted:

I've got Uppercut, and I'm an easily amused peasant soooooo

Like Sneaking, I am also an easily amused peasant who enjoys smashing stuff in the face with a two-hander. So when the game gets stale, I just take a break, start a new character, and the game is fun again.

e: Lastly, stay off the official forums and don't listen to ESO Live. You really don't want to know what the community wants or what Zenimax has planned for the future, because it's all frustratingly short-sighted garbage. Instead, treat game changes like getting hit with a Chicxulub-style meteor. There's no sense worrying about it ahead of time. Wait until it happens, and if you're still alive, you can try to rebuild.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 24, 2015

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

tgidieday posted:

Burnout try-hard checking in. If you like the questing part (i.e. you're actually listening to the voice acting), you've got at least 150 hours until you hit endgame. If you don't mind grouping and enjoy a challenge, there's another solid 150+ hours of checking off Craglorn quests, veteran dungeons, and things like Dragonstar Arena. You still get a sense of progression, as you'll be grinding for gear as well as getting to Undaunted 9. Once you're completely done with all gold whatever, the game does lose its luster (albeit after more than 300 hours of fun).

Like Sneaking, I am also an easily amused peasant who enjoys smashing stuff in the face with a two-hander. So when the game gets stale, I just take a break, start a new character, and the game is fun again.

Cool, I fall into all three categories so sounds like this will keep me busy for quite a while, particularly if they keep releasing more content.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Cool, I fall into all three categories so sounds like this will keep me busy for quite a while, particularly if they keep releasing more content.

Yeah that's the thing that has me most excited about the game. If they keep releasing zones on par with Wrothgar every four months, it's going to have a lot of staying power.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

tgidieday posted:

e: Lastly, stay off the official forums and don't listen to ESO Live. You really don't want to know what the community wants or what Zenimax has planned for the future, because it's all frustratingly short-sighted garbage. Instead, treat game changes like getting hit with a Chicxulub-style meteor. There's no sense worrying about it ahead of time. Wait until it happens, and if you're still alive, you can try to rebuild.

My spider-sense is telling me this is really, really good advice.

Therapist
Aug 13, 2002

So I jus e'aim at e'heart of San Luis fan e'pull e'treeger? Hokay.
:suicide:

Scyantific posted:

Ennuid and Pluto have characters across all 3 factions so you won't be left out that much. Moreso when Zenimax gets off their rear end and implements true cross-faction grouping and doesn't force us to use a terrible LFG tool, then we'll be able to grab you for raids everywhere.

But if you've just started and feel like you want to re-roll go ahead. Just make sure to get the Explorer Pack upgrade so you can still roll an Altmer in EP. Alternatively you could not and roll Dunmer Master Race (TM).

Cool, re-rolled a Dunmer on EP. Character name Isiabal, account Theralax.

Zerric
Jan 11, 2003
Big Dick Zerric
Can I get an invite to the guild please? Account name Zerric

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Argonian Templar is the best.

Well at least the coolest and that's all that matters. Might make an Orc Sorcerer because it would be rad. Running my templar has been a joy. I have a healing setup on my second bar, and I can pop into dungeon finder real fast and get going. I'm also like a tier ahead of my enchanting skills being able to make runes 15 levels higher then I am.

So during my entire time in Deshann, I haven't found a single level 20 solvent. I'm on my last quests and literally I haven't found anything but level 10 water. In four levels I'm going to need level 30 solvents. What gives? Why can't I find anything? I'm sure as hell not going to buy from these insane guild auction houses. Maybe I need to join a EP PS4 trade guild.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Moochewmoo posted:

Argonian Templar is the best.

Well at least the coolest and that's all that matters. Might make an Orc Sorcerer because it would be rad. Running my templar has been a joy. I have a healing setup on my second bar, and I can pop into dungeon finder real fast and get going. I'm also like a tier ahead of my enchanting skills being able to make runes 15 levels higher then I am.

So during my entire time in Deshann, I haven't found a single level 20 solvent. I'm on my last quests and literally I haven't found anything but level 10 water. In four levels I'm going to need level 30 solvents. What gives? Why can't I find anything? I'm sure as hell not going to buy from these insane guild auction houses. Maybe I need to join a EP PS4 trade guild.

No please don't roll Orc Sorc. That's a FENGRUSHTM exclusive (I'm joking, do whatever you want).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Steam is broken today, their cache seems to be serving up your account details to any random stranger. You're safe if you haven't used Steam in the last few hours.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

Steam is broken today, their cache seems to be serving up your account details to any random stranger. You're safe if you haven't used Steam in the last few hours.

I noticed. Time to burn down my internet footprint.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
It looks like I've inherited GM of the deconstruction circle jerk crafting guild. I'd like to make it useful, and I'd like to clean up the roster a little bit since there's plenty of names on there that don't use it. I made a form to get info on who is active, link here. I'll probably purge the rolls in a couple of weeks when the people who only log in rarely have had time to see the poll in the MOTD.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You could just sort the guild by date of last login and purge anyone who is over a few months.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Do guilds need a certain amount of people in them to maintain the bank? I know you need a number to unlock it initially.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Do guilds need a certain amount of people in them to maintain the bank? I know you need a number to unlock it initially.

Yeah, it's 10 for bank/tabard, 50 for store. You lose access if you lose the people, so there's no incentive to kick people out unless you're getting close to 500.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Rough Lobster posted:

As long as you're always over 10 members, you have a guild bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

tgidieday posted:

Yeah, it's 10 for bank/tabard, 50 for store. You lose access if you lose the people, so there's no incentive to kick people out unless you're getting close to 500.
There's a tabard? Where's the tabard?

e: log on, dummy!

• Locked thread