Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Both terms imply a gift of what she's more than earned a chance at on merit. Rubio is more nepotism than Hillary imo

not to even mention the obvious one lol

Lmao.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Louisgod posted:

I don't really get the rage against PC culture, is it that people are butthurt that they can't call others gay, use the n word without recourse, and casually tell women their bitchy attitude probably means it's that time of the month again?
It's people who grew up a certain way being informed that pretty much their entire personality is loving garbage and needs to be totally reworked. Even if there is a lot of truth to that (there is), it's a bitter pill to swallow. Bitter enough that most will choose not to - especially when political correctness, or the lack thereof, forms a core portion of their cultural identity.

Louisgod posted:

I guess if I were a racist homophobic woman hating middle class white Fox News viewer (I am) I'd be upset over PC culture too.
And this kind of talk doesn't help, either. Shaming tactics like this will get people to shut their mouth, but only if they perceive they're vastly outnumbered. And it doesn't actually fix the person at all, so in effect all you're doing is driving a wedge between yourself and that person, putting them in the out-group bucket. That should sound familiar.

I don't know. Maybe these people can't be fixed, and the best we can hope for is that they're marginalized enough that their lovely opinions can't hurt anyone. I can't say either way from looking at "PC culture" though, because as best I can tell most of them aren't interested in actually changing anyone's mind.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

I had a boss come to me to ask me what I thought about Trump yesterday.

I showed him the SNL debate video.

He liked that Trump is willing to kill PC culture and that he will make America great again.

Also that Trump will cut off welfare benefits to Somalis who are able to wire hundreds of thousands overseas to potentially support terrorist groups.

politifact rates this poster - "pants on head"

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Louisgod posted:

I don't really get the rage against PC culture, is it that people are butthurt that they can't call others gay, use the n word without recourse, and casually tell women their bitchy attitude probably means it's that time of the month again? I guess if I were a racist homophobic woman hating middle class white Fox News viewer (I am) I'd be upset over PC culture too.

Seconded.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of people who weaponize political correctness to shut down important conversations or marginalize people's (non-bigoted) opinions because "privilege", but that really is a very small problem, especially in comparison to, say, misogynistic rhetoric spouted by mainstream Presidential candidates.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
big time jackbooted thought police wordcrime PC enforcer SJW thug here, ama

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

paranoid randroid posted:

how much is :shillary: clinton hussein obama paying you?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Do you enjoy limiting all speech, or just free speech?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
A lot of Freepers believe PC culture is a part of cultural marxism and that people who are 'pc' are useful idiots who are furthering the marxist/crony capitalist/nazi/Clinton/Obama agenda.

Others just think PC is for 'pussies'.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Should I start wearing a yellow star on my jacket and compulsively informing people of my sexual orientation and gender identity in order to be taken more seriously in discussions about politics?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

It's fun limited all speech but I can only get an erection by limited the freest of speeches, things said on the internet.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

uh yes we could, because we did, ya idjit.

the chinese still don't have a free trade agreement with the us and they've been making tons of our stuff for decades. and japan and taiwan and hong kong were the predecessors for that and didn't have free trade agreements of a meaningful kind either (we'd give them free trade for certain limited subsets of goods, but the costs were so low that they remained competitive in the fields they didn't have such considerations).

Please don't bring your lovely contrarian-posting here. This is a safe space.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 18, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

"If someone strikes you on your left cheek, carpet bomb their village and families into dust."

I saw an interview with some evangelical on 9/11 (like on the actual morning) and he said unironically this. Individuals should turn the other cheek; nations should blow up anyone who looks at them funny. Don't know which part of the New Testament that's from

Fox Ironic posted:

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of people who weaponize political correctness to shut down important conversations or marginalize people's (non-bigoted) opinions because "privilege", but that really is a very small problem, especially in comparison to, say, misogynistic rhetoric spouted by mainstream Presidential candidates.

Yeah a lot of pc advocates (or any activists really) are students and students are self-righteous idiots so you'll always find someone getting silly with it, it doesn't undermine the basic concept at all

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Clipperton posted:

Yeah a lot of pc advocates (or any activists really) are students and students are self-righteous idiots so you'll always find someone getting silly with it, it doesn't undermine the basic concept at all

Of course, nothing wrong with the basic concept.

I'm just a whiny anarchist who's fed up with being talked over at meetings is all.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I hate pc culture because I'm sick of talking about IBM! ! ! ! ! !

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

He's right, though, FTAs aren't the main cornerstone of free trade, multilateral regimes (GATT / WTO) are.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Strong powerful handwriting of a winner.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

We're heading through the looking glass, people:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/david-brock-says-trumps-schlong-remark-was-really-about-calling-obama-a-black-rapist/

quote:

“What we’re gonna see, and what we got a taste of last night, was the misogynistic attacks on Hillary Clinton, which also had a racial appeal, as well. The idea of a black rapist using the schlong to defeat Hillary, I mean, I think that’s what that really was about.”

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Just lol if people actually loving believe that Trump is trying to put subliminal messages in his wandering stand up act that he does at his rallies.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Poor Jeb! is only 0.5% away from being passed up by Christie in the RCP average.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

how much is :shillary: clinton hussein obama paying you?

thirty ameros an hour

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

speech, emphatic hand gestures, hell even facial expressions

Fox Ironic posted:

Should I start wearing a yellow star on my jacket and compulsively informing people of my sexual orientation and gender identity in order to be taken more seriously in discussions about politics?

if you do not have an orientation that meets the guidelines on form 3113-EZ, one will be assigned to you

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

stop getting mad at the reality of globalization instead of pretending WELL IF WE JUST DIDNT DO NAFTA ITD ALL BE FINE

get real, the containerization revolution already cut the floor out

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

2016 Republican Primary: Using the Schlong to Defeat Hillary

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

speech, emphatic hand gestures, hell even facial expressions

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Kilroy posted:

I don't know. Maybe these people can't be fixed, and the best we can hope for is that they're marginalized enough that their lovely opinions can't hurt anyone. I can't say either way from looking at "PC culture" though, because as best I can tell most of them aren't interested in actually changing anyone's mind.

It's minutely about changing opinion but mostly about feeling morally superior for being on the "right side of history" on manspreading or sexist air conditioning or some other bullshit issue that absorbs news cycles and page clicks

Only way to stop it is to deprive the whiners of attention or burn their beacons to the ground so theyre forced back into tumblr or w/e

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Louisgod posted:

I don't really get the rage against PC culture, is it that people are butthurt that they can't call others gay, use the n word without recourse, and casually tell women their bitchy attitude probably means it's that time of the month again? I guess if I were a racist homophobic woman hating middle class white Fox News viewer (I am) I'd be upset over PC culture too.

Did your dumb rear end actually just lead off a screed about "PC Culture" by saying "butthurt that they can't call others gay"? Do you read anything you write at all?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fishmech posted:

stop getting mad at the reality of globalization instead of pretending WELL IF WE JUST DIDNT DO NAFTA ITD ALL BE FINE

get real, the containerization revolution already cut the floor out

I'm not even arguing with you. I just don't want to see this poo poo ITT.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

walker wants it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Louisgod posted:

In the china thread in gbs right now, there are people who live in china, talk poorly about china, and may use some terms people are not comfortable with like nong, half breed, or mulatto. People get really upset about it despite even more people from china who come into the thread and say "no this is exactly right. Why are you upset at the word usage." It is mainly white people who get upset at word usage that they feel is unfair to a culture or group despite that culture or group using them their selves. Like a gay man calling someone a fag or a jew telling jew jokes. The white people who are not a part of that group get really upset about it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm not even arguing with you. I just don't want to see this poo poo ITT.

"i don't want to see facts!! facts hurt my feelings!!!" - vox nihili, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb! is a regifter. The worst. Just terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_m8IWk-K7c

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “How did we handle World War II? Pretty drat good. In fact, you know, we had a — we had a force that brought stability, created opportunities for the rebuilding of both Japan and Germany in a way that benefitted us and created stability for two generations. It’s different than an occupying force, clearly there’s no interest to do that.” ~ Jeb!, on handling ISIS

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

It's minutely about changing opinion but mostly about feeling morally superior for being on the "right side of history" on manspreading or sexist air conditioning or some other bullshit issue that absorbs news cycles and page clicks

Only way to stop it is to deprive the whiners of attention or burn their beacons to the ground so theyre forced back into tumblr or w/e

cracker of a cultural appropriation thread going on in d&d right now

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

omg what happened to this thread?

it's your fault, everyone was starved for news of jeb! and in their unbearable excitement they turned on each other

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

a cop posted:

What are you referring to?

Criticizing Hillary "triggers" many democrats, hence the title of the democratic primary thread.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2016

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Did your dumb rear end actually just lead off a screed about "PC Culture" by saying "butthurt that they can't call others gay"? Do you read anything you write at all?

lol you caught that, good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Joementum posted:

Jeb! is a regifter. The worst. Just terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_m8IWk-K7c

What? No piece of coal for baby Hitler? Is Jeb! losing his edge?

• Locked thread