Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The Force isn't limited to select individuals. It is there for every living thing to trust in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Danger posted:

The Force isn't limited to select individuals. It is there for every living thing to trust in.

Right, but some characters have Special Destinies, and those Special Destinies manifest as being good at the Force. Han seems to "believe" in the Force and trust in it during the interval separating Episodes VI and VII but he isn't choking out the weird Cthulu monsters he was smuggling

Using space magic is pretty clearly a skill you need to cultivate

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You don't think Rey is one of Lukes old apprentices but was ~~mind~~ wiped or just blocking the trauma out?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

guts and bolts posted:

Right, but some characters have Special Destinies, and those Special Destinies manifest as being good at the Force. Han seems to "believe" in the Force and trust in it during the interval separating Episodes VI and VII but he isn't choking out the weird Cthulu monsters he was smuggling

Using space magic is pretty clearly a skill you need to cultivate

Luke uses it just fine to destroy the Death Star with little practice.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

hemale in pain posted:

You don't think Rey is one of Lukes old apprentices but was ~~mind~~ wiped or just blocking the trauma out?

I don't remember which thread I posted it in, but Kylo's behavior in TFA only makes any goddamn sense if he already knows Rey. Maybe she was getting cursory training early in life - as Jedi do, I guess - and then Kylo and Co. loving Luke's Jedi College up puts the kibash on that plan, so she winds up hidden on Jakku where she'll be safe. Or whatever.

It's a pretty safe bet that Kylo Ren knows Rey somehow, hence his interest in recruiting and training her, and general attitude toward her especially during the interrogation scene.

EDIT:

cargohills posted:

Luke uses it just fine to destroy the Death Star with little practice.

To hit a target he already thought he could hit anyway?

Again, if you're arguing about the specific space wizardry that Luke is capable versus Rey, you are sort of missing the point as to why certain people are kinda not into Rey, I think.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

guts and bolts posted:

I don't remember which thread I posted it in, but Kylo's behavior in TFA only makes any goddamn sense if he already knows Rey. Maybe she was getting cursory training early in life - as Jedi do, I guess - and then Kylo and Co. loving Luke's Jedi College up puts the kibash on that plan, so she winds up hidden on Jakku where she'll be safe. Or whatever.

It's a pretty safe bet that Kylo Ren knows Rey somehow, hence his interest in recruiting and training her, and general attitude toward her especially during the interrogation scene.
My favorite theory is that Ren spared/saved Rey from the massacre in a moment of compassion, leaving her on Jakku and not expecting to see her again.

quote:

Again, if you're arguing about the specific space wizardry that Luke is capable versus Rey, you are sort of missing the point as to why certain people are kinda not into Rey, I think.

I think I'm missing the point because every time someone explains the contrast it makes zero sense.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
It would have been dope if the moment han died chewie woulda detonated the charges, some of which still in hans backpack, loving kylo up a bit instead of the bowcaster bolt.

Thats my fan fiction.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

guts and bolts posted:

Kylo's behavior in TFA only makes any goddamn sense if he already knows Rey.

I just saw this last night, but didn't I see a scene where Rey is a little kid, being led away by Kylo, while her parents fly away in a ship? I mean that seemed not up for debate.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Quad posted:

I just saw this last night, but didn't I see a scene where Rey is a little kid, being led away by Kylo, while her parents fly away in a ship? I mean that seemed not up for debate.

I thought I saw something like that but do the characters ages make sense for that to work?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Quad posted:

I believe that in that scene the person holding her arm is the alien salvage dealer she works for in the beginning. Same fingers, same voice. But the flashback to Ren and his crew surrounded by bodies would imply that Rey was there for that. But then again she also appeared in that corridor where (supposedly) Luke and Vader fought in ESB, so maybe she doesn't have to have been present for all those visions.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Sorry if this has been discussed already:
Is it obvious to everyone that Rey and Kylo are, probably cousins, or something? Rey has to be Luke's daughter, you don't set up every single aspect of Ep7 to be exactly like Ep4, including missing parents, without it leading up to a reveal about her parents. Rey will need an actual reason to fight the First Order other than just "they killed that guy I met a week ago" (or in Ep8, "because Luke said I probably should"), and since they made every possible choice the easiest way, that seems the most likely.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Quad posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed already:
Is it obvious to everyone that Rey and Kylo are, probably cousins, or something? Rey has to be Luke's daughter, you don't set up every single aspect of Ep7 to be exactly like Ep4, including missing parents, without it leading up to a reveal about her parents. Rey will need an actual reason to fight the First Order other than just "they killed that guy I met a week ago" (or in Ep8, "because Luke said I probably should"), and since they made every possible choice the easiest way, that seems the most likely.

I expect them to subvert some expectations in Episode VIII now that the stage is set and we've seen that they can do Star Wars "right."

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I expect them to subvert some expectations in Episode VIII now that the stage is set and we've seen that they can do Star Wars "right."

I felt like a dog in a new house the whole time. 15 minutes of change, introducing new characters, and then the movie went "oh nononono, come back, it's ok... sh.... look! look, a person hiding info in a droid! See? It's still Star Wars. Yeah... you're ok... shhh.... Look the droid is in a desert now! Don't be scared, it's just A New Hope, see? Yeah... no, I know, all this new stuff is scary, huh? It's ok, here, watch A New Hope again..."
I get that the shortest path to the most money is to make the exact same thing and trick people into believing it's new. And I liked it, I mean, it's hard not to smile when someone is tickling you. But it was SUCH a template that I'm surprised I don't see more reviews upset about how they chose to not take any risks at all.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Have Disney really subverted expectations with any of their recent major franchise films? Given the huge amount of money TFA has made playing I can't see them taking big risks with the sequel.

What seems a lot more likely is the spinoff films will function in a similar way to the Netflix MCU shows, playing to a slightly older audience and taking more risks or at least going in different directions.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

guts and bolts posted:

I think Rey catches an inordinate amount of flak from corners of the internet because TFA has her as essentially the main protagonist instead of it being more of an ensemble, or her being the Leia successor; having a girl being the lead in your space opera nerd movie is, I think, obviously going to generate idiotic, only-vaguely-veiled sexism. Rey is not that distractingly gifted by the narrative.

What bothers people about Rey in a more justified sense, to me, is how abrupt everything in the loving movie feels, and consequently Rey doesn't really "earn" her achievements in a satisfying way, narratively. Rey accidentally letting the monsters loose is a mild fuckup; Luke almost got crushed in a garbage disposal. Rey watched an old guy she knew of as a smuggler legend die; Luke had a guy he presumably knew for a while (and who was giving him the coach treatment on his Special Destiny) atomized in front of him. Rey gets to mind-trick a stormtrooper without any observed Force training; Luke doesn't even attempt a mind-trick until the third movie. Rey beats Kylo in a lightsaber duel in TFA, the Vader analogue; Luke has to do what amounts to a feature-length training montage with Frank Oz before he tries to duel Vader, and he gets his poo poo wrecked for his efforts.

The actual reasons depicted in the story for these events occurring matters less than you think it does - the end result is that Rey gets a lot more powerful than the character whose role she effectively inherited, and does it way too quickly. Pulling the saber to herself over Kylo, and the mind-trick, are the only things that I find myself agreeing with Rey-bashers on - they're sort of egregious, and the movie doesn't need those scenes to work. My gut feeling is that JJ knew nerds might inherently resist a ~girl knight~ as the main protagonist of this new trilogy, so he tried to sell her to us too hard. I don't think you lose anything at all in TFA if Rey can't mind-trick, can't "Force pull," and doesn't outright win her lightsaber duel with Kylo. The movie's basically the same; she just doesn't feel quite so powerful yet.

A lot of it also has to do with the Jedi context, I guess. Like this is a big deal in this universe, to the point where their (the Jedi) elimination was both terrifying and crippling. If rando people could just ~lol mindtrick~ because they've got power levels or whatever, the rest of the setting starts to unravel, and Star Wars is already pretty threadbare.

The other main problem it creates is that unless Kylo Ren straight up whips some rear end in Episode VIII, Rey has very little room to grow. She flies the goddamn Millennium Falcon and beat the "main" bad guy in a swordfight already, and we still have two more movies to go. Where do you go from here as Rey?

A few things:

Rey being more "powerful" than Luke is partially a symptom of a general sense of power inflation. ANH was a ragtag bunch of nobodies against the Keystone Cops; TFA is about living legends and their gifted heirs taking on the Waffen SS. Han and Chewie are both better and stronger than they were in the OT, Poe is a better pilot than Han or Luke, etc. Even the random stormtroopers and TIE fighters are more competent in TFA than they were in the OT. The overall feel of the movie is much different and Rey does not stand out that badly in the context of the movie she's in.

Moreover, Rey's victories are about her personal struggle with Kylo Ren. Other people get to save the galaxy, she just gets to save herself (and needs help to even do that much.) And importantly, Kylo Ren is NOT Vader. It's demonstrated pretty thoroughly that his role of "Vader analogue" is just a facade, especially in the context of his relationship to Rey. The OT was about Luke struggling to measure up to and eventually surpass his father, "the pupil has become the master" and all that. But Kylo Ren is not in any way a father figure--they even demonstrate him attempting to usurp that role ("let me train you!!!") and failing, just to drive the point home. Kylo and Rey are being set up as rivals, opposite but equal. They also seem like they're both going to be a lot more ambivalent about the whole good/evil dichotomy: remember that the Jedi were important not because they were the only ones ever capable of figuring out how to use the force but because they were dedicated to keeping force users from being corrupted by its power. This all sets up an entirely different dynamic for this trilogy and opens up a lot of new territory for the sequel to explore, assuming they don't gently caress it up. (I agree that if they reverse course and decide to retread Empire with Kylo as Vader 2.0 it's gonna be a major turd.)

I do agree that the mind trick was a bit much; I would've been happier if Kylo Ren would've at least demoed it in front of Rey at some point. The force pull didn't bother me nearly as much, it seems like a more intuitive power and it's narratively important for Rey to show off her power in front of Kylo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Quad posted:

I get that the shortest path to the most money is to make the exact same thing and trick people into believing it's new. And I liked it, I mean, it's hard not to smile when someone is tickling you. But it was SUCH a template that I'm surprised I don't see more reviews upset about how they chose to not take any risks at all.

Star wars is heading towards being 40 years old. At some point it's okay to tell a similar story written to a new generation. It's not like they haven't made a bunch of other movies with different stories since the originals. It's not like the original star wars was original to begin with with it's plot structure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spoeank posted:

I feel like I'm definitely falling for the trap but how can TFA be fundamentally flawed (an ANH remake) and a few script revisions away from greatness

At least for me, it's fundamentally flawed because of the Death Star plot (which isn't even that bad, it just doesn't belong in this story). Take that out, use the additional space to slow down the pacing, introduce some character interaction moments, and you've got a legitimately great film.

Like, Han & Leia meeting and interacting were the high points of character interaction. Though I will admit that Finn & Rey hyped as gently caress after fleeing the Tie Fighters on Jakku was pretty good too, in a different way.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Everyone I've spoken to who dislikes the movie dislikes it on the grounds that it isn't novel enough or is too much of a re-tread of ANH, which doesn't seem like a very valid criticism. Novelty alone doesn't make or break a film. I guess the meme is "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars" but I'm thinking it would be more accurately phrased as "Star Wars fans don't understand why they like the OT".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

the trump tutelage posted:

Everyone I've spoken to who dislikes the movie dislikes it on the grounds that it isn't novel enough or is too much of a re-tread of ANH, which doesn't seem like a very valid criticism.

Seems valid to me? I like the movie but I almost groaned at a couple of callbacks. They were just there to tick a checkbox.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kylo going from reaching in and trying to dig out Rey's memories while she tries to block him out to her pushing back and him looking like he's trying to fend her off is one of my favorite shots in this good, fun movie.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nothing owns more then when a bunch of nerds feed of each other's butt hurt and make a nice stew.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

Seems valid to me? I like the movie but I almost groaned at a couple of callbacks. They were just there to tick a checkbox.
How many sequels have their been that weren't either re-hashes of the original or re-hashes of some other film?

"The film wasn't original enough" is such an open-ended statement that it's basically meaningless. What is "original"? What is "enough"? Especially in the context of a franchise film?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danger posted:

It's a necessary element of Star Wars fans to completely misunderstand the meaning of the Force and really just actively disliking Star Wars. The only true Star Wars fans are children, so often grown men will try to become children to claim Star Wars fandom but they are of course false fans.

The men are of course doomed from the start, for even the True Star Wars Fans do not like Star Wars. No one does. How does this franchise even make money? That's the true mystery of the Force.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Everyone I've spoken to who dislikes the movie dislikes it on the grounds that it isn't novel enough or is too much of a re-tread of ANH, which doesn't seem like a very valid criticism.
Appreciation of a movie is a subjective experience. If you're a critic you should warn older fans that they may be disappointed in this regard (because everyone appreciates originality) while pointing out that new fans will enjoy it more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

How many sequels have their been that weren't either re-hashes of the original or re-hashes of some other film?

"The film wasn't original enough" is such an open-ended statement that it's basically meaningless. What is "original"? What is "enough"? Especially in the context of a franchise film?

I think it depends on how well it integrates into the story. A callback can have new thematic meaning depending on the context, or it can just be "hey guys, remember this?"

For example, Rocky Balboa borrows a lot of its basic structure from Rocky, including the ending. Yet because we're looking at a guy at the end of his career rather than the beginning, it takes on a whole new meaning.

RBA Starblade posted:

The men are of course doomed from the start, for even the True Star Wars Fans do not like Star Wars. No one does. How does this franchise even make money? That's the true mystery of the Force.

It's because people have an idea of Star Wars, and they like what that idea is.

Basically, this article: http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c-2849 but with "Star Wars" in place of "Constitution".

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Some people are calling Kylo "Darth Emo" but this is a disservice because, unlike moody suburban teenagers, Kylo has gone through some genuinely serious poo poo, which so far is know to include betraying his family and murdering his fellow padawans.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The answer, of course, is the dark side; or as Lacan defined the 'death drive'.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Instead of merging Poe with Finn, Poe and BB-8 should get their own movie. Poe was awesome, and I'd like Poe to do more stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the best explanation for Rey being so quick to pick up on flying the Falcon is that she's actually Lando's daughter.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

precision posted:

I think the best explanation for Rey being so quick to pick up on flying the Falcon is that she's actually Lando's daughter.

lando and han's daughter, that is why lando is wearing hans clothing in empire strikes back just randomly in one scene.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Rey is Nien Nunb's long lost daughter, actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was I the only one who was actually annoyed at what they did with Chewie in here? Having him boast and flirt and sass off? Like, I get that the dialogue had to be "updated" and have funny little quips, and most of them worked (though I'm still a bit iffy on the implication that R2 calls 3P0 a nonce), but I could do without "funny Chewie".

That said, as someone who saw the entire OT in theaters (granted, I was only 2 for ANH and Jedi is the only one I clearly remember the theater experience of) I was perfectly happy with this movie. It's a good little movie. The cultural baggage it has dragging it down is detracting from the praise it should be getting for being just fundamentally decent and having actual heart for a blockbuster (not coincidentally, the same thing happened with Star Trek 2009).

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Maz Kanata has a brilliant opening.

"Where's my boyfriend? I like that Wookie".

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Was I the only one who was actually annoyed at what they did with Chewie in here? Having him boast and flirt and sass off? Like, I get that the dialogue had to be "updated" and have funny little quips, and most of them worked (though I'm still a bit iffy on the implication that R2 calls 3P0 a nonce), but I could do without "funny Chewie".

What, as opposed to having him be a bumbling comic relief sidekick like in the OT?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gabriel Pope posted:

What, as opposed to having him be a bumbling comic relief sidekick like in the OT?

Well, I'd say he was more like a loyal shaggy dog than bumbling. He had heart in the OT, like the hug when he finds him in Jabba's palace.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

precision posted:

Well, I'd say he was more like a loyal shaggy dog than bumbling. He had heart in the OT, like the hug when he finds him in Jabba's palace.

He had heart in TFA too. Going on a rampage after Han's death, worrying over Finn, and getting that moment where he's grieving over Han after they return.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

precision posted:

though I'm still a bit iffy on the implication that R2 calls 3P0 a nonce

Have you seen any of the other Star Wars movies? If this bothers you, you might want to skip them.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Re: Rey "figuring out" grabbing the saber:

Luke was never told about any specific abilities that the force brings (except for when he trains with the laser ball) until he goes Yoda.

In that time he does a force pull of his saber.

IMMERSION RUINED :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Boogaleeboo posted:

4 billion dollars isn't a stupid justification.

they've made $600 million off a $4 billion dollar franchise purchase and a $500 million total movie budget in a week, so giving the star wars name a soft reboot in a modern format pretty much worked. for me it proves disney could really only do a nostalgic modern action blockbuster to make back what they spent (because :capitalism:). it's definitely a flawed movie because of that, but gently caress it, i thought the characters totally made up for it and i really want to see more of them with a smarter director which is what we're getting

then again the phantom menace made a billion over it's life, but i guess disney had to ensure this movie would work and make fuckloads of money

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 23, 2015

• Locked thread