Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Danger posted:

The Force isn't limited to select individuals. It is there for every living thing to trust in.

So, you wouldn't say, "The Force is strong in this one," because that would be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Hang on, R2 calling Threepio a nonce? Whut?!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Re: Rey "figuring out" grabbing the saber:

Luke was never told about any specific abilities that the force brings (except for when he trains with the laser ball) until he goes Yoda.

In that time he does a force pull of his saber.

IMMERSION RUINED :negative:
Luke trained under Obi-wan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you seen any of the other Star Wars movies? If this bothers you, you might want to skip them.

Right, because time doesn't pass. I fully expect Ted to call someone a "fag" in Bill and Ted 3 if it ever gets made, because he did in the first two!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

temple posted:

Luke trained under Obi-wan.

He got a few pointers at best. Even Yoda only taught him for a few days.

Rey picking it up quickly is fine and tells you a lot about her character.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Madurai posted:

So, you wouldn't say, "The Force is strong in this one," because that would be wrong.

All things having a connection to the force is not the same as all things having an equally strong connection to the force.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I thought the force was something everybody could use (it surrounds us, binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter) but only people who are really not sceptical, who are open and calm and collected, can reach into it and do things with it. Of course, there are people who are particularly well attuned to it.
Rey's body language in those two scenes show her basically clearing her mind calming down, and meditating/letting herself go to use it.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

ThePutty posted:

it's definitely a flawed movie because of that, but gently caress it, i thought the characters totally made up for it and i really want to see more of them with a smarter director which is what we're getting

So basically Disney has delivered the Star Wars movie we needed, and not the Star Wars movie we think we wanted.

That isn't even getting into the risks and breaking new ground on the casting. How the hell does Disney get flak for playing it too safe when they cast a girl as the main character on a 4 billion dollar set of movies, and then cast a black guy, who isn't The Black Guy, in the supporting role.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Picking it up quickly wouldn't be a problem, picking it up instantly and out of nowhere is.

Alot of the movie felt like fan fiction.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

precision posted:

Right, because time doesn't pass. I fully expect Ted to call someone a "fag" in Bill and Ted 3 if it ever gets made, because he did in the first two!

the lines are this:

R2D2: beep boop beep blurp

C-3P0: How dare you call me that?

end scene

if you think one genderless droid beeping something offensive at another genderless droid is the equivalent of yelling "FAG" then something is wrong with you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boyega is a lead not supporting. Also Ridley is a woman not a girl.

Yes it's a huge risk. Lucasfilm should be applauded.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Calling a female protagonist risky is pretty embarrassing, idk on who's part.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

temple posted:

Calling a female protagonist being risky is pretty embarrassing, idk on who's part.

Well more specifically an unknown female lead. It's a huge risk.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's not very risky in this particular context.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

am0kgonzo posted:

Picking it up quickly wouldn't be a problem, picking it up instantly and out of nowhere is.
Why? Do you need 4000xp before you can unlock the first tier of force options?

What Luke does with the training ball in ANH is beyond fantastical, and that's after being told to clear his mind, which is what Rey does. Why is Rey grabbing a lightsabre from the ground any more impressive or unbelievable?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Madurai posted:

You could say that sure, it doesn't negate that the Force is It’s an energy field created by all living things. There was no judgement about who you were. This was something that we could all access. Being strong with the force didn’t mean something scientific, it meant something spiritual. It meant someone who could believe, someone who could reach down to the depths of your feelings and follow this primal energy that was flowing through all of us.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Steve2911 posted:

When he does the saber grab in ESB the only training he has is Obi-wan giving him the visor and tell him to use the force. Obi wan does a mind trick in front of him as well, but no where does Obiwan say "here is the powers the force gives." Luke has no idea ahead of time that he can use the force for telekinesis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

porfiria posted:

It's not very risky in this particular context.

You say in hindsight already knowing it worked.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

am0kgonzo posted:

Alot of the movie felt like fan fiction.

On the contrary, I felt that it broke a lot of people's existing fan fiction, for the better, and thus made them mad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if you think one genderless droid beeping something offensive at another genderless droid is the equivalent of yelling "FAG" then something is wrong with you.

If you think that's what I said then something is wrong with your reading comprehension.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

When he does the saber grab in ESB the only training he has is Obi-wan giving him the visor and tell him to use the force. Obi wan does a mind trick in front of him as well, but no where does Obiwan say "here is the powers the force gives." Luke has no idea ahead of time that he can use the force for telekinesis.

Yep. The difference is that Rey's heard legends of what Jedi can do, whereas Luke was ignorant as gently caress.

If you're attuned to the force you can basically do whatever you want with it, as shown by Yoda lifting the X Wing. It's the same to him as lifting a tennis ball.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Literally he is a janitor

There are jokes about him being a janitor

No he isn't. He was, back when he was stationed on Starkiller. Which could be any time during his entire life, as he was kidnapped at birth.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

precision posted:

If you think that's what I said then something is wrong with your reading comprehension.

You said you didn't like the implication that R2 called 3PO a nonce.

I said you may be confused because that happens a lot in Star Wars.

You said Bill wouldn't call Ted a fag if they made a Bill and Ted sequel.

It was a 3 post conversation, what am I missing here?

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It was a 3 post conversation, what am I missing here?

Nothing except maybe the sound of backtracking.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

the trump tutelage posted:

Everyone I've spoken to who dislikes the movie dislikes it on the grounds that it isn't novel enough or is too much of a re-tread of ANH, which doesn't seem like a very valid criticism. Novelty alone doesn't make or break a film. I guess the meme is "Star Wars fans hate Star Wars" but I'm thinking it would be more accurately phrased as "Star Wars fans don't understand why they like the OT".

Yeah, I don't think it makes the whole movie bad that they re-used the "let's go take down a shield so the ships can blow the thing up" format, which is the main criticism I've seen.

What's funny is that the X-Wing approach at the end, flying in low across the water, is like a direct homage to The Dam Busters rather than being an homage by way of reusing something from ANH.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Double post

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I'd agree that like 30% more poo poo happened in TFA than in the original films, largely due to J J Abrams' Patented Breathless Filming Style, and if you were tracking to OT plot arc/progress, they got about to where Luke lands on Dagobah. They even had their fight on an ice planet. And you thought Han smelled bad... on the outside!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zen death robot posted:

Starkiller Base did a good job of establishing the First Order as a grave threat to the galaxy without getting into 2 movies filled with space politics.

I think it would have been fine to establish them as a grave threat to the protagonists first though. Then in the next movie you can show them as a grave threat to the Galaxy at large.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We already know the empire is a grave threat and evil.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

You say in hindsight already knowing it worked.

It's always been a genuine competitor to Avatar. Yeah international audiences hate black people and maybe women, but that doesn't matter so much when we're talking about a massive effects driven nostalgia fest with a huge marketing budget. The name Star Wars is all you need. I'm not even sure what risk could look like in this context--maybe if they made Last Year at Tatioonebad?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

euphronius posted:

Boyega is a lead not supporting. Also Ridley is a woman not a girl.

Yes it's a huge risk. Lucasfilm should be applauded.

She is 23, she might rate woman by episode 9. Same for Boyega, same for the characters they play who have talent but are painfully wet behind the ears. Boyega feels like Black Widow to her Captain America. Important, but not co-equal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The risk is a movie that makes only 1 billion and tanks enthusiasm for the next 4 + movies.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cyclomatic posted:

She is 23, she might rate woman by episode 9. Same for Boyega, same for the characters they play who have talent but are painfully wet behind the ears. Boyega feels like Black Widow to her Captain America. Important, but not co-equal.

There exists a thing called a "protagonist" and another thing called a "supporting character" in both theater and film

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finn is a major character because if he didn't save Poe then he wouldn't have been there to help Rey.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

The risk is a movie that makes only 1 billion and tanks enthusiasm for the next 4 + movies.

I can't emphasize enough how hard they'd have had to try for it to only make 1 bill.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Danger posted:

Exactly, which is why the pre-quels will always own. Lucas gave the fans exactly what they had been clamoring for with midicloridians in all their vulgar positivism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsaKaRGjnxE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd say Finn's more important than the title 'supporting character' implies at this point. Not the protagonist, but still one of the main characters. Rey, Finn and Kylo are this trilogy's Luke, Han and Leia (except one of them is a bad man). It'll be Rey, Finn and Poe by the end though, most likely. Unless they're able to convince Sasuke to leave Akatsuke.

Finn's basically the most entertaining character in the movie from both a plot, acting, dialogue and comedic standpoint.

Poe, Han, Maz etc were supporting characters.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 23, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

porfiria posted:

I can't emphasize enough how hard they'd have had to try for it to only make 1 bill.

Even Adjusting for inflation it will only be the second SW movie to do so.

(Talking domestic here to be clear)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

Even Adjusting for inflation it will only be the second SW movie to do so.

(Talking domestic here to be clear)

3D baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I paid at least £3 extra for 3D (only way to see it in IMAX) and the only time I noticed was in the occasional space scene.

Which is a hell of a lot better than any other 3D movie ever.

• Locked thread