Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Well then what would have been threatening because I dunno beyond that how they could have made him more threatening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think my favorite thing in the film is Ren and Rey both being big goony Star Wars fans, but while Ren can never completely let go of his knockoff Sith helmet and saber, Rey abandons her Original Edition X-Wing Pilot Helmet and Rebel Pilot doll and moves out of the dead horse AT-AT and starts to grow up. She's not quite there yet, but she's on her way.

The First Order guys are the weirdos who still cosplay as Imperials and Stormtroopers even after dedicating decades of their lives trying to explain how much the Republic/prequels/Return of the Jedi sucks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

Well then what would have been threatening because I dunno beyond that how they could have made him more threatening.

MisterBibs is some kind of sociopath who would not feel threatened unless someone was actively punching him in the face. I already spent way too many posts trying to communicate the fact that Kylo can be both pitiable and threatening all at once, to no avail.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

What makes you say so? It felt really rushed to me, but I put that down to the inclusion of the death star 3.0 plot in general andI thought the early pacing, editing, etc. were good or at least okay to the point that it didn't occur to me to notice them.

Two points that stuck out for me were

i) Poe's reintroduction, with him helping Finn on the ground (and Finn shouting his praises for him); this would have had more of an impact if he were revealed to both Finn and the audience at the same time (for me, at least)
ii) Captain Phasma getting dumped without any fanfare halfway through, if only to shove in a verbal reference to a scene from ANH, and as a reference to Boba Fett aka mystery cool guy who gets dunked on before getting to do anything

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The reason Han's death scene actually works is that it plays on the ambiguity between the fake, seductive light and the authentic light. Is Han genuinely trying to help his son, or just pacify him?

The issue with the film is that Han does not consider the third option: he can join his son and reject the false light of the Resistance.

Only problem here is Han is not given a third option. The movie makes it very clear that Snoke wants Kylo/Ben to kill his father to prove that Kylo has what it takes to be a big bad sith guy. Kylo never makes an offer to Han to have Han join the cause of the first order or to reject the resistance, Kylo just kills him. Han, prior to getting stabbed is clearly trying to do both. Help his son and pacify him so, you know, billions of people on other planets don't get killed like the poor suckers of the Hosnian system.

You can look at this from another perspective. The resistance isn't by default, good. They're warriors in a proxy war violating a peace treaty (for good reason). There's definitely a sense of thought in this new movie in which the cycle of violence continues simply because no one wants to go down the middle path and throw away their arms. Seems like Luke's achievement in the throne room of ROTJ was localized only to him and not to the rest of the galaxy.

G-III fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 23, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDMH4dYp6Lg

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Surlaw posted:

I think my favorite thing in the film is Ren and Rey both being big goony Star Wars fans, but while Ren can never completely let go of his knockoff Sith helmet and saber, Rey abandons her Original Edition X-Wing Pilot Helmet and Rebel Pilot doll and moves out of the dead horse AT-AT and starts to grow up. She's not quite there yet, but she's on her way.

This is why I think I'll come to love this movie, because it's a Star Wars movie that's about our relationship with Star Wars. It's about fandom and nostalgia and disillusionment and rediscovering what brought you joy as a kid. Given that, Abrams' choice to follow closely the plot of A New Hope makes sense. It's about Star Wars fans getting to live their Star Wars dreams, and what that means to them, to their heroes, and to the franchise.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't agree, but I can see your perspective. Of course he's pathetic compared to Vader. He needs to be for his character to make any sense. But why is it important that he's a threat?

He's clearly out of control, powerful and destructive. At least two main characters are invested in his future, regardless of whether he accomplishes his goals in this film. Han and Leia clearly don't consider him a threat as much as they're just sad about the whole thing.

This is funny to me, because Kylo Ren is less pathetic than Vader. Vader was a slave who watched his mother die a violent death, murdered his wife and got horribly mangled. Kylo might feel pathetic compared to Vader but Vader was genuinely miserable unlike emo kid Kylo. You're buying into the same image of Vader as this ideal strongman that Kylo apparently does.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 23, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Have him lead the attack in the beginning, pull the BB8 data from Poe's brain on the planet, remove his hissy fits, remove the scene where he's whining to Valders mask, not be force-clowned by someone untrained, kill someone in ightsaber combat when his opponents are untrained.

It'd be a start, at least.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phylodox posted:

This is why I think I'll come to love this movie, because it's a Star Wars movie that's about our relationship with Star Wars. It's about fandom and nostalgia and disillusionment and rediscovering what brought you joy as a kid. Given that, Abrams' choice to follow closely the plot of A New Hope makes sense. It's about Star Wars fans getting to live their Star Wars dreams, and what that means to them, to their heroes, and to the franchise.

Yes, I just hope he doesn't fall into making Star Wars movies that are only about Star Wars. Star Wars has always had broad themes that appeal to a variety of people for a variety of reasons. I was worried about this going in, but the new characters won me over. Fortunately for Abrams Star Wars is already structured for repetition and recapitulation. It's suited to his whole directorial... oooovra.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Have him lead the attack in the beginning, pull the BB8 data from Poe's brain on the planet, remove his hissy fits, remove the scene where he's whining to Valders mask, not be force-clowned by someone untrained, kill someone in ightsaber combat when his opponents are untrained.

So basically take out all the parts that made the character interesting and something more than 'scary masked man'?

Yeah ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Kylo Ren would be a scary character if you removed everything remotely engaging about the character."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You want Kylo Ren to be the guy that Kylo Ren wants to be, and neither you nor he knows why that's impossible.

Surlaw posted:

dead horse AT-AT

This is good. I like this, because of how good it is.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

So basically take out all the parts that made the character interesting and something more than 'scary masked man'?

Yeah ok.

You could add a scene where he calls Rey from inside her AT-AT.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah ok.

ImpAtom posted:

"Kylo Ren would be a scary character if you removed everything remotely engaging about the character."

Things that prevent the movie's core Bad Guy from being anything approaching dangerous are not interesting or engaging.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, I just hope he doesn't fall into making Star Wars movies that are only about Star Wars. Star Wars has always had broad themes that appeal to a variety of people for a variety of reasons. I was worried about this going in, but the new characters won me over. Fortunately for Abrams Star Wars is already structured for repetition and recapitulation. It's suited to his whole directorial... oooovra.

Well, luckily for you Abrams is done writing/directing Star Wars. The next two movies are going to be written and directed by different people with no doubt different ideas and themes they want to bring to the series.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

You understand though that the beginning of the film is the beginning of Star Wars and if they did that then he would literally just be a clone of Darth Vader. He has to have those characterizations because he has not fully yet embraced the Dark Side. He's not suffered at all and he hasn't fully embraced the Dark Side. On the other hand Vader has fully embraced the Dark Side.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Things that prevent the movie's core Bad Guy from being anything approaching dangerous are not interesting or engaging.

Let's take a moment to remind everyone that MisterBibs does not think a toddler with a loaded gun is dangerous. He would not know a threat until it literally shot him.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

You seem to be upset that this movie's villain fails to live up to your mental image of Darth Vader. Perhaps it's because you didn't grow up with it? :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

So if Darth Vader didn't give a gently caress about Luke and concentrated all of his focus on the rebellion (as he should have), he'd have been a better character? And if Palpatine hadn't arrogantly assumed that both Luke and Vader would do exactly as he predicted (leaving himself blind to what would kill him) he'd have been more interesting?

This is stupid. You're stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, Empire Strikes back would have been better if it ended with Darth Vader murdering Luke Skywalker.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He has to have those characterizations because he has not fully yet embraced the Dark Side.

Then have him be the apprentice to an Actually Threatening Bad Guy who gets offed, whose death pushes him to be that Bad Guy.

I want a Sith Lord as my bad guy in Star Wars, not a wishy washy flunky.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

You do not appear to like Star Wars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Motto posted:

He might like the prequels. Darth Sidious had a big part in those.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Then have him be the apprentice to an Actually Threatening Bad Guy who gets offed, whose death pushes him to be that Bad Guy.

Didn't you see the giant monster in the chair?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MisterBibs posted:

It's almost like you have a singular lack of imagination

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't know if you saw Episode 6 but the Sith are dead and gone.

(Obi wan voice): I'm so sorry.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Vader is absolutely portrayed as his lacky. When Vader chokes a guy he releases him when Tarkin demands him do so. He mocks Vader's religion to his face. When Vader wants to let the Falcon go Tarkin only reluctantly allows him to do it and warns him he's taking a risk. Tarkin is always portrayed as the leader in the situation. It's a relationship intentionally mirrored by Hux and Ren in the new film.

The fact that Vader doesn't strangle Motti to death doesn't indicate that he's a flunky of Tarkin, Tarkin simply says that Vader is the only one left of the Jedi, and him warning Vader he's taking a risk is the same as someone trying to emphasize their neck is on the line if they let a friend borrow their wife's car or something. Tarkin is in command of the Death Star operation so I imagine Vader can't just do whatever he wants in the Death Star with zero consequences, but Tarkin still speaks to Vader more like a friend than a subordinate. If a friend of mine had his radio up really loudly and I said "Turn that down" and he did, does that mean that I am now his superior? And is expressing incredulity that anyone with Jedi training except Vader remains alive "mocking", really?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

I like Star Wars a whole bunch. All six movies are solid, even the new one. Sans its unthreatening bad guy, of course.

E: vvv Yup. The alternative is Kylo Ren, dangerous threat to computer terminals, empty torture racks, and the back of Resistance jackets.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 23, 2015

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not just that you don't find him threatening that's hilarious, it's that your proposed solution is to remove every single character beat and then proclaim that the non-character you've just created is somehow superior to one with even an iota of nuance

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Beeez posted:

The fact that Vader doesn't strangle Motti to death doesn't indicate that he's a flunky of Tarkin, Tarkin simply says that Vader is the only one left of the Jedi, and him warning Vader he's taking a risk is the same as someone trying to emphasize their neck is on the line if they let a friend borrow their wife's car or something. Tarkin is in command of the Death Star operation so I imagine Vader can't just do whatever he wants in the Death Star with zero consequences, but Tarkin still speaks to Vader more like a friend than a subordinate. If a friend of mine had his radio up really loudly and I said "Turn that down" and he did, does that mean that I am now his superior? And is expressing incredulity that anyone with Jedi training except Vader remains alive "mocking", really?

I corroborate this, because Tarkin actually did address him as "my friend."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Surlaw posted:

I don't know about that, by the end she's progressed to stalking celebrities where they've been hiding away from the public eye. She may be regressing.

quote:

dead horse AT-AT

This, however, as someone else mentioned, is good.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The First Order don't appear to be fascists. The predominant image is of a gigantic hand. That's why the beam splits up into five smaller beams: the fingers of a gigantic hand. The composition is identical to when Kylo interrogates Rey, with her human face menaced by his hand.

They have plenty of fascist imagery, and the inspiration for the political situation in the film seems to me to be the Nazi occupation of Poland. The new Republic is failing to protect its worlds from the fascist threat of the First Order in an attempt to avoid starting another war so soon after the last one, just as the League of Nations failed to protect Poland. It echoes the situation in The Phantom Menace as well, so it even ties into what you've said before about Star Wars being cyclical. And just as in Poland, the response is a resistance movement. People are missing this because the movie communicates it badly, but it's important to remember that Star Wars is WW2 in space, and all of those pieces are there. It's possible to subvert those expectations, but I don't think The Force Awakens does. For all the new Republic's efforts in avoiding the war, the First Order still bombs the capital.

And if you want to avoid a monarchy, you can do a lot better than restoring the Empire. Star Wars in WW2 in space, but I think Lucas recognized the similarities between the rise of Adolf Hitler and that of Julius Caesar. Both were populists who used the power of their respective senates to consolidate power and corrupt the office of the chancellor/dictator. Julius Caesar was assassinated by senators from the conservative opposition party, who feared that his consolidation of power was an attempt to restore the monarchy, and they were right, because it did. Palpatine escapes his assassination attempt due to his influence over space Brutus. You don't fight the restoration of the monarchy by bringing back the government of space Caesar. That's completely counter-intuitive.

I just don't think the historical connections established in the films supports that reading. Plus Leia's rejection of her royal title is emphasized more than her royalty.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Arglebargle III posted:

This is funny to me, because Kylo Ren is less pathetic than Vader. Vader was a slave who watched his mother die a violent death, murdered his wife and got horribly mangled. Kylo might feel pathetic compared to Vader but Vader was genuinely miserable unlike emo kid Kylo. You're buying into the same image of Vader as this ideal strongman that Kylo apparently does.

I guess. I don't really accept the prequels as defining Vader's character, at least when it comes to how he's perceived in the OT. He was a stand-in for Ming the Merciless who got a more interesting arc once people responded to his character design so strongly after ANH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how Mr. Bibs solution is Darth fuckin' Maul because that was such a great character.

Beeez posted:

Tarkin at no point shows deference to Vader. He, at best, treats him like someone he knows well. Vader on the other hand absolutely defers to Tarkin and has to get his permission to do things. Tarkin is absolutely his superior even if they have an implied long-term relationship. Again, Hux and Ren are pretty much Vader and Tarkin repeated.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 23, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

I like how Mr. Bibs solution is Darth fuckin' Maul because that was such a great character.

Reminder: A lot of people think Dark Maul is a great character, and that the prequels would have been amazing if he'd lived through them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can barely remember anything about Star Trek (2009), and I have a hunch I'll feel the same way about this movie in a few years. The prequel films were at least memorable, especially Episode 1.

This is an old post but literally all I remember from Ep 1 was that a pod race happened, a kid flew a star fighter, Jarjar, and even adolescent me was embarrassed to the point of apologizing to my parents for having them get opening weekend tickets. Woopty loving doo.

You know what I'll remember from this movie if nothing else? "That was a fun movie!"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Beside the lack of nuance, having Ren be an all-powerful leader of the dominant force in the galaxy would pretty much entirely negate the OT. The First Order is not the Empire, and the Sith are gone. The things that happened in 4,5, and 6 actually did change the galaxy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I just don't think the historical connections established in the films supports that reading. Plus Leia's rejection of her royal title is emphasized more than her royalty.

Three times her rejection of royalty was overlooked by Resistance members - once by Lor San Tekka, twice by C-3PO. The Resistance has more nonhumans in it than ever, but there's still a clear royalist streak among the opposition to the fascists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Reminder: A lot of people think Dark Maul is a great character, and that the prequels would have been amazing if he'd lived through them.

Nobody thinks Darth Maul is a great character. Every argument for 'the prequels would have been better' would be "hey, maybe Darth Maul would be characterized."

Edit: I am certain there are people who think Darth Maul is a great character because of his books or appearance in The Clone Wars TV show but that is kind of entirely different.

• Locked thread