Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it's making shitloads more because 3D is more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Ticket prices are actually on average cheaper now than they were when ANH came out.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

About Rey having been to badass and having nowhere to go:

Rey has a huge problem. Kylo Ren is going to Snoak to complete his training and become even more powerful.

Rey's teacher is Luke, who after having his new jedi order smashed and Ben falling to the darkside is going to be really doubtful and hesitant to take on a new student. And when he does hes responsible for the half assed training Ben went through so if you didn't think bens command of the force before was all that great that he lost to Rey, you think his teaching Rey will make her more or less stronger?

Luke leaves Degobah with only half his training and gets his rear end handed to him. Ben leaves Luke with half his training and gets his rear end handed to him. Rey is probably willing to learn but Lukes going to probably send her off with poo poo training and theres a pattern forming here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't care if you don't agree. It was a huge gamble by Lucasfilm to make the movie's leads an unknown woman and an unknown black man.

They obv hedged this risk in other ways.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

euphronius posted:

I don't care if you don't agree. It was a huge gamble by Lucasfilm to make the movie's leads an unknown woman and an unknown black man.

I thought it was a great risk as well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

euphronius posted:

To be honest, having megastars as major characters in Star Wars would just be weird and distracting. Ewan McGregor was fine because he fit the role really well, but Samuel L Jackson and Liam Neeson stand out massively in that universe because of how famous they were before Star Wars.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

euphronius posted:

They actually had no other option, really. Star Wars has never used bankable stars as leads, and they would have been pilloried if they continued the White Man Parade in this political climate. I wouldn't call it a brave choice, but the natural one.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

euphronius posted:

It's a mild risk for the overseas markets I suppose. On the other hand it's probably the reason it got an A+ Cinemascore from women. It's certainly a sign of the times. "Now EVERYONE, including blacks, can participate in nostalgia fueled by the numbers mediocrities!" (I say this as someone who mostly liked TFA).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It was definitely a risk considering we're having this discussion at all. There's no need to wallpaper over it but we should acknowledge it and then move on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

porfiria posted:

Yeah international audiences hate black people and maybe women

Seriously. Check out any Daily Mail comment section. And some of Facebook.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You keep skipping over it but equally important to female and black lead is the UNKNOWN part.

Hollywood does not have much of an issue with known female and black leads recently.

If only they had kissed. Sigh.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Seriouspost: are there people out there confused and stupid enough to think this is a remake of ANH and be angry that they recast Luke as a woman?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Let me tell you a little something about MRA

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/20/star-wars-force-awakens-really-shock-racist-trolls

Yes, people were genuinely pissed off at a black and female lead.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hollismason posted:

Finn is a major character because if he didn't save Poe then he wouldn't have been there to help Rey.

I thought he was just the comic relief. the Jar Jar of this film.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Even just look here with people calling Rey a mary sue, that Finn was lovely, and then also loving Poe (who is that cool smart mouth guy with the best piloting skills shown in a movie).

Disney was clearly going to play it safe with a lot of poo poo in the movie, and if you think otherwise you don't really understand business or how much people realized the PT sucked. So seeing them take risks with casting and twist a lot of the nostalgia bits to be different was really nice.

Niethan: I'm decently certain that when I see people who disliked the movie with nothing more than incredibly vague/general criticism the casting is a root cause, even if they don't realize it. That or they are too foggy on what actually happened in the other movies to realize what is the same/different about the new characters/events.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pt is really hard to compare because they were made outside of the Hollywood studio environment. I don't think Kennedy et al drew much insight pro or con from them. Totally different ecosystems. They probably used them as a "floor" for predictions as Lucas was not trying to make studio saving blockbusters with the pt and yet they were still huge financial successes. JJ obviously knew the pt very in depth tho.

What did Lucas say last week? " this was a movie that Star Wars fans wanted to see"?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

If only they had kissed. Sigh.

It will be less gross when it's revealed their brother and sister.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

Even just look here with people calling Rey a mary sue, that Finn was lovely, and then also loving Poe (who is that cool smart mouth guy with the best piloting skills shown in a movie).

I don't know what a mary sue is, I'm assuming it's sexist so if someone said that yeah sure. But why is it bad (are you saying it's automatically racist?) to think Finn was lovely goofball jarjar in this movie?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interesting that Anakin appears as a force spirit to Luke but not to Ren.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know what a mary sue is, I'm assuming it's sexist so if someone said that yeah sure. But why is it bad (are you saying it's automatically racist?) to think Finn was lovely goofball jarjar in this movie?

Why was he the comic relief? I'm really confused by what you're saying because there was no comic relief vibe from him at all compared to say Chewie or Poe's line when he meets Kylo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hemale in pain posted:

Why was he the comic relief? I'm really confused by what you're saying because there was no comic relief vibe from him at all compared to say Chewie or Poe's line when he meets Kylo.

He had funny lines sometimes. :shrug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Because your pigeonholing - wrongly and inaccurately - the black male lead to a traditional narrow movie role that until recently was about the best Hollywood role a black man could get on a major movie because of Studio discrimination.

In fact you incorrectly relate him with jar jar who was Lucas's infamous critique of the same thing.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 23, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

euphronius posted:

In fact you incorrectly relate him with jar jar who was Lucas's infamous critique of the same thing.

I think you typed "critique" where you meant to type "perpetuation"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

spacetoaster posted:

If you think Finn was "lovely goofball Jar Jar" I feel like you're saying "I don't like that there was a black man who had emotional states other than "dour" or "Lando" in Star Wars." Finn had a full emotional range even if, yes, he was obviously pretty happy at times.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

spacetoaster posted:

In real generic terms (which I'm sure someone is going to correct on me haha) a mary sue tends to be a female (often self insert) character who is basically the special snowflake and is super awesome at everything. The sexist angle is basically because realistically the only difference between Rey and several other characters is that she is a she and not a he.

I'm not saying it is racist to dislike Finn, but if the only reason someone can put out that they didn't like Finn was that he was a jarjar then kinda yea. His character makes cohesive sense, and is sort of the guy who decides to do the right thing. He is a little goofy, which felt to me like he doesn't really know how to act around not stormtroopers. Jarjar was a walking racist stereotype that was like a looney toons insert.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If the prequels were made today there would probably be boycotts and protests over Jar Jar Binks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Blackchamber posted:

About Rey having been to badass and having nowhere to go:

Rey has a huge problem. Kylo Ren is going to Snoak to complete his training and become even more powerful.
What is Kylo's midichlorian count?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think you typed "critique" where you meant to type "perpetuation"

No euphronius is correct. Jar Jar was meant to be a send up of the minstrel character, IMO

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Steve2911 posted:

He got a few pointers at best. Even Yoda only taught him for a few days.

No one knows how long the flight from the Anoat system to Bespin was without a hyperdrive.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

aBagorn posted:

No euphronius is correct. Jar Jar was meant to be a send up of the minstrel character, IMO

What on earth is your justification for that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

One of his functions is to show how loving racist and horrid the Jedi and republic (and the audience) are. Since you know there aren't "black people" in Star Wars, GL had to get to that point through even more explicitly. See also the treatment of droids and aliens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Sorry for more prequel talk but Stuff like JarJar, and Midochlorians are weird. Because I can't help but feel like Lucas was like right on the edge of making those movies really good commentary on a number of things. But then for whatever reason it just never tipped over and hit those points hard enough.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

He literally talks like the Black people in minstrel shows and movies would talk.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dexo posted:

He literally talks like the Black people in minstrel shows and movies would talk.

And is treated with contempt by both the audience and the other characters

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just wanna say that John Boyega's American accent in this movie is really good.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

euphronius posted:

Interesting that Anakin appears as a force spirit to Luke but not to Ren.

Something of slight interest regarding that:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/the-force-ghost-of-anakin-skywalker-was-proposed-to-be-in-the-force-awakens/

MSW seemed to go off on a tangent by putting a lot of faith in something McCaig was just spitballing for JJ and company to give them ideas, but what they do propose would be interesting. Kylo sees a Force Ghost of Vader, while Luke possibly sees a Force ghost of Anakin. Would be an interesting contrast, to possibly have Christensen interacting with Luke, but have a Jones voiced Vader speaking to Kylo Ren. You could either play that up as a real dual-nature thing Anakin is going through, or just have the Vader side be some fake Snoke thing.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

He was nothing but funny stuff. Falling down (constantly), having the lead slap his hand away and yell at him, drinking gross pig water, having gross pig knock him down some more, being the janitor joke, saying he's saving poe because it's the right thing to do but it's really because he just needs a pilot (lol), etc, etc, on and on.

Why is it so bad that he's the guy that should have a laugh track?

Nessus posted:

If you think Finn was "lovely goofball Jar Jar" I feel like you're saying "I don't like that there was a black man who had emotional states other than "dour" or "Lando" in Star Wars." Finn had a full emotional range even if, yes, he was obviously pretty happy at times.

I feel that you're manufacturing reasons to call people racist because they think wrongly about some made up movie character.

euphronius posted:

Because your pigeonholing - wrongly and inaccurately - the black male lead to a traditional narrow movie role that until recently was about the best Hollywood role a black man could get on a major movie because of Studio discrimination.

You're the only one talking about his race. I could care less.

I don't know that much about jarjar. I was a kid when that movie came out so I don't know anything about him other than he was always in funny situations.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 23, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

davecrazy posted:

No one knows how long the flight from the Anoat system to Bespin was without a hyperdrive.

how long is it with a hyperdrive

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

oddium posted:

how long is it with a hyperdrive

What do I look like, some EU sperg nerd?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

He was nothing but funny stuff. Falling down (constantly), having the lead slap his hand away and yell at him, drinking gross pig water, having gross pig knock him down some more, being the janitor joke, saying he's saving poe because it's the right thing to do but it's really because he just needs a pilot (lol), etc, etc, on and on.

Why is it so bad that he's the guy that should have a laugh track?

I feel that you're manufacturing reasons to call people racist because they think wrongly about some made up movie character.

He also has a bunch of moments in the movie where he struggles with doing the thing he's been trained to do his whole life, feels anger and loss at potentially losing perhaps the only friend he's ever had in his entire life, reluctance to continue on with his new friends after the shame of lying about who he was, and the courage to stand toe to toe with a really bad dude. This along with a lot of other feelings of adventure and joy.

If you think these are aspects of comic relief characters and not, you know, MAIN characters then you're really bad at watching movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Was the move the Falcon pulled leaving hyperspace right by Starkiller Base's surface possible according to the rules, mostly in the EU, about not being able to enter hyperspace by a planet due to the mass shadows they project in hyperspace?

In the EU, the Empire had a ship called an Interdictor which is like a small Star Destroyer with gravity well generators that can both force ships out of hyperspace and prevent them from entering it, and one was introduced in a recent episode of Star Wars: Rebels so now they are canon I guess?

• Locked thread