Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

Hey support.

With the recent layoffs we have a dozen spare workstations. Can you set them up as a rendering cluster for 3d studio max? Thanks.

Autodesk has Backburner with 3D studio, which makes doing this actually really easy. It would still probably take a day if you had to read up on everything first, but it's actually not a crazy custom solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Last time I dicked around in Max and realised I don't have a single creative fiber in my body I recall you just installed a client on each machine you wanted to use as a rendering target and Max would automatically portion the job out to the machines. :shrug:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Isn't back burner Windows only? I remember doing a 3D rendering gig and switched over to Max from Rhino while using a small render farm, but the farm machines were running linux and the closest thing you could get running would only process mental ray rendering.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

Hey support.

With the recent layoffs we have a dozen spare workstations. Can you set them up as a rendering cluster for 3d studio max? Thanks.

This could be a fun project that could save a lot of time rendering. Just install the backburner manager on the designer's computer and make a gpo to push 3ds max and backburner server to all the domain computers. Then set it to start as a service. Depending on the size of the files you are working on you will want a NAS for the bulk data.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

The biggest question I have about the request is are they actual graphics workstations or just normal e-mail/web browsing stations. If it's the later I am sure they're just dual core pieces of crap not worth the time to cluster.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

lampey posted:

This could be a fun project that could save a lot of time rendering. Just install the backburner manager on the designer's computer and make a gpo to push 3ds max and backburner server to all the domain computers. Then set it to start as a service. Depending on the size of the files you are working on you will want a NAS for the bulk data.

What are the licensing requirements for something like that? Do you need a license for each rendering node?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...7FD2FC-htm.html

quote:

3ds Max has been installed on all machines to use as rendering servers. Note: You needn't license 3ds Max on machines to be used only as rendering servers.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

frogbert posted:

What are the licensing requirements for something like that? Do you need a license for each rendering node?

Maya's trial version would play nice when put in a cluster with full versions of the software, except it would slap a big fat TRIAL watermark across the frame it rendered. Many people found this out when they queued up their final project for rendering overnight.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

A ticket just came in:
Subject: Additional accounts needed
Description: Joe said so

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Virigoth posted:

A ticket just came in:
Subject: Additional accounts needed
Description: Joe said so

THE Joe?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Collateral Damage posted:

The proper resolution to that would be to bin the mouse and give them a USB mouse instead.

Ended up doing this in fact, because gently caress PS/2 forever.

The mouse they were using had a rollerball, something I haven't seen in almost as long in common use as CRT monitors.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Siochain posted:

Yep, seems to be. Our knowledge base is hosted on it, and just can't be accessed. Our ticketing system with them is...working mostly kind of but really slowly? Its fun.

The incident summaries are up for both the recent outages now (finally):

https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/215135178-Service-Incident-December-17th-2015
https://support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/215257898-Service-Incident-December-23rd-2015

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Yeah THAT Joe

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I mean, I've heard stories--poo poo, we all have--but wow... What's he like?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Ahh Christmas Eve, a nice quiet time to sit ba-

203 network alerts, T1 circuit taking errors, AT&T dispatching a tech
Hard drive fails on a VM server, needs to be replaced before the long weekend
2 new user accounts needed for the 28th
New postage machine delivered, trucking company needs to be babysat as they haul it in

For fucks sake this isn't how I want to spend my half day

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

This is like Ricky's "Jim trick" from Trailer Park Boys.

https://youtu.be/kPdwDoLYp3Q

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

New postage machine delivered, trucking company needs to be babysat as they haul it in

And a partridge in a pear tree?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

President Ark posted:

And a partridge in a pear tree?

And a SAN upgrade for me

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Fiiiive token riiiings

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If we're re-writing that song then "two settings apps" can go in there for Windows 10.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

stubblyhead posted:

Fiiiive token riiiings

Four port switch
Three broken mice
Two failed drives
And some Wild Turkey under the treeeeee

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stubblyhead posted:

Fiiiive token riiiings

Thanks Ants posted:

If we're re-writing that song then "two settings apps" can go in there for Windows 10.

Three apps calling home.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Six tickets escalating

stubblyhead posted:

Fiiiive token riiiings

Ozz81 posted:

Four port switch
Three broken mice
Two failed drives

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Seven helpdesk calls

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
7 Larches Leaving? :yotj:

e;fb

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
8 printers a-prinERR 49.4c02

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm going to skip ahead to 12 Buffaloes failing.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

hihifellow posted:

8 printers a-prinERR 49.4c02

I love you

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

Four port switch
Three broken mice
Two failed drives

Good job staying in meter. :hfive:

e: the printer thing is gold too, gj.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
MERRY CHRISTMAS OPERATIONS. We loving broke your backups again.

So, I work at an unnamed university's medical institution. For the past 2 months, one of our server backup's hardware has been malfunctioning. The tape slot has been plain refusing to open without a reboot every Friday or Saturday night. And of course, without proper authorization this piece of poo poo can't be rebooted (it's used to back up literally the same thing every night, because the server portion it's backing up is out of production... and has been for 4 years...) So tonight, we went to grab the backup tape and it had jammed again, without surprise IT IS SATURDAY MORNING! So I submitted a ticket over to the department who's responsible for caring (and they hate this drat thing too) wrote in the ticket...

Subject: You'll never guess.

Body: WHAT GODZILLA DID CHRISTMAS MORNING!

Hopefully, someone over in that department will at least be able to laugh at this bull poo poo this time.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ahh Christmas Eve, a nice quiet time to sit ba-

For fucks sake this isn't how I want to spend my half day

Oh, I got yelled at tonight by someone who's *medical program*'account wasn't created when she submitted the request to have it created 72 hours ago and she won't have it for at LEAST another 2 weeks.

Wait a second, you want access to medical records? And you expect the account to take less than 72 hours to go through the approval chain to have this created? Furthermore, you expect this to be done while 99% of those people in the approval process are gone for what? The next two weeks? Cool, I'll consider myself informed and make sure to let our Data Security team know they're too slow in their effort to confirm you're allowed to have direct access to hundreds of thousands of people's medical information.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 25, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
On the last day of Techsmas with Larches old CE, there were...

Twelve employees suffering
Eleven broken routers
Ten backups dying
Nine fires blazing
Eight mistyped names
Seven bulbs a-breaking
Six tons of garbage
Fiiivvee to-ken riiiinnggsss
Four port switch
Three broken mice
Two melted towers

:yotj: :cheers:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 25, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

Two melted towers

but jet fuel

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

On the last day of Techsmas with Larches old CE, there were...

Twelve employees suffering
Eleven broken routers
Ten backups dying
Nine fires blazing
Eight mistyped names
Seven bulbs a-breaking
Six tons of garbage
Fiiivvee to-ken riiiinnggsss
Four port switch
Three broken mice
Two melted towers

:yotj: :cheers:

Bad song. No Buffalos a-failing

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A call came in. "You need to fix the internet right now because it's Christmas and I am hanging up now *click*". Holly poo poo, it's Christmas, I am at work and someone is having some sort of problem with something. Also, over half of the rest of the staff called in, 99% of the people are relaxed and chill but still plenty of crazies calling in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Steam is now cycling through random accounts when you try to log into the store. Nobody has turned the server off yet and it's been an hour. People can see PII and everything.

:frogsiren: THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION :frogsiren:

Pour one out for the homies on call at Valve.

mewse
May 2, 2006

PII?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Personally identifiable information

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Can't let anyone know about my secret pentium 2 collection

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

flosofl posted:

Bad song. No Buffalos a-failing

That's none of your concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Segmentation Fault posted:

Can't let anyone know about my secret pentium 2 collection

Pretty sure you can do hard time for that.

Hard time.

• Locked thread