Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's bullshit to say "the military ruined my body so that's why I'm fat!" No, Larry, you're fat because your ruined body keeps you from exercising and you eat too many calories. Eat less and you won't be fat.

Chronic pain is a bitch, id give him a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

That Works posted:

Chronic pain is a bitch, id give him a pass

the man was in delta for 15 years, pretty sure he rates being fat. and a loving scrub like scratch monkey should pipe down about it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dude's a shithead (he bans Muslims from his classes and likes to act like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman when teaching because he thinks it's more effective), but he definitely knows his poo poo. And anyone with more than a high school level of knowledge about nutrition and obesity knows that being overweight is far more complicated than "Eat less, fatty".

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

chitoryu12 posted:

Dude's a shithead (he bans Muslims from his classes and likes to act like Gunnery Sergeant Hartman when teaching because he thinks it's more effective), but he definitely knows his poo poo. And anyone with more than a high school level of knowledge about nutrition and obesity knows that being overweight is far more complicated than "Eat less, fatty".

Yeah there's also, "and exercise more" because thats how physics works

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Calories in equal to calories out! Wait, what do you mean you're not losing weight? That can't be true."

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

chitoryu12 posted:

"Calories in equal to calories out! Wait, what do you mean you're not losing weight? That can't be true."

Let's put a bullet point in this before you manage to completely cock up the cool military poo poo thread with some retarded fat acceptance argument.

You physically cannot gain fat if you eat an equal or lesser amount of calories than you expend through your body's basal metabolic rate combined with the caloric deficit and metabolic increases elicited through daily activities. Things like neurochemical conditioning and rewiring of the brain's pleasure centers towards simple sugars, low glycemic index carbohydrates, and certain types of incredibly unhealthy fats do come into play. Habits, appetite, satiation, etc all have their parts to play as do other factors like disorders that play on the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis and affect almost everything in your body.

But. BUT.

Those are mitigating factors, not loving excuses. If you want to lose weight, you'll lose it. If it's too inconvenient or you don't actually care that much and you would rather have another slice of cheesecake, you'll keep packing the pounds on.

Until you're dissatisfied with your current lot in life, stop telling yourself convenient lies, and manage to actually find and get a firm grasp on your balls, you'll stay fat.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
all I know is my dad is a fat, old gently caress, but he was winning 10k's and running marathons in his 40's/powerlifting while working at a chemical plant and building race cars, so gently caress it dude drinks beer and eats steak now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
cheeseburgers will kill more americans in a day that ISIS will ever but i dont see us spending 3 trillion bombing mickey d's over it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

go3 posted:

cheeseburgers will kill more americans in a day that ISIS will ever but i dont see us spending 3 trillion bombing mickey d's over it

we spent 3 trillion at mcdonalds and then bombed the toilet

e: :911:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Force de Fappe posted:

See that foxhole?

We dug that up with ~20 rounds prone. Hard packed gravel and rock sand.

It'll kill you stone dead on shorter ranges and mess you up bad a good way back. The loader's primary job is to keep looking back and shout "all clear" every few seconds and not the least bark for the gunner to hold fire if some dipshit's flawed life path aimlessly meanders into the triangle of death.

That just makes me shudder.

There is a vid posted here sometime earlier from of what happens when someone just happens to move directly into a RPG backblast during a firefight and the results weren't pretty. Now factoring in the Gustav which is throwing a much larger round from a much larger back exaust port... yeah...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Those are mitigating factors, not loving excuses. If you want to lose weight, you'll lose it. If it's too inconvenient or you don't actually care that much and you would rather have another slice of cheesecake, you'll keep packing the pounds on.

Until you're dissatisfied with your current lot in life, stop telling yourself convenient lies, and manage to actually find and get a firm grasp on your balls, you'll stay fat.

If a person has led an active lifestyle for a long time then gets injured it's pretty typical that they'll gain weight after that. Especially if they are trying to be active like the guy in the video discusses and even mentions his workout schedule changing due to a need for recovery time.

I wouldn't say that's a fat acceptance argument, just that I have a lot more sympathy the guy that came upon the condition after years of hard work then being injured after that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People who are really active tend to eat a massive amount of calories so it's a pretty big habit change to make if you suddenly can't work out as hard anymore.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VweXmTz6Bts

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

From related videos, and since we were talking about backblast earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbgYPVChAsA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's the video mentioned earlier of the backblast. I think this was actually earlier than the Arab Spring and Syrian Civil War:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouScnB-F-6k

You can see parts of him flying into the air.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

buttcoinbrony posted:

From related videos, and since we were talking about backblast earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbgYPVChAsA

i love how the uploader claims the dude is dead even though theres no evidence of that

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the video mentioned earlier of the backblast. I think this was actually earlier than the Arab Spring and Syrian Civil War:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouScnB-F-6k

You can see parts of him flying into the air.

That's one hell of a way to get a haircut :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

1:00, first impact, rear pickup.

:stare:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duzzy Funlop posted:

1:00, first impact, rear pickup.

:stare:

Bye Felicia.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTI8TnwlhM

THANKS, DAD <:mad:>

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Dad givin no fucks :smug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
if dad can afford an m107 and the rounds to fire through it, he can easily afford to replace that tail light

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
a cool Dad

meanwhile I'm in a running argument about buying an M1A with mine

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Wait, the Carl-G was introduced in 1948?! It's taken us over 50 years to realize "Hey, this thing is pretty great, maybe we should buy a lot more of them."

I just don't get how that works.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In related news, the Air Force just placed an order for C-47s because they'll be assembled in John McCain's district.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

pkells posted:

Wait, the Carl-G was introduced in 1948?! It's taken us over 50 years to realize "Hey, this thing is pretty great, maybe we should buy a lot more of them."

I imagine Afghanistan has a lot to do with that. Popping bunkers or caves at anything over 500 meters is pretty expensive since LAWs and AT4s can't hit em, and they can still shoot back with RPGs since their target is so much larger. Javelins and airstrikes are expensive as hell, whereas a Carl Gustav can pop a round right into a cave at like 1000 meters or whatever. The last time we had a fight like this over mountains and poo poo was, what, Korea? And there we had Shermans all over the goddamned place.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

pkells posted:

No kickbacks back in 48

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Thump! posted:

I imagine Afghanistan has a lot to do with that. Popping bunkers or caves at anything over 500 meters is pretty expensive since LAWs and AT4s can't hit em, and they can still shoot back with RPGs since their target is so much larger. Javelins and airstrikes are expensive as hell, whereas a Carl Gustav can pop a round right into a cave at like 1000 meters or whatever. The last time we had a fight like this over mountains and poo poo was, what, Korea? And there we had Shermans all over the goddamned place.

They didn't have Shermans all over the place. My grandfather always talked about making GBS threads on tankers because they cruised around on the roads and poo poo while he was walking rear end in a top hat deep in snow up some hill.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

They didn't have Shermans all over the place. My grandfather always talked about making GBS threads on tankers because they cruised around on the roads and poo poo while he was walking rear end in a top hat deep in snow up some hill.

Lots of reasons people didn't like tankers in Korea I think.

quote:

During the Apr battle the need for a second MG was felt, as angry little men climbed on the top of the tks and beat on the hatches with fists and rifle butts. One answer was to charge through a mud house, but this was NOT thought to be the real answer, as it increased the shortage of houses already made obvious by zealous gunners. It was thought further that it was better to stop people getting on in the first place. Therefore .30 BROWNINGS were obtained, rumour has it at high cost (in gin), and mounted on the comds cupola. This has a dual advantage in that it solved the problem of the angry little men, and also prevented crew comds from being garrotted by signallers, with their customary homicidal tendencies towards tk men. The fury of the R. Sigs knew NO bounds as their now harmless tight wire traps were time and again swept serenely aside by the advancing tanks. Personally I cherished NO animosity towards the Sigs and contented myself with merely immobilising 3/4 of Seouls tram car service by laying claim, vi et armis, to some 200 yds of overhead wire, which I took with me for some four blocks. Fortunately for me someone preceding me had touched the same wire and blown the fuze, or I might have got summary justice. It was hanging low anyway.

http://antipodeanarmour.blogspot.ca/p/centurion-tanks-in-korea-report-by-lt-j.html

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

this guy writes like a total rear end in a top hat

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

this guy writes like a total rear end in a top hat

He's a Brit from the 50's, its practically Middle English.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Seriously though, grandad really hated them.

He usually more or less said "We'd get an order to go on patrol, run into something. We're on a hill looking over a valley, and you'd see the tanks drive past. They'd get hit same we would, but now we're three ridges ahead of our lines and they go back asap. We hoof it. Guys get overrun"

It wasn't really a nice place for the tanks to fight, so I kinda sympathize with them, but I see where he was coming from. He did say that some tanks were good for a ride and they did save his rear end a few times, too. Old vets are hilarious when they bitch.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The military ruined my hearing, for drat sure.

One guy I know who fired thousands of rounds on two tours was almost stiffed by the VA because they claimed his hearing loss was due to a one-in-a-million genetic defect instead of being an artilleryman. He had to go on steroids (for ear muscles?) and get a hearing aid before they paid out.

e: I'm late to the Carl G chat, but that thing was a bitch to carry around for no real reason. Had one get set his helmet on fire though. He soaked his scrim with bug juice to keep the mosquitoes off. Fired it and it started smoking like crazy.

ee: anecdotal, but I heard that LAWs were retained for the same reason the Carl G was. They won't stop tanks in the Fulda gap anymore, but they'll make holes in Grape Huts and mud wall compounds.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 24, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Too late, I already mind raped you with the dark side.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The military ruined my hearing, for drat sure.

One guy I know who fired thousands of rounds on two tours was almost stiffed by the VA because they claimed his hearing loss was due to a one-in-a-million genetic defect instead of being an artilleryman. He had to go on steroids (for ear muscles?) and get a hearing aid before they paid out.

e: I'm late to the Carl G chat, but that thing was a bitch to carry around for no real reason. Had one get set his helmet on fire though. He soaked his scrim with bug juice to keep the mosquitoes off. Fired it and it started smoking like crazy.

ee: anecdotal, but I heard that LAWs were retained for the same reason the Carl G was. They won't stop tanks in the Fulda gap anymore, but they'll make holes in Grape Huts and mud wall compounds.

Law is also only five pounds so it's a lot easier to hump than an at4 whm you're only using it to blast holes in huts.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

Law is also only five pounds so it's a lot easier to hump than an at4 whm you're only using it to blast holes in huts.

also way more compact than that unwieldy piece of junk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Reverand maynard posted:

I didn't remember the weights of all the weapons, so I looked it up and holy poo poo. The LAW is 5.5 pounds, the Carl Gustav is 19 pounds unloaded, and the AT4 is loving 14.8 pounds. The CG is barely heavier and is at least reloadable.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't remember the weights of all the weapons, so I looked it up and holy poo poo. The LAW is 5.5 pounds, the Carl Gustav is 19 pounds unloaded, and the AT4 is loving 14.8 pounds. The CG is barely heavier and is at least reloadable.

That is the unloaded weight for the CG though. The rounds weigh a fair bit as well, you know. The AT4 weight includes launcher and round. Also the new CS versions for the AT4 and CG rounds can be fired indoors without killing the shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DekeThornton posted:

That is the unloaded weight for the CG though. The rounds weigh a fair bit as well, you know. The AT4 weight includes launcher and round. Also the new CS versions for the AT4 and CG rounds can be fired indoors without killing the shooter.

Apparently the CG rounds weigh from 6.6 to 8.8 pounds each (3 to 4 kg). So yeah, loaded CG is still an epic bitch and the AT4 is still also a bitch compared to a LAW.

Edit: That would mean you can carry something like 5 LAWs for the weight of one Carl Gustav loaded with a tandem HEAT round, or 3 for the weight of one unloaded launcher, but even two AT4s would weigh more than the loaded CG with the heaviest round I could find.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 25, 2015

• Locked thread