Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also probably a bad idea. You don't want to quit your job and then hang around as a consultant. It sounds like a toxic environment that is taking advantage of you (please do tier 2 work at tier 1 pay, and no you won't be promoted until you're qualified for tier 3 so we can continually underpay you). Just move on, if you already have offers it shouldn't take long to find something better.

There's no guarantee that he'd be working at the current site, and a sizeable pay bump might make it worth holding your nose for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This sucks.
I'm having a blast here. some of my colleagues are awesome. My boss is the smartest IT guy here ( He is the only tier 3 , is MCSA certified and he has won a sysadmin award). I'm learning so much from him. I have this weird thing where I try my best to impress him. It sucks that he has high standards. He's always been brutally honest with me regarding my employment here.
When management had their zero-tolerance policy against extern workers. He let me know that I would most likely get kicked out. He managed to have me stay here and is working to get me signed on permanently.
He agreed to let me use him as a reference for my next job if I was let go.
Could it be that he is wary of me? a fresh graduate.
I graduated from vocational college in july this year. I was an intern from january until june and after graduating, I got hired as an extern worker.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sefal posted:

This sucks.
I'm having a blast here. some of my colleagues are awesome. My boss is the smartest IT guy here ( He is the only tier 3 , is MCSA certified and he has won a sysadmin award). I'm learning so much from him. I have this weird thing where I try my best to impress him. It sucks that he has high standards. He's always been brutally honest with me regarding my employment here.
When management had their zero-tolerance policy against extern workers. He let me know that I would most likely get kicked out. He managed to have me stay here and is working to get me signed on permanently.
I graduated from vocational college in july this year. I was an intern from january until june and after graduating, I got hired as an extern worker.

It's also possible that he's a reasonably good guy, but knows that there's no way to get you hired right now.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

This sucks.

Sounds to me like he is covering for the company, and the company is the one loving you over.
If you leave because of this, and he is the good guy like you say he is, then he should understand and give you a good reference anyways.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sefal posted:

Talked to my boss about promoting me.
It's not happening. Even though he believes that I can make the jump to tier 2 and even acknowledges that I am performing better than my other tier 2 colleagues. He will only promote me if I get MCSA certified and he wants me to get a bit more work experience. He agrees that I would excel at tier 2.
I've still yet to pass 70-410. Time to get off my rear end and just do it. I will ask for this promotion the moment I pass 70-412

Ask your manager to foot the entire bill (training hours on the clock, testing, materials) for the certification. He's already getting you at a discount if he admits that you would be better than your coworkers. Feel free to split the hours or something in negotiation. "A bit more experience and a certification" is code for "you've been happy until now at your current pay rate, I bet you'll be happy for 6 more months while I currently benefit from your skills at a higher margin."

Get a recruiter, actively job hunt.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sefal posted:

My boss is the smartest IT guy here ( He is the only tier 3 , is MCSA certified and he has won a sysadmin award).

What the hell is a sysadmin award and did the company make it up and print it out for him in Publisher?

Serious answer, your boss is looking out for himself and the company. If a good employee leaves its more work for them to cover in your absence and to have to go out and hire a replacement. People like having young eager beaver employees like yourself because you havent been beaten down by the world yet and you'll believe the promise of a promotion or big project thats coming "soon". Keep working hard, start looking for new job opportunities and study for some certs in your spare time.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Ask your manager to foot the entire bill (training hours on the clock, testing, materials) for the certification. He's already getting you at a discount if he admits that you would be better than your coworkers. Feel free to split the hours or something in negotiation. "A bit more experience and a certification" is code for "you've been happy until now at your current pay rate, I bet you'll be happy for 6 more months while I currently benefit from your skills at a higher margin."

Get a recruiter, actively job hunt.

He has already payed for the 70-410 training and exam. Not on the clock though. I'll talk to him again about using some hours to study at work. I think i can use the "If i learn something the company can benefit from, then it should be fine" excuse

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend you get your MCSA and then see what happens. In my current job, I was told I wasn't getting promoted until I got my MCSA, and then I got it and was promoted immediately with a pretty good bump in pay.

poo poo if they will pay for your tests, that's worth something even if you gtfo.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What the hell is a sysadmin award and did the company make it up and print it out for him in Publisher?

Serious answer, your boss is looking out for himself and the company. If a good employee leaves its more work for them to cover in your absence and to have to go out and hire a replacement. People like having young eager beaver employees like yourself because you havent been beaten down by the world yet and you'll believe the promise of a promotion or big project thats coming "soon". Keep working hard, start looking for new job opportunities and study for some certs in your spare time.

The sysadmin thing is pretty legit. Should i give more details? or would that reveal too much?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sefal posted:

The sysadmin thing is pretty legit. Should i give more details? or would that reveal too much?

Only if you're comfortable, but unless it's a legitimate and large 3rd party company it's probably bullshit. And it still might be anyway.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah, if you're on course to get your MCSA and somewhat happy, stick with it.

But update your resume, get your LinkedIn profile up to snuff. Lay the foundations for your escape once you have that MCSA and you don't get promoted.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sefal posted:

Is he a Microsoft Support Forums MVP? Was the award presented in jpeg format?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
He won sysadmin of a year in the Netherlands
Systemadmins from the country nominate each other. The top 10 get picked. After that a panel votes.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Sefal posted:

He won sysadmin of a year in the Netherlands
Systemadmins from the country nominate each other. The top 10 get picked. After that a panel votes.
That sounds of something that means absolutely nothing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

vibur posted:

That sounds of something that means absolutely nothing.

It's kind of cool. But I wouldn't set that as my lifetime goal.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
MCSA requirement could be a workplace conflict avoidance strategy. Having a metric or checkbox in place to justify the promotion heads off discussions like "why did Billy Bob get promoted to tier 2 in a month while I didn't?" as "he's not as awful as you" tends to rub people the wrong way.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Sefal posted:

Talked to my boss about promoting me.
It's not happening. Even though he believes that I can make the jump to tier 2 and even acknowledges that I am performing better than my other tier 2 colleagues. He will only promote me if I get MCSA certified and he wants me to get a bit more work experience. He agrees that I would excel at tier 2.
I've still yet to pass 70-410. Time to get off my rear end and just do it. I will ask for this promotion the moment I pass 70-412

The boss sounds like a great guy, but I would look for a new job somewhere else with the title you want. If I was cramming for three exams I would be too tired to be engaged at my job anyway

Do you actively use Windows AD as part of your job? If you're not already at that level, the 410-412 stuff is going to be even harder to learn since it would just be facts without a foundation. I haven't gotten a cert since my A+, but I leaf thru the MSCA materials as a reference sometimes. I work in an environment with 6 domains and I still find it incredibly stiff and boring

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 23, 2015

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hey whoever recommended tintri when I was debating storage options thanks it's real good.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Roargasm posted:

The boss sounds like a great guy, but I would look for a new job somewhere else with the title you want. If I was cramming for three exams I would be too tired to be engaged at my job anyway

Do you actively use Windows AD as part of your job? If you're not already at that level, the 410-412 stuff is going to be even harder to learn since it would just be facts without a foundation. I haven't gotten a cert since my A+, but I leaf thru the MSCA materials as a reference sometimes. I work in an environment with 6 domains and I still find it incredibly stiff and boring

Yeah I actively use Windows AD. I'm even going to migrate it soon. I will atleast be somewhat familiar with the mcsa questions.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My company has tomorrow and Friday off, and I took Monday/Tuesday off as that's all the PTO I thought I had, use it or lose it.

Hq is completely loving dead, no tickets have come in, my boss is on a boat in florida, and I'm not doing fuckall work wise. I logged in to adp and lo and behold, I have 12 hours still left, so I put in for the 31st off then hosed off work to the bar down the street. Working on an IPA after a shot of fireball before going home to my family in town.

Merry Christmas admins!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

devmd01 posted:

My company has tomorrow and Friday off, and I took Monday/Tuesday off as that's all the PTO I thought I had, use it or lose it.

Hq is completely loving dead, no tickets have come in, my boss is on a boat in florida, and I'm not doing fuckall work wise. I logged in to adp and lo and behold, I have 12 hours still left, so I put in for the 31st off then hosed off work to the bar down the street. Working on an IPA after a shot of fireball before going home to my family in town.

Merry Christmas admins!

You've just doomed yourself to a sev 1 outage at 4:59

I wish you the best of luck

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I would be fine with that, I can ignore my family!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Looks like I won this year!

Edit: used the wrong one with my name on it.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 23, 2015

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mayodreams posted:

Looks like I won this year!

By accepting that award you have given a gently caress

award revoked

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
ah so the less fucks I give the higher my IT career will soar. Thanks thread

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
unless flames are shooting out of it we're not doing a loving thing until Monday and even then its debatable if we touch it until after the New Year

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kashuno posted:

ah so the less fucks I give the higher my IT career will soar. Thanks thread

I've used this advice through 2 promotions and a team transfer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Less people in the office means things get boring as poo poo, I threw out a bunch of boxes of assorted plastic technocrap and updated the firmware on a bunch of switches... thrilling.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

unless flames are shooting out of it we're not doing a loving thing until Monday and even then its debatable if we touch it until after the New Year

Boss told us to basically take today and tomorrow off unless we actually have something to do, which nobody does.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
We have Christmas off and my boss told me on Friday that the 24th is "Dead after 6pm so don't even come in", so 5 day weekend for me. :toot:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Day 1 of my 5 day weekend.

12 texts, 4 meeting invites, 6 "high-priority" e-mails and one "Well you're salary, so..." talking to.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why is your phone/email on when you're on vacation? Turn that poo poo off, make yourself unreachable.

e: Our sister company has the right idea. When people go on vacation their user accounts and door tags are blocked. Even if they would want to, they can't access their email or get into the building until their vacation is over.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 23, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I strategically saved and placed 4 days of vacation for Mon-Thurs next week so hello 11 days off in a row. Hopefully nothing blows up that my team can't handle during that time.

I especially wanted to do that this year as my main and really only route to the office will be closed that week due to construction.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm on vacation until like Jan 6th, get owned

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm on vacation until like Jan 6th, get owned

11th. :banjo:

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Day 1 of my 5 day weekend.

12 texts, 4 meeting invites, 6 "high-priority" e-mails and one "Well you're salary, so..." talking to.

I assume then since you're on salary that your leave will be refunded. Being a salaried employee doesn't obligate you to work during your holiday.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

oTHi posted:

I assume then since you're on salary that your leave will be refunded.

Is there a labor site I can throw at HR for this? Last time I demanded refunded leave it turned into "Yeah-huh!"/"Nuh-uh!".

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately I'm in Australia, so our cushy worker-protection laws won't apply. To be honest, if my employer demanded I do stuff that takes more than 5 minutes while I was on leave, I would be making a huge fuss and be one step out the door.

If I were the absolute only person able to fix an issue that is critical, then I might help. If anyone else can do it, hell no. Meetings can burn in hell. Absolutely no excuse for being pulled into those.

Of course, your situation may be different.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be really surprised if there exists a place in the world where being asked to do work on days you've booked off as paid leave means that day still counts as leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd be really surprised if there exists a place in the world where being asked to do work on days you've booked off as paid leave means that day still counts as leave.

Welcome to America!