Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Moose King posted:

So does anyone have any tips for this? I've been playing since launch and it still seems like every single game for me is just a ten minute exercise of getting shot by someone I never saw and ending up going 5-20.

Play, play and play more. Knowing the maps inside out is step 1.

Swap guns, a lot. Then when you find one that you really loving like, stop swapping. Most guns handle differently, and when you find one that does what you want and suits your playstyle there's little point swapping out of it. For example, I use the DL-44 almost exclusively. I play close-range, objective-based, jetpack+bowcaster+scan pulse. Long range guns are worthless to me, and they all deal too little damage per shot to matter in point blank firefights.

Upgrade your cards. Bowcaster, for example, is such a cheesy easy kill. Jetpack + bowcaster is often a free double kill. There's absolutely no skill in killing with a bowcaster, charge it up, run round the corner and point it at their feet. But that's half my kills on some bigger maps. Upgraded scan pulse reaches a clear mile, and it's literally a wallhack. If they have it and you don't, you won't win the fight. All those times someone seemed to know where you were? He's scan pulsing, I guarantee it.

Pick up upgrades. All the time. If it's poo poo (manned turret etc) drop it and gently caress off. Infantry auto turrets, vehicle auto turrets, drop them all. Smart rocket/thermal imploder are literally free kills, fire them off in the objective and laugh.

All in all, gunplay is a big deal, but you can work around it, if like me, you're not a great shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I still don't understand why there are no squads or voice chat. Team based objective maps are a mess since nobody helps each other.

I agree, it sucks there is no voice chat. I just head in the direction that I think needs help. I've gotten pretty good (almost always in the top 5) using the EE-3. I played supremacy last night and on Jakku I noticed we were getting encircled pretty quickly. Particularly on that map, it happens a lot and you can play on that so there is a bit of tactics to that dont require talking directly to one another. Its almost predictable what people are going to do on some maps.

Moose King posted:

So does anyone have any tips for this? I've been playing since launch and it still seems like every single game for me is just a ten minute exercise of getting shot by someone I never saw and ending up going 5-20.

Go for the head. Pick a gun that works for you and get good at it for its useful range. I find the EE-3 to be the best all around (just me though). Grab a powerup and know when to dump it or use it.

Speaking of powerups, its weird because I seemed to get nothing but Thermal Imploders for every power up I was grabbing. I must have grabbed like 5 of them in a row.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 23, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Sith Happens posted:

I want customization options for Imperial officer uniforms, which lend themselves to all sorts of additional little details: black or olive uniforms, various rank insignia, cap or no cap, other helmet options like gunners, techs, Death Star troopers, plus uniform "armor" variants like Veers.

I'd love to see all this too but I doubt EA will get that granular with their "dad rock" shooter game.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'd like them to add Emperor's Royal Guards to the 'Shock Trooper' option.

Also, learning the maps is difficult, especially Endor. It's all just masses of trees and some of them have Ewok stuff in them.

But I'm always desperately trying to locate the Hero/Vehicle power-ups and I can't tell if they're always in the same place or if they keep changing depending on where the action is focused, as I've seen power-ups vanish as I approached them. I can only get the Hero one if I'm lucky enough to spawn right in front of it.

I still haven't ever located the Millennium Falcon power-up in Fighter Squadron. I did manage to become Slave 1 once, but I haven't been able to repeat it.

Chewie, Lando, IG-88 and Bossk would be my hopes, but it'll probably just be Stormtrooper With Orange Shoulder Thing and Stormtrooper with Blue Shoulder Thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'd like to apologize to the thread for not including "how do powerup/hero/vehicle spawns work!??" in the OP.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Steve Vader posted:

I'd like them to add Emperor's Royal Guards to the 'Shock Trooper' option.

Also, learning the maps is difficult, especially Endor. It's all just masses of trees and some of them have Ewok stuff in them.

But I'm always desperately trying to locate the Hero/Vehicle power-ups and I can't tell if they're always in the same place or if they keep changing depending on where the action is focused, as I've seen power-ups vanish as I approached them. I can only get the Hero one if I'm lucky enough to spawn right in front of it.

I still haven't ever located the Millennium Falcon power-up in Fighter Squadron. I did manage to become Slave 1 once, but I haven't been able to repeat it.

Chewie, Lando, IG-88 and Bossk would be my hopes, but it'll probably just be Stormtrooper With Orange Shoulder Thing and Stormtrooper with Blue Shoulder Thing.

All of the upgrades are located in the same place, but the hero/vehicle powerups change place every time. You can never guess them, so as to make sure people don't just lineup and camp them. They are meant to be luck of the draw.

As for TFA stuff, i hope the cantina wreckage becomes a blast map.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Crunkjuice posted:

All of the upgrades are located in the same place, but the hero/vehicle powerups change place every time. You can never guess them, so as to make sure people don't just lineup and camp them. They are meant to be luck of the draw.

This is wrong, jesus christ. The vehicle powerups don't move. They are in the same places every time, with separate spawning points from regular powerups. The hero tokens replace non-vehicle powerup tokens at random.

You can absolutely lineup and camp vehicle tokens because they are 100% consistent in spawn location. Only hero tokens are unpredictable.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008
A couple of dumb questions:

Is it intended that you have to lead really close range targets, like <10ft close?

Do missiles you fire vanish if you die before they reach their target?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Leading is absolutely the main skill to gunplay in this game and yes you have to do it from very close range. It's a factor of most shots unlike bf.

With that in mind, never stop moving in a gunfight. Never ever crouch unless you've gotten some distance and you just need somewhere to duck to get health back.

The guns are much easier to handle than in something like bfield but the fact they fire relatively slowly and the meta favours guns with lowish rates of fire means you can't blat out bullets everywhere and hope enough of them hit to kill, you have to actually place your shots.

Play in third person, let your opponent come to you where possible so you can step out and slot him in the face.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Anyone on PS4 having issues with their game staying online? The game keeps telling me I'm offline (I am not) and to sign in to my EA account. Restarting the PS4 dos nothing. When I go into the EA page in setting all I see is the user agreement - no option to even try and sign on.

Edit: looks like the EA servers are down. Merry Christmas everyone!

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 24, 2015

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kelly posted:

Anyone on PS4 having issues with their game staying online? The game keeps telling me I'm offline (I am not) and to sign in to my EA account. Restarting the PS4 dos nothing. When I go into the EA page in setting all I see is the user agreement - no option to even try and sign on.

Edit: looks like the EA servers are down. Merry Christmas everyone!

God thank you for posting this. I was just about to spend hours trying to fix my ps4

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Seems to be affecting PC too. loving ay

edit: it seems the people on the EA forums think this is a DDOS attack like one that happened last year?

I hate people

hhhat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 24, 2015

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

hhhat posted:

Seems to be affecting PC too. loving ay

edit: it seems the people on the EA forums think this is a DDOS attack like one that happened last year?

I hate people

It's affecting the mobile client as well. Sadness.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Lizard Squad??????

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Seems to be back up. I'm able to get into WA - though the lobbies are taking longer than usual to populate.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

EA Claus posted:

Congratulations! You have been awarded with 5000 credits!

Guess that's in response to the downtime?

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

hhhat posted:

EA in the christmas spirit yo. Spent that poo poo on scan pulses already.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

ShineDog posted:

Leading is absolutely the main skill to gunplay in this game and yes you have to do it from very close range. It's a factor of most shots unlike bf.

With that in mind, never stop moving in a gunfight. Never ever crouch unless you've gotten some distance and you just need somewhere to duck to get health back.

The guns are much easier to handle than in something like bfield but the fact they fire relatively slowly and the meta favours guns with lowish rates of fire means you can't blat out bullets everywhere and hope enough of them hit to kill, you have to actually place your shots.

Play in third person, let your opponent come to you where possible so you can step out and slot him in the face.

Thanks. Haven't played this since launch. It was probably a bad idea for me to play Battlefront II for a week straight before coming back to this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hhhat posted:

I don't know but it was definitely a nice surprise. There's also a holiday challenge through the 6th related to playing as Luke/Han with a reward that just slipped my mind.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Battlefront will be Original Trilogy only thank the Force

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/679889118759763970

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Don't tell the CD thread

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

I can only assume that this means that there will actually be a completely separate version for the sequel, making it an even bigger cash grab.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I may get this aggressively average game tonight and will be able to play it tomorrow

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why would you be happy Ep 7 isn't in it tho

1,2,3 I get

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

This is disappointing but not unexpected news.

reagan posted:

I can only assume that this means that there will actually be a completely separate version for the sequel, making it an even bigger cash grab.

Maybe they can make it a yearly game series. I hope the next one has zombies.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is okay. Hopefully with the DLC they'll cover as much OT content as they can and then Battlefront 2 (4?) will be all new stuff. It makes sense and it's smart business.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Also, the Ultimate edition is 25% off on Origin. https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/star-wars-battlefront/pc-download/base-game/ultimate-edition

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
There really isn't a lot from Ep7 to actually include. T70 xwing, 2 very subtly different types of tie, first order troopers. You barely see the resistance dudes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm hoping we get Naboo in a later expansion. Better suited to speeder bikes. Their announcement trailer actually showed that if I remember correctly.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be more interested in Ep 7 maps

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

ShineDog posted:

There really isn't a lot from Ep7 to actually include. T70 xwing, 2 very subtly different types of tie, first order troopers. You barely see the resistance dudes.

I really wanna look like a first order trooper tho

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Hellburger99 posted:

Maybe they can make it a yearly game series. I hope the next one has zombies.

I just realized that if they actually bothered to inlcude Clone Wars material, zombies are technically canon. :cmon:

The lack of anything not OT has got to be a sure sign that they're just making another game. There are too many weird/cool/interesting ideas floating around for them to say "Nah, let's just make another Hoth level. You never see enough Hoth in Star Wars!"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How do I switch to third person camera in the speeder? (Using xbone version)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Dpad down

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Maybe I havent seen it but cloud city, there are a lot of possibilities with that one.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Crunkjuice posted:

As for TFA stuff, i hope the cantina wreckage becomes a blast map.

EA has confirmed that there is no TFA DLC for battlefront.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Matchmaking seems to be fixed on PC, that's p cool.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Totally fine with this announcement. In fact I think I prefer it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Seems limitless considering the fact that sullust and jakku were never in the movies. They could just do any spot they want but there's still bespin and dagobah and the death star if they want to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:lol:
Looks like I won't ever be buying this crap.

• Locked thread