Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Has Hal2k ever actually responded to a comment or what. He is the ultimate poo poo-and-run poster. He never ever came back to defend his list of successful Canadian companies, one of his best.

Does Santa stick around for a chat? No. He's just a fat guy doing god's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's best to think of Hal_2005 as Hal from 2001 when his Logic Circuits are breaking down and poo poo and he starts to say and do all kinds of wrong things that he's positive are correct

I'm hoping he starts posting song lyrics before he just stops posting :allears:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In a lifted truck seating two...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You see the condo, but you rent the apartment across the street...

Why? Why would I rent??

It's just a question. Now, your toilet breaks and you--

But if the condo is right there, why would I rent?!?!?!

*flips table*

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hal 2005 is a later version of Hal from 2001 that was rejected for being too homicidal and crazy. Somehow it got itself out of the lab and has since found its niche working in finance with all the other homicidal lunatics.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Hal 2005 has the greatest enthusiasm for his mission of shitposting

If you don't like his thread contributions, maybe you should sit down, take a stress pill and calmly think things over.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think anyone is awake at night worrying about Hal's posting Jesus Christ lol

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'm guessing this is going to be a lovely Christmas for retailers. Downtown Vancouver and downtown Victoria have seemed awfully quiet this year.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The biggest shock would be to hear good news about the Canadian Economy at this point, I'm going to buy a gun and a bottle of whiskey and ride this poo poo out

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Lexicon posted:

I'm guessing this is going to be a lovely Christmas for retailers. Downtown Vancouver and downtown Victoria have seemed awfully quiet this year.

Basing off of our freight volumes, working in shipping, uhhh, yeah. poo poo's pretty bad.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler village seems a lot emptier than last year, too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I love just how many commentators are basically blaming the NDP or the federal Liberals. This country is so loving dumb.

This thread pretty much predicted that the conservatives would play the blame game once they got voted out of office.

The NDP destroyed the vibrant Albertan economy!!!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pharmacy business is booming. Cant keep any diabetic supplies or Plan B on the shelf heading into Christmas!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I work with the homeless. There's a LOT more of them in Alberta this year, so business is arguably booming v :) v

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

etalian posted:

This thread pretty much predicted that the conservatives would play the blame game once they got voted out of office.

This card is older than the incoming government blaming the previous government for fudging the books so half those campaign promises won't work out, sorry!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Playstation 4 posted:

Basing off of our freight volumes, working in shipping, uhhh, yeah. poo poo's pretty bad.

Interesting. I'd love to hear more about this if you're inclined and not bound by confidentiality (though my understanding is that it's impossible to get fired if you work in shipping :downswords:)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Playstation 4 posted:

You work in the railroad shipping business?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Land shipping, UPS, Purolator, FedEx stuff. One of the three.

Basically were usually running constant OT shifts and probably 12-14 53' trailers just out to our local places a day at this point of the year. This year we've barely cracked 6.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's agood time to start a new career in repossession, like the hero in GTA V.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat, might be a good time to buy some houses...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Someone should introduce the Futurama suicide booth to Alberta

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hopefully between two people someone will have a quarter from their trucks

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

drat, might be a good time to buy some houses...

I *might* have been looking up foreclosure listings...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

repo back truck equity

quote:

He already has the sense this oil price bust is going to be worse than the one brought on by the Great Recession in 2008 and 2009, which was followed by a relatively speedy recovery.

"This reminds me more of '82 and '83. It was bad and it was long... My view is this is going to be a long haul," Shortridge said.

"In some ways, every recession is the same in that the first thing that goes are the toys — so the motorcycles, the fifth-wheel trailer, the campers, the cottage," he said

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's okay guys, last night at a holiday party my drunk mom told me that because we elected Trudeau then optimism will sort out our entire economy in about six months.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

It's okay guys, last night at a holiday party my drunk mom told me that because we elected Trudeau then optimism will sort out our entire economy in about six months.

he'll talk softly to the bad economy and stroke her hair

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Lexicon posted:

News articles have been blaming the weather for the slump in retail sales lol

we are a nation of ostriches

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

sitchensis posted:

Lead by ostriches, McCallum blamed the weather for the lack of refugee flights.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

sitchensis posted:

haha, wow.

That being said, I doubt that Canadians en masse suddenly wised up about their burgeoning debt levels. And it's not like they pay for things via a means other than a credit card, anyway, which they have in spades. So I'm curious what underlies all of this.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-23/calgary-woes-spread-as-oil-patch-spending-cuts-deepen-in-2016

quote:

Crime is rising, home prices are falling and food banks are overwhelmed in Calgary as job losses spread. And the worst isn’t yet over in the heart of Canada’s oil patch.
Some of the city’s largest employers are poised to cut more jobs in 2016 as they reduce spending for a second straight year, adding to an estimated 40,000 oil and natural gas positions lost across the nation since the crude price rout began 18 months ago.

“We all know someone who has lost a job,” Naheed Nenshi, the city’s mayor, said in a speech this month, lamenting the “funeral"-like atmosphere in the business community.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

sitchensis posted:

Isn't this at least partially true though? I mean, my economic situation is just peachy, but walking to work in a t-shirt doesn't have that association with 'Christmas shopping' a foot and a half of snow might have.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azerban posted:

Isn't this at least partially true though? I mean, my economic situation is just peachy, but walking to work in a t-shirt doesn't have that association with 'Christmas shopping' a foot and a half of snow might have.

Sure, except when it's cold people also blame the weather for making it unappealing to leave your house and go shopping (c.f. economic dips during the "polar vortex" the last two years). It's a little strange to think that consumers are Goldilocks and will only purchase things if the weather is just right, not too hot, not too cold, just a tiny bit warmer, that's it, perfect, now I can buy that TV I wanted.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Good episode of under the influence. How weather affects marketing.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/how-weather-affects-marketing-1.2801774

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I bought a ton of model train stuff a couple years ago that I barely used or don't need anymore. Even selling at reduced prices because it's now "used" I'm about breaking even or even making a little money thanks to the dollar. Well, in terms of "number of canadian dollars" not purchasing power.

I'll be using that money to of course turn around and buy more goods in USD so I'm of couse not coming out ahead at all.

My tiny train equity :(

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Huh. So model train equity is a better investment than truck equity it seems. This is a sentence I am writing without a single hint of sarcasm. This is the world we live in.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I sold off my modest collection of low-tier automatic watches earlier in the year and got USD, I could have made much more if I'd sold them now :shrug:

That's life

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Albertans should sell themselves into indentured servitude.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Lead by ostriches, McCallum blamed the weather for the lack of refugee flights.

One of many factors but nice try.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

brucio posted:

One of many factors but nice try.

Oooooh sorry I didn't include the other totally valid and not ridiculous at all reasons he mentioned.

quote:

McCallum said factors beyond the government's control, including the weather and refugees wanting to say goodbye to friends and families, may not make it possible to meet its ambitious goal by year's end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Let's not pollute this thread with the endless hollow circlejerk found in CanPol, eh?